Page 11 of 324 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree23171Likes

Thread: [Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

Concert Stars
    Think the toughest part for Carrie will be the acting part/being animated/theatrical especially since she's reserved and doesnt have much acting/theatre experience but if anybody can pull it off she can.
    rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Thanks Opry you're awesome and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
    Jade_kt, mtreasmith and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan carriefan0825's Avatar
    joining jaks and Neil in thanking you, opry. you are a hero in our eyes

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    PETYON IS MY FAVORITE!!!!!!! she is so damn cute I could die!

Peyton is so cute! I love it when she asked "is Carrie Underwood in there?" (smiley)
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_kt View Post
    Think the toughest part for Carrie will be the acting part/being animated/theatrical especially since she's reserved and doesnt have much acting/theatre experience but if anybody can pull it off she can.
    Agreed. But we should remember that she will be playing her version of Maria.
    She will not be playing Julie Andrews playing Maria.
    I say that because lastnight it was so hard not to make comparisons in my head when I was watching the iconic moments recreated. But two things occured to me;

1st; Carrie is a very, in the moment, type performer, so until she is actually "doing the part" she is not 100% giving it in rehersal. She gives 100% vocally, but I think she has a hard time "pretending" when she knows the cameras are not running. So I imagine I was going to be very surprised when I see her fully engaged and "in the moment".

2nd; Carrie is not, can not be, and won't be, Julie Andrews interpretations. So I will have to make an effort not to judge her based on what my mind keeps telling me. Julie is an incredibly expressive woman whos ability to express emotion on film is unparalleled. I can not expect Carrie to be that person. It just won't be fair to either woman.
    No, instead I must let Carrie be the "Maria" that she is inside. And let that be the reality of this interpretation. If I can do that, I know my mind will be blown. IF I can't, its my own loss.

I am convinced after what I saw last nght, that she can be maria, just a different maria. With a deeper sense of groundedness. And since I am aware that the kids actually aboslutely adore her, it will be easy for me to image that she came into this home and brought love and music and family.

in short; I am convinced she can do this!! (its only my willingness to let her that stands in the way.....)

Concert Stars
    I think she connects with the essence of Maria. She can put herself in Maria's shoes, so to speak. After all the work she has done I think when the time comes, she will BE Maria.

Found this post at the Broadway.com message boards:

I was a bit lukewarm about this whole thing, but I watched the special last night and now I'm really looking forwards to this. They all seem terribly invested into the whole project, and that passion seems to be translating to their performances -- as it should.
    rainbow1, Gator, teesharky and 7 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Wow thank you Opry! This is already so interesting I'm just on part 1!
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    I recorded the show and just watched it. WOW--I am absolutely floored by Carrie and the cast. I am so proud of Carrie that even a tough guy like me had a tear in my eye---pride for a good job ----I can not wait to see the show even more now. I agree with the rest of you that Carrie looks happier than I have seen her in a long time and also think it is because she is not having to deal with petty jealousies and resentments as she does in the country music world. Sad but true. It is evident that the directors, cast, etc.. like her and accept her. GREAT JOB Carrie...and cast.
    exactly! So many haters are just bitter and jealous and afraid of change. They want to pigeon hole Carrie in a box-- COUNTRY SINGER- and lock that box tight shut. They hate when people venture out of the safe comfort zone of the image they have for them. They trash poor Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck too- hate and death threats- when both are really fantastic actually.

Carrie did so amazing! And the feedback last night on twitter was really positive! Refreshing change!
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    guys do we know the ratings for last night's tv special? I realize it will be significantly lower then next week's show ratings will be- but I am curious if it can give us a guage of how many will be watching? tx.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by NEILHUNK View Post
    For the love of God, i don't know how or where or how carrie manages to host and perform at the CMAs, in front of people whom she knows don't like her. Scratch that, i'm sure they like her and they are impressed with her, but they are just bitter and rotten inside that they don't want to acknowledge carrie. if i were her, I would have made a mockery of all those fake, plastic people
    Me too! if things go as smoothly as I hope and pray they do-- it will be the biggest vindication ever for all of us- and for Carrie! the haters have been after her for a YEAR! and they are bitter and relentless! I cannot wait to tell them all to go suck it! haha

I am glad Carrie told EW about the hate tweets she gets. Some people told her to go die and wished her to actually break her leg- literally. They are vile and cursed her out too with the F and C words. I am glad Carrie spoke out. Ever since she did- and People mag picked it up- it has gotten much better on twitter. People are defending her now.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    guys do we know the ratings for last night's tv special? I realize it will be significantly lower then next week's show ratings will be- but I am curious if it can give us a guage of how many will be watching? tx.
    Ratings are in!

TV Ratings Wednesday: ?Criminal Minds?, ?Survivor?, ?The X Factor? & ?CSI? Down on Soft Thanksgiving Eve - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Overnight ratings for Wednesday, November 27, 2013:
    Time Net Show 18-49 Rating/Sh Viewers (millions)
    8:00 CBS Survivor 2.2/7 8.81
    FOX The X Factor (8-10PM) 1.2/4 4.86
    NBC The Making of The Sound of Music Live! 1.0/3 4.92
    ABC The Middle - R 1.0/4 4.89
    CW Planes, Trains and Automobiles (9-11PM) 0.5/2 1.79

Concert Stars
    I think she is forever changing who people thought she was by doing this.

Its very hard at this point to limit what you are seeing to a "reality show winner".
    After so many years of being so good, I think it is finally going to become obvious that Carrie is a great deal more than where she came from.

I honestly think even the cast of the show has had some turn arounds. I imagine even Audra, who has been surrounded by top-notch actors and singers her whole career probably had her doubts. But I truly believe everyone on board has no doubts whatso ever at this point.

I had to giggle at the one little von trapp actor who didn't even know who Carrie Underwood was. ha ha ha....

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Agreed. But we should remember that she will be playing her version of Maria.
    She will not be playing Julie Andrews playing Maria.
    I say that because lastnight it was so hard not to make comparisons in my head when I was watching the iconic moments recreated. But two things occured to me;

1st; Carrie is a very, in the moment, type performer, so until she is actually "doing the part" she is not 100% giving it in rehersal. She gives 100% vocally, but I think she has a hard time "pretending" when she knows the cameras are not running. So I imagine I was going to be very surprised when I see her fully engaged and "in the moment".

2nd; Carrie is not, can not be, and won't be, Julie Andrews interpretations. So I will have to make an effort not to judge her based on what my mind keeps telling me. Julie is an incredibly expressive woman whos ability to express emotion on film is unparalleled. I can not expect Carrie to be that person. It just won't be fair to either woman.
    No, instead I must let Carrie be the "Maria" that she is inside. And let that be the reality of this interpretation. If I can do that, I know my mind will be blown. IF I can't, its my own loss.

I am convinced after what I saw last nght, that she can be maria, just a different maria. With a deeper sense of groundedness. And since I am aware that the kids actually aboslutely adore her, it will be easy for me to image that she came into this home and brought love and music and family.

in short; I am convinced she can do this!! (its only my willingness to let her that stands in the way.....)
    Agree. Of course Carrie cannot and will not be Julie Andrews. She freely admits this.

Julie had extensive theater background and training. She was an actress too not just a singer.

Carrie is having to jump in a very shark filled pool and hope she can swim! haha But she will! After last night, I am more convinced then ever that she can do this beautifully!

Re: Carrie's acting-- were you as impressed as I was re: her interaction with the kids? It was effortless and real, not fake or manufactured. I think that will go a very long way to help some critics give her a break on the nasty reviews they would likely otherwise give on her due to bias and her lack of acting skills- or pure hate due to loyalty to Julie and the original.

But Carrie with the kids was fantastic. She was as good as Julie on that part-- because Carrie comes off more child like and younger somehow then Julie did...if that makes any sense. I am sure Julie will remain the best in the other older scenes-- but with the kids- I think Carrie matched her. I mean that to my core. The other acting scenes will be harder for Carrie- ie the love scenes and when she tells the Captain off. lol But with the kids? Carrie matched Julie. She was expressive and fun and child like. She was perfect.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    TV ratings: ?Criminal Minds? leads CBS to a big win against soft competition - Zap2it

Fast National ratings for Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013

The CBS win was even larger than normal since it had all-new episodes up against ABC's reruns, NBC's special programming, "The X Factor" and a movie on the CW. "Criminal Minds" was the top show of the night with 11 million viewers.

The Peacock won with 10.2 million viewers and a 6.2 rating/11 share in households. NBC was second with 4.89 million viewers and a 3.0/5, followed closely by FOX at 4.86 million and a 2.8/5. ABC was fourth at 3.6 million viewers and a 2.3/4 and the CW brought up the rear with 1.8 million and a 1.1/2.

The 18-49 demo title also went to CBS with a 2.2, followed by NBC (1.4), FOX (1.2), ABC (0.8) and the CW (0.5).

Wednesday hour by hour:

8 p.m.

CBS: "Survivor: Blood vs. Water" (8.8 million viewers, 5.1/9 households)
    NBC: "The Making of the Sound of Music Live" (4.9 million, 3.2/5)
    ABC: "The Middle" rerun (4.89 million, 3.1/5)/"Last Man Standing" rerun (4.3 million, 2.7/5)
    FOX: "The X Factor" (4.8 million, 2.8/5)
    The CW: "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1.8 million, 1.1/2)

18-49 leader: "Survivor: Blood vs. Water" (2.2)

9 p.m.

CBS: "Criminal Minds" (11 million, 6.7/11)
    ABC: "Modern Family" rerun (4.96 million, 3.1/5)/"Super Fun Night" rerun (2.9 million, 1.9/3)
    NBC: "SNL Thanksgiving special" (4.93 million, 2.9/5)
    FOX: "The X Factor" (4.92 million, 2.9/5)
    The CW: "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1.8 million, 1.1/2)

18-49 leader: "Modern Family" (3.3)

10 p.m.

CBS: "CSI" (10.8 million, 6.7/12)
    NBC: "SNL Thanksgiving special" (4.8 million, 2.8/5)
    ABC: "Nashville" rerun (2.3 million, 1.6/3)

18-49 leader: "CSI" (2.0)

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Agree. Of course Carrie cannot and will not be Julie Andrews. She freely admits this.

Julie had extensive theater background and training. She was an actress too not just a singer.

Carrie is having to jump in a very shark filled pool and hope she can swim! haha But she will! After last night, I am more convinced then ever that she can do this beautifully!

Re: Carrie's acting-- were you as impressed as I was re: her interaction with the kids? It was effortless and real, not fake or manufactured. I think that will go a very long way to help some critics give her a break on the nasty reviews they would likely otherwise give on her due to bias and her lack of acting skills- or pure hate due to loyalty to Julie and the original.

But Carrie with the kids was fantastic. She was as good as Julie on that part-- because Carrie comes off more child like and younger somehow then Julie did...if that makes any sense. I am sure Julie will remain the best in the other older scenes-- but with the kids- I think Carrie matched her. I mean that to my core. The other acting scenes will be harder for Carrie- ie the love scenes and when she tells the Captain off. lol But with the kids? Carrie matched Julie. She was expressive and fun and child like. She was perfect.
    I agree with that last paragraph.Carrie comes off more as

She climbs a tree and scrapes her knee
    Her dress has got a tear
    She waltzes on her way to Mass
    And whistles on the stair
    And underneath her wimple
    She has curlers in her hair
    I even heard her singing in the abbey

then Julie did.Totally not knocking Julie...SOM is my favorite movie in the world and has been sing I was 9 years old and saw it for the first time. :-) Carrie just seems more playful and childlike then Julie did.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    This paragraph strikes me as very interesting. In reading some articles about the real Maria Von Trapp, it says that Maria wasn't in love the Captain when they got married. But she absolutely adored and loved the children and that is why she married the Captain. But over time Maria did fall in love with the Captain. So when you are talking about Carrie's acting, it does in an odd way have some parallels to some aspects of real Marie's life.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I agree with that last paragraph.Carrie comes off more as

She climbs a tree and scrapes her knee
    Her dress has got a tear
    She waltzes on her way to Mass
    And whistles on the stair
    And underneath her wimple
    She has curlers in her hair
    I even heard her singing in the abbey

then Julie did.Totally not knocking Julie...SOM is my favorite movie in the world and has been sing I was 9 years old and saw it for the first time. :-) Carrie just seems more playful and childlike then Julie did.
    I'm with you Donna. SOM is one of my favorite movies but Julie Andrews has always been to me more of a "Mary Poppins" personality. I think that if Carrie in her acting, is able to show her warmth, spirit and that special something that she has always had (and what made so many of us fall for her), she will be an amazing Maria. Vocally Carrie is superb, many may still prefer Julie's vocals but they can't honestly say that Carrie doesn't do the vocals justice.

Concert Stars
    I think that the relationship with the children is going to come across very naturally.
    And since she is such a natural performer, it was important that they have that chemistry. And I think it is very much there.

I also think there is a cute energy developting between her and Audra that is going to traslate. Almost like Audra is the accomplsihed mature "actress" teaching the young new one how to be a mature star.
    In this way, the chemstry reads the same as a mature nun training a young woman how to find her true calling.

•  
    Page 11 of 324 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast