View Poll Results: Which is Carrie's most Over-Rated song (listed in alphabetical order)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • All-American Girl

7 10.94%
  • Before He Cheats

6 9.38%
  • Blown Away

1 1.56%
  • I Know You Won't

14 21.88%
  • Jesus Take The Wheel

1 1.56%
  • So Small

7 10.94%
  • Someday When I Stop Loving You

15 23.44%
  • Temporary Home

3 4.69%
  • Two Black Cadillacs

2 3.13%
  • Wine After Whiskey

8 12.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Junior Carrie Follower desubear's Avatar
    TH or JTTW totally (but im voting for TH). like both songs are incredibly fantastic, but TH gets more recognition than it deserves. I would vote for BHC, but hm something compels me not to. SWISLY and IKYW are totally underrated by the way.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitocco View Post
    **DISCLAIMER**
    This thread is for healthy discussion. It is not to insinuate that anyone here is by any means not a Carrie fan, or that they downright HATE any of her songs.

Anyways, I think this could be pretty interesting to see what everyone thinks of this! XD Included in the poll are songs that I've noticed are very hyped and very popular, if none of the ones included in the poll are what YOU think it is, then just say so in the comments

By "Overrated" I dont mean "which of these songs do you think SUCKS?!". What I mean is, is there a song on here that you think gets more buzz than other Carrie songs than you thought the song originally would. Or do you think she performs a particular song live far too often etc.

And again I will re-iterate...I, by no means, hate (or even dislike, for that matter) ANY of the songs included in this poll. This really is meant for healthy discussion and an intelligent exchange of opinions.
    This is a futile exorcise and in no way supports Carrie.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    Like! A waste of time. Many many more important things in life.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Over-rated is totally subjective and objectively speaking I can see how all the songs mentioned can be seen as "greats" among Carrie's catalog. Can't really vote on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Like! A waste of time. Many many more important things in life.
    Totally disagree. I'm really interested to see what other people think on this topic; I've often wondered whether others agree with my opinion on how some of Carrie's songs are over-rated.

Also, that is one hilarious typo! "exorcise" Was that an iPhone autocorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Totally disagree. I'm really interested to see what other people think on this topic; I've often wondered whether others agree with my opinion on how some of Carrie's songs are over-rated.

Somebody should make a horror movie called exorcise if there is not one with that title already lol.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Voting for WAW, BHC or So Small is blasphemous.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post

Great the test worked. ..................................or I lost the iPhone..

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Complaining about every little thing Taylor (or any other artist for that matter) does doesn't support Carrie in any way either, yet there are pages and pages of that here at CF . At least this discussion is Carrie-related.
    I think this is a great discussion to have. People are being respectful, and just because one thinks a song is overrated doesn't mean one hates it. It just means someone has other songs that he/she enjoys more and thinks those songs deserve a little more love.

Concert Stars
    How did One Way Ticket not make this list of nominees??
    "Lick It....." (cring)!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    How did One Way Ticket not make this list of nominees??
    "Lick It....." (cring)!
    Hey! It's all in good fun, right?

I don't see anything wrong with this thread; I'll chime in with others who are relieved it's at least Carrie-related. I like to discuss all kinds of different things and read other opinions, as long as the discussion is civil.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Voting for WAW, BHC or So Small is blasphemous.
    Hehe sorry I voted for WAW
    I just dont get the love. I think it's a nice song with good lyrics but it doesn't hold my attention

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    Who voted for SWISLY? Omg. Nicole?
    Hey, man, I just got here.

I find IKYW pretty overrated in the sense that (and I've had this conversation with carriecountrystar) it's super anticlimactic. "I knoooooow yooooooooooooou woooooooooooon't." I wish there were some dynamics in those held-out notes. It's too straight. Plus, my mom's obsession with this song went off the deep-end and it's hardly listenable to me. At the risk of being predictable, I ADORED it live. It was one of the best and most moving moments of my life. But yeah, the studio version is boring.

BA is another song with long, static notes that do nothing for me. To her credit, it IS more dynamic that IKYW, but it still has that element of bore in the held out notes for me. However, "There's not enough rain in Oklahoma to wash the sins out of that house," is one of the coolest parts of a Carrie song ever.

I do think TH, JTTW, and BHC are a little overrated, but not that much. I love BHC and JTTW, but I happen to love some songs a little more. I don't have a problem with people calling 'em Carrie's best, though. TH kinda bothers me when people call it her best song. Not because of her flawless vocals, but the arrangement is a terrible mismatch. The backing track is so boring. It detracts from the song a lot for me. But still, all three are great songs.

I ended up voting for, and I know this is shocking, SWISLY. It actually does bother me when everyone talks about how great it is simply because I cannot find any qualities to warrant such praise. I mean, yeah, the lyrics are some of the best of her catalog, and she does play around with dynamics, but I guess it just lacks the magic for me that Carrie songs usually have. It's like it's supposed to be this beautiful song, but it just completely misses the mark. I wouldn't even rank this song in my top 50 Carrie songs, probably. And yet, people always place it as her #1 best song and moan and groan about how it should've been a single. I certainly agree with its single potential, but #1 best song? I mean, what? I get why all the other songs I mentioned are praised to death even though I disagree, but the love for SWISLY totally flies over my head.

On another note, I'm actually surprised by how. . . rated AAG is. It's such a simple song, I always thought it would be forgotten about in the long run, and I would end up having to whine tirelessly about how great it is, but it's held up well with everyone.

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^ Who's Carriecountrystar?

I voted for IKYW over SWISL because at least the lyrics to SWISL is more complex. IKYW could have been a magnificent piece but the lack of phrasing and dynamic turns into a "how long can she hold the note" song (most noticeable on track) rather than that of an artistry in music.

I do adore the live performance though.

Concert Stars
    Maybe we should have discussed underrated instead of the opposite. But, that's just me.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I want additional songs on the list!!!!

Concert Stars
    Honestly, Do You Think About Me? or That's Where it It.

On this list, All-American Girl.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    Maybe we should have discussed underrated instead of the opposite. But, that's just me.
    I totally agree with this idea!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    That might have prevented my EXORCISM.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Well, Im not sure I get how you came up with the nominees. But of the choices I went with WAW. The song still does not resonate with me cause I don't think the metaphore works completely.
    I might have gone with SWISLY but the arrangement and her voice are so completely perfect to me that it hardly matters that it is not that exciting. HEr voice alone just stirs me.
    I get why some might have an issue with IKYW (partly I think cause it is a pop song and some of y'all are true country fans.
    But I think the fail in that song is in the arrangement. I have some serious issues with M.Bright which I won't go into, but I think the arrangement could have been such that this could have been a defining moment of her entire career. Her abilitiy on this song is basically unparalled in popular music today. But because of the arrangement, it comes across as a bit of a vocal lesson in how to hold a big note for an eternity.
    But she certainly does it well.
    Quoting your entire post because that's how I feel about all three songs too, especially WAW and IKYW.

I voted for IKYW though, because I feel that, like you said, it's like a vocal lesson in the studio version. I only enjoy IKYW live because that's where Carrie's magic come alive. The lyrics are soo... repetitive and boring. Kelly and Jason's DYWS feels like that too, which is why I felt that song is way overrated as well lol.

She sounds absolutely gorgeous on SWISLY, and I love the arrangement there!

As for WAW, I don't get the huge love for it as well... it's again, very repetitive.

•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast