Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: People's Choice AWards- 2016: Nominations Out 10/13/15

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think sometimes these things are about exposure. Who is in peoples minds at the time. And with all the buzz around Voice/Divorce/Gwen/getting healthy/new album..... blake is kind of all over the place. And at the moment Luke is pretty much out of the spot light.
    I have nothing against Blake, but my first thought when I saw that he won was that it was because of The Voice. Since The Voice also won, it's not surprising that Blake won, too. I'll bet a whole lot of people who voted for him don't even listen to country music.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    I have nothing against Blake, but my first thought when I saw that he won was that it was because of The Voice. Since The Voice also won, it's not surprising that Blake won, too. I'll bet a whole lot of people who voted for him don't even listen to country music.
    Gwen's fans may help his cause too. She is extremely popular...I have Yahoo as my home page and she has been trending constantly lately.
    ethelu and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    ... at the end of the day, no one is holding a gun to anyones heads when it comes to voting. I do understand why they vote the way they do. But lets not pretend someone is forcing them to do it.... It just seems to me that at some point those voters should start to feel alittle guilty about voting toward something that was not even close to what the best for the year was. Or at least, if that voter has any integrity at all and understands what their job as a voter is. I understand voting for your own camp. But after this many years, it just looks kind of ridiculous that no one is going to win but your camp.... it just looks fixed. Where is the joy in winning that.......?
    That is just how it is and it is no different than label mates voting for label mates even though whoever might be more deserving to win but isn't their label mate IMO there are very, very few people who don't vote for at least one category along company lines, there are two ways to stop this from going on get rid of the awards shows or go to a committee who decides who wins and all of those people have to follow a criteria that is VERY specific and says flat out that the voter has to follow A, B, C, etc.. in order to determine their vote that way the person with the "best numbers" wins and there would be zero reason for anyone to have any issue with who wins.

Concert Stars
    ^^ They ensure she wins because it helps fill seats at her concerts. Remember, ML wasn't very successful on tour prior to winning that disgraceful number of awards. She couldn't even get a sponsor -- CMT finally sponsored her. Now she's selling out most venues (granted, Mega ticket helps).
    teesharky, Hil and carrieguy2 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetb4 View Post
    Gwen's fans may help his cause too. She is extremely popular...I have Yahoo as my home page and she has been trending constantly lately.
    I swear that she trends at some point every day.
    bluetb4 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    ^^ They ensure she wins because it helps fill seats at her concerts. Remember, ML wasn't very successful on tour prior to winning that disgraceful number of awards. She couldn't even get a sponsor -- CMT finally sponsored her. Now she's selling out most venues (granted, Mega ticket helps).
    If there was actually a real criteria and not the ridiculous nonsense BS as vague as it could possibly be "criteria" that is used now and if a real criteria was used and it stated that whoever had the "best numbers" across the board there isn't any debate to be had if Jane Doe lead in more "best numbers" criteria that Sue Smith then Jane Doe wins, period end of story, no management companies involved, no labels involved, no this or that involved it would all be based on actually numbers and if so and so wasn't touring that year or didn't have an album that year they don't deserved to be in the discussion anyway.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    So glad that Carrie won her PCA. LOVED her hair and outfit in that video. I thought it looked like she might be in a hotel room. I've also seen that her band member (Jimmy) tweeted about rehearsals. Perhaps they are out of town? I know that artists do that a lot - go out of town to rehearse somewhere.
    carrieguy2 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Eww, someone mentioned Blake Shelton and I think I'm gonna vomit.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    That is just how it is and it is no different than label mates voting for label mates even though whoever might be more deserving to win but isn't their label mate IMO there are very, very few people who don't vote for at least one category along company lines, there are two ways to stop this from going on get rid of the awards shows or go to a committee who decides who wins and all of those people have to follow a criteria that is VERY specific and says flat out that the voter has to follow A, B, C, etc.. in order to determine their vote that way the person with the "best numbers" wins and there would be zero reason for anyone to have any issue with who wins.
    Agree..and sadly, because of all the politics and back door deals, you actually get a better feel for who "should win" from fan voted awards. I used to hate them, but they actually align themselves better with what is popular with people and what people want to see and what is most current.... it actually makes more sense than a corrupt industry that wants to sell you what they want weather you want it or not.......
    Hil and carrieguy2 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    So glad that Carrie won her PCA. LOVED her hair and outfit in that video. I thought it looked like she might be in a hotel room. I've also seen that her band member (Jimmy) tweeted about rehearsals. Perhaps they are out of town? I know that artists do that a lot - go out of town to rehearse somewhere.
    I don't think that the video was done after the show on Wednesday night. And I think they're still in Nashville because there were tweets that she picked up some awards I believe it was at Country Aircheck.

Concert Stars
    .....and just while we are on the subject of "deserving or awarding", I just want to say from a musician-standpoint so much of what Carrie does in her music is so far advanced from what you see from someone like a Miranda Lambert or even a Taylor Swift. Now granted I know Carrie gets help on all her writing efforts, but I mean the musical level of the music is far advanced.

Though it is true that country music is "3 chords and the truth", that is really just a suggestion that a song does not have to be that musically difficult in order for it to be effective. And that is very true. BUT, when you start handing out awards and calling one young lady a child prodigy and another a a tremendous talent because of her "writing ability", I think it is only fair to point out that Carrie Underwood, who is only appreiciated for her voice, writes and performs much much more complex musical styles than ANYONE in the country industry and possibly in music today aside from Adele (who I am not as familiar with her entire catalog),

Just a very few examples: SITW - spends almost the entire song on the off-beat only hitting the beat for emphasis in the chorus to give you that glorious release. If you are not a musician you are not aware of it you only "feel" it. Its very difficult to seem offbeat for that long while remaining in time with the music

Forever Changed - is such a unique piece both melody wise and meter. The easy going lyrics bely a very complicated melodic line that winds and winds it way through the chord changes so effortlessly its as if there is no meter at all. and then of course the simple chorus brings you that release of coming back to the tempo in a strong way.... this is all very intentional and is not seen in music by anyone who can not execute it accurately.

The Girl You Think I Am - The song is writing in 7/8 time. This is almost never done in popular music. Why they decided to do it this way can only be attributed to the "feeling" it gave the song. And again, way beyond what you would expect in other contemporary songwriters. Its not the only off-meter song of hers but it is a good example cause it is so easy to count. If you notice phrase by phrase you count 1,2,3,4 - 1,2,3 and then back to 1.2.3.4 .... this is unique to pop music cause western culture is most familiar with a four count or a 3 count but not both combined together. It should feel like there is a beat missing, but it is done so well you feel the pulse and the return to the downbeat as if you are urgent to tell your story. ITs brilliant. And again far advanced musically from what you would expect.

Lastly (because frankly I could list probably 1/2 of carries catalog) Lessons Learned - This is just a tour-de-force is writing and singing. Carrie did not write it, but it is a perfect example of her ability from the very start to sing very complicated music and make it sound perfectly natural.

I just wanted to point this out cause it is part of my frustration as a musician when we start accepting that Taylor Swift or Miranda Lambert somehow "deserve" things because of credit or ability that is not shown to Carrie. When, if the voters were actually musicians and not tabloid-clowns they would understand and recognize just what Carrie is achieving in her music. Sadly, and so often we hear, Taylors writing is superior and Miranda is 3 chords and the truth, and Carrie is left out of the equation entirely simply because she is blessed with such a great voice, she can make anything sound "EASY"!!!
    snoopytan86, liz278, Gator and 1 others like this.

•  
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456