Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree295Likes

Thread: Billboard Awards Nominations Announced 2013

Junior Carrie Follower
    the fact that RED and WANEGT are nominatdd for country is a slap in the face for the genre -__- even worse if she wins, tbh iwont be surprised if te country singers or fans of it(Demi loves country hates taylor js) make a nasty face at the mention of her name.... in other words that means a no performanc eof SYA ( it would have been the boost it needed
    teesharky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelanob View Post
    I was thinking this. If it is based solely on hard data, then there is no point to having awards with nominees. Just give the people who did the best a plaque or something. What they should do is have a night to honor the "nominees", the people who sold the best.
    Kind of like the way the CMT Artists of the Year show is handled, but all-genre. I like that much better. It's pretty anticlimactic when you already know who's going to win everything.

Concert Stars
    ^ Demi Lovato hates Taylor? Cool. Running to go download her new single in 3..2..1... go.

Junior Carrie Follower
    lol she indirectly slams her ALL THE TIME!! I am kind of a lovatic now shes really cool
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    I know - why have nominees when the person who sells the most wins - they should just have the winners perform
    teesharky likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow. So much negativity in this thread. Hardly anyone has bothered to be thankful of Carrie's two nominations. Congrats Carrie!

Here is how Billboard determines their nominees and winners: result of the highest votes received, the Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on United States year-end chart performance according to Nielsen data for sales, number of downloads and total airplay.

So, for those of you complaining that Taylor's airplay at other formats shouldn't be factored in for her country nominations, apparently BB doesn't care which format the airplay comes from. They just use total airplay overall. The issue isn't with BB ultimately. It is with Taylor's label as they are the ones that continue to label her as a country artist.

As for the person who made the comment about Woman of the Year going to Taylor a few years ago instead of Adele, Adele may have the album sales going for her, but she doesn't have the airplay and overall sales numbers to beat Taylor. I also believe they have slightly different criteria for that award than their regular set of awards.

Some of you may not like it, but you can't deny that Taylor has the numbers to win these awards if that is what they are based on.

Concert Stars
    Ugh sorry but we have a right to complain when total airplay counts as that is how Taylor's pop song got Country song of the year. Unbelievable! WANEGBT tanked on country radio at number 13-- abd VA spent two weeks at number one. Yet guess who is nominated!??? Taylor's #13 pop song over a two week number one country song.

sorry- but I will never agree with counting pop airplay in ranking top country songs. Total crap and makes it impossible for actual country songs to ever compete without pop airplay.

so yes- we have every right to complain and not be ridiculed for it.

Concert Stars
    ^ the year Taylor got woman of the year over Adele- was total bs as Adele crushed Taylor in overall airplay, sales and digital sales too. Taylor did not have much pop airplay success from Speak Now and Adeke was slaying pop radio. So Taylor did not deserve it over Adele. Billboard just worships Taylor and creates awards and bs chart rules for her. Sick and twisted.

An argument can be made that Taylor earned Woman of the Year this year due to her sales and pop success- but not last year. Adele was robbed.
    Zman312 and bearball49 like this.

Oh. Demi Lovato hating Taylor Swift?

I'm stanning.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Wow. So much negativity in this thread. Hardly anyone has bothered to be thankful of Carrie's two nominations. Congrats Carrie!

Here is how Billboard determines their nominees and winners: result of the highest votes received, the Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on United States year-end chart performance according to Nielsen data for sales, number of downloads and total airplay.

So, for those of you complaining that Taylor's airplay at other formats shouldn't be factored in for her country nominations, apparently BB doesn't care which format the airplay comes from. They just use total airplay overall. The issue isn't with BB ultimately. It is with Taylor's label as they are the ones that continue to label her as a country artist.

As for the person who made the comment about Woman of the Year going to Taylor a few years ago instead of Adele, Adele may have the album sales going for her, but she doesn't have the airplay and overall sales numbers to beat Taylor. I also believe they have slightly different criteria for that award than their regular set of awards.

Some of you may not like it, but you can't deny that Taylor has the numbers to win these awards if that is what they are based on.
    1.) I agree that we shouldn't be complaining as BB doesn't care and it's there awards. However, I am disappointed ith BB because they used to be the standards for the music industrty. Everyone follows the BB charts as it was believed to be accurate and it showed what's popular. However, the chart changes diminishes that. The 100 ranked ALL genre together and showed what was popular all across the board. Therefore, there is no need to have a HCS, which is just the repeat of HCS. BB is to blame for allowing artist such as Taylor and her label to take advantage of this new rule. BM would still do what they are doing to get more sales as they are trying to cash in as much as they can but BB is m aking it easier for them. Country REJECTED WWNEGBT but BB made it a COUNTRY MULTI-WEEK #1!

2.) If I am not mistake, Taylor won BBWOTY last year! Last Year Adele had her beat in ever aspect. SINGLE SALES , RADIO AIRPLAY, and ALBUMS!!!!So I don't see how Taylor won it over Adele. Adele won the Triple Crown for #1 song, #1 album and being the artist of the year! I am wrong, then I apologize!

Since this is based on actually sales and Taylor is labeled COUNTRY, then she 200% deserves and SHOULD/WILL win because her numbers speak for itself.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    She does not deserve to win country awards when she is NOT a country artist- and even Scott B. admitted Red is pop. So how can people say she deserves country awards for a pop album? Bs.

Give her the pop awards and all genre awards for her sales- fine. But don't disrespect country music by pretending taylors pop songs and album deserve country awards. Total bs.
    rainbow1 and Marie2011 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    I already see the negative comments....I better stay outta this thread.

Ultimate Carrie Fan

The issue is with BB. Yes, the label could have categorized the genre of their product correctly (i.e. Red is pop). But Billboard chose to create the rules for their charts. Billboard chose to not have the requirement that a song needs to be released to the specific genre in order to qualify for that specific genre's chart. This made a huge chaos of the remixes. Billboard chose the genre that they think a song is for (i.e. Gangnam Style in the rap genre). Billboard chose to have these genre specific charts... and even to replace a chart that has a rich long history. It seemed that Billboard did all this in a vacuum, outside of much of the music industry. And with their ever changing formula for these newly created charts, they have loss (a lot of) credibility. I kinda sense that country radio is now acknowledging the Mediabase country chart more than before.
    teesharky, rainbow1 and epicamends like this.

Concert Stars

Ha ha ha, you kind of brought to light everything we alreayd know and the whole reason we are complaining......
    Its alright. ITs not the end of the world.
    But we do certainly have a right to be annoyed by the state of things.
    But we all know it is what it is. We are just lamenting the reality of it.

But just so we are all on the same page:

Suppose Carrie tried her hand at Classical singing. And suppose she worked very hard on it and actually nailed the style well enough to be considered for awards for it.

Would it be fair for her to win Country Music Awards for her classical album?

The answer is most definately NO! I really don't see how anyone could argue that.

This is what Taylor is doing. But worse she is doing it "in order" to get the acknowledgement at both genres.
    So it is troubling and disappointing to people who love country music that she is being allowed to make a Pop Album that she and her Label call a Pop album but still catagorize it as country so as to take away from both genres.

If Carrie made that Classical Album, and started to recieve recognition for that, how do you think she would feel if her label then turned around and tried to call it a country album also thereby taking away all the country awards from legitimate country efforts just because she could?
    And how would that make the classical community feel while she was taking all theirs to??

ITs not fair.

We have a right to lament.

OF course we are happy that Carrie is on the list. But it is not much of an accheivement. She sold well and got played well and she made the list! That has nothing to do with the person who is going to obviously take the awards away from her for the pop music that was made and sold over at the pop format.

Do you understand the problem?
    Taylor sold the most product, let her have that award!
    But if you are going to catagorize everyone else, than you must catagorize her. And there is no point in catagorizing anyone if it does not matter that they had no success in the area they are catagorized in.

This is rediculous........

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    She does not deserve to win country awards when she is NOT a country artist- and even Scott B. admitted Red is pop. So how can people say she deserves country awards for a pop album? Bs.

Give her the pop awards and all genre awards for her sales- fine. But don't disrespect country music by pretending taylors pop songs and album deserve country awards. Total bs.
    If a country awards show can nominate her for Country album and video for a song that's not country then why not BB. If the country voters, artist are still claiming her then she deserves to be nominated. Once again, I blame the country voters. They are claiming her for her numbers so why not use them as well.

I agree that it's frustrating bc she is taking away from legitimate country artist with her pop success. My only problem is that she released to pop first and then to country and she is suppose to be country artist first...lol

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    If a country awards show can nominate her for Country album and video for a song that's not country then why not BB. If the country voters, artist are still claiming her then she deserves to be nominated. Once again, I blame the country voters. They are claiming her for her numbers so why not use them as well.

I agree that it's frustrating bc she is taking away from legitimate country artist with her pop success. My only problem is that she released to pop first and then to country and she is suppose to be country artist first...lol
    Those are great points. And truer words were never spoken.

IF the country industry was not still using her to gain attention to thier format than she would almost assuredly already be gone from country and over at the Pop Format exclusively.

But as long as the country industry continues to embrace her why shouldn't the rest of the music world still call her country.

(shaking head)

Concert Stars
    Billboard could classify Taylor correctly- as pop- but the refuse to do so as then Taylor would lose some awards to bigger pop stars like Rihanna etc. it is almost like they force her to fit into a box- country- so they can ensure her more awards as no country star can compete with her pop airplay.

So I blame both Billboard and Taylor/Big Machine. They are clearly trying to have their cake and eat it too. They are greedy and have no integrity. They would do anything for TS to win more awards and create the false illusion that country music fans/voters love her. That is a big fat lie. We just can't get rid of her. She is like a leech sucking the blood and heart out of country music for her own gain.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Just another crap, meaningless award show. I think Carrie said it best when she commented to the affect that no one will remember who won what award in what year. She is trying to make a name for herself for years to come because people will remember she orked ard for country music and tried o ake music tht would bring more people to the genre. I think she will be remembered for the veauty of her voice and the quality way she chooses to live her life. Really do not care about the awards based on propaganda and money making scemes.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    That is true.
    And she will get the noteriety for being nominated (even though it is not actually a nomination at all.

That that is really important. Just the acknowledgement.
    She has won this, so it will not add to her celebrity in any way.
    But being acknowledged will at least keep her name in peoples minds.

I can se her making it. I hope she can just for the opportunity to sing to a general audience.
    But I can also see her skipping it. She has done it plenty of times and it will not accomplish a whole lot.

Also, No Carrie, No Me!!! Yahoo! (I won't have to care about tuning in. As I really do hate these type of shows. They are beyond tacky and arrogant)

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    1.) I agree that we shouldn't be complaining as BB doesn't care and it's there awards. However, I am disappointed ith BB because they used to be the standards for the music industrty. Everyone follows the BB charts as it was believed to be accurate and it showed what's popular. However, the chart changes diminishes that. The 100 ranked ALL genre together and showed what was popular all across the board. Therefore, there is no need to have a HCS, which is just the repeat of HCS. BB is to blame for allowing artist such as Taylor and her label to take advantage of this new rule. BM would still do what they are doing to get more sales as they are trying to cash in as much as they can but BB is m aking it easier for them. Country REJECTED WWNEGBT but BB made it a COUNTRY MULTI-WEEK #1!

2.)If I am not mistake, Taylor won BBWOTY last year! Last Year Adele had her beat in ever aspect. SINGLE SALES , RADIO AIRPLAY, and ALBUMS!!!!So I don't see how Taylor won it over Adele. Adele won the Triple Crown for #1 song, #1 album and being the artist of the year! I am wrong, then I apologize!

Since this is based on actually sales and Taylor is labeled COUNTRY, then she 200% deserves and SHOULD/WILL win because her numbers speak for itself.
    She won for her year in 2011. Katy Perry is the winner for 2012. Perhaps you all should be complaining about Katy, too .

On a general note, I wasn't telling anyone they didn't have the right to complain nor was I ridiculing anyone. Just because someone dares to make note of the negativity doesn't mean they are telling you not to have an opinion. I was just commenting on the overwhelming negativity in this thread. Although, I should know better than to speak against the majority around here. That being said, have at it, folks! Vent and complain all you want .

•  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast