Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1820Likes

Thread: May 20 ACM Salute to troops (taped April 7, 2014) (Official Discussion Thread)

May 20 ACM Salute to troops (taped April 7, 2014) (Official Discussion Thread)

ACM Plans Superstar Salute To The Troops : MusicRow ? Nashville's Music Industry Publication ? News, Songs From Music City

CBS 9 pm-11 pm

Featuring Merle Haggard, George Strait, Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, and more

Correcion it is to be pretape April 7

Concert Stars
    This is great!

So happy she will be doing this.

I hope she does not sing JAD, as some see that song as an anti-patriotic sentiment. But I know whatever she does will be presented beautifully with all her heart and soul.

How is just a dream anti patriotic? is it as patriotic as Toby Keith songs no but it is most definitely not anti patriotic.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That is so cool that Carrie is a part of this

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Love as this Carrie stuff to look forward to!

Excited for this!

Concert Stars
    This is really great news! I am thrilled Carrie is part of something to honor the troops, and it is great that both Merle Haggard and George Strait will be there. I cannot wait for this!

Plus- this means Carrie will be at the ACMS for sure, as she would not fly out to Vegas for this the day after the ACMS but not attend the ACMS.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    This is great!

So happy she will be doing this.

I hope she does not sing JAD, as some see that song as an anti-patriotic sentiment. But I know whatever she does will be presented beautifully with all her heart and soul.
    No offense to you as I know you are right that some people find JAD "anti-patriotic"- but that is the biggest, most illogical stretch of an innocent song I ever heard of in my life. lol In no way is this meant as Anti-patriotic. It is honoring the fallen soldiers with the pain and heartbreak, and it is also honoring the loved ones left behind in their grief.

Every military person I know, that knows this song, loves it, and takes it as a tribute to fallen soldiers, not some crazy anti-patriotic message. I will never understand people I guess. lol

I say-- sing this song Carrie! Sing it loud and proud! Everyone will love it!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'm gonna say for a show saluting the troops JAD would be wholy inappropriate.
    It's about the death of a soldier.They know the reality , they don't need that reminder on a night of celebration.

I say sing SYA - beautiful song, uplifting,full of hope!

Or a cover of a song we've not heard her sing before would be good too.:-)
    liz278, DaisyTweets and rainbow1 like this.

I say if she wants to sing JAD go for it. The song is NOT unpatriotic. I don't think the majority of people think it is. My dad was in military for years, went to Iraq war came back and retired. He really liked JAD so much it was on list of songs for me to download for him.
    teesharky, rainbow1 and gwade82 like this.

Happy for Carrie. This is exciting.

Concert Stars
    I too am glad that she has been invited to sing in this. I have wanted her to be a part of these things for a few years, so I will watch this show (might have anyway, but since Carrie is a part of it I will watch). I know this is not the only reason they invited her, but I am sure it was a part of the discussion - "she brings in millions of viewers, let's make sure we invite her to be a part of this!" :-) Just to be fair, she has been involved in the USO, so for her to be a part of this is a no brainer on the part of the producers and CBS. I know that the discussion probably did take place.
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Whatever she sings- it will be fantastic!

I kind of hope she does a cover- something like "God Bless the USA." She would blow that out of the water.
    rainbow1 likes this.

I wonder if Kellie Pickler and/or Toby Keith is going to perform the article said that Carrie, George, The Band Perry, etc.etc were the first to be announced so i wonder who else is going to perform. I am assuming more performers are going to be announce and I hope Kellie Pickler, and Toby Keith performs.
    rainbow1, lizcarlo and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    I too am glad that she has been invited to sing in this. I have wanted her to be a part of these things for a few years, so I will watch this show (might have anyway, but since Carrie is a part of it I will watch). I know this is not the only reason they invited her, but I am sure it was a part of the discussion - "she brings in millions of viewers, let's make sure we invite her to be a part of this!" :-) Just to be fair, she has been involved in the USO, so for her to be a part of this is a no brainer on the part of the producers and CBS. I know that the discussion probably did take place.
    IMO, she has been invited to all of these ACM honors events but during the years she has been on tour she has declined which I totally back her on so she can actually have an extra day off where she didn't have to do anything other than travel to wherever the next tour date was.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    I wonder if Kellie Pickler and/or Toby Keith is going to perform the article said that Carrie, George, The Band Perry, etc.etc were the first to be announced so i wonder who else is going to perform. I am assuming more performers are going to be announce and I hope Kellie Pickler, and Toby Keith performs.
    As much as those two are involved with the military, the only way they don't perform is if they already had something going on that they can't get out of.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Widows' and veterans' organizations praised JAD, and disabled veterans appeared on stage at at least one performance. It's not in any way unpatriotic.

Carrie was warned by the writers, though, that the song would be perceived by some as political - but "political" is not the same as "unpatriotic" No one political perspective has a monopoly on patriotism. The fact is that songs that showed this perspective on military sacrifice were relatively common in the Roots sector, and rare in the Mainstream - and the two wings are perceived by some in the Nashville industry as divided by politics as well as by music. (This is far from universally true - but there's no doubt that the perception exists.) The American political climate has become bitterly divided for many - and it's pointless to deny that some in the Nashville industry would prefer to keep their format "on message" for one side in the political divide.
    That view was certainly not shared by all the older "legend" singers, by any means, and, importantly, it is increasingly not shared by a significant proportion of the younger songwriters and performing artists. Both those groups are closer in attitude, in many respects, to the more open minded and less cautious approach that was never lost in the Roots sector.

JAD is, in fact, one of the standouts in Carrie's repertoire - and even for the more cautious end of the Mainstream industry, there'd be much less reason to be wary of a bereavement song today than there might have been (for some) at the tail end of the Bush administration, when his advisers were discouraging the media from focusing on coffins and funerals as a risk of eroding public war support. The song was effectively "snubbed" by all the main award shows.

But much as I admire Carrie for singing it, I'm inclined to agree with Maddkat
    SYA is very far from my musical taste - but that's not the point. If it brings a positive sense of hope and encouragement to military families, then that is the main thing.
    teesharky and gwade82 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I'm gonna say for a show saluting the troops JAD would be wholy inappropriate.
    It's about the death of a soldier.They know the reality , they don't need that reminder on a night of celebration.

I say sing SYA - beautiful song, uplifting,full of hope!

Or a cover of a song we've not heard her sing before would be good too.:-)
    I would love to see Carrie cover, one day, a song by one of my favourite bands. This is "Dress Blues" by the Drive-by Truckers (which illustrates how the Roots sector was much less wary of bereavement songs.)

But, I agree, "one day" may not be this day - and it is probably better to go, on this occasion, for a positive, uplifting song

rainbow1, teesharky and Curr like this.

Concert Stars
    I never heard Dress Blues before. Wow. Powerful.

It took me a while to track down the three Swedish writers, who may possibly be involved with the two Oklahoma artists, Carrie and Audra Mae in the "Salute the Troops" song.

Their names are Tim Larsson, Johan Fransson and Tobias Lundgren. They co-wrote this song, recorded by Rascal Flatts:

Please bear in my mind that we have no confirmation that the song they wrote with Audra Mae, entitled "Fighter" is the one Carrie intends to use. However, Windmills favours this possibility. Carrie has been listed as a "performer" for the song (which probably implies that her team took out a compulsory licence for it from the publishers - however this is often done for songs that are not necessarily used). The Swedish trio also say they have been working with "Nashville artists".

(I've already posted a video example of Audra Mae's other work on p36 of the "Carrie to work on new album" thread)
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast