Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Singles That Could Have Been(article)

Singles That Could Have Been(article)

The Carrie Underwood Singles That Might Have Been - Popdust

Some Hearts

Singles Released: “Jesus Take The Wheel,” “Don’t Forget To Remember Me,” “Before He Cheats,” “Wasted:

Should Have Been Singles:

“The Night Before (Life Goes On)”: Ballad-like in its structure, this coming-of-age story details a relationship that is torn apart by time and adulthood. As the title suggests, the young couple is on the brink of a big change in life. She is headed to college; he’s headed to a job at his daddy’s shop down the road. “They’ve been dreading this moment all summer long,” Carrie sings, dripping with emotion. Unlike all her other singles up until that point, this classic-in-the-making could have been one of her biggest hits.

“Starts With Goodbye”: Another ardent ballad, Carrie pours her soul into the lyrics. While a few lines talk about a breakup, the chorus lends itself quite easily to any parting, whether it be a friendship, marriage, etc. Everyone, in all walks of life, has experienced change and moving on. Relegated as an album cut, this ornament speaks directly to love and loss and is simply one of her finest vocals to-date.

Carnival Ride

Singles Released: “So Small,” “All American Girl,” “Last Name,” “Just a Dream,” “I Told You So”

“Get Out Of This Town”: As a romping, bouncy album track, this one is always a crowd pleaser in live shows. There is a free-spirited side to Carrie that most country music fans rarely get to experience. The song isn’t deep in any way, and that’s why it could have been a great single release. It’s careless and spontaneous and just a fun tune to roll down your car windows too. Plus, it’s catchy as all get out. That’s always a much-needed bonus.

“I Know You Won’t”: Carrie has performed this song countless times over the years and is one of the most vocally challenging songs she has ever recorded. Her 2009 People’s Choice Awards performance still gives me chills to this day. Breathtaking in her delivery, Carrie has a real treasure with this song…too bad it never saw the light of day at radio. While it may be a bit repetitive, lyrically, it remains a stunning masterpiece in her catalog. It will be remembered as one of her greatest contributions.

Play On

Singles Released: “Cowboy Casanova,” “Temporary Home,” “Undo It,” “Mama’s Song”

“Quitter”: Produced by pop hitmaker Max Martin, the track is certainly different than everything else in her songbook. With a fresh polish of pop shine, Carrie could have had a crossover smash with this one. The plucky guitar underpinning adds enough country flavor to appeal to her more traditional fans while being accessible to the mainstream. It’s catchy, fun and still allows her voice to shine through. Instead of “Cowboy Casanova,” she should have led this album era off with this chipper song.

“Someday When I Stop Loving You”: Carrie’s balladry spans every single album, and as far as potential singles go, this should have been at the top of the list. Tender and sweeping, this packs a wallop and is matchless against every release this era. How this never became a no. 1 for her is beyond my comprehension. With her dissenters continually screaming “not country enough,” this would have smacked them in their face. Period.

“What Can I Say” (ft. Sons of Sylvia): This had iconic duet written all over it. This is a song that I always come back to. It possesses a magical quality found in many of country music’s most enduring duets (see: “Islands In The Stream”). It’s assertive, passionate and doesn’t skimp on the glory notes that Carrie is so well-known for. It is so distinctive it could have taken her to the next level of superstardom. Oh, what could have been.

Blown Away

Singles Released: “Good Girl,” “Blown Away,” “Two Black Cadillacs,” “See You Again”

“Wine After Whiskey”: I’ll defend this single choice to my dying day. In fact, I dedicated a previous Fan Friday to talk about this song in great detail. Read here. ( I posted this under Wine After Whisky Fans). Here is the link:
    Why Carrie Underwood's "Wine After Whiskey" Needs to Be a Single - Popdust

“Do You Think About Me”: Cute, sweet, subdued are just a few words to aptly describe this song. It certainly is not a big belter, by any stretch of the imagination, but it allows Carrie to explore her more traditional roots, adding in ample guitar and mandolin throughout. It has a hint of “Strawberry Wine” (by Deana Carter) in its sentiment, while remaining more hopeful (rather than sorrowful) about the past. Slam dunk.

Concert Stars
    I agree with most of these, especially The Night Before, Get Out of This Town, and WAW and DYTAM.

I agree with most of it as well. Starts With Goodbye, I Know You Won’t, Someday When I Stop Loving You, What Can I Say” (ft. Sons of Sylvia), Wine After Whiskey and Do You Think About Me are the ones I agree with as singles.

I have to disagree with I know you won't glad it wasn't released as a single imo it would of flopped to me it is slow and depressing. I don’t mind slow, sad, songs on radio some do well as singles but I don't think I know you won't is one of those plus it basically repeating the same thing over and over "you say you call but I know you won't"
    lizcarlo likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I agree with all of them except for (LOL) Quitter.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I agree with every single one on this list! Just throw in FOTF for Carnival Ride and that wouldve been my list too
    lizcarlo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtreasmith View Post
    I agree with all of them except for (LOL) Quitter.
    'Quitter' would have smashed. Not mult-format, but a smash regardless.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Very few songs in her official catalogue are not potential country number one hits really.

Except for -
    Some Hearts: 'That's Where It Is', 'While We're Young and Beautiful'
    Carnival Ride: 'Twisted', 'Wheel Of The World'
    Play On: 'This Time'
    Blown Away: 'Forever Changed', 'Thank God For Hometowns'
    pklongbeach and lizcarlo like this.

Concert Stars
    Agree. Alot of her music is very radio friendly.

But I do believe that some of it works better at country radio and some would work better at multi-format.

With that, I agree with most of the list above, but the writer seems very pop leaning.

If we are talking "promoted to pop" I would say most of the songs listed would do fairly well.

I still believe that IKYW is a top 10 Pop Hit song, if it had been remix to a pop arrangement that was more radio friendly, I think that song could have smashed. There is a reason mainstream singers picked up on that song and did covers!

A few that I would just have loved to go to radio period; GOOTT / IAICA / SLT / Quitter / DYTAM /

I personally think one of the only Carrie-Songs that really were just a fun radio romp that people loved to hear when it came on the radio was All-American Girl. Just for the fact that it was a fun singalong song.
    I believe Carrie could have more songs like that, that would be radio friendly sing-alongs.

I personally think she could have closed BA with one final single being DYTAM and she could have ended the era on a really high note.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    The Carrie Underwood Singles That Might Have Been - Popdust

Some Hearts

Singles Released: “Jesus Take The Wheel,” “Don’t Forget To Remember Me,” “Before He Cheats,” “Wasted:

“The Night Before (Life Goes On)”: Ballad-like in its structure, this coming-of-age story details a relationship that is torn apart by time and adulthood. As the title suggests, the young couple is on the brink of a big change in life. She is headed to college; he’s headed to a job at his daddy’s shop down the road. “They’ve been dreading this moment all summer long,” Carrie sings, dripping with emotion. Unlike all her other singles up until that point, this classic-in-the-making could have been one of her biggest hits.

“Starts With Goodbye”: Another ardent ballad, Carrie pours her soul into the lyrics. While a few lines talk about a breakup, the chorus lends itself quite easily to any parting, whether it be a friendship, marriage, etc. Everyone, in all walks of life, has experienced change and moving on. Relegated as an album cut, this ornament speaks directly to love and loss and is simply one of her finest vocals to-date.

Carnival Ride

Singles Released: “So Small,” “All American Girl,” “Last Name,” “Just a Dream,” “I Told You So”

“Get Out Of This Town”: As a romping, bouncy album track, this one is always a crowd pleaser in live shows. There is a free-spirited side to Carrie that most country music fans rarely get to experience. The song isn’t deep in any way, and that’s why it could have been a great single release. It’s careless and spontaneous and just a fun tune to roll down your car windows too. Plus, it’s catchy as all get out. That’s always a much-needed bonus.

“I Know You Won’t”: Carrie has performed this song countless times over the years and is one of the most vocally challenging songs she has ever recorded. Her 2009 People’s Choice Awards performance still gives me chills to this day. Breathtaking in her delivery, Carrie has a real treasure with this song…too bad it never saw the light of day at radio. While it may be a bit repetitive, lyrically, it remains a stunning masterpiece in her catalog. It will be remembered as one of her greatest contributions.

Play On

Singles Released: “Cowboy Casanova,” “Temporary Home,” “Undo It,” “Mama’s Song”

“Quitter”: Produced by pop hitmaker Max Martin, the track is certainly different than everything else in her songbook. With a fresh polish of pop shine, Carrie could have had a crossover smash with this one. The plucky guitar underpinning adds enough country flavor to appeal to her more traditional fans while being accessible to the mainstream. It’s catchy, fun and still allows her voice to shine through. Instead of “Cowboy Casanova,” she should have led this album era off with this chipper song.

“Someday When I Stop Loving You”: Carrie’s balladry spans every single album, and as far as potential singles go, this should have been at the top of the list. Tender and sweeping, this packs a wallop and is matchless against every release this era. How this never became a no. 1 for her is beyond my comprehension. With her dissenters continually screaming “not country enough,” this would have smacked them in their face. Period.

“What Can I Say” (ft. Sons of Sylvia): This had iconic duet written all over it. This is a song that I always come back to. It possesses a magical quality found in many of country music’s most enduring duets (see: “Islands In The Stream”). It’s assertive, passionate and doesn’t skimp on the glory notes that Carrie is so well-known for. It is so distinctive it could have taken her to the next level of superstardom. Oh, what could have been.

Blown Away

Singles Released: “Good Girl,” “Blown Away,” “Two Black Cadillacs,” “See You Again”

“Wine After Whiskey”: I’ll defend this single choice to my dying day. In fact, I dedicated a previous Fan Friday to talk about this song in great detail. Read here. ( I posted this under Wine After Whisky Fans). Here is the link:
    Why Carrie Underwood's "Wine After Whiskey" Needs to Be a Single - Popdust

“Do You Think About Me”: Cute, sweet, subdued are just a few words to aptly describe this song. It certainly is not a big belter, by any stretch of the imagination, but it allows Carrie to explore her more traditional roots, adding in ample guitar and mandolin throughout. It has a hint of “Strawberry Wine” (by Deana Carter) in its sentiment, while remaining more hopeful (rather than sorrowful) about the past. Slam dunk.
    I loved the SH singles; there were lots of great songs that could have been potential singles.

The studio version of "I Know You Won't" never quite clicked for me, although it is amazing live. I'm all for Carrie showing off her vocal talent, but this choice seems a bit safe, and it might reiterate the stereotype about Carrie as the bland, power- ballad diva.
    "Quitter" is my least favorite Carrie, so I'm glad it wasn't a single. WCIS would have been a good choice, with solid lyrics and a masterful vocal performance from Carrie.
    I have to be in the mood for SWISLY; it is a beautiful song, but I can't say I was too heartbroken it wasn't a single.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute, though. Sometimes I get the impression Carrie fans wish certain songs could have been singles so critics will give Carrie some credit where quality material is concerned.
    You can never predict what the critics will or won't like, and even if some of these singles had been released, there's no guarantee the critics would have praised Carrie, or that she would have won a few awards simply because she released a good song with an amazing vocal performance.
    It's been said a million times, but as long as Carrie continues to receive support from fans and radio, everything else would be icing on the cake.
    Sure, it be wonderful for Carrie to be respected by critics, but it just as easily might not. There's no magic cure to be loved by everybody, no matter how great the song or artist might be.
    And if there was a magic cure that would cause everyone to love Carrie, we would have found it by now
    lizcarlo likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower Hoangalicious's Avatar
    Actually that writer's pick is very identical to mine. I've always thought that Carrie and her team chose the wrong songs to represent Play On as well as her artistry and diversity (not just to please some critics). Quitter would have brought about a to some extent appeal for non-country fans. What Can I Say can showcase her songwriting while I have no doubt Someday could have had some Grammy love if it had been released. Plus, truthful heart-aching songs are always, I think, more relatable, which is what I crave for in Carrie's singles.
    lizcarlo and somecountryblog like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I loved the SH singles; there were lots of great songs that could have been potential singles.

The studio version of "I Know You Won't" never quite clicked for me, although it is amazing live. I'm all for Carrie showing off her vocal talent, but this choice seems a bit safe, and it might reiterate the stereotype about Carrie as the bland, power- ballad diva.
    "Quitter" is my least favorite Carrie, so I'm glad it wasn't a single. WCIS would have been a good choice, with solid lyrics and a masterful vocal performance from Carrie.
    I have to be in the mood for SWISLY; it is a beautiful song, but I can't say I was too heartbroken it wasn't a single.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute, though. Sometimes I get the impression Carrie fans wish certain songs could have been singles so critics will give Carrie some credit where quality material is concerned.
    You can never predict what the critics will or won't like, and even if some of these singles had been released, there's no guarantee the critics would have praised Carrie, or that she would have won a few awards simply because she released a good song with an amazing vocal performance.
    It's been said a million times, but as long as Carrie continues to receive support from fans and radio, everything else would be icing on the cake.
    Sure, it be wonderful for Carrie to be respected by critics, but it just as easily might not. There's no magic cure to be loved by everybody, no matter how great the song or artist might be.
    And if there was a magic cure that would cause everyone to love Carrie, we would have found it by now
    I really appreicate you reminding us of this. And I get caught in this trap also.
    I often find that Critics already have ideas in mind about a singer before they even begin to type a review.
    So we see so often with Carrie a "bleed-in" effect where the critic seems to be talking more about what they like or dislike about Carrie more than really being able to cretique the song. And if the singer happens to be a critics darling, it almost doesnt matter what they release the critic is still going to find supportive ways in which to express their opinion.

So you are right, it is flawed thinking to attempt to release material that you think will get critics attention.
    And awards come in such a varied and diverse way, there is no way to predict that a song is going to be an award winner (unless you are Mirnada being handed MBH or THTBM. ha ha ha those were guarentees before she ever sang a note).

But in the end I agree that the label and carrie have to try to figure out what is best overall. And that is not easy.
    One of the most important things they have managed to do is send music to radio that is going to have impact. That is why Carrie continues to be a staple. Cause her music is appreciated by radio and by the audience. WAW or SWISLY are both great songs. But are they radio friendly? I'm not convinced.
    And even if critics did swoon over them, they could still easily flop at radio.
    Which would you rather have?

I have accepted that there is a certain amount of judgement towards Carrie by critics in general. And particially it may be because she has never had to struggle.
    But whatever it is, I see no point in attempting to choose music for them.

The fans, the radio, and the general public. That is who you want to respond to singles!

I think there have been a few missteps in singles choices. But then, with the track record she has, how can I complain??

The longterm outlook of her catalog is varied and quite dynamic. Much more so than any other woman in country music probably Ever!

So when you have so much good music to choose from its hard to say she has made mistakes with the critics.

Fans, Radio, General Public. Critics be Damned!
    lizcarlo likes this.

I Know You Wont is repetitive. I just love how she sings it. I know critics will never like certain artists I like a lot. I've never cared about Critics opinions.

Concert Stars
    IKYW is repetitive. That is why I think it could have had a better makeover.

Most pop music is repetitive. Very Repetitive, ha ha ha.......

I don't suggest it would work as it is in its current incarnation. But had it been given a makeover, it has hit song written all over it.
    Marie2011 and lizcarlo like this.

My input
    Some Hearts: I Ain't In Checotah Anymore. One of my all-time favorite Carrie songs. Such a cute nod to her Oklahoma town and her farm girl life! And VERY country!
    Carnival Ride: Flat On The Floor. YES!! This song gets me SO pumped! Just country, in your face awesomeness! So should have been a single! Maybe in place of LN.
    Play On: Quitter. Lovely, catchy, pop-country. A perfect single. Honorable mention: Songs Like This. Only problem is that it would be ANOTHER boy-bashing single.
    Blown Away: Wine After Whiskey. Oh, what could have been. I will never forget my sadness when SYA was announced as the fourth and most likely last single. ;(
    Farawayhills and lizcarlo like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar
    Why Good in Goodbye was never released, I will never understand.
    mtreasmith and lizcarlo like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan14 View Post
    Why Good in Goodbye was never released, I will never understand.
    I agree with all of these... Flat on the floor from Carnival Ride should have been released. It would have made a great 6th single. From Play On, she should have released songs like this, and what can I say. From Blown away I think they could have released good in goodbye, wine after whiskey, and so many more. I also think Carrie and her team should have taken a different approach, and released Quitter from Play On, and Who are you from Blown away on adult contemporary, and pop stations to broaden her audience not only here stateside, but worldwide.
    pklongbeach and lizcarlo like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoangalicious View Post
    Actually that writer's pick is very identical to mine. I've always thought that Carrie and her team chose the wrong songs to represent Play On as well as her artistry and diversity (not just to please some critics). Quitter would have brought about a to some extent appeal for non-country fans. What Can I Say can showcase her songwriting while I have no doubt Someday could have had some Grammy love if it had been released. Plus, truthful heart-aching songs are always, I think, more relatable, which is what I crave for in Carrie's singles.
    I think the whole Play On era was a dud, especially compared to all her other album eras. I would have gone something like this:

CC (I'll give them that one, not because I love it but because it works as a lead single)
    What Can I Say
    Quitter
    Someday When I Stop Loving You
    Songs Like This

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    I think the whole Play On era was a dud, especially compared to all her other album eras. I would have gone something like this:

CC (I'll give them that one, not because I love it but because it works as a lead single)
    What Can I Say
    Quitter
    Someday When I Stop Loving You
    Songs Like This
    I understood why she released Cowboy Casanova and Temporary home, and even Undo It. However, I think that she should have cut out releasing Mama's Song, I think that, that song was a dud. In it's place she should have released Songs Like this, and What can I say. Quitter should have been released on AC and POP stations. If she wanted a country version, she could have had an acoustic version of it. It just felt like to me, that they kind of dropped the ball in regards to the album. It also felt like Play On was rushed, and just thrown together. I wonder if this is why she took her time with BA, and why it was so much better. In fact I think BA is her best album to date. I loved every song on the album. Oh and in regards to Quitter my personal opinion is, that if they were never going to release it, it should have never been on the album because didn't she have to go all the way to Stockholm to record it.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    An interesting article - thanks, Jason!

I have a lot of admiration for the Country singles released in the SH era - and I wouldn't want to change them ("Wasted" is probably the one I personally find least satisfying, mainly because of its heavy reliance on power choruses - but the verses are strong, and I see it as a good choice, partly because of its likely appeal to a large part of the American Idol audience, and partly because of its stylistic connection with the previous "Diva" era. The other three songs were all more innovative for the female Mainstream, but the four together were a very successful mix.)

For an extra single from BA, your two choices are the most interesting. Carrie's album tracks have usually involved a fairly small group of mainly younger Nashville songwriters (supplemented on occasion by outsiders from the General Music field) - but on this occasion she went for some long established writers. "The Night Before Life Goes On" involved Mobley & Thrasher - top ranking Nashville hit makers that I don't think Carrie has used since. But I'm particularly interested in Angelo Petraglia (often known just by his first name), who co-wrote "Starts With Goodbye" with Hillary. Rather surprisingly, both Carrie and Taylor Swift picked him for a cut on their debut albums, but his work has appeared on a wide array of albums, including the Dixie Chicks, Patty Griffn, Kim Richey, the Kings of Leon and the present day "Nashville" TV show. Here's an example of his work, from Emmylou's award winning "Red Dirt Girl" album. (In my opinion, Carrie could benefit from some music like this, and I'd be interested to see her working with Angelo today.)

Having praised the strong single choices from SH, I have to say that Carrie's radio singles became rather more variable in quality over the next two albums - there were some gems, but also several that seemed more lightweight., in comparison with the depth and innovation she showed in her breakthrough. For the CR era, I would have kept SS and JAD, and probably ITYS (the latter mainly because of the connection it established with a classic era). But I'd be happy to replace AAG and LN. GOOTT would be a good choice, but I'd also like to add FOTF.

I agree with those who've already said that PO was not the most memorable Carrie album - one that I felt did little to enhance Carrie's overall reputation outside the fan base. I would, though, defend "Cowboy Casanova" as one of the few songs from the album that's actually grown in stature for me. The two from that album that I really like, though, are SWISLY and SLT. Neither became a single - though Carrie named SWISLY as her favourite from the album, and SLT attracted enough radio interest to chart without promotion.

BA was the album that I felt got back on track, for innovation and depth. I was very pleased with the first three singles, which I felt matched the strength of choice that Carrie had shown on SH. (Like Wildflower, though, I was very disappointed with the fourth choice). CGAS would have been the single I'd most like to have seen released, as showing a side of Carrie's musical interests that has rarely been featured on her recordings - though there are several others that would have been interesting choices. (I can't, though, support DYTAM - it's always struck me as a very lightweight song, not reflecting the unusual and innovative feel of the first three singles, and not conveying - at least to me - the "new level" of depth and maturity suggested by much of the rest of the album)

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast