Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Why doesn't Carrie perform "So small" anymore?

Concert Stars

Why doesn't Carrie perform "So small" anymore?

This question may have been asked numerous times, but i'm new here so forgive me. I didn't get to witness the blown away tour in person, but I do have the concert dvd; and i noticed that during that tour she didn't perform it. Maybe she did, but I don't know. I haven't heard or seen about it being performed during the Storyteller tour either. So I just wonder the cause of her no longer adding it to her setlist. Too hard to sing? Does she hate it? lol. This is a question i've been wanting to ask for awhile.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    She can only fit in so many songs in a set list. Usually 21-22 songs. She showcases 8 songs from the new album (RR, DL, CB, HB, SmB, CCA, CDS, WINKIAW), which only leaves room for 14 hits. Obviously, she sings a group song with the boys and then she has been rotating the cover of IWALY with IKYW (still don't quite understand that one, but whatever). So, when it comes to past hits, she pretty much keeps the upbeat songs (better for a concert atmosphere) or the big hits like JTTW. Although I adore ballads, they can slow a concert down and I think Carrie likes to keep the energy up.
    lovelyT likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ she could easily sing SS in place of the sleep inducing CDS

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Well, there are lots of things she could sing instead of CDS, lol. SS wouldn't be my first choice though. Keep IWALY and sing IKYW instead of CDS. Or better yet, sing Chaser or Relapse or TGTYIA or LINLYA from the new album! Or a fan favorite like WAW or FOTF. Or bring back the SYA mashup - I've never gotten to hear that live since it was more of a summer festival thing. Or a cover of Alone!

Yeah, so many options, but my first choice would be another Storyteller song. SS would still be way down my list.
    DazzledByCarrie likes this.

Concert Stars
    for the life of me I can't remember what CDS is! ha ha ha ha

Part of it might be that SS was so specific to an era and a sound that was decidedly pop leaning. It may be that she is trying to focus more on the types of songs that her audience is going to want to participate in, in one way or another.

I do remember the feeling at the Hollywood Bowl that there were a few too many "moments" where she focused on the big vocal anthems. And too much of that can take the energy out of the event depending on your audience. SS was one if them......

(btw, I love SS, but too many slow power ballads are too much)
    lovelyT likes this.

Concert Stars
    ...how happy would I be if one day she added WAY!!
    opry051008 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post

Part of it might be that SS was so specific to an era and a sound that was decidedly pop leaning. It may be that she is trying to focus more on the types of songs that her audience is going to want to participate in, in one way or another.

I do remember the feeling at the Hollywood Bowl that there were a few too many "moments" where she focused on the big vocal anthems. And too much of that can take the energy out of the event depending on your audience. SS was one if them......

Clock Don't Stop, lol
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    No thanks! (wink)
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^^ hearing sing WAY just once would be amazing!!

CDS is a slow, do nothing ballad

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Well, there are lots of things she could sing instead of CDS, lol. SS wouldn't be my first choice though. Keep IWALY and sing IKYW instead of CDS. Or better yet, sing Chaser or Relapse or TGTYIA or LINLYA from the new album! Or a fan favorite like WAW or FOTF. Or bring back the SYA mashup - I've never gotten to hear that live since it was more of a summer festival thing. Or a cover of Alone!

Yeah, so many options, but my first choice would be another Storyteller song. SS would still be way down my list.
    lol, different strokes...I much, much prefer SS to IKYW. IKYW is a good vocal but lyrically it does nothing. SS has both.
    DazzledByCarrie likes this.

Concert Stars
    I can definitely see CDS having a stall in a concert setting.

I actually wish she could do some of the genuinely upbeat songs she has had: I Ain't In Checotah Anymore! Young And Beautiful! This Town! Songs Like This!

I think at this point she could take a few of her famous slow songs and kind of wind them into a medley and be done with it. JTTW/IKYW don't really need to be sung all the way through to remind people of how great they were.......

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I love slow songs and I could listen to her sing a whole set of just those, but I know that it doesn't work for the arena crowds. I don't think IKYW needs to be in the set at all, honestly. It wasn't a single and while it was a fan favorite, it was included in two major tours already, so it shouldn't be included. At this point, her setlist should consist of songs from the new album and past singles only, really. I love SS, really do - my mom and I danced to it at my wedding and it would be more justified than IKYW since it was a single.

And yeah, I think CDS is a real slow-down point. It is the weakest of the three "pop" songs on the album with vague lyrics and is not and will never be a single, so there is no logical reason for it to be included, so it must be that Carrie just likes to sing it. She sounds great on it, but it is definitely a waste of a spot on the set list.
    DazzledByCarrie and maddkat like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I still think she needs to replace CDS with Chaser or Relapse.
    lovelyT, Kizmet311 and carrieguy2 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower DazzledByCarrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I love slow songs and I could listen to her sing a whole set of just those, but I know that it doesn't work for the arena crowds. I don't think IKYW needs to be in the set at all, honestly. It wasn't a single and while it was a fan favorite, it was included in two major tours already, so it shouldn't be included. At this point, her setlist should consist of songs from the new album and past singles only, really. I love SS, really do - my mom and I danced to it at my wedding and it would be more justified than IKYW since it was a single.

And yeah, I think CDS is a real slow-down point. It is the weakest of the three "pop" songs on the album with vague lyrics and is not and will never be a single, so there is no logical reason for it to be included, so it must be that Carrie just likes to sing it. She sounds great on it, but it is definitely a waste of a spot on the set list.
    Has Carrie spoken about her favorite song on Storyteller? It tends to be a ballad (WOTW, SWISLY, & FC) and, with the exception of SWISLY, it's usually not the fan favorite ballad from the album. I wouldn't be surprised if it's her personal favorite and that's why she included it.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    maddkat likes this.

Concert Stars
    I wish Carrie would be more creative in how she sings and incorporates older songs into her concert setlist. I know she likes to sing songs as they were originally recorded and not mess with them too much because that's how the general audience knows and likes them, but I think it could bring something new to older songs and maybe even make way for more songs in the form of a medley. We know Carrie/her team can be creative with song production (e.g. Temporary Home at the ACMs, Church Bells at the CMTs, Blown Away medley at the CMAs, Heartbeat and Take Your Time at the Grammys, etc.), but unfortunately that happens pretty rarely and is usually confined to award show performances.
    lolita55, maddkat, HuiZ and 2 others like this.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    I wish Carrie would be more creative in how she sings and incorporates older songs into her concert setlist. I know she likes to sing songs as they were originally recorded and not mess with them too much because that's how the general audience knows and likes them, but I think it could bring something new to older songs and maybe even make way for more songs in the form of a medley. We know Carrie/her team can be creative with song production (e.g. Temporary Home at the ACMs, Church Bells at the CMTs, Blown Away medley at the CMAs, Heartbeat and Take Your Time at the Grammys, etc.), but unfortunately that happens pretty rarely and is usually confined to award show performances.
    She does though i.e. LN and SB... And the SYA mash-up though the other is not her song... I do agree though she should do more.. It could even be snippets of songs just like what she did with GOOTT and Country Roads Take Me Home...

Maybe the reason why she doesn't sing SS is that it is probably tiring to sing? Or maybe she's choosing the most successful songs only?

Who Are You?

UGH. My least fav Carrie song ever.

I'd rather hear CDS twice than WAY :/..... not kidding. lol
    pklongbeach and Kizmet311 like this.

Also, I agree that IKYW needs to be retired. Great vocals always, yes... but it already had its time of showcase.

Kinda annoyed with the absolute no love for Relapse or Chaser. Some day I hope someone gets to ask her if she ever consider fan favourites before deciding on setlist.

Concert Stars
    It does seem odd that if she released Chaser as a single, why not have it at her concerts. Seems a bit odd.

As for Who Are You...... y'all cra cra..... ITs Amazing!

Junior Carrie Follower xboom28x's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    So Small is an incredible power ballad that I have been waiting for her to duplicate ever since. I don't know what she has on hold but I hope there is another SS in there somewhere and it makes the next album. I'd trade CC for SS any day of the week.
    HuiZ likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast