Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree3960Likes

Thread: 2017 Grammy Awards

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Concert Stars

2017 Grammy Awards

The 2017 Grammy Awards (the 59th ceremony) will take place on Sunday, February 12, 2017.
    The eligibility period is October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016.

Disclaimer:
    Any song - whether it's a single or not - released within the eligibility period can be submited.
    bluetb4, Mirasa45A, ethelu and 5 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Let's discuss an award that is really worth it, shall we?

Let's talk about possible nominations from Carrie and any other artist. Our predictions etc

There's no corruption here. There's no manipulation. There's no WME.

This is about true recognition.
    Suellen and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    I don't listen to country music anymore, so other than Carrie being nominated, I don't know who else would be in the mix.

If she is nominated for album and wins that means she can't be nominated for another song again, right? So if she puts in CB and if she released CCA before the deadline, she's eligible for either of these songs being nominated. Can she win a performance/song and the album the same year?

Concert Stars
    Liz, I'll break down your post:

"If she is nominated for album and wins that means she can't be nominated for another song again, right?"
    Yes, that's right.

"So if she puts in CB and if she released CCA before the deadline, she's eligible for either of these songs being nominated."
    Yes, but the thing is that when an album drops within the eligibility period, all of its songs are automatically eligible.
    Being a single is not a factor.

Let's suppose Carrie's singles during the eligibility period (Oct. 1, 2015 - Sept. 30, 2016) were HB, CB and DL.
    But Sony thinks CCA and WINKIAW (non-singles) are better choices for the Grammys. They can submit them.

"Can she win a performance/song and the album the same year?"
    Yes, of course.
    But, like I said, if she wins Album, no other song from it can be nominated the following year. Unless the label drops different versions of the songs (like "live" versions).

Concert Stars
    ^It is rare that a non-single is nominated. They want to nominate songs with which people are familiar. The exception being that either there were no hits during the period or an artist wants nominations in as many fields as possible so they nominate songs that haven't been released to collaboration categories or different genres.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    ^It is rare that a non-single is nominated. They want to nominate songs with which people are familiar. The exception being that either there were no hits during the period or an artist wants nominations in as many fields as possible so they nominate songs that haven't been released to collaboration categories or different genres.
    Yes, that's true.
    It's just that I wanted everybody to know about the rules.

You see, for Carrie to be nominated for Best Country Song, she has to be one of the writers of the submited/nominated song.
    And which song would that be?

I don't think "Heartbeat" (which she co-wrote) - a single - is strong enough to even be nominated. She didn't write CB, DL or CCA either.
    As mentioned in another thread, I think the strongest songs Carrie wrote for Storyteller are TGYTIA and WINKIAW.
    They don't need to be singles in order to be nominated.

Concert Stars
    Well I would really like for ST to be nominated. It would make my day :-)

Concert Stars
    Did she co-write CB? I think that would be an obvious choice for nominations

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Did she co-write CB? I think that would be an obvious choice for nominations
    Unfortunately, she didn't.

These are the songs she co-wrote:

Renegade Runaway
    Heartbeat
    Smoke Break (not eligible anymore)
    Chaser
    TGYTIA
    WINKIAW
    LGDGUTF

Concert Stars
    oh, well with that I would think the only logical one to submit would be Heartbeat and it would not stand much of a chance. Some of the others listed there are much better songs. But the voters of Grammys are not much different then other voters in that if they are not already familiar with the material, they are probably not going to go looking for it to judge it. They will simply pick something they do know and think is deserving.....

I would think CAOTY or vocal performance would still be best bets..
    ethelu and CarrieAddicted like this.

Concert Stars
    I had a thought, although she hasn't released Chaser in the US, she has released it as a single in the UK. It is written by her and it has been released as a single. Or because it isn't too popular and most voters won't know it, it would be the same as a non single.
    CarrieAddicted likes this.

Concert Stars
    oh, well with that I would think the only logical one to submit would be Heartbeat and it would not stand much of a chance. Some of the others listed there are much better songs. But the voters of Grammys are not much different then other voters in that if they are not already familiar with the material, they are probably not going to go looking for it to judge it. They will simply pick something they do know and think is deserving.....

I would think CAOTY or vocal performance would still be best bets..
    Exactly.

I guess Sony will end up submiting CB for both Solo Performance and Song, as a way of somehow drawing attention to the song as a whole, by saying "look, this one here is very deserving of both songwriting and performance awards".

Carrie wouldn't win Song, but the chances of winning Performance would increase, pretty much like what happened with JTTW, BHC and BA.

Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    I had a thought, although she hasn't released Chaser in the US, she has released it as a single in the UK. It is written by her and it has been released as a single. Or because it isn't too popular and most voters won't know it, it would be the same as a non single.
    The Academy/voters don't take into account material released outside of the US, only material released domestically.
    So, as you said, Chaser is not a single in the US, but it can still be submited (since it's a song from Storyteller, which was released in America) - perhaps for Pop Solo Performance.
    It isn't a country song, so it wouldn't apply for the Country field.

Concert Stars
    ^it came off a country album so I think it does.
    Farawayhills and ethelu like this.

Concert Stars
    Who are the possible candidates for Country Solo Performance?

Carrie - most likely "Church Bells" or new single
    Tim McGraw "Humble & Kind"
    Maren Morris "My Church"
    Keith Urban "Wasted Time"
    Jennifer Nettles "Unlove You"
    Brandy Clark "Girl Next Door"
    Eric Church "Mr. Misunderstood"
    Thomas Rhett "Die A Happy Man"

Those are the main ones I can think of that actually have a chance.
    Last edited by twaintrain; 06-17-2016 at 06:49 AM.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^Thanks, I was wondering who else would be nominated. It's a good list and don't know what Carrie's chances are to win.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Yes, It does

I think it very unlikely that Carrie would allow any of her Storyteller songs to be submitted for Pop Solo Performance, or that Sony would submit it without her consent. Although I'm fond of the song, I don't think it's likely to be submitted at all (one or more of the singles would be far more likely).
    However, If it were to be submitted, it's theoretically possible for the arcane committee that vets submissions to move it to another field. They do this a fair bit with indie releases, but they are unlikely to antagonize a major label group like Sony Nashville by moving any of their top artist submissions out of their main marketing field.
    teesharky, ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I think Church Bells will be Carrie's main submission in Country Song and Country Solo Performance, and it is a good choice since CB is her strongest single thus far.

They already rejected Smoke Break last year in favor or Little Toy Guns, so it is between HB and CB. As much as I love Heartbeat, I think Church Bells is a strong, strong choice, and should be their focus.

My biggest wish is that Storyteller gets Carrie her first Country Album nom. It really is long overdue. I don't know what the voters are waiting on. Vastly inferior albums have gotten nominated in the past few years while Carrie continues to get snubbed in this category. Odd.
    ethelu and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    The GRAMMYs ‏@TheGRAMMYs 4m4 minutes ago
    ICYMI: Learn more about the new rule amendments & dates for the 59th #GRAMMYs process http://grm.my/1WPSPd7

Concert Stars
    The Recording Academy has completed its annual Awards review and established new amendments and key dates guiding the 59th Annual GRAMMY Awards process. Among other changes, the updates allow previously ineligible streaming-only works to be considered and limit the number of categories in which members may vote. The new guidelines go into effect immediately in the current-year Awards cycle.

"The GRAMMYs aren't just peer-awarded, they're peer-driven," said Bill Freimuth, Senior Vice President of Awards for The Recording Academy. "Throughout the year, members of the music community come to us asking to make changes to the Awards process, and we work with them to figure out how those changes might work. I'm proud of this year's changes because they're a testament to the artists, producers and writers — the people who rolled up their sleeves to shape the proposals and, in turn, the future of the GRAMMYs. It's exactly what they should be doing. It's their award."

To encourage members to vote only in those categories in which they are most knowledgeable, passionate and qualified, the number of categories in which Academy members may vote has decreased from 20 to 15, plus the four General Field categories (Record Of The Year, Album Of The Year, Song Of The Year, and Best New Artist).

Additional changes include amending the Best New Artist eligibility guidelines; branching the Best Blues Album category into two distinct categories: Best Traditional Blues Album and Best Contemporary Blues Album; redefining and changing the name of the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration category to Best Rap/Sung Performance; amending the number and type of music creators recognized in the categories of Best Choral Performance and Best Jazz Vocal Album; and procedural updates to the process of populating nominations committees.

For additional information regarding the changes approved by The Academy's Trustees, visit GRAMMY.org.
    The 59th Annual GRAMMY Awards will take place live on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017, at Staples Center in Los Angeles from 8–11:30 p.m. ET/PT.

Visit grammy101.com for a complete timeline of awards eligibility and voting dates.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Yes, It does

I think it very unlikely that Carrie would allow any of her Storyteller songs to be submitted for Pop Solo Performance, or that Sony would submit it without her consent. Although I'm fond of the song, I don't think it's likely to be submitted at all (one or more of the singles would be far more likely).
    However, If it were to be submitted, it's theoretically possible for the arcane committee that vets submissions to move it to another field. They do this a fair bit with indie releases, but they are unlikely to antagonize a major label group like Sony Nashville by moving any of their top artist submissions out of their main marketing field.
    No, it doesn't.

This is one of - if not the most - controversial question in the Grammys.
    How to choose a genre?

Per the rules, as long as an album is 51% a genre, it can be categorized as that.
    But that rule doesn't apply for songs, at least there can't be found such rule.

In 2010, Taylor Swift's Fearless album and its songs were spread between Country and Pop: the album and "White Horse" were nominated in the Country field, but "You Belong With Me" and "Breathe" (ft. Colbie Caillat) were nominated in the Pop field.
    Same happened to Iggy Azalea last year (spread between Rap and Pop), and many other artists throughout the time.

Moral of the story: Storyteller is obviously over 51% Country, but there are Pop songs in it (Chaser, Relapse, CDS etc) that can be submited in the Pop field - if the label feels like it.
    brenda218 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast