Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree632Likes

Thread: Billboard Music Awards 2015

Congrats on Carrie nomination. Something In The Water is amazing song.
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    I'm happy about this. Congrats Carrie. But why wasn't it nominated for top country song?What are the nominations in that category?
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    Mathematically- do any of the other noms have more sales or airplay then SITW during the eligibility period??
    Last edited by teesharky; 04-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Mathematically- do and of the other noms have more sales or airplay then SITW during the eligibility period??
    Are you talking about the country or Christian nominees? Didn't know if you were trying to figure out if she can win her category or wondering why she wasn't included in country songs. I'm not sure how to figure it out since sales, streaming, airplay and social media are all involved. I'm assuming all of the country song nominees sold and streamed more than SITW for the whole year, although it obviously came out on top for seven weeks. We know SITW sold and streamed more than the other Christian songs for quite a while, but will it be enough to offset the airplay for the other #1 Christian songs? These are questions that I have no idea how to answer.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Top Country Song:
    Jason Aldean “Burnin’ It Down” (#1 Hot Country Songs, Certified Platinum with over 1.5 million sales/shipments)
    Luke Bryan “Play It Again” (#1 Hot Country Songs, Certified Platinum with over 1.9 million sales/shipments)
    Sam Hunt “Leave the Night On” (#1 Hot County Songs, Certified Platinum with just over 1 million sales/shipments)
    Florida Georgia Line Featuring Luke Bryan “This Is How We Roll” (#1 Hot County Songs for 4 weeks, Certified 3x Platinum with over 2.2 million in sales/shipments)
    Florida Georgia Line “Dirt” (#1 Hot County Songs, Certified Platinum with 1 million sales/shipments)

For comparison: Carrie's SITW (#1 Hot County Songs for 7 weeks, Certified Platinum with 894,000 sales/shipments)

Obviously, the platinum/multi-platinum certifications also include streaming numbers, so the certifications are sometimes higher than the sales/shipments. I also don't know how comparable the sales/shipments numbers are across songs as I just got them from Wikipedia. While it does seem like SITW could have replaced Dirt or Leave the Night On in the County song nominations, I don't know the exact formulas included with the social media and streaming factors. It is easy to see that if sales and streaming are the most important factor, "This is How We Roll" will win this category hands down. Also, I am not looking at just the eligibility period, I am just looking at whatever is on Wikipedia. Carrie's SITW obviously did better in a 7 week span than other country songs, but when you take in to account a full year (half of which SITW wasn't even released yet), it is very possible that the other country songs outperformed her over the whole year of March 2014-March 2015.

As for the Christian songs, it certainly seems like it's between SITW and Oceans, but it may be too close to call without knowing the exact sales and streaming for each song during the eligibility period. It honestly looks like they might split the year down the middle with who was #1 on Hot Christian Songs.
    teesharky likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ all true about the Christian category but AIs are factored in and Christian songs don't get much airplay.The #1 song usually has around 5- 6 mil, SITW was at or above 35 mil for 10 weeks or so,so clearly she dominated that category.

At least this category winner isn't obvious. : )
    Gator, teesharky, rainbow1 and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Are you talking about the country or Christian nominees? Didn't know if you were trying to figure out if she can win her category or wondering why she wasn't included in country songs. I'm not sure how to figure it out since sales, streaming, airplay and social media are all involved. I'm assuming all of the country song nominees sold and streamed more than SITW for the whole year, although it obviously came out on top for seven weeks. We know SITW sold and streamed more than the other Christian songs for quite a while, but will it be enough to offset the airplay for the other #1 Christian songs? These are questions that I have no idea how to answer.
    I was referring to the Christian so gs since that is her only nomination. And yes- I am trying to find out if she won. Hehe
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Congratulations to Carrie on her nomination. SITW was and still is a very popular song. I had to chuckle at Miranda's nom for album---an album that barely made it to gold and had NO great hits on it. An album and singles that went no where, yet they managed to squeeze her in the group of nominees. Carrie's GH album and singles have done better. Nothing really surprising on the list of nominees---again.......

Concert Stars
    According to youtube- Oceans had like 29 million views- but it is unclear when the bulk of the views were recorded. Many could be before March 2014 which is the new chart year.

Dang. How did a Christian group get 29 million views? I did not realize Christian songs were that big. Cool! Pleasantly surprised.

So there is a chance that oceans got more streams than SITW. Ughoh.
    Last edited by teesharky; 04-07-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    Congratulations to Carrie on her nomination. SITW was and still is a very popular song. I had to chuckle at Miranda's nom for album---an album that barely made it to gold and had NO great hits on it. An album and singles that went no where, yet they managed to squeeze her in the group of nominees. Carrie's GH album and singles have done better. Nothing really surprising on the list of nominees---again.......
    She won't win. One of the bros will- likely Luke or jason etc. Lol

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    According to youtube- Oceans had like 29 million views- but it is unclear when the bulk of the views were records. Many could be before March 2014 which is the new chart year.

Dang. How did a Christian group get 29 million views? I did not realize Christian songs were that big. Cool! Pleasantly surprised.

So there is a chsnce that oceans got more streams than SITW. Ughoh.
    the lyric video which has 29 mil views was uploaded Feb. 2013, been out a while

but they have an acoustic video w/4 mil views & a live video w/ 3 mil views

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    the lyric video which has 29 mil views was uploaded Feb. 2013, been out a while

but they have an acoustic video w/4 mil views & a live video w/ 3 mil views
    Plus a live acoustic with over 15 million views.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Carrie's nomination:

Top Christian Song

Francesca Battistelli, He Knows My Name
    Hillsong United, Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
    MercyMe, Greater
    Newsboys, We Believe
    Carrie Underwood, Something In The Water
    Yay! I'm thrilled Carrie has received a nomination. SITW is certainly worthy of any recognition it gets. I hope Carrie wins.
    ethelu, Suellen, teesharky and 3 others like this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    According to youtube- Oceans had like 29 million views- but it is unclear when the bulk of the views were records. Many could be before March 2014 which is the new chart year.

So there is a chsnce that oceans got more streams than SITW. Ughoh.
    Based on chart position, Oceans definitely has the edge in streaming probably better than 2 to 1 given SITW was out for a little over 5 months of the eligibility period. But given the sales level SITW had to drop to before Ocean passed it on the Christian Digital chart, I suspect SITW has a better than 2 to 1 edge in digital sales. But the final piece is airplay. And that is where SITW has a massive advantage as Oceans airplay run was in 2013. So I don't see how SITW loses in this category.
    txacar, Suellen, terilyn and 5 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Yay! Sounds good to me!!!
    txacar, DizzyDollyDee and bluetb4 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Based on chart position, Oceans definitely has the edge in streaming probably better than 2 to 1 given SITW was out for a little over 5 months of the eligibility period. But given the sales level SITW had to drop to before Ocean passed it on the Christian Digital chart, I suspect SITW has a better than 2 to 1 edge in digital sales. But the final piece is airplay. And that is where SITW has a massive advantage as Oceans airplay run was in 2013. So I don't see how SITW loses in this category.
    Tx cary! This made my day! haha

Sometimes there is a simple purity in math that feels right. No ACM/CMA biased block voters can screw her against math.

Concert Stars
    Tx cary! This made my day! haha

Sometimes there is a simple purity in math that feels right. No ACM/CMA biased block voters can screw her against math.
    This is billboard! You mean to tell me that you trust their version of "Math"?

Mirandas album making it into the Album category at all is proof of "poor math skills" ha ha ha..........

For me Billboard Awards are no different than Peoples Sexiest People. There is no way, in the end, to determine how they came up with their decisions, since there are so many "criteria" to consider. It basically allows them to take the top "marketed" product of the year and give awards to whoever they want!

I am happy that SITW made it on to Christian Song, and if she gets it that will be great. But to "expect" anything is foolhardy, and I won't do it. They will be giving that award to who they want to have it just like every other award.

The only "legitimacy" is the "big" winners. Cause those are obvious. At the moment, giving most all of the awards to Taylor S, is just a given, why even play with "other nominees"??
    teesharky likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ agree, their criteria basically allows them to nominate and give awards to whoever they
    choose as long as they had a bit of success.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    And why even have a show since we all can see the writing on the wall that this will be the SWSRN awards show. Even if I was remotely interested I just don't think I could stomach or watch a 3 hr. show so devoted to an artist that can't carry a tune. Call me picky but I just think a singer should be able to sing especially live and in person!!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    And why even have a show since we all can see the writing on the wall that this will be the SWSRN awards show. Even if I was remotely interested I just don't think I could stomach or watch a 3 hr. show so devoted to an artist that can't carry a tune. Call me picky but I just think a singer should be able to sing especially live and in person!!!
    Exactly the way I feel about the twice yearly Miranda Lambert show. Neither ML nor TS can sing, but TS at least sells albums and sells out concerts. Ugh!! Can't handle either one!!!!
    teesharky, rainbow1 and terilyn like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast