Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree4340Likes

Thread: 2017 CMA Awards

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Guys good news sort of. Carrie made it to
    Round 2 for EOTY Female song single video for DirtyLaundry. She will likely becweeded out on most of those but EOTY is deserved due to her fall tour.
    Where did you see this? I'd be interested to see the others making it.
    lolita55 and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    Come on UMG!!! Work some magic!!!!

Doesn't Carrie always made it to the second round in all the categories? The final round is always the problem.
    maddkat, teesharky and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    Where did you see this? I'd be interested to see the others making it.
    It's not posted anywhere. I just got the info from a friend who is a CMA voter.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Doesn't Carrie always made it to the second round in all the categories? The final round is always the problem.
    haha exactly my friend. I am finally accepting that it makes no sense to get excited or expect anything from the CMAS- or ACMS anymore. Both are just ridiculous and biased.

Ie- sorry but there is no way in hell that Jason Aldean deserved EOTY at ACMS. For what? He does not do it for me musically whatsoever, much less as an entertainer. At least Garth Vader could justify his CMA win with his Massive tour, despite doing nothing else in the eligibility year. Carrie still deserved it over him as she was the total package last year- not just a massive tour but 4 number 1s and a platinum album, among other things.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Oh, okay. Did they happen to mention any others for song, single or album? The artist categories are pretty much always the same, but the song and album categories are interesting.
    lolita55 likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ I will go ask. I assumed Miranda got in for everything, tin Man, etc. But I hope Chris Stapleton got nominated for Halo. That song is so beautiful.
    adam1995 and lolita55 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    haha exactly my friend. I am finally accepting that it makes no sense to get excited or expect anything from the CMAS- or ACMS anymore. Both are just ridiculous and biased.

Ie- sorry but there is no way in hell that Jason Aldean deserved EOTY at ACMS. For what? He does not do it for me musically whatsoever, much less as an entertainer. At least Garth Vader could justify his CMA win with his Massive tour, despite doing nothing else in the eligibility year. Carrie still deserved it over him as she was the total package last year- not just a massive tour but 4 number 1s and a platinum album, among other things.
    Even my dad said that he didn't think Jason didn't deserve the EOTY at the ACM's.Yeah,he doesn't do it for me either musically or entertaining wise.I just find his music boring & overall just blah.Garth I can see with his massive tour but not much else.The CMAs or ACMs are so biased that apparently neither talent or a sell out tour matter to the voters of those shows because the either don't watch her in concert or they think that she doesn't do enough to merit winning that award.She did deserve it after the MASSIVE tour she had last year,4 #1s & a platinum album all of which I loved to pieces!!I can't figure out why she doesn't get the well deserved EOTY award because in my opinion,she more than deserves the award because she fits the description of the category pretty well,imo.Their skulls must be pretty thick to think that she doesn't deserve that award,which we all know she does!!
    teesharky and lolita55 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    Even my dad said that he didn't think Jason didn't deserve the EOTY at the ACM's.Yeah,he doesn't do it for me either musically or entertaining wise.I just find his music boring & overall just blah.Garth I can see with his massive tour but not much else.The CMAs or ACMs are so biased that apparently neither talent or a sell out tour matter to the voters of those shows because the either don't watch her in concert or they think that she doesn't do enough to merit winning that award.She did deserve it after the MASSIVE tour she had last year,4 #1s & a platinum album all of which I loved to pieces!!I can't figure out why she doesn't get the well deserved EOTY award because in my opinion,she more than deserves the award because she fits the description of the category pretty well,imo.Their skulls must be pretty thick to think that she doesn't deserve that award,which we all know she does!!
    They have to know that she deserves the award. I personally just don't think that they care. I mean why would they, they have no consequences to their actions.

They just do whatever they want year in and year out, and for whatever reason none of the other agency's have the same pull and power as WME, and if that never changes then nothing will ever change.

Concert Stars
    ^ yes agree. They have no morality or concern for who they are hurting or who deserves the award most. They wanted King Garth to win, so he won. They didn't care who else deserved it.

The Jason win is so much more confusing though. At least you can understand the Garth win on a certain level: The Old Boys Club have their King back and they wanted to give him the crown again. But Jason? What the hell. I just don't get it.
    Carrieslegs84 and lolita55 like this.

Concert Stars
    I suppose there is a possibility of a song/record of the year for DL (I think it is a great song for this kind of recognition, though I just admit I don't know if its eligible.) I would not be interested in seeing TF (though again I will admit I won't fight it either, wink)

But I will admit there are a few songs that I will be more than a little bit annoyed if I see nominated as Song/Record of the Year and yes "Tin Man" will be at the top of that list. Average songwrite/average production/average vocal performance/poor audience success...... But just watch it snag a nom... yes I will be annoyed.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I suppose there is a possibility of a song/record of the year for DL (I think it is a great song for this kind of recognition, though I just admit I don't know if its eligible.) I would not be interested in seeing TF (though again I will admit I won't fight it either, wink)

But I will admit there are a few songs that I will be more than a little bit annoyed if I see nominated as Song/Record of the Year and yes "Tin Man" will be at the top of that list. Average songwrite/average production/average vocal performance/poor audience success...... But just watch it snag a nom... yes I will be annoyed.
    I believe DL is eligible.

And "Tin Man" will get at least a song nomination and very very very deserving of it and a win.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post

Well, I'd be annoyed if it doesn't get a nomination (but I'm not counting any chickens...see my caveat below)

If Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram and Jon Randall are to be thought of as only "average" at songwriting, I despair of ever converting you into a Country Music fan (smile).

On the production, I can see what may be the problem for anyone who's either very Pop-leaning, or very Traditional-leaning. Frank Liddell and Glenn Worf are longstanding Miranda regulars, and know how to give her variety and individualism a good setting - the new element on this project is Eric Masse, who definitely lines up with the Alternative wing. Although Carrie also went "East Nashville" for "Storyteller", I've noticed that some fans on this board do seem to have the most reservation about some of Jay Joyce's more innovative production (which has general similarities to Eric Masse's "Progressive Roots" approach to music), and seem more at ease with some of the other songs on Storyteller. By similar reasoning, some of the conventional industry may (and, in fact, seem to), find the off-format production of much of "The Weight of These Wings" a step too far, and think of Miranda as snubbing them.

However that may be, it's calling Miranda's vocal performance "average" that really has me shaking my head! For me, that is a vocal performance to die for - a heart rending vulnerability and fatalism, that tears at the emotions.

"Poor audience response" may be largely an illusion - probably coloured by the primary importance that traditional listeners in Mainstream Country still attach to radio. The Triggerman (Kyle Coroneos) had a recent article on this on his blog. He points out that radio (that has certainly largely rejected this album project) is heavily manipulated by the industry, who push through a succession of chart topping hits, giving "Boggins turn" to , mainly, one after another male, Pop-influenced singers. The impression - which radio loves us to believe - that this is what the public want - Kyle argues, is shakily founded. He points out that the broader Hot Country Songs chart is much more consumer driven, and generally harder for the industry to manipulate. Although it sometimes gives similar results (e.g for Sam Hunt, and Florida Georgia Line), it also throws up striking differences in other cases (where an artist - often, in Kyle's examples, a female artist - does substantially better in streaming and sales than she does on radio airplay. For Miranda, this was most noticeable with "Vice", which reached number two on Hot Country Songs, and has already been certified individually as platinum. It's also apparent, to a lesser, but still significant degree , in the progress so far of "Tin Man".

How this ties in with the nominations is harder to judge - which is why I'm counting no chickens. If the industry is not only not behind, but even strongly averse to, this album project, they may try to swing the CMA vote against it (In which case, we may end up with some good new boy crooning something else with a title vaguely like "Back road as overgrown and shady as a politician's body", or whatever). But that may not happen, or may not succeed - I'd love to see the project, and material from it, get some well deserved love from the voters.
    adam1995, Momin, ethelu and 1 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I would love to hear how Carrie would take on "Tin Man". It's just a fantastic song all around.
    Farawayhills, ethelu, sd20 and 1 others like this.

I think Faraway has made some valid and excellent points.

I've always been happy for Miranda winning awards because her unique artistry, especially when compared to the music being produced over the last few years, is one that will stand the test of time and transcends beyond what one might consider as seasonal songs.

"The Weight of These Wings", personally for me, has been one of the most thought-provoking albums I have listened to in recent years and the very fact that me (and many other listeners that I've read posts by) keep going back to it to discover new meanings and new layers to the songs, the album and Miranda herself (as a person and as an artist) says so much about the poignancy of the record. Tin Man is just one of the exceptional songs on the album and I believe is an extremely new take on heartbreak, one that at least I haven't heard before; it's not just heartbreak but also introspection and dealing with a larger question of emotions and love rather than merely "I broke up and I need some relief". Her vocals, especially the "ooh" of the chorus, is like a lament and has a haunting effect, and it's almost like a bird expressing grief (it does sound like that to me, perhaps because of having the imagery of the wings and birds in my head).

Perhaps my analysis of the album and song wasn't all that significant but my read point being that this album and its songs are not only brilliant right now but are one of the most brilliant in recent times. I think it also deserves recognition in all-genre categories at the upcoming Grammys. Let's be thankful she didn't release other singles from the record, otherwise she would have scored double nominations in most categories! (We Should Be Friends was a single but don't think it's as good as something like Tin Man, Well-Rested and To Learn Her.)

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I would love it if Carrie would do some more introspective songs. I've always been attracted to those type of songs.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    My favourite song on Storyteller is "Like I'll Never Love You Again", and "The Girl You Think I Am" is also in my top three or four. Both of those are pretty different for Carrie, and are more driven by feelings and (especially in the latter case) by reflective introspection. But Carrie seldom seems to perform them (and Kizmet pointed out earlier that some of Carrie's own remarks suggest she really feels more at home with songs that are both more forceful performance numbers, and also ones that are relatively more detached, in terms of role playing).

I hope, nevertheless, she does continue to experiment with songs of that type - at least as album tracks. (In the case of singles, I think "Smoke Break" - my second favourite - was stylistically a good compromise. It showed, in my view, a stronger empathy with the subject, and addressed a range of quite heartfelt feelings - but also allowed Carrie to keep elements of her more forceful singing style, and also adopt a more "third person" characterization approach)

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Tee that is awesome that you have a friend that is a cma voter. Does your friend have any insight as to why WME has so much power in regards to these award shows.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I have to kind of chuckle myself, but if there is any song on Miranda's CD that I would say is the best, is Tin Man...... Those are the type of songs I feel Miranda is at her best with...... I don't understand why it did not do well on Radio, I was expecting it to do better.......

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    My favourite song on Storyteller is "Like I'll Never Love You Again", and "The Girl You Think I Am" is also in my top three or four. Both of those are pretty different for Carrie, and are more driven by feelings and (especially in the latter case) by reflective introspection. But Carrie seldom seems to perform them (and Kizmet pointed out earlier that some of Carrie's own remarks suggest she really feels more at home with songs that are both more forceful performance numbers, and also ones that are relatively more detached, in terms of role playing).

I hope, nevertheless, she does continue to experiment with songs of that type - at least as album tracks. (In the case of singles, I think "Smoke Break" - my second favourite - was stylistically a good compromise. It showed, in my view, a stronger empathy with the subject, and addressed a range of quite heartfelt feelings - but also allowed Carrie to keep elements of her more forceful singing style, and also adopt a more "third person" characterization approach)
    I for one am not a die hard fan of traditional country music, but really enjoyed it from time to time from various artists throughout the years....

Smoke Break was one of the songs on the top of my list from the CD as well.. And I still feel to this day that Carrie should include more traditional style songs, because if anyone can sing the daylights out of and pick a great song to do it with, would be her........ Plus the recognition from those so called traditional critics would come around for her as well...... Again a pet peeve of mine since Country music is not all about that sound anymore which they still give the most recognition too....

•  
    Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast