Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree3960Likes

Thread: 2017 Grammy Awards

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    Since we're talking about the Grammys, I wanted to post this as a throwback to when this was nominated in 2008. I listened to this today after so many years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GX7x_IdnVQ
    the harmonies are just magical

Concert Stars
    I just pray that this is the year Carrie FINALLY gets some love for her album- and not just Solo Country Performance again. Many critics loved this album and it got good metacritic scores. Even though the ACMS snubbed Storyteller in favor of 5 WME Males, that means nothing. It is not an indication that the album was not good enough to be nominated-- only that WME controls ACMS/CMAs. Even Kacey Musgraves got snubbed and her album got a Grammy nom last year.
    CarrieAddicted likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I wasn't really paying attention that there is also Grammy discussion going on in the ST album thread. Copying and pasting my post from there to here, where it is relevant.

The Album category will be tough. They could nominate Dierks, Eric, Blake, Maren, or Carrie, but they could also nominate someone like Brandy Clark who gets zero radio airplay and has very little sales. She was nominated for Best New Artist, so a Country Album nomination is not out of the question. There is also Keith's album, although I do not know his history of Grammy nominations, but he is married to an actress so I think people know who he is outside of country music.

I think Church Bells will be nominated for Song and Vocal Performance, depending on which single she releases next, but the Vocal Performance category is going to be a lot more competitive going forward since they combined both genders into one category. Thankfully, Chris Stapleton's songs are not eligible since he won Country album last year. I do think Carrie is more well known than Thomas Rhett and can therefore pull the votes from outside the country genre. Looking at the past winners - Darius Rucker used to be part of a pop/rock group and Taylor was always pretty much pop anyway. So, even they had support outside of country. (The last couple of lines were kind of in response to the posting of the winners of Country Solo Vocal since 2012, which included Taylor, Darius, Carrie twice, and Chris).

Depending on when Keith releases the Fighter, I would hate to see it go up against Brad/Demi's song. I honestly still haven't heard "Without a Fight", but I would imagine Demi might pull a lot of pop voters that could get her and Brad the win. Then, of course, you always have the group and duo songs to contend with as well, because this is their category too. I wonder if Dan + Shay's song From the Ground Up would be considered? It's a love ballad, but it is really pretty. ZBB might get a nomination if they have an eligible single. Lady A doesn't have anything eligible do they, since they've been focusing on solo projects? Which makes me wonder - could Charles Kelley's album snag a Grammy nomination?

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    Since we're talking about the Grammys, I wanted to post this as a throwback to when this was nominated in 2008. I listened to this today after so many years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GX7x_IdnVQ
    I just love this song so much. Listen to it quite often.

Wish it had won the Grammy, but the voters do love Willie Nelson (who won over it).
    Smokyiiis, Momin and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    was just reading this, particularly #9

https://www.grammy.org/files/vote_so....14.update.pdf
    VOTE SOLICITATION GUIDELINES Members of The Recording Academy, record labels and other industry professionals are not prohibited from promoting their releases during GRAMMY Award ballot season.
    However, in order to protect the integrity of the voting process and to foster the protection of Members’ contact information, it is crucial that the following guidelines be understood and observed.

1. The Recording Academy does not disclose the contact information of its Members.
    2. While “for your consideration”-type advertisements and communiqués are not prohibited, the specific category, field and balloting numbers are proprietary information belonging to The Recording Academy; such information may not beused, disclosed, published or otherwise distributed in connection with any advertisements, communiqués or for any other purpose.
    3. The Recording Academy’s entry lists, finals lists and ballots are the property of The Recording Academy. They are for exclusive use by the Voting Members in connection with casting votes.
    4. During balloting season (September through January), vote solicitation and product distribution at Recording Academy-sponsored events is strictly prohibited.
    5. Elected leaders of The Academy, likewise, may not distribute or otherwise promoteproduct entered for consideration in the current GRAMMY Awards process before,during or after any meetings of the Board of Trustees, Chapter Boards, National Committees, Chapter Committees or at any other events officially sponsored by The Recording Academy or any Chapter.
    6. Voters shall not be influenced by personal friendships, company loyalties, regional preferences, or mass sales.
    7. Voters shall not allow their choices to be suggested or directed by anything otherthan their own conscience.
    8. Voters shall not accept money or anything of value in exchange for votes.
    9. Voters shall not enter into any agreements or understandings on how to vote. This includes without limitation

a. Voting Blocs: groups of voters who agree to vote together. Such groups may include but are not limited to those voters affiliated with a particular record label, management company, or those voters linked through social media.
    b. Vote Trading: offering to vote or voting in any manner in exchange for another’s vote.

Violation of any of these guidelines may result in disqualification of entries. Any Member who violates or encourages others to violate these guidelines may be subject to sanctions by the Board of Trustees of The Recording Academy, including termination of membership.

CMAs/ACMs need to take note and amend their rules

Concert Stars
    ^Does that mean no one with ties to WME is allowed to vote for the Grammys? Lol

Junior Carrie Follower
    I believe they might limit the amount of people from WME that can vote in 1 category.
    Smokyiiis, teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I don't think that employees of WME are necessarily eligible to vote, because they do not contribute to the development of an album or song in any way. Rather, I think that rule is to discourage WME clients from voting as a block. I could be wrong, though.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I think it just means that WME can't be quite as bold in their intentions with a group like the Grammys. Its plainly obvious what they are doing with CMA and ACM. But with Grammys its a wider bredth of voters so it would not be as obvious. And they would want to be careful that there is no request or suggestion in writing to their voters.......
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think it just means that WME can't be quite as bold in their intentions with a group like the Grammys. Its plainly obvious what they are doing with CMA and ACM. But with Grammys its a wider bredth of voters so it would not be as obvious. And they would want to be careful that there is no request or suggestion in writing to their voters.......
    I do think the membership is different though. WME employees could become members of the CMA/ACM because they derive a large portion of their income from the country music industry by representing country music artists - the same with LiveNation or AEG. I am pretty sure to be a voting member for the Grammy's, you actually have to have credit on a music release - artist, musician, songwriter, producer, maybe sound engineers. Radio DJs, managers, tour promoters, etc, would not have those types of credits and would not be eligible to vote, although someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I do think the membership is different though. WME employees could become members of the CMA/ACM because they derive a large portion of their income from the country music industry by representing country music artists - the same with LiveNation or AEG. I am pretty sure to be a voting member for the Grammy's, you actually have to have credit on a music release - artist, musician, songwriter, producer, maybe sound engineers. Radio DJs, managers, tour promoters, etc, would not have those types of credits and would not be eligible to vote, although someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    I'm pretty sure that is correct. I wish the ACMS and CMAs had that same rule.
    bluetb4 and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I don't want to jinx anything or get my hopes up. But I just have good feeling that ST will finally be the album that gets a country album nom. I have no clue if it has a chance to win. But I feel like it got enough critical accalim
    and buzz to score a nom.

Then again- the BA album was great too and got good reviews as well so who knows. But ST is her best album imo.

A little off topic but does anyone have good audio of her 2008 BHC Grammy performance?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kelanob View Post
    A little off topic but does anyone have good audio of her 2008 BHC Grammy performance?
    http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/f06ys8...ammys_2008.mp3
    Ann055 likes this.

Thank you!!!

Concert Stars
    After a lot of people supported Tim's H&K for the CMT awards, do you guys think that song is the main competition for Carrie, or is it something else?
    rainbow1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    the harmonies are just magical
    I listen to Oh Love quite often. Brad & Carrie are magic together. From the comedy to the singing - everything they do together is perfection. I wish we had more of Brad & Carrie singing together! Love them!
    teesharky, Suellen, txacar and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    After a lot of people supported Tim's H&K for the CMT awards, do you guys think that song is the main competition for Carrie, or is it something else?
    Depends. The Grammy voters rarely pick a sentimental fluff song. Country may support it over Carrie but the main body of Grammy voters is made up of many voters outside of the country pool.

i like Tim and like the song- but it is a little too hokey to be Grammy worthy in my opinion. It is sweet but not artistically great. His vocal performance is good but does not compare to Carrie's in CB.

who knows though. Lol I don't see the song as Grammy material but it could get nominated I suppose.
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I would say for Country Song, "Humble & Kind" will probably win because it's a great song and written by Lori McKenna, a critical favorite. I would think Carrie should win the Solo Vocal Performance though.
    teesharky likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Carrie's team needs to do a for your consideration video of her ACM and CMT performances of Church Bells and on those alone she will win!!!!!!

**** And I hope they save CCA for next year. Although I'm dying for a performance of CCA on the Grammys. She'd kill it on a show like that!!!!
    cmarieu, teesharky, ethelu and 2 others like this.

•  
    Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast