Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: How did you hear about Carrie? (Curious)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'm glad some of you have mentioned Carrie singing "I Can't Make You Love Me" as the performance that first caught your attention (it would have done so for me as well, if I'd seen it then). I think it says a lot about Carrie's approach, as it seems a brave, and knowledgeable, choice for an "all or nothing" audition song. If it hadn't worked, it might have ended her chances for a music career (as she's already said she wouldn't have pressed on with one independently) - but as she was so good, it immediately made the judges aware of her exceptional talent, and both Simon and Randy noticed her empathy with the genre.

Although the term "Americana" wasn't used in that connection in the '90s, and wasn't widely accepted even in the early 2000s (when "Folk Rock" or Country Blues" were more likely descriptions), "I Can't Make You Love Me" would now be considered an "Americana" song. Co-writer Allen Shamblin is a member of both the Texas Heritage Hall of Fame, and the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame - so he could be said to span two major wings that constitute that genre. Pianist Bruce Hornsby is regarded as a major Americana artist, and vocalist Bonnie Raitt won Best Americana Album at the Grammys not long ago.

Some songs are written in twenty minutes - Allen Shamblin has said that he and his co-writer, Mike Reid, worked on "I Can't Make You Love Me" for six months, in the course of which they changed it from a fast, musically complex, Bluegrass song, to the reflective voice and piano mix of Progressive Folk and Blues style, that eventually made it one of the standout songs of the '90s, covered by artists in many genres. I'd be very pleased if Carrie experimented with a similar style of song on her next album. (She has had album tracks that I think go in that direction, "Like I'll Never Love You Again" probably being the most recent).

Allen Shamblin's defining contribution to the present decade has probably been "The House That Built Me", a song that expresses the sense of alienation from roots, and the sense of being an outsider, in an increasingly hostile society. He and co-writer, Tom Douglas, revived that song as the lead-in to a four song cycle for last year's Presidential election. Carrie has recorded another reflective, passage-of-time, song by Tom Douglas, "Forever Changed", that also has similarities in performance style.

But, in general a pure relationship song, that can be generalized to reflect on heartache, along the lines of "Wine After Whiskey", "Good in Goodbye", or "Some Day When I Stop Loving You" might suit her preferences better than one that aims to incorporate "message" and metaphor. I'd love her label to risk one that includes an "a capella" passage and transitions to a sympathetic light backing by someone as good as Bruce Hornsby, who can hold a musical conversation with the vocal, without either being too heavily produced.

Concert Stars
    Totally agree that her choice of ICMYLM was a bold one. This is a moment that the world will either remember or forget. And to think she chose to represent the most natural and evocative part of her voice I think was part of what made me take notice so quickly.
    Farawayhills, rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Never watched American Idol. Didn't know who Carrie Underwood was. When my son turned 16 and got his driving permit he played country music on the radio when he drove. Heard Jesus Take the Wheel and I was hooked. To Carrie and to country music. Regret not seeing her on idol, although I watched all her performances many times. Even started watching American Idol. LOL I am a one person country fan, and that is Carrie. Was very active on the CMT website and chat. After that was discontinued, went to another Carrie fan website, till that was discontinued, and found my way here. This site it awesome, her fans are awesome. She is very lucky to have such dedicated fans. Not a day goes by when I do not check the site. Don't always post, but always visit to get the latest news.
    ethelu, txacar, mofan and 3 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    For me it was American Idol. I was 14 years old and at the time, I wasnít out yet to friends and family. It was a time when I was careful about everything I did (how I talked, handwriting, etc.) because I didnít want to be considered feminine at all. But for some reason though, I had no problem displaying my Carrie fanaticism (is that a word?? lol). I was a huge fan from her audition and voted for her like crazy every show. When she won, I think I lost my voice from screaming so loud. Everyone knew too, and I never even thought of hiding it. So I just know that I was meant to be a fan, and maybe in some ways it helped me become more comfortable with who I was.

Then after American Idol, I donít know how, but I kind of missed the JTTW debut. I remember loving DFTRM though and following its chart run. Ever since then, Iíve followed every song on the chart, voted like crazy for all the fan-voted awards, and been the biggest fan that I can be! I even opted against going to the San Diego Zoo with my family once because I couldnít miss voting for Video of the Year at the CMT Awards lol I think it was the year Cowboy Casanova won.
    maddkat, hjj, txacar and 2 others like this.

Idol audition. Was lying down on the couch, saw Carrie, HEARD her voice, sat up and told my sister "I found my fav, if she doesnt crumble in Hollywood round, she will win!"

I still remember during Top 24, I was mentally crossing my fingers, hoping she will deliver during live show. And she did!

Been on this site ever since. Wished I was active and aware of online fandom back then though. I think I only signed up here out of curiosity but I wasn't around during the season. Would've been so much more fun watching and rooting for her every week with you guys here!

Quote Originally Posted by MSCarriefan View Post
    I first saw Carrie on American Idol. I think it was right after auditions were completed. I was 10 years old and would vote every night by hitting redial on the phone. I have been a fan since and now I'm 23 getting ready to graduate college a year older than Carrie was when I first was heard her sing.
    WOW. You literally grew up with Carrie's music!
    txacar and MSCarriefan like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    WOW. You literally grew up with Carrie's music!
    I really did! It's crazy to think about. I don't think I could have picked anyone better. Now I just need new Carrie music to be my sound track for my first year teaching next year.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    American Idol (I didn't watch it at the beginning Season 1) but I did on her season and so on.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    One piece of trivia that interested me, while re-watching the "I Can't Make You Love Me" clip - Bonnie Raitt gives the more usual American pronunciation of "patronize", while Carrie pronounces it the way we would over here. I don't know how widespread this variation might be in the US - but the two most usual pronunciations are illustrated on this page:

How to pronounce patronize in English
    ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

Know I started this thread but had a long weekend so I am finally going to tell y’all my story
    Ok I was 11 when Carrie audition 12 when she won was in the 6th grade (elementary) At the time I did listen to country but not enough to call myself a fan of country. Anyways for me it was Carrie personally that won me over and the clucking like a chicken was like the frosting on top of the best cake that you have ever eaten. Been a fan since 2005, listening to Carrie everyday on the school bus helped me survive middle school/ and high school.

American Idol 4 was shown on delayed telecast on TV. There was a thread in a local message board where there were pro-Carrie and pro-Bo posters. I remember posting this verse the day before the finale:

Big Old Bo is one formidable foe,
    But Randy said you could definitely blow,
    So go! Sweet lil Carrie, go!
    And win the big one to-morrow!

When I found out live online in the morning that Carrie won, I was so happy, I skipped around like a little kid.

My first post at Carriefans is about the awesome BHC video, if I recall correctly. (smile)

rainbow1, ethelu, maddkat and 1 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I must be one of the older fans (in age, 74). I have loved music all my life, sang in choirs, trios, etc. so that is why I watched American Idol from the start. I fell in love with Carrie as soon as I saw her audition. I thought what a voice, how sweet she is and at that time I thought how cute she was. Now I still think what a voice, but now it's her heart, her faith and her beauty. It's been wonderful to see how she has grown. No one will ever replace her as my favorite!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by kdprouty View Post
    I must be one of the older fans (in age, 74). I have loved music all my life, sang in choirs, trios, etc. so that is why I watched American Idol from the start. I fell in love with Carrie as soon as I saw her audition. I thought what a voice, how sweet she is and at that time I thought how cute she was. Now I still think what a voice, but now it's her heart, her faith and her beauty. It's been wonderful to see how she has grown. No one will ever replace her as my favorite!!!
    Ok you win, i will give you the year.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdprouty View Post
    You are only a couple of years older than me (I’m 71), but everything you said is the same with me. I never thought at my age I would join a fan club, or Carriefan, but I did with Carrie. After Carrie, I stopped voting in American Idol.
    liz278, txacar, gwade82 and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks cmuf2011 for starting this. It has been so interesting to read how everyone became a Carrie fan. She has fans from the young to the more mature fans. I don't think after all this time that I should be surprised, but she reaches a large group of people. She is a one of a kind person.

Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    Thanks cmuf2011 for starting this. It has been so interesting to read how everyone became a Carrie fan. She has fans from the young to the more mature fans. I don't think after all this time that I should be surprised, but she reaches a large group of people. She is a one of a kind person.
    That's so true. My 8 year old niece loves Carrie so much she can sing her songs.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Suellen and Gwade82 it's nice to know that I am not alone as a " Senior Citizen" on this forum. I have and hope to enjoy this forum and Carrie for many, many years to come. Can't wait for new music!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    You are only a couple of years older than me (Iím 71), but everything you said is the same with me. I never thought at my age I would join a fan club, or Carriefan, but I did with Carrie. After Carrie, I stopped voting in American Idol.
    I am a crusty old retired military person and Carriefans is the only fan site I have ever joined. The girl had me at first sight and then she sang. She is also a christian. Greatest combination.

P. S.
    I don't join anything, so I was amazed and still am that Carrie has been able to keep me completely enthralled by her career and success. One in a life time.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    You are only a couple of years older than me (Iím 71), but everything you said is the same with me. I never thought at my age I would join a fan club, or Carriefan, but I did with Carrie. After Carrie, I stopped voting in American Idol.
    I still miss the days on the CMT Carrie board. Good times!!
    Suellen, sd20 and Smokyiiis like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymusicfan15 View Post
    I still miss the days on the CMT Carrie board. Good times!!
    Me too.
    sd20 likes this.

•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast