Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood not Country says Gary Allan

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Gary Allan and ZBB were actually making two completely different points. Both could have and should have made their points without attacking any other artist individually. To be fair, I don't think Allan meant his comments as an attack but he could have been more gracious. The arguments about what is 'true country' are pointless and silly. Is there some authority defining what constitutes country? That definition is different for different people and different time periods. The argument that much of what is being produced and sold is lyrically meaningless and borderline sexist is a more compelling argument. Unfortunately Zac Brown chose to put his comments in the form of an individual attack which makes it much harder to defend.

^ Well, Zac actually began the conversation speaking in generalizations and then the interviewer brought up Luke, but yeah. The individual "attack" is what is causing people to miss the point of what he was saying.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Reading about the Brown/Bryan controversy I came across this quote from Richard Thompson

(Richard Thompson is UK singer and songwriter, who has had a deep and pervasive influence on American Roots Music for a couple of generations. He was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the AMAs this week)

l would really love you all to take the time to read this quote.

(The quote is, of course, general in scope - but it also happens to put into words what I feel about Carrie Underwood - I think it provides the right line of approach when you hear people say she's not Country)

"You have to love the tradition that you come from or the tradition that you decide to latch onto. I mean, these days, more and more people learn music from an iPod. You can grab music from anything anywhere in the world. But I think itís important to embrace the music of where you come from, and I come from English and Scottish traditional music. Thatís where you start, and thatís the basis of what you do. Once you have a firm foundation in that, then you can go anywhere. You can be as contemporary as you like. You can bring other elements into your style. Itís still built on this firm foundation that gives your music its own unique characteristics. I write contemporary songs because I live in the contemporary world, and I write about what I see and what I do. But the roots are still there."

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I Agree So Sad How People Always Bash Our Carrie!!! It Actually Sickens Me And It's Really Pathetic!!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Reading about the Brown/Bryan controversy I came across this quote from Richard Thompson

(Richard Thompson is UK singer and songwriter, who has had a deep and pervasive influence on American Roots Music for a couple of generations. He was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the AMAs this week)

l would really love you all to take the time to read this quote.

(The quote is, of course, general in scope - but it also happens to put into words what I feel about Carrie Underwood - I think it provides the right line of approach when you hear people say she's not Country)

"You have to love the tradition that you come from or the tradition that you decide to latch onto. I mean, these days, more and more people learn music from an iPod. You can grab music from anything anywhere in the world. But I think itís important to embrace the music of where you come from, and I come from English and Scottish traditional music. Thatís where you start, and thatís the basis of what you do. Once you have a firm foundation in that, then you can go anywhere. You can be as contemporary as you like. You can bring other elements into your style. Itís still built on this firm foundation that gives your music its own unique characteristics. I write contemporary songs because I live in the contemporary world, and I write about what I see and what I do. But the roots are still there."
    This is perfect! Thanks so much.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Faraway, I love that, and I love that about Carrie!!

•  
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345