Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree591Likes

Thread: 2017 CMA Awards

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I feel like Universal takes her even one step further from the elite insider CMA voters anyway..... so... meh!

They will use this year as another opportunity to focus on Miranda's "meaningful project". And will sprinkle in Maren, and Ballerini... Watch for Lauren to get a FV nod for her hit single...

This will definitely not be Carries year anyway, but neither should it be Mirandas,.... but it will be....
    Why? Isn't Universal successful at these shows? Isn't Luke on a Universal label and he's won EOTY?

But either way, it's still mostly WME that controls who wins. Hopefully a little more progress is made this year, but who knows.

^Right, and Luke is with WME.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    ^Right, and Luke is with WME.
    Exactly, the real common denominator here is WME, not labels. I still think Universal will one day get her EOTY, but there probably won't be any major changes until serious action is taken to combat the block voting, and that would probably require a major overhaul at the top. At this point I'll expect the minimum, hope for Entertainer at some point, and just enjoy the hosts.
    Last edited by adam1995; 08-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Concert Stars
    Universal does have good pull at award shows, but I agree it is WME that runs the show.
    rainbow1 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    txacar, liz278, teesharky and 3 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Some predictions.

---Entertainer of the Year

Luke Bryan
    Florida Georgia Line
    Eric Church
    Chris Stapleton
    Jason Aldean

---Male Vocalist

Luke Bryan
    Chris Stapleton
    Dierks Bentley
    Eric Church
    Thomas Rhett

---Female Vocalist

Carrie Underwood
    Miranda Lambert
    Maren Morris
    Kelsea Ballerini
    Lauren Alaina

---Album

From A Room (Chris Stapleton)
    Weight of These Wings (Miranda Lambert)
    Dig Your Roots (FGL)
    The Breaker (Little Big Town)
    Welcome Home (Zac Brown Band)

---Group

Zac Brown Band
    Lady Antebellum
    Rascal Flatts
    Old Dominion
    Little Big Town

---Duo

Florida Georgia Line
    Brothers Osborne
    Dan + Shay
    Big & Rich
    ?

---Single

"Blue Ain't Your Color" (Keith Urban)
    "Better Man" (LBT)
    "Body Like A Backroad" (Sam Hunt)
    "God, Your Mama, And Me" (FGL and BSB)
    "Road Less Traveled" (Lauren Alaina)

---Song

"Either Way" (Chris Stapleton)
    "Tin Man" (Miranda Lambert)
    "Better Man" (LBT)
    "In Case You Didn't Know" (Brett Young)
    "Blue Ain't Your Color" (Keith Urban)

---New Artist

Lauren Alaina
    Jon Pardi
    Chris Lane
    Luke Combs
    Midland

---Music Video

Honestly, I don't even watch music videos for these songs anymore, so who knows?

---Vocal Event

"Speak to A Girl" (Tim and Faith)
    "God, Your Mama, and Me" (FGL and BSB)
    "Craving You" (Thomas Rhett and Maren Morris)
    "Flatliner" (Dierks and Cole Swindell)
    "Kill A Word" (Eric Church and Rhiannon Giddens)

Sort of a boring, down year in my opinion.
    teesharky, txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Your picks are very good actually. They make me sad, but they seem spot on. I also predict just 1 CMA nom for Carrie- Female Vocalist. I don't think she will get EOTY despite the fact that she deserves it due to the 2nd half of her tour. They will hold her quiet 2017 against her and ignore the first half of the tour.

I do think you should include Shania Twain in the Female Vocalist category. Her two singles might be enough to get her a slot, despite not having an album in the eligibility period. They will want her at the show for her big comeback.

I don't think Shania will win anything as her singles are flopping, but she is a huge star with a big comeback album. So I think they will nominate her for Female.

I would guess:

Carrie
    Miranda
    Shania
    Kelsea
    Marin Morris
    Last edited by teesharky; 08-14-2017 at 07:41 PM.

^^The most interesting category for me is the Album one - who will win, Chris or Miranda? Both WME artists, both awards favorites. Who will WME campaign for more?
    txacar, rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    It better be Chris Stapleton. His album is way better and Miranda has won more than enough to the point of nausea.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I'm not so sure about Shania, at least for this year. Next year, because maybe after the album is released this Fall and we can see its full impact she'll get nominated. But, then again, she might be, I wouldn't totally be against it at all. I'd like to see her perform "Poor Me" on the show.

Concert Stars
    Chris S feels like years ago! Is he still eligible?

It does feel like a down year in that the predictions that Adam1995 is suggesting (and I have no doubt are appropriate) all feel like old music and old projects.

Sadly, and knowing I sound like a broken record, the only thing that will truly bother me is if Miranda, yet again, snags a bunch of noms and buzz. Anyone else who would have released an album almost 2 years ago that sold no more than 250,000 and had multiple flops would even get a mention. She will likely get SOTY/AOTY/FVOTY..... Truly its absurd!

There may actually be an "reverse-carrie-discrimination" swing that will affect her negatively. My point: Maybe in years where Carries seems like "the other viable woman" voters feel a need to bolster Miranda. No Carrie might suggest no need to push so hard to keep Miranda up, and thereby votes float in other directions....(granted its a stretch...) But part of me has always felt that the industry needs to promote and bolster Miranda almost strictly due to Carries overshadowing of her in the every other commercial way...... With no need to do that this year, I just wonder what legitimate reason they would have to support a project that did not resonate with an audience and an artist who has had a fairly lack-luster album cycle. Face it, if it were not Miranda that album would not even be close to "in the running"...
    teesharky likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^Chris released an album in May. He is very much in the eligibility period for this year's show. But yes, this year seems rather lackluster, no real excitement about nominees. I'm just hoping that Brad and Carrie's tenth anniversary is really fun and exciting!
    Last edited by adam1995; 08-15-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Chris S feels like years ago! Is he still eligible?

It does feel like a down year in that the predictions that Adam1995 is suggesting (and I have no doubt are appropriate) all feel like old music and old projects.

Sadly, and knowing I sound like a broken record, the only thing that will truly bother me is if Miranda, yet again, snags a bunch of noms and buzz. Anyone else who would have released an album almost 2 years ago that sold no more than 250,000 and had multiple flops would even get a mention. She will likely get SOTY/AOTY/FVOTY..... Truly its absurd!

There may actually be an "reverse-carrie-discrimination" swing that will affect her negatively. My point: Maybe in years where Carries seems like "the other viable woman" voters feel a need to bolster Miranda. No Carrie might suggest no need to push so hard to keep Miranda up, and thereby votes float in other directions....(granted its a stretch...) But part of me has always felt that the industry needs to promote and bolster Miranda almost strictly due to Carries overshadowing of her in the every other commercial way...... With no need to do that this year, I just wonder what legitimate reason they would have to support a project that did not resonate with an audience and an artist who has had a fairly lack-luster album cycle. Face it, if it were not Miranda that album would not even be close to "in the running"...
    Miranda's album hasn't even been out a year yet? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love TWOTW, regardless of how much it has sold or how well it has done on radio. I think it's an amazing album. I think it easily deserves an album win over Chris Stapleton's 9-song project (which I love as well, but not as much as TWOTW). I don't think that Chris's second album is as good as his first, although I do love the song Either Way.

Carrie deserves an EOTY nomination for the second half of the Storyteller Tour, but I can't disagree that voters seem to forget anything that happened before January.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

They probably will give Miranda two Album of the year awards, one for every cd. Lol

Concert Stars
    ^ Agree. It is sickening and embarrassing for everyone but Miranda Lambert to see this disgraceful obsession.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Agree. It is sickening and embarrassing for everyone but Miranda Lambert to see this disgraceful obsession.
    To be fair she seems rather uncomfortable beating Carrie in very clear Carrie-dominated years, she's even said multiple times now Carrie should have beaten her. That should be enough to say that's she's embarrassed.
    ethelu and Momin like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Miranda's album hasn't even been out a year yet? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love TWOTW, regardless of how much it has sold or how well it has done on radio. I think it's an amazing album. I think it easily deserves an album win over Chris Stapleton's 9-song project (which I love as well, but not as much as TWOTW). I don't think that Chris's second album is as good as his first, although I do love the song Either Way.

Carrie deserves an EOTY nomination for the second half of the Storyteller Tour, but I can't disagree that voters seem to forget anything that happened before January.
    Thanks for keeping me on track. I did not know Chris had a new project at all. ha ha ha ha......

And for Miranda, I am absolutely sure that her base loved this album. I think it was much closer to who she is as an artist than say something like Platinum. I am just making comparisons to commercial success that usually follows award recognition. And that it almost never does with Miranda. Most recording artists have big years and the award season reflects that. Weather that is a fair analysis of artistry (and it is not) is beside the point. The point is that is how the industry promotes and sells its product. So when you have one artist who does not follow any comparable path to award success gobbling up more award wins or nominations than any other person in the history of the genre, it should at least be looked at and an eye brow raise to it.

Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway. This will be the same show as it always is. We will enjoy Carrie being front and center as one of the most visual and recognized faces in the industry and within the music industry as a whole, and then Miranda Lambert who no one has seen in a year will be awarded and named yet again The Queen Of Country Music!

(thank God for Universal and a new focus for Carrie and us fans.........mmmmmm)
    lolita55 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^^^ Patrick, so many of my sentiments echoed there.......

I for one am glad that the move to Universal is the new focus for her...... As long as WME has the hold, ML will always be a thorn at the Carrie fans side, especially the unwarranted wins in so many categories, that were rightfully the real and dominating Queen of Country music.....
    rainbow1, lolita55 and teesharky like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    ^^^ Patrick, so many of my sentiments echoed there.......

I for one am glad that the move to Universal is the new focus for her...... As long as WME has the hold, ML will always be a thorn at the Carrie fans side, especially the unwarranted wins in so many categories, that were rightfully the real and dominating Queen of Country music.....
    I am so hoping that another female comes in and prevents Miranda from winning anymore FVOTY awards for a while. Because as much as I love her she is so overawarded, and she doesn't deserve it for this album. With as much hype as it had she has only sold 400, 000 copies of it, and other than Vice all of her singles have flopped.

I would be OK with her winning album of the year, but I still think she should not have won it for four the record or platinum, so if it goes to Chris instead I would be OK with that too.

Concert Stars
    Guys good news sort of. Carrie made it to
    Round 2 for EOTY Female song single video for DirtyLaundry. She will likely becweeded out on most of those but EOTY is deserved due to her fall tour.
    txacar, ethelu, Suellen and 7 others like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast