Page 21 of 324 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree23177Likes

Thread: [Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^ Yeah. It was at the end of the making special.

But I remember they also had a short promo after that showcased that part, too. But I can't find it anywhere for some reason. X(

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    ^ Yeah. It was at the end of the making special.

But I remember they also had a short promo after that showcased that part, too. But I can't find it anywhere for some reason. X(
    I think you are thinking of one of the interviews she did with Stephen Moyer. It's at 0:34.

Concert Stars
    Attention Canadian Carebears: While online retailers show TSOM soundtrack coming out on Tuesday, Amazon.ca, Chapters.ca, and Walmart.ca all have the DVD available on January 7th, not December 17. This may have something to do with creating a French dub for the DVD.

So....it looks like your options are to wait it out until the 7th, or preorder the American release on Amazon.com; A pre-ordered copy from Amazon.com has an estimated standard delivery from Dec. 27 - January 6th. Faster shipping is available, but of course costs more. We won't know what itunes does until they release it, but I'm betting on a January itunes release as well. "On the 12th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a Carrie D-V-D"
    opry051008 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    I think you are thinking of one of the interviews she did with Stephen Moyer. It's at 0:34.

Thanks, Cary.

I think I confused the yodeling with Do-re-mi when Carrie does that incredible falsetto at the end (of the making). That's the one I'm looking for. Pretty sure I saw a promo that was posted here. I thought I saved it but maybe it was deleted. Hmmm.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Thanks, Cary.

I think I confused the yodeling with Do-re-mi when Carrie does that incredible falsetto at the end (of the making). That's the one I'm looking for. Pretty sure I saw a promo that was posted here. I thought I saved it but maybe it was deleted. Hmmm.
    It wasn't a falsetto, it's a fully connected, resonant head voice.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post

Thank-you!

We've all been waiting for you to give us a run down on Carrie's vocals. x) What note did she hit at the very end of this?

And how has she been projecting her vocals differently in this? Or even in the way she's been enunciating her words? I'm no musical theater expert but seems like she's nailing the sound.

Concert Stars
    Melissa explained it all some pages back. I think it was in this thread....maybe a different one. It was a B flat.
    mbh likes this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Melissa explained it all some pages back. I think it was in this thread....maybe a different one. It was a B flat.
    It is in the Macy's thread. Here is the link to the first one. But there are 4 more from Melissa after this one with the last being the most informative.

http://www.carriefans.com/forums/car...ml#post4497075 ([Nov 28] Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (Official Discussion Thread))

Concert Stars
    I really do think Melissa D is completely right. That David Chase is brilliant--- look at his resume. He got Carrie to use a different part of her voice- and it is phenominal! Crossing fingers- but if she can pull off those notes Thurdays-- those haters are going down.,......down......down....

Ty
    Even if she nails that note on Thursday, they're still going to hate. Some people just already have their minds made up about this special. Look at how the criticism is changing from "she's going to sound too country" to "she doesn't sound like she's connecting with the material."

I would honestly just avoid the hate, period. It's not going to be constructive.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    It is in the Macy's thread. Here is the link to the first one. But there are 4 more from Melissa after this one with the last being the most informative.

http://www.carriefans.com/forums/car...ml#post4497075 ([Nov 28] Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (Official Discussion Thread))
    Woah.

Because training is almost ALWAYS required to develop a truly connected head voice, especially if you've never really explored that area of your voice before. She's only ever used falsetto (disconnected head voice) in the past, like most country singers do. But notice how strong, clear, and resonant that note sounded, as opposed to light, airy, and detached from the rest of the sound? That's because it's actually connected to the body of the voice and not produced in a "falsetto-like" manner. She could actually learn to blend that with her chest voice to create a "mix." With falsetto, you can't do that. It always has the same fixed sound and texture to it.
    Carrie can do a mixx. ahh.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD;4497097I mean, as a natural soprano, Carrie has always had it in her . . . it just needed to be brought to the surface, and then refined. She sings a genre of music where that style of singing isn't really used, so she probably hasn't even attempted it before. [b
    There are a lot of things that Carrie can do that I'm sure she doesn't even know that she's capable [/B]of.
    Yeah, it's the same key. Julie's note was B-flat too.

I really hope that Carrie starts to incorporate high head voice notes into her songs now lol. There's no doubt that she could easily hit a soprano high C in full head voice (no falsetto) given how easy that B-flat was for her. Only a note and a semitone away...
    What. My mind is going wild now because now I'm thinking Carrie can be even better than all the Mariah Careys in the world. lol. What is this. Is it possible Carrie can do those insane whistle voices too? GET DAT COACH, Carrie.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Even if she nails that note on Thursday, they're still going to hate. Some people just already have their minds made up about this special. Look at how the criticism is changing from "she's going to sound too country" to "she doesn't sound like she's connecting with the material."

I would honestly just avoid the hate, period. It's not going to be constructive.

Oh I agree that those irrational haters will never publicly admit she did good even if she does. But I guess the critics that matter will hopefully give her the credit she deserves.

- not connecting with the material? Have they seen how comfortable and effortless she looked in those scenes with the kids??They are crazy. I haven't seen that angle of criticism yet but I am sure it is coming. Even if they admit she sings well then they will attack her acting. They just willnever admit she did good- ever.
    Last edited by teesharky; 12-01-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    mbh likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower JenuineC's Avatar

I think i just pee in my pants at how perfect this is!!!
    teesharky and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    Just watched the Making of SOM on Youtube. Looks like it's going to be really good and entertaining! Everybody sounds so wonderful from the snippets we've heard! I'm REALLY looking forward to Thursday!!!
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ me too! haha Hey guys-- the SOM Soundtrack is already at 22 itunes for Soundtracks-- and it is just a preorder. Hopefully NBC will pay for a full page of advertising on Tuesday and help it crack the top 10 on itunes.

For reference- the Catching Fire Hunger Games soundtrack just sold 65k last week I think. Frozen is out this week. Hopefully SOM can debut at number 1 on soundtracks.
    Smokyiiis, mbh, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I was thinking earlier how nice it feels to be rooting for the entire cast to do well on SOM-- not just Carrie. It is odd as I am so used to competitive award shows--- and never really care how the others do in their performances- just Carrie. haha But I like everyone in the cast so much-- and this is really a Team effort, not time for individual stars. So I am just rooting for them all to shine, and make the whole production great.

If the entire production goes really well-- it will be seen as a success no matter what those rabid haters say about Carrie. I am just praying Carrie gets more praise then hate. That is my hope. haha
    mbh, rainbow1, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    What. My mind is going wild now because now I'm thinking Carrie can be even better than all the Mariah Careys in the world. lol. What is this. Is it possible Carrie can do those insane whistle voices too? GET DAT COACH, Carrie.
    Ok, here it goes...

Whistle register isn't as rare and exotic of a feat as many people think it is. It's an acquired skill that seems extremely remote and unattainable at first, but once you tap into that specific mechanism of negotiating just enough air at the vocal folds in order to produce that "whistle-like" sound, you're already halfway there. After that point, it just takes practice. A lot of practice. Will you ever get to a Mariah Carey level of virtuosity in the whistle register? Probably not, because she can/could REALLY dance around in it and make it sound freakishly melodic. That's why we're a bit more forgiving of her use of whistle, because she really is/was a master of it.

Now, the problem with whistle register is that you're technically not even using your vocal tract to produce the sound. As such, it's an even more disconnected, illegitimate form of "vocalization" than falsetto. All you're doing is gently pushing air out from the back of your throat to create a "whistling" sound effect. That's literally all it is. That's why so many people don't even consider it to be real singing, and why they don't include notes produced in that "register" in classical/operatic circles.
    Mariah Carey would have about a 3-octave range if it wasn't for her whistle register. There are so many female singers that can actually hit many of the same notes that she does in her whistle register, but in their actual head voices. In head voice, the notes obviously count since head voice is connected to the body of the voice structure. There is modal (chest), head, and middle (which is a "mix" of the two). Everything else doesn't count. That's why they don't call it "falsetto voice" or "whistle voice" - If there's no connection to the body, no resonance to be produced, and no capacity for seamless transitions between registers, then it technically can't be included. There are guys on youtube that upload videos documenting their "6+ octave range," which they believe that they have just because they can squeak really high in whistle register. Yet there's a HUGE freaking gap between the first 2.5 octaves of their range and the remaining 3.5 octaves since there's no connection after a certain note. That's why we normally don't really count whistle register. It's "cheating" in a way. It's also unfair to say that someone who chirps a C7 in whistle register - but can't go past A5 in connected head voice - has a "higher range" than someone that can execute a fully connected G6 in their head voice. It's the opposite.

Go to 2:44 ... Bb6 in connected head voice.

Compared to Bb6 in whistle register @ 3:32 (yes it was lip-synched)

?? Mariah Carey & Patricia Carey - O Come All Ye Faithful (Live at ABC Christmas Special) - YouTube

Hear the difference? lol

Back to Carrie - I'm not sure just how far she went with her training, but I'm going to assume that it wasn't very VERY far since it was all for this specific, one-time event. Plus, they were working under a very limited time schedule that needed focusing on more than just singing. They probably did "just enough" to give her the confidence to tackle the numbers that she's going to perform. I doubt that they really went very far in terms of helping her develop the extreme upper-extension of her soprano range. But hopefully she is happy with the results of her training - and is so enthralled by the new things that she's learned to do - that she decides to continue training and working her voice to its full potential, beyond anything that she ever thought she could be capable of doing.

gran29, maddkat, teesharky and 9 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    that's a nice article
    and I love this picture

•