• 5 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By wonderboy
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By pklongbeach

Thread: Carrie participates in Orlando Strong

Junior Carrie Follower wonderboy's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Carrie participates in Orlando Strong

Carrie sent a video showing support to the LGBT community and victims of the Orlando shooting this past weekend as part of a benefit concert yesterday.

http://www.tampabay....ars-raw/2282631

"I feel at home in this city," Smith, whose family lives in Orlando, told the crowd of more than 7,000. "We're all Orlando Strong, and love conquers all."
    That was the idea of Country Strong, a benefit concert for the OneOrlando Fund, raising hundreds of thousands of dollars victims of the June 12 Pulse nightclub shooting and their families.

A number of artists sent good wishes via video, including Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, Little Big Town, the Band Perry, Chris Young and Thompson Square, who condemned "this heinous act of violence, this unspeakable act of hate."

If anyone can find the video of her talking I would love to see it.

I hope she knows what showing her support for Orlando and the LGBT community means. She has many LGBT fans and supporters and it's awesome to know that she's supportive and accepting of them! Thanks Carrie!
    teesharky, ethelu, sd20 and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Really happy Carrie took part. Very cool.
    ethelu, sd20, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie has a huge heart. I love that she participated in in this. I feel so sorry for all the victims for this terrible tragedy.
    ethelu, teesharky, bluetb4 and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Carrie does have a very strong support from the LGTB community. But I am not sure participation is a direct sign of support to the community.
    I think it has been made clear, and I agree whole heartedly that "any" attack on the people of this country is an attack on the country!
    And as such, it does not require any claim or disclaimer that she is supporting the community of LGTB. But instead that she supports love, tolerance, brotherhood, America. And denounces any terrorist attempt on us.

I don't mean to be in her mind and suggest I know her thoughts. But to, we don't want to make assumptions that others could make and hold against her. As sad an that would be. There are people out there who see nothing but negative when associated with the LGTB community and they would use any excuse to discredit anyone associated with it.
    Just sad..... but true......
    So much like her love and support of animals does not necessarily align her with any group. Neither should this participation suggest anything but a love of people and country. And a distain for intolerance where ever its found.

Concert Stars
    ....and I didn't say it, but I am incredibly proud of her for participating knowing that it could easily be swung as a negative by narrow-minded cruel ignorant people...... She seems to stand for, and not against, again and again, and she follows her heart.

That is part of what makes her one of the most successful women in the entire music industry today!

Thanks for being who you are Carrie!!!! You are an inspiration to Christians everywhere!
    teesharky, pgk, ethelu and 2 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower wonderboy's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Okay, so I don't really understand why if you agree she has support from the community, her participating in this is not showing her support of that community that supports her. It sounds like you yourself are saying it's okay she supports equality and acceptance as long as she doesn't attach her support to a specific group or person. I'm not sure why you're needing to define the limits of who or what she is or isn't supporting by showing support at this event for Orlando, American, AND the LGBT population, because this horrible event was an attack on all of those people. I don't know why or when we moved into a country where everyone takes issue with everything (not saying it's you at all) and we all just can't be nice to each other and live.
    maddkat likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I certainly don't presume to speak for Patrick - but I think his main concern in those posts may have been, in part, to protect Carrie from divisive comments. (We know, for example, that there was an attempt, largely from outsiders, to stir up a controversy over marriage comments a few years ago.)

Most people rightly condemned the Orlando attack - but it was noticeable that there were differences in the way the attack was interpreted. Some saw it as part of the "domestic terrorism" plague, that nearly everyone condemns, and, as such, is largely non-controversial - whereas others saw it as, in particular, a "hate crime" directed specifically at the LGBT community (a difference in emphasis of interpretation that does prove more controversial for some people)

It is, however, noticeable that many people in the music community are emphasizing (as would I) that this particular attack was not a random example of general terrorism, and did appear to be specifically targeted on Gays for reasons connected by the perpetrator with their life style - and although this aspect can evoke contentious discussion for some people, I think the fact that it has been taken up quite widely makes it unlikely that individual musicians would be singled out for controversy

I'll give two examples from Country Music that I followed in the last ten days ago or so - one briefly more controversial (but for different reasons)

When Ran posted a Rainbow heart, there was little controversy. It got 56,000 likes, as against only a little over 400 verbal replies, (which were themselves mixed regarding the issue.) Some just said "thank you", but a few people did say that while they regretted any loss of life, they could not endorse Gays - and these tended to lead to further arguments among those replying. A small number seemed uncomfortable with Ran's request for prayers for the victims, asking if she read the Bible and implying she should be calling for repentance, not sympathy.
    This quote from a fan is, I think worth repeating because it seems to represent what most felt.
    "the fact that some of you fellow Christians are more focused on judging the moral compass of these victims (which is God's job) rather than the tragic loss of their lives is downright sad and blasphemous in its own right. I'm not invalidating anyone's belief of not supporting gay culture or being gay cause people were raised with different beliefs, whatever. What I'm not validating is to being hung up on their morality and judge them when they were just innocently murdered in their own safe space living their life. Regardless of their sexual orientation, they were still someone's son/brother/best friend. The fact that some of you haven't acknowledged that this is a tragedy is beyond me. Christ calls for compassion, that's what being a Christian is all about. And if you can't extend compassion or open your heart, you have a problem."

The second example did prove more controversial - but that was because it involved a remark that brought in another issue that is also very divisive in today's political/social debates. Kacey tweeted
    "Let’s go back to saloon days, where everyone is carryin a revolver and anyone walkin in to disturb the peace might maybe think twice.”
    I didn't see the tweet (which was soon deleted), but heard about it from a blogger I follow, who said she'd lost respect for one of her heroes. The missing tweet was repeated by several sources, including Jon Caramanica in the NYT (a supporter of more Alternative Country acts) who wondered if Kacey was so much of an outsider, or if we'd actually just seen an insider briefly peeping through.)
    The tweet was objected to by a number of fans, including Gays and supporters of the Gay community, partly on the grounds that the saloon joke trivialized the tragedy, and partly because the gun advocacy was believed to be involved in the growing violence, not a solution to it.
    Kacey explained by saying "Emotions are high today. Mine included. Just hating hate.”, but some objectors replied that she should just say sorry and acknowledge the offense caused.

Every fan base is different, and much may depend on whether or not the artist appears to be saying something that a large proportion of his or her fans expect, or are not surprised by. I very much doubt if Carrie will get any significant backlash, or anything beyond approval and understanding from most people for sending a message of support, and I don't think we need worry, whatever emphasis people prefer put on it
    Smokyiiis and pklongbeach like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I don't think Carrie will get a lot of backlash. I would like to know what she had to say. I can't imagine what could possibly be said after such a horrible incident.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Carrie can do whatever she wants, people need to stop being so pushy over what she doesn't do or do.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    Okay, so I don't really understand why if you agree she has support from the community, her participating in this is not showing her support of that community that supports her. It sounds like you yourself are saying it's okay she supports equality and acceptance as long as she doesn't attach her support to a specific group or person. I'm not sure why you're needing to define the limits of who or what she is or isn't supporting by showing support at this event for Orlando, American, AND the LGBT population, because this horrible event was an attack on all of those people. I don't know why or when we moved into a country where everyone takes issue with everything (not saying it's you at all) and we all just can't be nice to each other and live.
    I know you weren't trying to single me out. And I did not mean to make it sound like she herself would have any problem at all giving direct support to the gay community.
    Its just that when a terrible thing like this happens, I as a gay person, would want everyone to remember, that as terrible as it was that it may have been targeted toward a certain group it was still equally terrible regardless of who it was done to.

I actually had a few people come to me in a consoling manner after the event which, though I received the consolation graciously, I thought it kind of odd that I should be singled out to be consoled beyond anybody else. I do believe this happened to us all.

As such I do think that Carrie is a very broad minded person and she can see the necessity to express her condemnation not because of a group but because of all of us as Americans.

I don't mean to know her mind and heart. And I would not wish to diminish her intentions in any way at all. Of course I would be thrilled if she spoke directly to the LGTB community in support and solidarity. But for me, the bigger issue is that this is an opportunity to tear down walls that people seem to think exist between the straight community and the gay community and to embrace ourselves all as one big family in this country.

I am one of those gay people who really just want to been seen as exactly the same as anyone. No special treatment and not exceptions to all the rights anyone would have.
    Had this been a direct hate-crime. I think I might feel differently about peoples reactions. But since in my mind I see it as more of an attack on America, I would like to see it bring us together in solidarity, not continue to see the lines of demarcation.
    I so appreciate your words, and I hope I am not making my case worse. Ha ha ha......

But I am truly grateful to Carrie regardless. I posted something of it on Facebook and received a great many likes in support of Carries participation in the event.

I also stated that it continues to represent Carrie as the kind of Christian that wins people to the faith.
    ethelu, Kizmet311 and Farawayhills like this.

•