Im a little boring of the CMA snubb discussion so lets talk about this! :P

Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood Not Country Says Gary Allan - YouTube
    Inspired likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post

I was just going to post this!. I didn't care for his response on Carrie, but i did find his explanation of how the country genre has been fragmented interesting.
    simonplay likes this.

Concert Stars
    What a jerk. I hate when Carrie is mixed in with Taylor. So unfair. I knew there was something about him I did not like. His music is good- but he seems very grumpy all the time.
    simonplay and pklongbeach like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post

I find the endless debates of "what is country" to be incredibly tedious. Who gets to decide what is the 'country' sound? People think of traditional country as what they remember but what I remember and what you remember may be markedly different. Is 'traditional' the style from the 40s, the 50s, the 80s ? All of those eras were different. To me a country artist is one who has made a choice to pursue the country market and one the country market has chosen to accept. It is not up to Gary Allen, any artist, or any fan to tell people what they should accept as country. If people think something strays too far from their definition of country they will let the radio stations know. We saw that with Taylor's Never song. (Interestingly he actually touched on the same concept in his response when he was talking about the country audience being a demographic.)

Concert Stars
    Gary should be thanking Carrie. Millions of people wouldn't think of listening to country music until she came along singing about Jesus and, regardless of what Gary said, stories about life with which everybody can identify. She can sing with as much twang as the best of the hillbillies but, thankfully, she chooses not to use that grating sound in all of her music. Love her!!!!!!

Concert Stars
    Who is he? What does he do in life? Never heard of him.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Well, I just added one more artist that I will not be buying any more of his music. If he is trying to gain attention for his new music then he is going about it the wrong way and pissing some people off big time. That airplane he has been watching just flew off and out of my scope for good.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    Who is he? What does he do in life? Never heard of him.
    country artist and a good one

however he's ill-informed - as was pointed out to me today the country market is no longer "soccer moms" the split between males and females is now at 50-50. And curious if 'pop' music is about what happens on the weekends why didn't he call out almost all of his fellow male stars. Thats all they sing about.

this Carrie's not country argument is just absurd.Is she Loretta Lynn on radio no, but she is today's version of Loretta.Times change, deal with it Gary.

Concert Stars
    He's just bitter. He can't sell albums, singles, get radio airplay, nor can he win any kind of award... Jealousy hasn't ever been so clearly shown before, has it?

He is a big superstar with the biggest success ever! He has more than 10 albums and 4 #1 songs! lol #legend

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieidol1 View Post
    He's just bitter. He can't sell albums, singles, get radio airplay, nor can he win any kind of award... Jealousy hasn't ever been so clearly shown before, has it?
    really, I don't think he's bitter.He's had a long time recovering from his wife's suicide and he's really just getting his footing firmly back,imo .He also had a # 1 hit this year.
    txacar, ydumarp and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars

Carrie Follower
    Poor Carrie. The comparisons will never stop. Where in the world do people get this idea that Taylor and Carrie make the same music? It's nothing alike. Is it because they are both blond?

It irritates me that he said they are pop stars making a living out of the country scene. What about stuff like "All-American Girl", "Last Name", "I Told You So", "Wasted", "Jesus Take the Wheel", "Don't Forget to remember me" "Mama's Song" "Leave Love Alone" "Cupid's Got a shotgun" "Songs like this" "temporary home" "remind me"?? These are not country songs??

She has pop-leaning stuff...pop-leaning, but not pop. "Blown Away" "Good Girl" and "See You Again" are really the only ones that fit into that category. And furthermore, why does it even matter? A song is a song. Who cares what genre it fits into?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I like Gary Allan a lot. He has a fantastic voice, and he creates some fantastic music.

That said, this isn't the first time he has made comments about fellow artists; he called Rascal Flatts pop, and HE was their opening act on their 2005 tour.

Gary himself has made plenty of mainstream music that could fit right alongside the fellow artists he gripes about, too. Although he doesn't go near the pop/overproduced country sound, he certainly should not be putting himself in the same category as Cash or Jones.

He may not be as 'pop' as they are in his mind, but he certainly has blurred his own lines as well.

Plus, I'm so sick of this "country vs. not country" debate. Country music has a wide range of styles, and just because Gary doesn't make that kind of music doesn't mean he's right when he tries to label it.

Why does it even matter? Griping about music you don't like doesn't make you better than anyone else, and Carrie takes her commitment to country music very seriously. Ask members of the Grand Ole Opry why they chose her, and I'm sure they (among many others), would agree she is great for country music.

Maybe Gary should listen to one of albums or one of her many wonderful classic country covers to discover how committed she is to country music.

He did hit it the nail on the head with Taylor, though.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Well I refuse to watch the video so I'm wondering is this a recent comment or interview? Does he say ANYTHING about the males of the genre and their pop leanings???? And why were they talking to him in the first place?

He better be careful with this comments because does he realize that Hillary is a very good friend to Carrie? She wrote and sang backup on his #1 hit this year!!!!!
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I have to give Gary credit for giving an honest answer instead of the PC BS that most celebs give to questions like that, now he will have to deal with any fallout that comes out of it.
    Inspired likes this.

Both of his songs I've heard, "Every Storm" and "Pieces" are two of the most irritating songs ever.

Then he says something like that in an interview. Hard to redeem yourself, Gary.

Also, both of the songs listed above are basically Shinedown (rock) rejects. Him being the judgement call on 'What is Country?' is absurd.

Lot of negative comments and dislikes in the video! Love it! :P

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

That said, this isn't the first time he has made comments about fellow artists; he called Rascal Flatts pop, and HE was their opening act on their 2005 tour.
    Why would anyone do that? Nothing like saying thanks than dissing them. Real classy.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Too bad he's not relevant.

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast