Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Is Carrie getting vocal training to prepare for her role in TSOM?

Insane Carrie Fan

Thumbs up Is Carrie getting vocal training to prepare for her role in TSOM?

I haven't heard anything about this, but I hope that she is! That is part of the reason why I'm so excited about her taking on this role, because it pretty much necessitates vocal training as a mandatory course of action! I can't wait to see (or rather, hear) all of the new and exciting places that she's able to take her voice after this experience. I'm assuming that it's some form of classical training that they're going to give her, just like Kelly Clarkson took in her H.S. years and has just recently taken up again. It really does make such a huge difference not only in the range that it allows your voice to cover, but also in how much more flexible and agile your vocal cords become. I can't possibly wait...Carrie is already a vocal beast to begin with, but imagine her with CLASSICAL vocal training? She's going to be like the Incredible Hulk of vocals ha.

Junior Carrie Follower desubear's Avatar
    i hope so! does she have a vocal coach outside of musical just for everything else?

^ I'm more concerned with her acting. While it's not bad for smaller roles, this big project is much more demanding.

I'm sure she'll be focusing on SOM more as it nears the summer months. I haven't heard anything specific yet.

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^I don't believe that she works with a steady vocal coach based on what she's said before about how she feels about vocal training. There's also the fact that she admittedly doesn't do any sort of vocal warmups before performing live. She relies almost solely on raw, natural, unpolished vocal ability. It's obvious, too.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    ^ I'm more concerned with her acting. While it's not bad for smaller roles, this big project is much more demanding.

I'm sure she'll be focusing on SOM more as it nears the summer months. I haven't heard anything specific yet.
    I agree, it's her acting coach who better be good. lol.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I should think proper vocal lessons are mandatory. Sound Of The Music is a musical after all so the singing in particular will be the primary focus.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    I haven't heard anything about this, but I hope that she is! That is part of the reason why I'm so excited about her taking on this role, because it pretty much necessitates vocal training as a mandatory course of action! I can't wait to see (or rather, hear) all of the new and exciting places that she's able to take her voice after this experience. I'm assuming that it's some form of classical training that they're going to give her, just like Kelly Clarkson took in her H.S. years and has just recently taken up again. It really does make such a huge difference not only in the range that it allows your voice to cover, but also in how much more flexible and agile your vocal cords become. I can't possibly wait...Carrie is already a vocal beast to begin with, but imagine her with CLASSICAL vocal training? She's going to be like the Incredible Hulk of vocals ha.
    agree. She needs to work with a Classical Broadway vocalist for the role. She did really well on Movies Rock with no training-- so imagine how much better she can do with proper training? Wow.

Concert Stars
    ^I don't believe that she works with a steady vocal coach based on what she's said before about how she feels about vocal training. There's also the fact that she admittedly doesn't do any sort of vocal warmups before performing live. She relies almost solely on raw, natural, unpolished vocal ability. It's obvious, too.
    True but for this event, I believe she will make an exception to her rule of no training. She did say in a recent interview that she is taking this VERY seriously, and that she will be dedicating the whole rest of the year to it once her tour is over in late May. So hopefully they have a vocal coach all set up. And an acting coach.

She also needs a coach to help her articulate her lines the way Julie Andrews did perhaps, as she can't show any country twang at all in her talking voice. Her singing voice has no twang in it that I can hear, but occasionally her speaking voice has a slight trace of it. So she needs to get rid of that for the role-- as there were no country folks with Southern accents in Austria. ha ha

Junior Carrie Follower phyllis_0227's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    True but for this event, I believe she will make an exception to her rule of no training. She did say in a recent interview that she is taking this VERY seriously, and that she will be dedicating the whole rest of the year to it once her tour is over in late May. So hopefully they have a vocal coach all set up. And an acting coach.

She also needs a coach to help her articulate her lines the way Julie Andrews did perhaps, as she can't show any country twang at all in her talking voice. Her singing voice has no twang in it that I can hear, but occasionally her speaking voice has a slight trace of it. So she needs to get rid of that for the role-- as there were no country folks with Southern accents in Austria. ha ha
    You know Julie Andrews gave the approval stamp on Carrie as Marie and said she wanted to meet her. Wonder wonder if that just might happen and she helps Carrie out with the interpretations since she has done it... hmmmmm

I sure hope so!

Concert Stars
    I trust Carrie.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by phyllis_0227 View Post
    You know Julie Andrews gave the approval stamp on Carrie as Marie and said she wanted to meet her. Wonder wonder if that just might happen and she helps Carrie out with the interpretations since she has done it... hmmmmm
    That would be AMAZING! Even if they met for lunch-- that little meeting would help Carrie!

Junior Carrie Follower phyllis_0227's Avatar
    Has anyone heard of the other cast members. I wanted Gerald Butler... He was wonderful as The Phantom of the Opera and has a voice that kills

Ty
    The only way I can see that happening is if the producers recommend that she do so.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned with Carrie being able to sing this role well (although it would be cool to see how she could use her voice differently if she took vocal training). It's more the acting that I think she'll need to focus on. I think that aspect will also strongly rely on having other great actors to work with, which is why I'm so curious as to who has been chosen (or is in the running, if not chosen already) for some of the other major roles.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I completely disagree with the sentiment that the acting is more important than the singing and that Carrie should dedicate more time to perfecting that aspect of the performance. The style and technique of singing on TSOM soundtrack is completely, utterly, and VASTLY different from anything that Carrie is accustomed to. A very specific vocal skill set that cannot possibly be attained without the proper training is required for the role. So, the singing is just as important, if not more important than the acting imo. For those of you who have said otherwise, I understand that your running logic is that singing is what Carrie is used to and thus it doesn't require as much rigorous work and preparation on her part -- but what you have to understand is that the type of vocal stylings on TSOM soundtrack is just as foreign to Carrie as acting is, if not more.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I HOPE that Carrie doesn't have that same mindset about it....=/

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Carrie is already pretty good at playing a role. I've noticed that her country drawl is more likely to occur when she's performing at the Opry, or when she's singing some real classic country tunes, or decidedly country songs. The drawl for the most part disappears when she is conversing or participating in something totally not 'country'. She will have to be more conscious of that in her SOM role.
    My concern is not with Carrie as I know she is a professional with a work ethic that demands nothing short of excellence. My concern is with the viewers. Those viewers who do not/cannot/or will not, see and/or hear Carrie as anything other than their preconceived notion of Carrie Underwood. Carrie's got herself a role that has her playing against type. She has to look and sound the part. Such a role is coveted by actors. A role that, if successful, has the potential to elevate the actor to the highest level in their craft (think, Hilary Swank in 'Boys Don't Cry' or Charlize Theron in 'Monster'. So yes, Carrie has to be exceptional in this role. The challenges this role presents are varied.
    I'm as a high as a kite with excitement for Carrie and given the challenges my anxiety soars even higher. The only thing that gives me some relief is the fact that I don't think Carrie or her team would have agreed to this project if she was not up for the challenge.

I completely disagree with the sentiment that the acting is more important than the singing and that Carrie should dedicate more time to perfecting that aspect of the performance. The style and technique of singing on TSOM soundtrack is completely, utterly, and VASTLY different from anything that Carrie is accustomed to. A very specific vocal skill set that cannot possibly be attained without the proper training is required for the role. So, the singing is just as important, if not more important than the acting imo. For those of you who have said otherwise, I understand that your running logic is that singing is what Carrie is used to and thus it doesn't require as much rigorous work and preparation on her part -- but what you have to understand is that the type of vocal stylings on TSOM soundtrack is just as foreign to Carrie as acting is, if not more.
    I'm not saying that acting is more important than the singing. I just think Carrie has more work to do with regards to the acting, since she has much less experience with it. I think the acting and singing are equally important, but I'm not too concerned with Carrie being able to handle the singing.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I trust Carrie's judgement, but I would like to see her receive some vocal training. Singing songs from musicals is probably a little bit different from what Carrie is used to singing. The vocal style required for Opera/musical style vocals is different from country, and I would think Carrie would receive a little bit of training on how to become a little more comfortable with the style of singing she's required to do for the role.

Just because a singer may technically have the talent to sing different genres well (which Carrie obviously does), doesn't necessarily mean she would be comfortable singing an entire show worth of material without the proper tools/training to do so. Carrie is a perfectionist; if she's dedicated 6 months to preparing for the role, I'm assuming she's planning on perfecting both her singing and acting.

Carrie is already an amazing vocalist, but I would like to see her receive some proper training, so she could become even better than she already is. It could take her to new heights as a vocalist, and doing so could also help her improve her technique and help her learn how to preserve her voice for the future. Carrie seems to be quite careful about not overdoing it when it comes to vocal acrobatics, but even the most seasoned veterans can learn from an experience like that. You never know what could happen when you open up your mind to new ideas, and I think Carrie has already taken a huge step by taking on this role.

•  
    Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast