Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Vince Gill looks to stay timeless by always moving forward (Carrie mention)

Concert Stars

Vince Gill looks to stay timeless by always moving forward (Carrie mention)

Gill hosted this annual extravaganza for 12 of those years — 1992 to 2003 — and in recent telecasts has been called on to perform with outsiders in need of a little hand-holding. Last year it was a duet with Kelly Clarkson. In 2010 it was Gwyneth Paltrow. There are many paths to country music’s biggest award show these days. Just look at the “American Idol” winner who’s been co-hosting the CMAs since 2008.
    “That kid Carrie Underwood sings on that show and 100 million people know who she is before she even makes a record,” says Gill. “I had to go play in 8,000 honky-tonks. But trust me, I would have done [‘Idol’], too. It’s a different day.”

Country star Vince Gill looks to stay timeless by always moving forward - The Washington Post

I wonder if when other artists say things about Carrie they think about the fact that it will be placed on here and probably be heavily scrutinized...

Of course he couldn't mention Kelly as an AI winner who didn't have to play '8,000' honky tonks, just Carrie.

Concert Stars
    "That Kid Carrie Underwood"

lol. k

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Or he fails to mention all of the fairs and talent shows and other events that Carrie did trying to get a break!!! Idol was 8 years ago now, hasn't she proven time and time and time again that she truly deserves where her hard work and dedication has brought her to????

ETA: Or how hard she worked all those months on Idol -- that wasn't just one big party.

Junior Carrie Follower JenuineC's Avatar
    This coming from Vince Gill?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    "it inspires Lambert and her clique to bounce in their seats until the air smells of expensive hair care products."

I wish I'd been sitting behind them! lol

(3rd & Lindsley, incidently, is sometimes broadcast on line. It was where i first saw Sarah Zimmerman - and I wasn't alone, she was amazed that she was suddenly getting messages and a big jump on Country i-Tunes from the UK)

Vince Gill has made similar remarks before. I see it as giving Carrie an avenue to putting a perspective on American Idol. He's also said something (roughly) like "it doesn't matter how you got here - the point is you're here" . Carrie herself seemed to start in that frame of mind. If you look at the YouTube clip, she says after an early audition something like "I put out my fishing line, and they took the bait." That in, my view, is the best all-round approach - to see American Idol as a means to an end, but as much now a part of her past as the non-Nashville starts of most other artists.
    What I find more worrying is the ongoing tendency to forever associate Carrie with American Idol - as if it still helps her today. I doubt if it does. For every fan of the show (which, honestly, appears to be now in some relative decline), you will find people who largely ignore it (I've never watched a full episode, in either country), and also people who actively dislike it. Whatever it once did for Carrie, continual mentions now can create an impression that it somehow defines or limits her.
    That is why I'd be happier for articles to refer to "Youngest ever full member of the Grand Ole Opry", "Reigning Country Queen", "18 times format chart topper", "BMI honoured songwriter", "author of four varied albums", as shorthand expressions to avoid immediately repeating her name in the second paragraph - rather than "Season whatever Idol winner" (who, after all, apart from devotees, remembers most of the other season Idol winners?)

It's served its purpose, for which we and she are grateful. For her present career and for most other people, it's now at best, a mixed blessing - and seemingly a legacy that's proving difficult for some to let her emerge from.

Concert Stars
    I would like to remind him that Carrie gave him a viral performance in 2011.

His duet with Kelly Clarkson flopped and his performance with Taylor Swift was reductive.

Concert Stars
    I really don't think he meant anything negative.

He simply stated times are changing and thats the avenue she was given. He also said he would have done it too.

Idol does not guarantee success. Out of all the Idol winners we have so far, how many made it big? And, that was like 8, 9 years ago. He should have mentioned the million other things Carrie is known for. Besides, crowning a win at Idol isn't that easy, too.

Maybe it was the interviewer who paraphrased and missed out other parts of the interview that would have made his answer makes more sense. Never trust 100% what the internet or papers say.

Concert Stars
    Gill has always been one of Carrie's biggest supporters, I really don't think he meant anything negative, why is everyone picking him apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    "it inspires Lambert and her clique to bounce in their seats until the air smells of expensive hair care products."

I wish I'd been sitting behind them! lol

(3rd & Lindsley, incidently, is sometimes broadcast on line. It was where i first saw Sarah Zimmerman - and I wasn't alone, she was amazed that she was suddenly getting messages and a big jump on Country i-Tunes from the UK)

Vince Gill has made similar remarks before. I see it as giving Carrie an avenue to putting a perspective on American Idol. He's also said something (roughly) like "it doesn't matter how you got here - the point is you're here" . Carrie herself seemed to start in that frame of mind. If you look at the YouTube clip, she says after an early audition something like "I put out my fishing line, and they took the bait." That in, my view, is the best all-round approach - to see American Idol as a means to an end, but as much now a part of her past as the non-Nashville starts of most other artists.
    What I find more worrying is the ongoing tendency to forever associate Carrie with American Idol - as if it still helps her today. I doubt if it does. For every fan of the show (which, honestly, appears to be now in some relative decline), you will find people who largely ignore it (I've never watched a full episode, in either country), and also people who actively dislike it. Whatever it once did for Carrie, continual mentions now can create an impression that it somehow defines or limits her.
    That is why I'd be happier for articles to refer to "Youngest ever full member of the Grand Ole Opry", "Reigning Country Queen", "18 times format chart topper", "BMI honoured songwriter", "author of four varied albums", as shorthand expressions to avoid immediately repeating her name in the second paragraph - rather than "Season whatever Idol winner" (who, after all, apart from devotees, remembers most of the other season Idol winners?)

It's served its purpose, for which we and she are grateful. For her present career and for most other people, it's now at best, a mixed blessing - and seemingly a legacy that's proving difficult for some to let her emerge from.
    Was this from a video interview?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I don't see how this is in any way negative. It's the truth.
    Carrie was well known before she released JTTW the vast,vast majority of artist are not.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Count me in the group that he was not saying anything negative.

Concert Stars
    Vince said this way, way back...when Carrie was just getting started in Nashville. The rest of that little speech was, "but all you have to do is listen to her". He was taking up for her....he said it doesn't matter how you get in the door!!
    bluetb4 and Inspired like this.

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Vince Gill does not deserve any negative commentary for his remarks, he has been very supportive of Carrie (ACM woman of Country, Grand Ole Opry Induction...)
    Watch this video of him discussing Carrie years ago where he mentioned the same thing about AI
    http://www.biography.com/people/vinc...rie-2078936397
    Pitocco, epicamends and bluetb4 like this.

Concert Stars
    I don't think he meant anything negative.
    I just think he and others don't give enough consideration for what it takes to accomplish what she did on Idol. And that is the problem for me. They put no perspective on it.

My perspective: You've got one shot to make those 100,000,000 people love you and choose you above the others.
    And that is week after week after week after week!! The intensity of that relatity alone is overwelming... and the odds are never going to be in you favor..

As for those 8,000 bars. That equals 8,000 times to get better and get it right!!

I know Vince likes Carrie alot. I know he respects her talent and apprecaites that she is in the format. His gracious wife Amy Grant shares that senitment I am positive.

But there is an assumption that prevails with Carrie, that does not even seem to translate to Kelly (as I have never heard these trite arguemnts made at her expense), That it was easier for her, or that Idol Gave Success to her.
    Which of course is an 8 year lie that was put to rest the very next season. His Name Is Taylor Hicks!

So no, I don't think he meant anything disparaging.
    But unfortunately, it is so darn near impossible to put yourself in Carries shoes, No one Bothers To!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I don't think he meant anything negative.
    I just think he and others don't give enough consideration for what it takes to accomplish what she did on Idol. And that is the problem for me. They put no perspective on it.

My perspective: You've got one shot to make those 100,000,000 people love you and choose you above the others.
    And that is week after week after week after week!! The intensity of that relatity alone is overwelming... and the odds are never going to be in you favor..

As for those 8,000 bars. That equals 8,000 times to get better and get it right!!

I know Vince likes Carrie alot. I know he respects her talent and apprecaites that she is in the format. His gracious wife Amy Grant shares that senitment I am positive.

But there is an assumption that prevails with Carrie, that does not even seem to translate to Kelly (as I have never heard these trite arguemnts made at her expense), That it was easier for her, or that Idol Gave Success to her.
    Which of course is an 8 year lie that was put to rest the very next season. His Name Is Taylor Hicks!

So no, I don't think he meant anything disparaging.
    But unfortunately, it is so darn near impossible to put yourself in Carries shoes, No one Bothers To!!
    Very true, and after many years of snubs, we hurt for Carrie so we tend to be very defensive and reactive to anything that sounds negative towards Carrie whether intentional or not.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Vince has always had Carrie's back from the very begining.. So I in no way see anything negative about what he said... Not only is it not negative but when he says I would do the same thing!!! That's Vince telling all the People that don't give Carrie her due because of Idol to take a hike.... Vince has said many times that it doesn't matter how she got here... Thank God she did!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    How any of you took this in a negative way is beyond me but whatever. We're talking about Vince Gill guys, come on.
    Inspired and undrwood9098 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JenuineC View Post
    Was this from a video interview?
    No, the Vince Gill interview was with the Washington Post (the original poster gave a link to the full interview)
    (Any confusion over a possible video probably comes from the fact that I also mentioned that 3rd & Lindsley, where Vince was appearing, sometimes stream their live performance shows on line)

Vince has made similar remarks before - as people have said, he's saying it to help Carrie. He's basically saying that people who hold it against her are missing the point that it was a means to getting a major start, and most people (including himself) would be glad to use a similar route today.

"Kid" may rub some people up the wrong way - and it should probably be avoided - but it is used without ill intention about younger people of both sexes. Merle Haggard has also used "kid" about Carrie, and Wayne Hancock has used it about Natalie Maines, his producer's daughter - who's older than Carrie, and not someone I'd want to get on the wrong side of!, lol

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast