Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By txacar
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By jptexas

Thread: Since WHEN was Carrie Underwood part Native American?

Junior Carrie Follower

Since WHEN was Carrie Underwood part Native American?

I swear I'm Carrie's biggest fan, but apparently a few things have slipped under the radar over the years. I just discovered she's part Native, or is this a myth?

Concert Stars

MUSIC
    OFFSTAGE: Carrie Underwood Debunks Her Wikipedia Myths

by alison bonaguro 3/15/2013(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that’s happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
    This is why you cannot always trust Wikipedia (The Free Encyclopedia). On their list of notable Scottish Americans, they have Carrie Underwood ‘s name. But is she? “That’s on my Wikipedia, and I don’t know why. Someone keeps putting it up there. According to that page, I’m also a member of a Native American tribe,” she told the British newspaper The Guardian in a recent Q&A . “We keep changing it, and they keep changing it back. They’re adamant I’m Scottish.” But then she admits it’s possible that she could be a little Scottish and maybe even a little Irish. Underwood’s father told her that her great-great-grandfather was born in Ireland, but he didn’t say where in Ireland. “I sent him a text asking him, and he never texted back,” she said. “I was like, “I should know this.” I’m playing there soon, and I’m sure if I say, ‘My great-great-grandpa Green was born here,’ the fans would want to know where, and I’d have to say, ‘Dad never texted me bac
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    HaHa! Come on Dad!!
    txacar likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    HaHa! Come on Dad!!

I read that interview awhile back, but what about this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcvIyEpNRGU

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I read that interview awhile back, but what about this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcvIyEpNRGU
    That interview confirms that it isn't wholly a myth, but she says it's unrecorded - and that has allowed a myth to grow around it.

The mythical side of it is probably wishful thinking, from some Oklahomans. A couple of articles that I saw, published in Native newspapers, were the original source of the Wikipedia reference, but those links have long since disappeared. The main headline read something like "Creek Nation Girl Wins American Idol", and it did develop into a fairly elaborate back story, with readers talking about her keeping up her tribal registration all through College, and even captaining one of the Creek girls sports teams.

However, Rainbow and others showed me references when Carrie told the Fan Club that she probably did have some Native ancestry way back, but it was vague and unrecorded, and wasn't Creek. My guess would be that those papers were letting themselves get overly excited by the fact that she came from what had been a Creek Nation town before Oklahoma statehood, and that other excited people supplied them with details that they badly wished were true. Identity is a big issue, especially for people who may feel marginalized - and it is not hard for people to get carried away, turning fantasy into wishful fact.
    -----------------

Actually, quite a few Country artists do have Native ancestry. The late "Queen of Country Music", Kitty Wells, was proud of her Cherokee ancestry, and appeared more than once at the Nammys, and sometimes wore their commemorative award medallion.

Crystal Shawanda, from the First Nations of Canada, is a promising recent artist who almost cracked the American radio top twenty in the late 2000s, peaking at #21, but since seeming to suffer from the usual problems of women on radio. This is an example of her work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhoevrOkaow

And this is Tommy Nash, who was the Dixie Chicks' lead guitarist up to the Fly era, who is an Oklahoma Native American. How I miss those days!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56iCNsKRbZw
    Josh, rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    If she were a registered Native American, she would have gotten her education pretty mush free....and her Medical expenses. We all know Carrie had many jobs to work hard for her education, and I'm sure her parents contributed to that. JMO
    Farawayhills and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    I think many would be surprised if they did their dna history what they would find. Many many Caucasians have native blood in them as well as a mix of European. It would be no surprise if Carrie did.

You have to be at least 1/8th to get any government support. I am 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Native. I never bothered to register and have paid for my entire education....
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think many would be surprised if they did their dna history what they would find. Many many Caucasians have native blood in them as well as a mix of European. It would be no surprise if Carrie did.

You have to be at least 1/8th to get any government support. I am 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Native. I never bothered to register and have paid for my entire education....
    Interesting. I didn't know anything about those percentages. My dad always said his grandmother was Native American, which I guess would have made me 1/8, but I have never had anything to officially confirm it.
    rainbow1 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    If Carrie has a Native American background, great, she’s related to the original natives of this country. If she doesn’t have an American Native heritage, well she’ll join the American immigrant club that the majority of this country belongs to.
    Mirasa45A likes this.

•