Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Does anyone agree?

Does anyone agree?

Carrie should do southern rock cd or have some southern rock songs on cd. I know these are not southern rock songs. My god she can these songs well. Carrie is loyal to country. She likes rock. Southern Rock would be good fit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zwRXPMOpUE8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqAhbRLTp0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_vEH3blIu18

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9PJfrhwFI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yioGa358bzg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0St4Ke69eA
    Last edited by lizcarlo; 03-27-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting. Good discussion. But I am going to have to say no. The biggest asset Carrie has is her voice. And it is a treasure for her. It is very worth protecting. That style of singing is very hard on vocal chords. In fact, it damages them. No one with her kind of instrument should be doing "anything" that will damage it.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Thanks for posting. Good discussion. But I am going to have to say no. The biggest asset Carrie has is her voice. And it is a treasure for her. It is very worth protecting. That style of singing is very hard on vocal chords. In fact, it damages them. No one with her kind of instrument should be doing "anything" that will damage it.
    What if she only had couple songs that requaire thoes show off moments, and sing the majority of songs like she did on Different Drum. I know I say this over and over. It probably gets boring. I really like the ways she sang that song. I dont think Different Drum type of singing would be too bad, or would it? I know very little about technical stuff of singing, which is why I ask.
    Smokyiiis, Curr and ethelu like this.

I know Carrie is talented and sing thoes rock songs very well. I was shocked by how one metal head and some rock fans who are not fan of carrie thought she should try rock genre. Sebastian Bach was very impressed with Carrie cover of his song I Remember When. Another rock star impressed with Carrie :-)

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    What if she only had couple songs that requaire thoes show off moments, and sing the majority of songs like she did on Different Drum. I know I say this over and over. It probably gets boring. I really like the ways she sang that song. I dont think Different Drum type of singing would be too bad, or would it? I know very little about technical stuff of singing, which is why I ask.
    Those songs (Ronstadt) are far easier on her vocal chords than the huge belting notes she sings on a regular basis (parts of GG are total throwback to 70s/80s). Rock music, in itself, is not harmful. The growls she inserts definitely are. Carrie's style is far more pop/rock than country. Thanks for the links. I love her version of those songs.
    pklongbeach, lizcarlo and ethelu like this.

Concert Stars
    DD is a perfect song for her voice. She was built to sing songs like that. But songs like G&R and Aerosmith are damaging. There are no two ways about it. She can sing them as controlled as possible, but its like riding your bike down an old dirt road. It may be fun, but it damages the tires. Plain and simple.
    lizcarlo and ramb like this.

^^ To be honest. I love thoes show off type of singing from Carrie, especially when she gets in that Rock N Roll performing attitude. I would not mind her rock songs being DD type of singing.. She needs to expose that type of singing to the public anyway. I didnt think it would be too bad, becuase it does seem softer on her vocal cords.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    Carrie should TOTALLY do a rock album when she gains more control of her voice. Like the others said, the way she sings COUNTRY songs is harmful enough with all the growling and whatnot. When she gets in rock star mode it can't be that good on her vocal chords. Imagine having to do that all the time 😣
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    Southern Rock is my absolute all time favorite genre. Just imagine what Carrie could do with a song as beautiful as this one from my all time favorite band, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Just close your eyes & fade away. Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jH3_gg9II4
    txacar and lizcarlo like this.

sd20, ethelu and terilyn like this.

If it doesn't hurt her vocal coards, I'm in. When she rocks, she's amazing.
    I don't know if I'd like an entire rock album, but a couple of good southern rock songs wouldn't hurt her country-path.
    She's loyal to country, and I think it won't change anytime soon (or far).
    But she likes to cover this kinda songs, and she does it very well. So maybe she could try to include this in a CD (and not only do it aside).

BTW, some of her performances seem to be dangerous to her coards. When she sings the heck out of How Great Thou Art, it sounds amazing, but dangerous too. I don't know much about this kinda things, so maybe I'm talking pointless here. But just saying...
    lizcarlo likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I love Southern Rock and I know Carrie would make a killer album full of those types of songs, but I need her to at least cover some grunge first. She would kill it, cause we know she loves grunge and has cited Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell as vocal influencers of her. If she ever covers Yellow Ledbetter or even Jeremy (holy cow) live one day, I would lose it. And definitely a Pearl Jam or Soundgarden song, as Vedder and Cornell's voices and ranges on their songs fit more with what Carrie can do then Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's records.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    This is my favorite Carrie cover EVER. Sure got Rolling Stone's attention and many others who feel she should record it. REM liked it a lot. Love how much Carrie's covers are respected by the original artists. I have this entire concert on DVR and watch it at least once/week. Have never heard better vocals/interpretation than Carrie on EH by anybody, anywhere!!! Period!!
    sd20, lizcarlo and ethelu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    Southern Rock is my absolute all time favorite genre. Just imagine what Carrie could do with a song as beautiful as this one from my all time favorite band, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Just close your eyes & fade away. Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jH3_gg9II4
    Thats great idea. I'd love to see something smilar to this, and she would sound heavenly.

I love Southern Rock and I know Carrie would make a killer album full of those types of songs, but I need her to at least cover some grunge first. She would kill it, cause we know she loves grunge and has cited Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell as vocal influencers of her. If she ever covers Yellow Ledbetter or even Jeremy (holy cow) live one day, I would lose it. And definitely a Pearl Jam or Soundgarden song, as Vedder and Cornell's voices and ranges on their songs fit more with what Carrie can do then Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's records.
    Great idea. I would love for this to happen. I also wont Bohemian Rhapsody by Queem, Stairway To Heaven by Pink Floyd, Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton, Barracuda by Heart and Crazy On You By Heart cover. There is song by Miranda called Virginia Bluebell and Oklahoma Sky I want Carrie to cover.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I know for a fact that Carrie got respect in the Muscle Shoals music community for "Before He Cheats".

Contemporary Roots Rock (which is a broader term than Southern Rock) doesn't have to place great strain on the voice

This is Ashley Ray's beautiful Country cover of "Sweet Home Alabama". I, for one, find this absolutely haunting - whenever I play it, I find myself re-playing it two or thre times!

Although Carrie could include one or two classic covers, I wouldn't want her to concentrate too much on a retro Rock repertoire, but would prefer her to explore the Roots Rock that's currently being produced in Stillwater, Athens, Austin, and, indeed Nashville.

As a retro example, I'd vote for Creedence Clearwatwer Revival (not Southern Rock as such, but a band that had a great influence on both Roots Rock and Country). Last year, Miranda dueted with John Fogerty on this song. Carrie has also performed with Fogerty, (and covered a CCR song on her early live album). Note the great guitar solo by Tom Morello - instrumental breaks are something that I feel could enrich more of Carrie's releases. I'd love her to do something along these lines in the near future

Last edited by Farawayhills; 03-28-2015 at 06:32 PM.

One of today's bands that I really love - the Drive-by Truckers - symbolize .the modern music of Muscle Shoals and Athens - and straddle the line between Roots Rock and Country Music.

Although today they are an all male lineup, Shonna Tucker, their former bass player, had some vocal solos on one of their most acclaimed recent albums, "Brighter Than Creation's Dark" - including this one, that she wrote

hjj likes this.

Since then, Shonna has fronted her own band - this is an example of her current work (again, not a song that need impose vocal strain)

To see an example of how a real Country traditionalist can still incorporate Rock influence, here's Cary Fridley. She told me that she thought even the Skillet Lickers (the first Country super-group) would have used electric instruments, if they'd been available

However, there is, sadly, the inescapable fact that the various forms of Country Rock can be rather difficult terrain for female singers. This wasn't always so - and Carrie should be able to get some supportive tips from Wanda Jackson, the "Queen of Rockabilly" - a fellow Okie, who is known to appreciate Carrie, and who has also worked in updated style with Jack White,

Today, the reigning "Queen of Roadhouse Rock" is Eve Seles, who tours regularly on both sides of the Atlantic. She seems to be one of the few women who can be said to have really made a top impact on the specifically Southern branch of the recent Country Rock scene

Last edited by Farawayhills; 03-28-2015 at 07:06 PM.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast