• 9 Post By rcramer
  • 4 Post By MelissaD
  • 3 Post By MelissaD
  • 1 Post By Gator
  • 1 Post By bluetb4

Thread: "A showcase of Carrie's under-utilized head voice"

Insane Carrie Fan

"A showcase of Carrie's under-utilized head voice"

Of course I had a hand in helping with this video as well, as I'm sure could have been predicted LOL. A video like this has been long over-due. These moments are so rare that most people don't even realize that she has these notes in her range.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Of course I had a hand in helping with this video as well, as I'm sure could have been predicted LOL. A video like this has been long over-due. These moments are so rare that most people don't even realize that she has these notes in her range.

Love this. Thanks for including the SOM notes. She is incredible. Had no idea she was reaching those notes at such an early age.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Check out this showcase of her belts in Mexico w/ the music lowered a bit to emphasize her voice even better!! I swear, if she doesn't sing this live on the next leg I'm going to be very very VERY upset ...

rainbow1, Gator, txacar and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I love her head voice
    txacar, rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    I love her head voice
    Really wish she'd use it more, it's so bright, angelic, and effortless. It's so easy for her to access, even when she was younger ... imagine if she was actually trained in it.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Below is a write up from a lady that followed American Idol through Season 1 and would critique each singer from each season, she has a blog that she does and it has some very interesting write ups about American Idol vocalists. Her name is "Masterclasslady", (she has an impressive music career) I get on her once in a while for not writing more of Carrie and one day I was on the site and low and behold she posted Carrie's performance of SITW from the American Idol final gala and here is what she had to say. I thought this would be appropriate to share here....

I have been meaning to add this gorgeous Carrie Underwood performance of her hit single , “Something In The Water“, which was showcased during American Idol’s Farewell Season.
    Carrie was one of many alumnae who participated in the Gala Finale of American Idol Season 15. I loved each and every performance on this special show, one which has discovered and nurtured so many stars over the past 15 years.
    Undoubtedly, Carrie remains one of their brightest and best discoveries. Her numerous awards and record-breaking album sales speak volumes.
    However, this song, in particular, highlighted Carrie’s crystal clear vocal and emotional range. She can belt like the best of them but, like flipping on a light switch, can integrate pure head voice with technical ease and security.
    For instance, her lovely soprano voice when she sang the words “I’m Changed” provided sharp contrast to her more muscular sounding voice when she sang “I’m Stronger“. This is nuanced singing at its best, folks. Carrie is very committed to telling her story through her expressive vocal delivery. The words mean something to her and, as a result, to us as well. I was deeply moved by this genuine, heartfelt performance
    DaisyTweets, txacar, mofan and 6 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    Below is a write up from a lady that followed American Idol through Season 1 and would critique each singer from each season, she has a blog that she does and it has some very interesting write ups about American Idol vocalists. Her name is "Masterclasslady", (she has an impressive music career) I get on her once in a while for not writing more of Carrie and one day I was on the site and low and behold she posted Carrie's performance of SITW from the American Idol final gala and here is what she had to say. I thought this would be appropriate to share here....

I have been meaning to add this gorgeous Carrie Underwood performance of her hit single , “Something In The Water“, which was showcased during American Idol’s Farewell Season.
    Carrie was one of many alumnae who participated in the Gala Finale of American Idol Season 15. I loved each and every performance on this special show, one which has discovered and nurtured so many stars over the past 15 years.
    Undoubtedly, Carrie remains one of their brightest and best discoveries. Her numerous awards and record-breaking album sales speak volumes.
    However, this song, in particular, highlighted Carrie’s crystal clear vocal and emotional range. She can belt like the best of them but, like flipping on a light switch, can integrate pure head voice with technical ease and security.
    For instance, her lovely soprano voice when she sang the words “I’m Changed” provided sharp contrast to her more muscular sounding voice when she sang “I’m Stronger“. This is nuanced singing at its best, folks. Carrie is very committed to telling her story through her expressive vocal delivery. The words mean something to her and, as a result, to us as well. I was deeply moved by this genuine, heartfelt performance
    Wow, thanks so much for sharing this. I had never seen it before. I remember that lady's reviews of her performances during the Idol run. She knows her stuff.
    Gator, liveasong, txacar and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Wow, thanks so much for sharing this. I had never seen it before. I remember that lady's reviews of her performances during the Idol run. She knows her stuff.
    She really does and some of the ones that she writes a lot about or (favorites of hers) Kelly, Adam Lambert, David Archuleta, David Cook......... And I can see why she loves Adam and David Archuleta, they were favs of mine as well... talk about great voices.....

Insane Carrie Fan
    There was one part of her evaluation that really reminded me of what another vocal coach had said when asked about Carrie's technique in a comment on one of the voice coach's youtube videos. The part where the Masterclass lady said: "She can belt like the best of them but, like flipping on a light switch, can integrate pure head voice with technical ease and security.
    For instance, her lovely soprano voice when she sang the words “I’m Changed” provided sharp contrast to her more muscular sounding voice when she sang “I’m Stronger" seemed to be a more general take on what the other vocal coach said in regards to Carrie's singing in The Sound of Music, particularly on why she seems to handle the higher notes in head voice more easily than she does her middle notes in chest voice. It's a critical analysis and very interesting to read. Here's what she said.

Singing F-Bb5 is a different exercise than singing C5 for the lyric soprano. C5 is in a critical sub-passaggio area of the lyric soprano middle voice that can be much harder to manage (intonation, acoustics) than F-Bb5. As a country/pop singer, Carrie's approach to her middle voice is to pull the chest voice up in a way that she can't sustain in the upper register because of the passaggio area's interference. It sounds like she has two mismatched voices. Julie Andrews, as an operatically trained lyric soprano, displayed an evenness throughout her registers; the switch from cricothyroid dominance to thyroarytenoid dominance and back is seamless. It sounds like once voice. One of the most egregious things I find about Carrie's singing is her vowel. Regardless of register, she sings it by spreading her mouth horizontally in a "smile." The resulting high larynx (spreading your mouth horizontally pulls the larynx up) makes the vowel too bright. It sticks out every time she sings it, and causes her a lot of tension in an area of her range that would otherwise be very simple territory for her. I suspect Carrie using the smile technique on her high Bb as well, given people comment on how she smiles when she sings it. A number of pedagogues, including famous singers turned voice teachers in retirement teach the smile approach to high notes because it raises the palate. Since Carrie is singing the Bb5 on an open vowel, the larynx stays low. So, the note doesn't become overly bright like it does when she sings . That's why it wasn't problematic in that case. I also suspect that Ms. Underwood has a slightly larger voice than the average lyric soprano because she still manages to sing through the tension in her middle voice and sustains the voluminous passages. That's a characteristic of a lirico spinto soprano, which in Italian means a lyric soprano with an enhanced ability to handle bouts of voluminous singing. I would say that Carrie fits that bill. Her head voice, however, reveals her as a textbook lyric soprano example. Her normal style of singing (in her middle range, in a heavy chest voice) tends to mask that. With that said, she does have an exceptional instrument and the aforementioned technical issues are seen as NON-issues within her line of work, so I can't fault her for them.
    mofan, bluetb4 and Gator like this.

Concert Stars
    So much interesting musical information. Thanks everyone! I love Mexico and would absolutely LOVE Carrie to sing Mexico on this next leg of the tour! I'll be attending in Indy Oct. 4th!
    bluetb4 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    So much interesting musical information. Thanks everyone! I love Mexico and would absolutely LOVE Carrie to sing Mexico on this next leg of the tour! I'll be attending in Indy Oct. 4th!

I'm on board for Mexico!! Hope she includes it in the fall set-list!!
    Gator likes this.

•