• 4 Post By MelissaD
  • 5 Post By txacar
  • 4 Post By MelissaD
  • 4 Post By MelissaD
  • 5 Post By MelissaD
  • 2 Post By MelissaD
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 2 Post By MelissaD

Thread: New video about Carrie's vocals (her highest "belts") ...

Insane Carrie Fan

New video about Carrie's vocals (her highest "belts") ...

Another Carrie fan on youtube mentioned to me that (s)he wanted to make a compilation video of Carrie's upper belts since they're under-utilized and most people probably haven't heard them. Knowing that I'm a mega Carrie fan and vocal freak myself, (s)he knew that there was no one to consult better than myself as far as helping find clips to use for the video lol. So here it is! They also managed to filter out a lot of the music and background noise so that her voice could be heard as clearly as possible! Pretty cool. A lot of rare clips as well.

Not gunna lie, watching this video makes me a little sad because she has so much potential to be an INSANE upper belter, but she never had enough interest to develop the proper technique for it I guess.
    Smokyiiis, Gator, bluetb4 and 5 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Well what was the highest note sustained in HGTA?? It was amazing just how long some of those notes were held from her......
    Gator likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    Well what was the highest note sustained in HGTA?? It was amazing just how long some of those notes were held from her......
    Eb5, a semitone below E5. She hits that note in a LOT of her songs. All throughout Wasted (to wake up one day and FIIIIIIIND; the COLOR of the night), So Small (in the chorus, on the words "MOUNTAIN" and "SEARCHING," and then of course the 'so SMAAAAAAAAALL' at the bridge), Good Girl, O Holy Night (on the diVIIIIIIIIIIIINE), the super-long note in Angels Brought Me Here, Lessons Learned, I Just Can't Live a Lie, Flat On The Floor, Last Name ... I can go on and on lol.

Here's a diff video the same user uploaded yesterday comparing Carrie with Adele.

Gator, bluetb4, teesharky and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Ahh okay they used other songs to showcase the EB5 that was in HGTA.........

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    Ahh okay they used other songs to showcase the EB5 that was in HGTA.........
    Yeah, the reason why people always assume the one in HGTA was much higher is because she was sick in the Vince Gill performance and she had to put forth more effort than she normally does on that note. She hits it in the chorus of Wasted and So Small and even the bridge and it's like "yeah whatever .." because she hits them like she's just taking a sip of cold water. Haha. The longest she's ever hold an Eb was "Angels Brought Me Here" and the last big "DIVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE" to end the "O Holy Night" performance from her 2009 holiday special.

Concert Stars
    Xtina06 also did the video comparing Carrie and Julie Andrews in Sound of Music. Carrie's high notes are so beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbWqDWbbJc

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    Xtina06 also did the video comparing Carrie and Julie Andrews in Sound of Music. Carrie's high notes are so beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbWqDWbbJc
    Yup ... that one was per my request as well lmao.
    bluetb4, Gator, teesharky and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Yup ... that one was per my request as well lmao.
    So glad you did that. Have used it a ton to show chest v. head voice. Belated thanks, lol.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Yeah, the reason why people always assume the one in HGTA was much higher is because she was sick in the Vince Gill performance and she had to put forth more effort than she normally does on that note. She hits it in the chorus of Wasted and So Small and even the bridge and it's like "yeah whatever .." because she hits them like she's just taking a sip of cold water. Haha. The longest she's ever hold an Eb was "Angels Brought Me Here" and the last big "DIVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE" to end the "O Holy Night" performance from her 2009 holiday special.
    Her big notes take my breath away...... And like you said she does it like taking a sip of water...... And holding them so are most impressive as well.....

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    So glad you did that. Have used it a ton to show chest v. head voice. Belated thanks, lol.
    Carrie's "A5" in full voice that was used in the recent video (it's actually a semitone higher, it's a Bb5 w/ a B5 peak, so just one note lower than soprano high C) is what we call a "mix" of chest and head voice. High belters use that mechanism to achieve their notes since it's too high for chest voice alone. Carrie barely even uses her head voice, so the mix is something that she does even less of. A specific technique is required to fully master it. That last clip in the video actually showed tremendous promise and is a testament to her obvious capability to develop that skill. It was a head-dominant mix, but there are ways of shaping the sound differently to give it more "bass" and make it sound more "belty," as you could hear in the woman that Carrie was compared to at the end of the video. So there's no question whatsoever that she has the ability. What she doesn't have is the desire to further develop it. Which is fine, because I guess it doesn't fit within her preferred sound. But the natural ability and potential are certainly there!
    txacar, Gator, teesharky and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Wow tx Melissa! This is great! I knew Carrie had a bigger range than two octaves and is not tied with Taylor for range like that one website tried to claim. Bs. That's like saying William hung had the sand vocal talent as Carrie. Lol thank you for this!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Wow tx Melissa! This is great! I knew Carrie had a bigger range than two octaves and is not tied with Taylor for range like that one website tried to claim. Bs. That's like saying William hung had the sand vocal talent as Carrie. Lol thank you for this!

Well, they were going by "showcased range," and only used her well-known material for their assessment since they clearly don't ACTUALLY follow her, and needless to say didn't go out of their way to do their homework. Her range has always been much bigger than what it says on DivaDevotee haha. It's funny, because they actually count "WOO's!" and screams for other artists in their range (ie. not notes that are actually sung), yet even when Carrie's were pointed out (which, if counted, actually makes her range closer to 4 octaves) they completely ignored it and didn't bother to update. Don't take that site seriously. A lot of their vocal profiles are completely wrong, including the voice-types.
    txacar, teesharky, bluetb4 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Tx. I thought so. I think they have a bias against Carrie as I also tried to email them examples of higher notes, etc- and I am not even someone with a CLUE like you are. haha Needless to say they ignored me.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Tx. I thought so. I think they have a bias against Carrie as I also tried to email them examples of higher notes, etc- and I am not even someone with a CLUE like you are. haha Needless to say they ignored me.
    It's okay though, because there are plenty of other vocal sites that have the correct information down! & the comments in Carrie's section on DivaDevotee reflect that 99.9% of people know that classification of her is bogus lol.
    Gator and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It's okay though, because there are plenty of other vocal sites that have the correct information down! & the comments in Carrie's section on DivaDevotee reflect that 99.9% of people know that classification of her is bogus lol.
    Would you mind sharing some of those sites with us? I would love to see how Carrie compares to some of the other divas - even though I know you've said she hasn't worked on her technique to use her full potential, but it will at least compare her voice as she does use it to the other ladies.
    Gator likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Would you mind sharing some of those sites with us? I would love to see how Carrie compares to some of the other divas - even though I know you've said she hasn't worked on her technique to use her full potential, but it will at least compare her voice as she does use it to the other ladies.
    Critic of Music: Vocal Range and Profile: Carrie Underwood

https://singersavenue.tumblr.com/pos...-profile-vocal

and here's a book that she's actually featured in and is available online.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Xx...erwood&f=false
    lizcarlo and Kizmet311 like this.

•