• 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 3 Post By Gator
  • 1 Post By jonas_underwood_fan
  • 2 Post By sosmallgirl

Thread: Favorite Carrie Tour: Blown Away vs. Play On

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Favorite Carrie Tour: Blown Away vs. Play On

Both tours played to over one million fans, and both seem to get unanimous love among the fans.

Which tour was your favorite, and why?

You can consider vocals, set, songs, etc.
    Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 06-03-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Carrie Guru
    Easy.... BA tour.

Apart from the duet with Ashley on the PO tour being better than the duet with Hunter, (only because it was great to see Ashely and Carrie together. I got one of my favorite gifs from that.) everything else for me sways in favor of the BA tour.

Twister video, the house landing and entrance through the house was way more dramatic than the flashing Play On sign entrance on the sofa.

Moving screens were more interesting than the huge static screens on the play on tour even though the huge static screens had some awesome projections.

Moving stage with band members >>>>>>>>> Carrie on the blue truck even if it did say that she loves #12. lol.

I loved the shadow screen sequence with Carrie and Ace/Penny on the BA tour.

One Way ticket with the beach balls and confetti is soooooooo much fun and I can't think of anything that had that type of reaction on the PO tour.

Tornado effect and the screen images on the BA tour beat everything on the PO tour (except of course, the live fireworks at the end of the Hollywood Bowl show : ))

Song selection and flow was stronger on the BA tour.

I loved that Carrie added so many Canadian tour stops close to where I live so that I could attend a few of them without having to travel far. I had to travel further for the PO tour.

Carrie's talk on the moving stage on the BA tour = Carrie's talk on the moving stage on the PO tour. She seriously needs to find something new and interesting to talk about. lol.

Carrie's vocals were fantastic on both tours of course, however IKYW followed by BA to end the show...... well PO can't even come close to matching that, especially as the last song was SLT. lol.
    Gator and Burst like this.

Well, I think The Blown Away tour was better but not for much!

The Play On tour stuff was amazing! Just a Dream in the swing was AMAZING!, How Great Thou Art every night, the led dress for Change, all the "rings" of the stage in Wasted and JTTW, I love the fireworks in the screens during Before He Cheats and the final in Songs Like This was awesome too!

The intro and the end, the lights, ths flying stage, the screen images, were all better in the BA tour.
    The highlights : One Way Ticket and Blown Away!!! #epic

For me is:

Play On tour: 45%
    Blown Away tour: 55%
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Just adding to Opry, the choice of up and coming Hunter & Kira vs "established" Billy/Craig made BA better, but I enjoyed PO's "cover" song a lot more than BA.
    I've never seen Carrie in the same city twice (lol), so I can't truly compare both, but I did like PO's more "concert" feel sometimes, especially when Carrie would break out the guitar or piano.
    As for locations, I still had to travel to see the show (unlike during CR), so there was no real advantage there, although I do know lots of other cities were able to see Carrie for the first time.

I actually preferred the PO Tour. The set was absolutely incredible, I loved the platform that would rise and fall and sometimes be a staircase, especially during Cowboy Casanova, I Know You Won't, JTTW/HGTA and Wasted. I think the stage setup for the PO Tour also allowed Carrie to move around to the sides of the stage a bit more, which is especially noticeable if you have side seats. The swing during JAD was amazing, and I adored all of the visuals on the backdrops behind her, and the way those screens were set up almost gave it a vintage theatre feeling. The JTTW/HGTA moment was pure magic (and I am forever upset that she cut that from both of my shows because she was sick, along with So Small aka my fave Carrie song. And then she cut it completely from this tour, so I've still yet to hear SS in person). I think the ITYS duet with Randy Travis with the Opry set was much more effective than the RM duet with Brad on the BA Tour - I wish she'd had an actual hologram Brad like he had hologram Carrie for his shows, because I think that would've been more effective. The PO Tour was also the first time I ever saw Carrie in person, and I literally teared up when she first came on stage because I couldn't believe she was actually real. lol. I also had better seats for the PO tour (6th row for both, one in the centre and one on the side). Then again, I did get to meet Carrie (twice) during the BA Tour, so that probably makes up for it. haha

I loved all the little moments in songs that totally stood out to me, like the way she did the outro for Wasted and the awesome outro for Last Name. I also loved seeing her up there with a few instruments, like the acoustic guitar for AAG, electric for SH, and piano for MS. I think I also preferred a lot of the costumes for the PO Tour.

There were lots of moments I loved during the BA Tour as well, such as the flying stage, the beach balls during OWT, Sweet Emotion during the first leg, the video and music interludes between acts, and the consistent theme of BA throughout the whole show (although I remember being very confused at the encore during my first show - I'd been almost completely unspoiled, so I was super confused when they did the awesome BA instrumental with the video, and then went into.... IKYW. It makes sense to me now, but it seemed awkward the first time I saw it.) The party moment with the beach balls, flying stage and OWT was probably my favourite moment of the BA Tour. She also seemed to be more comfortable on stage - it's great seeing her grow and evolve as a performer. The more she does it, the more comfortable and commanding she becomes on stage. I also loved the moments when the band got to shine, like in CGAS. As great as the moving screens were on the BA Tour, you also kind of had to be in the right seats to really see it all and appreciate it. They really worked for me when I had floor seats, but at my two other shows I was level 100 on the sides, and it was kind of hard to see the screens so they lost a lot of their effectiveness that way. Both tours, though, were absolutely fantastic and probably the best concerts I've ever seen in person.

A couple things I'm wishing for on future tours - I'd love to see Carrie slow things down with a more acoustic set where she plays guitar and talks to the audience a bit, like she used to do on the CR Tour. I'd like to see her interact with the crowd a bit more in a more personal way, rather than a rehearsed way (she used the "this is the best seat in the house, I can see all your faces!" line for both the flying truck and the flying stage at every show, lol). I never saw the CR Tour in person, but I loved that she'd tell stories and stuff during her acoustic set, and that kind of gave each show a unique feel. I'd also love to see a catwalk again someday, if they can figure out a way to do it where Carrie still feels safe. I wouldn't mind seeing her become a bit more flexible with her set list also, although I understand why she couldn't be especially on the BA Tour, with the backdrops and musical interludes, etc.
    Last edited by epicamends; 06-03-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    allamericangirl8 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Overall the BA tour was better for me.

Opening goes to the Play On Tour. I will never forget being completely awe-struck by the falling cylinder flashing "Play On. The BA tour opening just didnt give me chills in the same way.

Wardrobe, BA tour, no questions asked. I hated the PO tour wardrobe tbh.

Setlist, BA tour, again, hands down. Didn't sing PO on the PO Tour? And SLT was kindda a random song to end it with.

In terms of video screens, I feel like both tours were equally good. Both had their strong points and weak points, but I love how they weren't just a plain old video screen. They were uniquely designed and utilized to their full potential.

Vocally, lol, obviously top notch both times.

Overall I just really liked the BA tour better, though both tours were out of this world (Ive seen three shows of each). I agree with Jess in that the only thing they were really lacking was the acoustic set from the CR tour and the spontaneity of her stories, I always loved that. The only real "flaw" i've seen in the tours (it's not even a flaw really, I just can't think of a more suitable word) is that they seem to be on a strict timer. like, there's no leeway for speaking to the audience freely, I hope we get to see that in future tours
    epicamends likes this.

Concert Stars
    Yeah, you already know this, Karly, but I preferred the PO tour. I would say why, but it looks like Jess covered every possible base for me. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Yeah, you already know this, Karly, but I preferred the PO tour. I would say why, but it looks like Jess covered every possible base for me. ; )
    And I edited that post like 5 times because I kept thinking of new things to add.
    allamericangirl8 likes this.

Concert Stars
    PO had a better Carrie intro (spinning ring)

The rising and lowering ring platforms in PO were really cool and dynamic and added to songs like Wasted and HGTA

BA had a better closing/encore

PO had better song covers, while they lasted (Take Me Home, Country Roads, Summer of 69)

BA's outfits > PO's

BA's flying stage > PO's truck

Background screen visuals during songs were pretty equal for me, but BA had better interlude videos including the clips with footage from the BA video

One Way Ticket + beach balls + confetti >>>>

I think her vocals were a little better on the PO tour, or at least her setlist had bigger songs that showed off her voice more and she was more daring and experimental, vocally. For example she did the runs at the end of Wasted, she hit higher notes than in studio for Last Name, she sung the JTTW/HGTA combo, etc.

Overall I liked the BA tour more since I never really liked the PO era because of what I felt like poor/weak single choices. I liked more non-singles, What Can I Say, Songs Like This, Quitter, Unapologize, more than I liked most of the album's actual singles, Mama's Song, Temporary Home, Undo It. Also, while I was sad that JAD and SS got cut from the BA setlist, it was probably for the best in helping the songs flow better and keeping things upbeat.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    BA tour > PO tour just because we didn't have to listen to MS every night.

Other then that the tours were pretty even.
    I did like IKYW better on the steps right there with the crowd then with Carrie on a bed 200 miles from the crowd.
    The beginning of the PO was great but the whole storm theme that carried throughout the BA Tour was amazing and the ending with BA & the tornado far greater then SLT.

Outfit wise BA wins too except for the opening tux of the PO tour.Carrie just looked flat out hot in that tux.

Flying stages - BA wins.
    Cool actual stage PO wins, loved the steps.And the stage wasn't as high.Less neck craning.

Moments - PO had HGTA every night and every night it was a show stopper.And the flow of the show allowed the crowd to show their appreciation.The ridgeness of the BA Tour never allowed for a 5 minute ovation like PO Tour did after HGTA ( one of my favorite moments that occurred at the Nashville show) , always had a video starting for the next song.

I'll edit as more stuff comes to mind.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    considering I couldn't go to the PO tour, i have to say BA tour LOL Just loved everything about this tour and her outfits and the floating stage was pretty awesome. I just loved it.

Huge Carrie Follower CountrymusicCarrieIsAmazing's Avatar
    Why not making a voting poll?

I would vote for Blown Away

Concert Stars
    I did not get to see the Blwon away tour so I went and looking at the openning segment on youtube.
    Wow, so cool the way she came out the front door. Liked that alot.

And I must say, I loved the IKYW/BA portion to. I did not ever see those images of the interior of the house breaking up. Very cool. That was actually much more effective and better to me than seeing that smoke machine trying to create the image of a tornado. Not.

And my experience with PO was at the Hollywood Bowl so I know it was altered for that venue. But I did see some of the cool images in the background very cool.

I looks to me based on what I have seen, that BA was a more "complete" experience. The theme was wooven in and used appropriately throughout, with alot of light moments throughout to make the whole thing feel like a total experience.

Amazing!! either way.

Concert Stars
    For me, Blown Away, hands down! Blown Away was EPIC in every way. Carrie's vocals were amazing. The visuals, the video screens, lighting, moving staging, flying stage, all part of an awesome, story-telling experience.

Junior Carrie Follower jonas_underwood_fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I liked the Play On Tour better... Better set list, better outfits, better stage and I loved that Carrie played the guitar & piano.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CountrymusicCarrieIsAmazing View Post
    Why not making a voting poll?

I would vote for Blown Away
    Unless I'm just not seeing it, I don't see an option to add a poll.

I like reading everyone's opinions on this; I personally prefer the PO tour.

There were so many cool touches, like the swing and the flying truck. To me, the PO tour was put together so incredibly well, and it felt more cohesive to me.

Better setlist and costumes, plus Carrie also got to play the guitar and piano.

The PO tour had "So Small" and "Just A Dream," too, both of which I would've killed to hear on this tour. This setlist just seems a little bit random and I would've rather have seen some other songs brought back (Crazy Dreams & TGFH over SS and JAD, for example).

I might change my mind once the concert DVD is released, since I didn't get a chance to see the BA tour in person, but based on what I've seen I'm going with the PO tour, by a lot.

Junior Carrie Follower sosmallgirl's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I preferred the Play On Tour. I loved all the sets, including the swing, the truck, and the rising stage. I appreciated how the truck went all around the arena, so more of us got to be closer to Carrie, as opposed to the flying stage in the BA tour which only went to one side of the arena, and not even all the way to the back. I also enjoyed more of the songs on the PO tour, which included great favorites like SH, SS, and HGTA. I definitely enjoyed the duet with SOS over Hunter. And they also had the fan choice for the first leg of the tour, which was always awesome. The BA setlist was sorely lacking, as I much would've preferred hearing WAW or GIG over TGFH. And I even prefered the costumes for PO. I liked how Carrie's dresses were removable, featuring another outfit underneath, and the jokes that would sometimes come from that. Now I did love BA's tornado, the beachballs during OWT, and the entrance, but overall, PO tour had many more highlights for me.

•