Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: How did you hear about Carrie? (Curious)

Hil
    I can't make you love me AI... I think I was on this site pretty close to the beginning. Can't remember the date, deleted my original account.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    My brother called one night and said that I should watch this show called American Idol. I did and Carrie was the first contestant that I saw. I was an instant fan and still am. At the time I thought WOW this girl can really sing. The second thing that caught my attention was that she was the first person that I could remember that the camera loved as much as Elvis. Thanks to my brother. Then 10 or 11 years later my brother calls an invites me to his home in south Florida. Once I arrived his wife had gotten tickets for us to see Carrie live in Sunrise Florida.

Family rules. Since good things come in threes I can't wait to see what Carrie has in mind for my brother and me in the future.
    oldyfan and Kizmet311 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I can't make you love me AI... I think I was on this site pretty close to the beginning. Can't remember the date, deleted my original account.
    Same here. After Carrie won I searched and eventually found this site. I still visit almost daily. Thanks to everyone that keeps us informed on all things Carrie.
    Hil likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cmuf2011 View Post
    American Thanksgiving is Thursday which means the holidays season is here. Now I know everybody on here isn’t a Christian, and that we come from all over the world with different beliefs, culture, traditions,etc.

Now with that being said how did you here about Carrie? ie American idol, talk show, award show, radio, a friend/family member, etc)

I’m just curious especially for the international fans

Wrong thread mods feel free to move this to the proper section if this isn’t the right place for it
    I watched American idol and have been a fan ever since..

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Mine is probably a pretty unusual case - I'm not really a Mainstream fan, and don't have much interest in Pop culture in general. I've never watched a whole episode of American Idol - but when someone who catches my interest comes through it, I do look up some of their past performances on YouTube, and have saved some of those.

Unlike many of you, I'm not primarily a fan of "big voice" singers - and I actually wish Carrie would use that style more sparingly. I'm mainly interested in how a singer catches and expresses moods, and for me the "big voice" style works best when the particular song has a specific reason for requiring it (the desperate sense of disbelief and loss in "Just A Dream", for example.) But the Greatest Hits album didn't work for me - as a collection, I was too conscious of the stylistic repetition, and felt that succession of sometimes over-produced radio hits needed the albums they came from to provide balance and allow for exploration of the wider range of songs that Carrie records.

As a modern Country singer, aspects of Carrie that I particularly admire include her strong genre loyalty, and her willingness to find interesting, thought-provoking, heartfelt and non-clichéd themes (something that I agree has similarities with McEntire and McBride at their best). Also, Carrie takes pains to make links between her contemporary songs and the longer stream of Country tradition - something I've often tried to point out when I comment on her songs. This aspect is often relatively neglected in other young singers (and probably reflects other influences that Carrie leant to growing up, such as Loveless, Messina, and the Dixie Chicks). Carrie strikes me as firmly rooted in the "Nashville Sound" tradition of Country Music, but in that respect, she is probably the greatest contemporary representative of a long stream of female Country singers, in a way that strikes me as a passing of the torch, combining the particular ethos of the current generation with a deeper line of continuity. Carrie seems to me to be unlikely to move far outside the "Nashville Sound" - which is only one aspect of the Country tradition, albeit the most commercially successful - but I don't see that as necessarily a limitation. The point is that what she performs is done in a heartfelt and committed way. There seems nothing fake, routine, or contrived in Carrie's work - what she gives us is what she believes in - and that, more than voice is what I admire most in a singer.

The story of how I found Carrie is one I've told before on this board (and some may recall the outline of it) - but for those who don't, these are a few details.

I used to be keen on MySpace - a great place to hear bands, and people talking about them. It was a time (post Dixie Chicks fallout) when the gulf between Mainstream and Roots Country was particularly bitter - and radio chart focused sites were of little interest to some of us. (Carrie did have a personal site, but it was only accessible to people who knew her College nickname - I think she's more or less revealed that since - but at the time, it made it virtually closed to most people). But what impressed me was that some Roots-leaning artists I followed were talking about Carrie, and obviously saw more in her than just a celebrity chart music singer. Ashley Monroe, for example was a big fan, and "Flat On The Floor" was the first Carrie performance I checked out (banjo and fiddle on a New York street, and a girl correcting the announcer's "sexy" to "sassy" made me take notice!).

The other factor was some Roots fans running her down on a message board, and seeing a young girl defending her. That girl wouldn't give in, and I joined her to counter the sweeping bias from the objectors. It was obvious that they actually knew as little about Carrie as I did then, and were really attacking the branch of the genre they saw her as representing. But the fact that other people, committed to music, saw so much more in her made me want to find out more too.

The last factor was when Sunny Sweeney praised her, and a poster here gave the address of this site. I came here, rather tentatively, and have stayed ever since. I'm sure I'm sometimes annoying - but music is something everyone has different tastes and priorities on. I guess - here's to ten years more!

I was an avid follower of American Idol, watched her audition with I Can't Make You Love Me, and became a fan ever since.

Started watching AI from season 3 and then I saw Carrie (season 4, of course) and fell in love... but I remember it took me a while to get to CF and after Carrie won AI I didn't care too much about her and only noticed her again when SH was released.
    Hil likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Mine is probably a pretty unusual case - I'm not really a Mainstream fan, and don't have much interest in Pop culture in general. I've never watched a whole episode of American Idol - but when someone who catches my interest comes through it, I do look up some of their past performances on YouTube, and have saved some of those.

Unlike many of you, I'm not primarily a fan of "big voice" singers - and I actually wish Carrie would use that style more sparingly. I'm mainly interested in how a singer catches and expresses moods, and for me the "big voice" style works best when the particular song has a specific reason for requiring it (the desperate sense of disbelief and loss in "Just A Dream", for example.) But the Greatest Hits album didn't work for me - as a collection, I was too conscious of the stylistic repetition, and felt that succession of sometimes over-produced radio hits needed the albums they came from to provide balance and allow for exploration of the wider range of songs that Carrie records.

As a modern Country singer, aspects of Carrie that I particularly admire include her strong genre loyalty, and her willingness to find interesting, thought-provoking, heartfelt and non-clichéd themes (something that I agree has similarities with McEntire and McBride at their best). Also, Carrie takes pains to make links between her contemporary songs and the longer stream of Country tradition - something I've often tried to point out when I comment on her songs. This aspect is often relatively neglected in other young singers (and probably reflects other influences that Carrie leant to growing up, such as Loveless, Messina, and the Dixie Chicks). Carrie strikes me as firmly rooted in the "Nashville Sound" tradition of Country Music, but in that respect, she is probably the greatest contemporary representative of a long stream of female Country singers, in a way that strikes me as a passing of the torch, combining the particular ethos of the current generation with a deeper line of continuity. Carrie seems to me to be unlikely to move far outside the "Nashville Sound" - which is only one aspect of the Country tradition, albeit the most commercially successful - but I don't see that as necessarily a limitation. The point is that what she performs is done in a heartfelt and committed way. There seems nothing fake, routine, or contrived in Carrie's work - what she gives us is what she believes in - and that, more than voice is what I admire most in a singer.

The story of how I found Carrie is one I've told before on this board (and some may recall the outline of it) - but for those who don't, these are a few details.

I used to be keen on MySpace - a great place to hear bands, and people talking about them. It was a time (post Dixie Chicks fallout) when the gulf between Mainstream and Roots Country was particularly bitter - and radio chart focused sites were of little interest to some of us. (Carrie did have a personal site, but it was only accessible to people who knew her College nickname - I think she's more or less revealed that since - but at the time, it made it virtually closed to most people). But what impressed me was that some Roots-leaning artists I followed were talking about Carrie, and obviously saw more in her than just a celebrity chart music singer. Ashley Monroe, for example was a big fan, and "Flat On The Floor" was the first Carrie performance I checked out (banjo and fiddle on a New York street, and a girl correcting the announcer's "sexy" to "sassy" made me take notice!).

The other factor was some Roots fans running her down on a message board, and seeing a young girl defending her. That girl wouldn't give in, and I joined her to counter the sweeping bias from the objectors. It was obvious that they actually knew as little about Carrie as I did then, and were really attacking the branch of the genre they saw her as representing. But the fact that other people, committed to music, saw so much more in her made me want to find out more too.

The last factor was when Sunny Sweeney praised her, and a poster here gave the address of this site. I came here, rather tentatively, and have stayed ever since. I'm sure I'm sometimes annoying - but music is something everyone has different tastes and priorities on. I guess - here's to ten years more!
    Well I’m glad you came here!! Always love reading your thoughtful and very detailed posts :-)

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Been a fan since I seen her audition on AI!!! Started watching Idol religiously during season 2 but watched some of season 1. Knew she would make it big and she totally deserves it! I remember telling my mom that she was my favorite contestant instantly after seeing her. My mom really liked her on Idol too. I've been fortunate to have seen her many times in concert and extremely luck to have met her also!
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Concert Stars
    American Idol - but not how you think. I was always a casual watcher of AI and can even remember liking how in 2005, Bo Bice was bringing a different sound to the show, lol..

Personally, it was not until AI 2007, when Carrie appeared twice that I paid serious attention to her. I think hearing her sing Wasted sparked something subconsciously inside me; by the time she sang I’ll Stand By You I was interested enough to see her concert a year later
    HuiZ likes this.

I heard Just A Dream on radio. I really liked song and got chills from her voice. I listened to music then bought cds. I watched her live on award show. Loved her voice even more live.
    Claire2004 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Season 4 of Idol was the first season of the show I watched. Everyone at my work kept talking about the show so finally in Season 4 I thought I would tune in. I spotted Carrie immediately and honestly thought she would be the winner. Even though I had no idea the premise of the show! lol I faithfully watched the entire season, and voted like a true maniac! The night of the final performances I forced my husband and son to vote with me! I was so nervous the next night, for I feared Bo Brice would be named the winner. I have fallen more and more in love with Carrie with each passing year. I have voted through the years till my fingers felt as if they would fall off, I have watched every television performance, own and have listened too many hours to count of her CD's and DVD's, have attended Fan Club parties, seen Carrie at the Grand Ole Opry several times, and I've attended every concert tour and I have even traveled out of state to catch her in a 2nd show of her tour. Yep, I'm a Carrie Fan for life. I lurked here for over 2 years before I took the plunge and signed up to join this wild and crazy family! I am so happy I tuned into Season 4 of Idol and even happier to know and share our mutual love of Carrie with each and every one here on the boards! Thank you all!
    _luvqry, Claire2004 and Kizmet311 like this.

Huge Carrie Follower carrieforV's Avatar
    Through AI! Voted like crazy still a huge fan 11-12 years later! Love Carrie!
    Been on this site since AI! Don’t post much, but I like it better then the fan Club!

Huge Carrie Follower MSCarriefan's Avatar
    I first saw Carrie on American Idol. I think it was right after auditions were completed. I was 10 years old and would vote every night by hitting redial on the phone. I have been a fan since and now I'm 23 getting ready to graduate college a year older than Carrie was when I first was heard her sing.
    rainbow1, glenn7, gwade82 and 1 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Having come late to being a Carrie fan, I missed a lot, but how did I never see Carrie play the piano, before? As with everything Carrie sings, Mama's Song sounds so much better live.

https://youtu.be/M8AgfVKakWM
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    American idol!
    glenn7 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    I was an avid follower of American Idol, watched her audition with I Can't Make You Love Me, and became a fan ever since.
    Ditto!!!
    Claire2004 likes this.

Concert Stars
    ITs so fascinating how many saw AI and stuck with Carrie all this time. Its also fascinating to hear the many times Carrie performed just one song and a fan was won over. It says a lot about her and her voice.

I am one who was immediately aware when she sang her audition that we were dealing with a voice that was different. And she used that style of voice that faraway likes where there is not a lot of drama just pure natural singing to create mood and emotion.

I was watching AI to hear her performances specifically but as soon as she sang Alone I was a fan. I went back to work the next day and it was all the buzz. But as some still liked their favorites and criticized her robotic demeanor. It made me bare down even harder to commit to her winning. I voted a lot!! ha ha ha.... But I also wanted her around long enough for others to see what I was seeing deep down inside her. Something that was not always obvious on the surface when others were willing to be so theatrical she would just stand their and sing. And I Loved Her For That!

She won and I made it my mission to find anything and everything I could about her in an effort to make sure she did not disappear into the TV-Land past...
    Well that was not difficult. One Parade magazine sitting on my coffee table turned into a whirlwind that has lasted 12 years!

And I have enjoyed every bit of it. (except of course the long haul of convincing every fraction of music that she actually deserved what she had and where she was........and she has done that now in spades)
    ethelu, gwade82 and Kizmet311 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    What's so amazing about her now is that her performances have come so far, where she doesn't even look the slightest bit nervous ous about killing a song. She's so much more natural and not as stiff as on Idol but of course 13 years and hundreds of performances will do that.
    rainbow1 and Kizmet311 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Her likability or (IT factor) throughout the show just helped her win.... She stayed true to herself and never gave up vocally.. When she sang Angel's Brought Me Here, that truly sealed the deal for me..... But I never ever thought that Bo was going to win..

And about Carrie's voice, even though I relate her voice as a big voice singer, even in her lower range or natural style of singing, she still has power to her voice vocally...... That is what makes my hair stand on end is when she gets to that note naturally you are like wow Carrie you just went there...... Like Softly and Tenderly when she went there with that note. I was like man, that is a gift from god..... That is main reason why I also compare her to Whitney Houston, cause she could get to high notes without effort
    rainbow1, rainbow1, liz278 and 3 others like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast