Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Is Carrie getting vocal training to prepare for her role in TSOM?

Concert Stars
    I'm sure the producers will see that she gets whatever help she needs. It's their reputation on the line as well. They want to make sure this production is historical. They won't take any chances. I have feeling she's going to go through a Broadway bootcamp this Summer in preparation. Knowing her work ethic, by the time of production she will be a master of it.

Concert Stars
    I really think she should. Carrie's already a great vocalist, but it seems like those who know more about singing and vocal techniques agree that Carrie's "form" isn't perfect and that if she had some training she could be even better. I think training would be helpful for not only this role, but her "regular" singing voice as well. I would hate to for Carrie to lose her voice (like Mariah) or not be able to sing her big songs anymore because of bad technique in her earlier years.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    I really think she should. Carrie's already a great vocalist, but it seems like those who know more about singing and vocal techniques agree that Carrie's "form" isn't perfect and that if she had some training she could be even better. I think training would be helpful for not only this role, but her "regular" singing voice as well. I would hate to for Carrie to lose her voice (like Mariah) or not be able to sing her big songs anymore because of bad technique in her earlier years.
    Mariah had damn near PERFECT technique...after all, she was trained by her mother, a professional opera singer.

I think the fact that Mariah Carey had more or less lost her voice is the living proof of that she doesn't have "near perfect" techniques. Unless "real" singing techniques aim to harm your voice. Celine Dion still has a voice as good as she had when she first rose to flame, and she started releasing albums when she was 9 or something - she even started before Madonna did, so she had a good decade more than Carey. And, Dion toured much more extensively than Carey, and with the Vegas residency, she had to perform even more shows.

Vocal lessons sure will help Carrie. Madonna after the training for "Evita" suddenly sounded like someone who can sing. But I think every time someone records an album there's a couch inside the studio to teach about the styles of singing the song - I read that from the article on the making of Rihanna's "Man Down". So everybody has some sort of training.

As for the accent, I believe every star had been given lessons on that. There was an Amy Winehouse interview I watched when she was "complimented" by the interviewer by sounding "common" as opposed to "smart" or anything in between (i.e. Working class instead of upper class or anything in between - A lot of artists remained the working class "cockney" accent like Lily Allen, ADELE & Kylie Minogue, but all polished. If you listen to someone like Emma Watson, you'd spot an even bigger different - Hers was more middle-class educated accent.), and that it was "fresh" because every star gone through classes to polish their accents. Winehouse said she actually went to them as well but she just couldn't learn it well (It was during her "Frank" era, before she was known in the US or the rest of the world outside of her homeland). So I definitely think Carrie had received lessons on that as well, especially when she comes from the south, which is known to be a place with strong accents.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    I think the fact that Mariah Carey had more or less lost her voice is the living proof of that she doesn't have "near perfect" techniques. Unless "real" singing techniques aim to harm your voice.
    Aside from her excessive overuse of the "whistle register," Mariah DID have near perfect technique in her heyday, from top to bottom. She wouldn't have been able to access as broad of a range as she did if her technique wasn't on point, nor the sustenance to execute the lowest and highest ends with equal aplomb and precision. Trust me, I've been studying vocal pedagogy for well near a decade now, and when I tell you that Mariah's technical mechanics were formidable, it's pretty much an undisputed fact. It was the constant use of "whistle register" that eventually took an inevitable toll on her voice.

I love Carrie voice in this performance! she was a little nervous but she sounds AMAZING!

Carrie Underwood & Patrick Wilson, "Suddenly Seymour"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__foUaJu2w

Carrie have the strongest voice I ever heard! she will be amazing in this role!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gran29 View Post
    I'm sure the producers will see that she gets whatever help she needs. It's their reputation on the line as well. They want to make sure this production is historical. They won't take any chances. I have feeling she's going to go through a Broadway bootcamp this Summer in preparation. Knowing her work ethic, by the time of production she will be a master of it.

agree. Carrie has 2 of the best producers out there for musicals ever- and they have won tons of awards. They won't let her slack off even if she wanted to. haha

Carrie herself said she is taking this very very seriously and will be dedicating most the year to it after her tour. So I take that to mean vocal training, dance training (for the Austrian folk dances) and acting coaching.

She is going to come out of this a Broadway STAR. Trust me.

Junior Carrie Follower desubear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    I love Carrie voice in this performance! she was a little nervous but she sounds AMAZING!

Carrie Underwood & Patrick Wilson, "Suddenly Seymour"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__foUaJu2w
    beautiful !!!

Concert Stars
    Agree. I feel like she is already exceptional, so with a bit of classical vocal training-- who knows how far she could go? I think it will do her wonders for other roles in the future too, to use an acting and classical vocal coach. If she pulls this off the way I think she will-- I bet other doors and other roles will open up for her. Just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I trust Carrie's judgement, but I would like to see her receive some vocal training. Singing songs from musicals is probably a little bit different from what Carrie is used to singing. The vocal style required for Opera/musical style vocals is different from country, and I would think Carrie would receive a little bit of training on how to become a little more comfortable with the style of singing she's required to do for the role.

Just because a singer may technically have the talent to sing different genres well (which Carrie obviously does), doesn't necessarily mean she would be comfortable singing an entire show worth of material without the proper tools/training to do so. Carrie is a perfectionist; if she's dedicated 6 months to preparing for the role, I'm assuming she's planning on perfecting both her singing and acting.

Carrie is already an amazing vocalist, but I would like to see her receive some proper training, so she could become even better than she already is. It could take her to new heights as a vocalist, and doing so could also help her improve her technique and help her learn how to preserve her voice for the future. Carrie seems to be quite careful about not overdoing it when it comes to vocal acrobatics, but even the most seasoned veterans can learn from an experience like that. You never know what could happen when you open up your mind to new ideas, and I think Carrie has already taken a huge step by taking on this role.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Aside from her excessive overuse of the "whistle register," Mariah DID have near perfect technique in her heyday, from top to bottom. She wouldn't have been able to access as broad of a range as she did if her technique wasn't on point, nor the sustenance to execute the lowest and highest ends with equal aplomb and precision. Trust me, I've been studying vocal pedagogy for well near a decade now, and when I tell you that Mariah's technical mechanics were formidable, it's pretty much an undisputed fact. It was the constant use of "whistle register" that eventually took an inevitable toll on her voice.

Melissa, who among the country female artists have good vocal technique? Thanks!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Melissa, who among the country female artists have good vocal technique? Thanks!
    Carrie Underwood. Martina perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Carrie Underwood. Martina perhaps.
    Does Carrie really have good vocal technique? She's obviously got pipes like we haven't seen in ages, but is her technique actually good? Idk.

On that note, how would the educated over here rate Swift's technique? She obviously has very little natural talent, but is she singing "correctly"?

Miranda just seems like she's always either shouting or mumbling at me. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but she either *YELLS* at me, or else is barely getting the words out.

That's one thing that's really awesome about Carrie. She has some of the shoutiest songs in her catalogue (BHC to CC, GG to SLT) and yet you never feel put off like she's scolding you (even though she IS scolding you in songs like SLT) XD

Concert Stars
    She sounded pretty great on the Movies Rock performance.

Concert Stars
    ^ agree. All the vocal experts can nitpick all they want and trash Carrie's technique-- but the fact is-- she sounds damn good. So haters can suck it.

With that said-- I do want her to take classical vocal training for Sound of Music because I want her to shove it in the faces of the doubters and haters how great she does. If vocal training can help her achieve that "I Told You So" heard round the world-- then I am all for it.

Off topic--- but this was mean, yet funny as heck:

Grumpy Cat ‏@ItsTheGrumpyCat To donate $10 to those impacted by the disaster that is Alicia Keys half-time show, text "WTFWASTHAT" to 90999.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    The way she sang Blown Away at the Grammy's was pretty "theatrical" so I am excited to see how this vocal training affects Carrie's performances. If I remember correctly she never had any real formal training; that is something pretty great.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Does Carrie really have good vocal technique? She's obviously got pipes like we haven't seen in ages, but is her technique actually good? Idk.
    EXACTLY. and that's where people often get confused. To the average listener (i.e., someone who isn't privy to the kind of knowledge that is acquired through the studying of music theory and vocal pedagogy) Carrie would be considered to have a marvelous technique simply for the fact that she has an outstanding, borderline freak-of-nature NATURAL instrument that allows her to do things with her voice that many other singers cannot, even WITH proper vocal training.

In other words, people often mistake NATURAL TALENT and ability for a formidable vocal technique. That isn't the case. Honestly, Carrie's vocal technique is far from being one of the best. It could use a lot of work. She relies a LOT on her throat in tonal production, which often results in her notes sounding a bit "tight" or constricted, due to the over compression of air that a "throaty" singing technique forces a singer into. When that happens, the tone also resonates in the nasal passages more than it should, which also results in a nasally, or "reedy" output of sound. I like to describe it as a "swallowing of the tone," because it gives the impression that the note is sort of "stuck" in the singer's throat and cannot make it all the way out. This becomes more obvious when a singer goes higher, because the vocal cords will naturally close (gently) when you ascend in pitch. But the problem with throaty singing is that the reliance on outer-larynx muscles in tone production forces one to essentially SLAM DOWN on the vocal cords, instead of allowing them to close gently and naturally, which results in a loss of tonal quality and resonance.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ agree. All the vocal experts can nitpick all they want and trash Carrie's technique-- but the fact is-- she sounds damn good. So haters can suck it.

With that said-- I do want her to take classical vocal training for Sound of Music because I want her to shove it in the faces of the doubters and haters how great she does. If vocal training can help her achieve that "I Told You So" heard round the world-- then I am all for it.

Off topic--- but this was mean, yet funny as heck:

Grumpy Cat ‏@ItsTheGrumpyCat To donate $10 to those impacted by the disaster that is Alicia Keys half-time show, text "WTFWASTHAT" to 90999.
    I miss the days when Alicia Keys could sing x(

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    EXACTLY. and that's where people often get confused. To the average listener (i.e., someone who isn't privy to the kind of knowledge that is acquired through the studying of music theory and vocal pedagogy) Carrie would be considered to have a marvelous technique simply for the fact that she has an outstanding, borderline freak-of-nature NATURAL instrument that allows her to do things with her voice that many other singers cannot, even WITH proper vocal training.

In other words, people often mistake NATURAL TALENT and ability for a formidable vocal technique. That isn't the case. Honestly, Carrie's vocal technique is far from being one of the best. It could use a lot of work. She relies a LOT on her throat in tonal production, which often results in her notes sounding a bit "tight" or constricted, due to the over compression of air that a "throaty" singing technique forces a singer into. When that happens, the tone also resonates in the nasal passages more than it should, which also results in a nasally, or "reedy" output of sound. I like to describe it as a "swallowing of the tone," because it gives the impression that the note is sort of "stuck" in the singer's throat and cannot make it all the way out. This becomes more obvious when a singer goes higher, because the vocal cords will naturally close (gently) when you ascend in pitch. But the problem with throaty singing is that the reliance on outer-larynx muscles in tone production forces one to essentially SLAM DOWN on the vocal cords, instead of allowing them to close gently and naturally, which results in a loss of tonal quality and resonance.
    I don't find Carrie to be nasally or reedy. Taylor Swift has been described as reedy and thin voiced, and she is. But Carrie is not reedy.

I agree with you that Carrie can certainly benefit from classical vocal training-- and I am thrilled and excited that she might do it for SOM (hopefully). So I agree with you that it will benefit her.

But I don't think it is necessary to trash Carrie's technique as if it is so dreadful. Clearly, she can improve with a trained classical coach-- but that doesn't mean she is so horrid like you imply.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I miss the days when Alicia Keys could sing x(
    yeah what happened to her? She is still decent, but not what she once was.

•  
    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast