Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: ACM Artist of the Decade discussion

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars

ACM Artist of the Decade discussion

Next year should be the year when the ACM crowns the Artist of the Decade (following the pattern from the last 30 years). Here are the past winners:

2009: George Strait
    1999: Garth Brooks
    1989: Alabama
    1980: Loretta Lynn
    1970: Marty Robbins

I think Carrie is definitely a contender for this prestigious award, with arguably the biggest resume!

I thought it would be fun to make this a thread highlighting all of her accomplishments from this decade, the 2010s.

Post away!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SlAO8Bp2P1Q

Insane Carrie Fan
    I think she's a big contender. I'd say the top artists right now might be Carrie, Luke, Jason Aldean, and Blake Shelton. Another woman deserves it by now, so Carrie is the top contender for me.

Concert Stars
    One question— who votes for the Artist of the Decade?
    rainbow1 and brenda218 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I think she's a big contender. I'd say the top artists right now might be Carrie, Luke, Jason Aldean, and Blake Shelton. Another woman deserves it by now, so Carrie is the top contender for me.
    Good pount. It won’t go to Faith or Shania etc as this wasn’t their decade. It was Carrie’s. I guess it will depend on how strict they are with the time frames and who votes. If WME controls ut- Carrie has no chance.
    Suellen and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    It's between Miranda and Carrie.

^Agree! Actually is Miranda 10% and Carrie 90% but yeah its between them! Lol
    brenda218 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    i can't find a specific reference to the method of choosing the recipient (more may appear on the procedure closer to the time, in 2019). However, I believe it would be a "special award" like the lifetime achievements, decided by the ACM Board, not the membership - though don't take that as certain)

On the last award, to George Strait, it's been pointed out that he didn't win either EOTY or MVOTY in any year of the decade for which he was given this award - so it doesn't align closely with the annual awards voted by the members.
    It doesn't appear to align all that closely with critical approval either. To take one example, I saw this assessment, by Randy Lewis of the LA Times:
    "The award itself is more of a reward to someone who has never been one of country's innovators. Had that been the goal, Alison Krauss might have been the ideal candidate for the 2000s for all she's done to stretch the boundaries of country with a consistently inspired musical vision. Strait is neither a masterful vocal interpreter on a par with George Jones or Emmylou Harris, nor a writer to join the ranks of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard.
    He does, however, keep the wheels of the country music machine turning by recording songs that give country radio stations hits they can rely on year in and year out, and that spread the wealth among a broad spectrum of writers, music publishers and concert promoters.
    In this day and age, it's no wonder the country establishment sees that as a tradition worth this kind of special recognition."

Among points I've seen mentioned as contributing to his choice were his relentless touring (which included appearances with a wide range of other Country artists, across the spectrum); his 57 number ones (though these included many outside the decade being highlighted); his longterm, reliable, representation of the genre's image. Lee Ann Womack, one of the artists honoring him at the tribute, alluded to the steady image he portrays (and which sometimes leads to criticism from the more contemporary marketing interests on Music Row) in the song she especial.ly wrote for the occasion: "Just Stand There And Sing".

Whether similar considerations might apply again, or whether the whole scene has changed in the intervening years remains to be seen. In any case, Strait would be expected to make the presentation, in a "torch passing" gesture to his successor.

Concert Stars
    ^How could Miranda even be in the running when Carrie clearly outsold her by a massive margin, has much greater radio and chart success, etc- and a much bigger Appeal/Impact in general?

Oh wait.... It's the ACMS. They worship Miranda.

My bad.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^How could Miranda even be in the running when Carrie clearly outsold her by a massive margin, has much greater radio and chart success, etc- and a much bigger Appeal/Impact in general?

My bad.

WME does......

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

My bad.
    The person ask for our opinions and that's "MY" opinion. Thank You. Miranda and Carrie come onto the scene about the same time.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ and Tee was giving hers

if it's a woman it'll most likely be Reba.
    I just can't see them giving it to a 36 year old.They usually use these types of 'awards' to honor a whole career.

but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some some tired male act like Luke
    Claire2004, teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ and Tee was giving hers

if it's a woman it'll most likely be Reba.
    I just can't see them giving it to a 36 year old.They usually use these types of 'awards' to honor a whole career.

but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some some tired male act like Luke
    I would assume the artist of the decade should be someone who was at the top for the decade. Reba wouldn't get it, I'd assume. Would complain, but I doubt it. The 90s were her best shot. Garth was 38 when he received it, so there's a chance they'd give it to someone under 40.

Carrie is the top female contender, no question or contest, and there are a few male contenders as well.

Although one can never know how these things pan out, I think Luke Bryan may struggle to regain sufficient favour at the ACM to win this award. Quite apart from the fact that some may feel he has little beyond commercial popularity to unify support (and I believe this award will be seen by some of the Board as having at least as much to do with representing the spirit of the genre), Bryan seems to have lost support specifically for his apparent attempt to work the system in his eagerness to win the EOTY fan vote. He wasn't the only offender in that respect - Taylor Swift, the big spending record labels, and fan attempts to vote multiple times, and run down other artists in negative posts are all criticized as well in this article, explaining why the ACM abandoned fan voting.
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...-academy-music
    - but Bryan seems to have been seen as arguably the main offender. For those who don't want to read the whole article, this is the relevant paragraph:
    "In a 2013 campaign.... Bryan's website was temporarily fitted with a splash screen that encouraged visitors to vote for him, even allowing them to click through to the voting page on the ACM's site. Fans who went the extra mile and posted a message on Facebook or Twitter telling their friends how to vote also received a free video download."

Two developments stemmed from that wider controversy. Bob Romeo, the ACM's long term CEO - who defended fan voting in that article, and predicted its eventual return - later had his contract abruptly and unexpectedly terminated. (He was replaced briefly by Tiffany Moon as acting CEO, and then by Pete Fisher, moving from the Opry management). Fisher is likely to be seen as a unifier of tradition with contemporary relevance - and it's at least possible that his appointment could benefit Carrie, who was his most successful signing at the Opry, and whose loyalty, I feel, should carry some weight with Board members (Fisher himself, we should bear in mind, is an officer employed by the Academy, not one of the elected Board members).

The second development is that the ACM have banned artists or their representatives from soliciting votes in any category by either physical or electronic communication. (Enforcement may, of course, be difficult, but the consequences of discovery could still be be a deterrent, especially as those opposed to the practice have an incentive to blow the whistle on offenders)

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^^one would assume they'd give to someone who had a great decade but they last gave it to Strait who didn't do much.I think Reba is very much in contention,as is Chesney.I'm not trying to downplay Carrie's chances I just think more weight will be given to older artist.jmo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^^one would assume they'd give to someone who had a great decade but they last gave it to Strait who didn't do much.I think Reba is very much in contention,as is Chesney.I'm not trying to downplay Carrie's chances I just think more weight will be given to older artist.jmo
    I suddenly took notice of Kenny Chesney, when he recorded a Matraca Berg song and asked Grace Potter to sing it with him, lol.

Seriously, though, he does seem to be one of the main contenders - he tours extensively, often in concert with other Country artists - those are two aspects that are likely to carry significant weight. He is commercially successful, but stays loyal to the genre. He was one of the most vocal opponents of the out-of-favour fan voting. I'm sure he'd garner quite a bit of support.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I think George Strait, even having a much quieter 2000s than his 90s and 80s, was still more successful than many artists that decade, and being one of the biggest artists in country music, and still pretty relevant at the end of the decade, it seems they had to recognize him. Chesney is a very good possibility as well, a touring machine, for sure. If Carrie was to not get it, I'd be thrilled to see Reba take it for women, but we will see in a few years, I suppose.
    Last edited by adam1995; 02-20-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I was thinking earlier that Kenny was being left out here, but I would also agree that he would be a strong contender too....... His tours have hit Billboards list of the top grossing for many of years.... And lets face it, he is a great entertainer when it comes to his tours..... And he has had over what 28 number ones......

Concert Stars
    Well if they are just giving it to legends and icons then of course Reba will get it over Carrie. I naively thought it was the best of the decade, which was Carrie. If it is the best of all time, then it will go to Reba or Dolly etc.

They need to rename the award. It is very misleading.
    txacar, rainbow1 and Suellen like this.

Concert Stars
    I would say the contenders would be Carrie, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean, and Keith Urban.

George Strait definitely won for his work beyond that decade. They could want to give it to someone that's been around longer like Tim or Kenny. Reba or Alan Jackson is a possibility but George was very active in that decade, I don't know if Reba or Alan would have done enough this decade to win.
    adam1995 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    If they're going to give it to an 'older' artist -- one whose impact wasn't in this current decade -- I would suggest they need to rename the award to something like hall of fame artist of the decade.

brenda218 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast