Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Want to write a letter to Carrie, but really Hesitant

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Question Want to write a letter to Carrie, but really Hesitant

I’m a bit torn about sending a letter to Carrie. I have never written any kind of fan letter and this not a true one, it is a thank you. It involves Temporary Home and a portion of Carrie and Mike’s interview with Oprah. God used them in to affect my life in a very special way. I keep putting off sending it, primarily because I think the chances of her actually reading it are about the same as tomorrow being 80 degrees. If you think there is any chance at all, I would like to post the current draft of the letter for your comments. A big part of me really wants to send it, but that part of my brain that is 100% rational says don’t bother.
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 11-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan boilermaker's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Your best chance of Carrie actually reading the letter is if you get a meet and greet or give it to someone who has one. I do think she reads the letters she gets personally.
    Schrodinger and Smokyiiis like this.

i say write the letter and if you don't get a meet and greet maybe you can pm the letter to a person that has won a meet and greet to give the letter to carrie, i am sure that out of all the crazy carrie fans on this site, the ofc, pulse, etc.etc he/she won't mind giving that letter to Carrie for you if he/she wins a meet and greet.

Concert Stars
    I'm going to the Spokane concert on Feb 21st. I put in for a M&G, but there are a lot of OFC members going. I don;t know how many OFC M&G spots there are, but given my luck I won't be drawn. So I'm thinking of sending this to a CFer that has an upcoming M&G Anybody that has one want to deliver my letter? You can read it of course, if you want I can post it.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    I'm going to the Spokane concert on Feb 21st. I put in for a M&G, but there are a lot of OFC members going. I don;t know how many OFC M&G spots there are, but given my luck I won't be drawn. So I'm thinking of sending this to a CFer that has an upcoming M&G Anybody that has one want to deliver my letter? You can read it of course, if you want I can post it.
    Ann has a M&G at the Oklahoma show on Nov 21st. Why don't you pm her.

Concert Stars
    Write the letter! Carrie is often saying she reads alot of her fan mail. Obviously she can't read all of it- and some of it might be crazy hate mail or whatever- but if you can get it to her at the concert that would help your case!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Someone goes through the mail received at the fan club and on;y forwards interesting letters to her so the chances are less if you post to her fan club. If you are a fan club member maybe she will read the letter if you post it there.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for all the advice. If you think it would b appropriate I'd like to post it here for feed back. Is it too long or too verbose, I do verbose really well. Do you think it is something Carrie would want to know. Is it plain weird. Any suggestions would be very welcome. As you can see my insecurities are showing.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    i say post it!

Concert Stars
    Iím a bit torn about sending a letter to Carrie. I have never written any kind of fan letter and this not a true one, it is a thank you. It involves Temporary Home and a portion of Carrie and Mikeís interview with Oprah. God used them in to affect my life in a very special way. I keep putting off sending it, primarily because I think the chances of her actually reading it are about the same as tomorrow being 80 degrees. If you think there is any chance at all, I would like to post the current draft of the letter for your comments. A big part of me really wants to send it, but that part of my brain that is 100% rational says donít bother.
    I have wanted to send her a letter as well for years. The impact she had made on me with her faith is huge. She has changed my life. I just hope one day i can tell her.

So i say, send it! (:
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Okay here is the current draft. Like I said any comments would be very much appreciated.

Dear Carrie,

I have never written a fan letter before and I donít think this qualifies as one. It is really a thank you. God used a combination of Temporary Home and a portion of the Oprah interview with you and Mike to crack the shell of anger I have had toward God for the last ten plus years.

I became a Christian at seventeen. Went to college, meet my wife of now thirty five years there. Through a very long series of events I ended up in law school. It was hard but not as hard as practicing law. It is very difficult to be a Christian and a lawyer, ethical quagmires abound. During my fourth year I was faced with a huge ethical problem which resulted in my resigning as in-house counsel for a mortgage company. That turned out to the best decision I made as a lawyer. However the subsequent events were incredibly stressful and in 1988 I was told by my doctor I was depressed. I was prescribed a new drug, Prozac, which worked wonders in side effects but it didn't touch the now worsening depression.

That diagnoses started a twenty year odyssey until I was correctly diagnosed. I had increasing numbers of depressive episodes. Suicidal Ideation was increasing. The doctors tried every antidepressant they thought would work. All I got was more awful side effects. I went through years of cognitive therapy with a Christian psychologist. Nothing worked, they even suggested shock therapy. Then, they found a new drug that seemed to work, at least a little.

Flash forward to 1999, I had my first panic attack in a mall. It was so scary. Iíll take depression over panic attacks any day. The attacks were infrequent at first then became more and more frequent. I had just finished an oral argument before the Washington State Court of Appeals, got in my car and had a really bad attack. At that point it was clear that continuing to practice could hurt my clients. Through another long and very unpleasant series of events I resigned as partner of my firm and left the practice. It was then that I really became angry at God. Why would he let this happen? Yeah I know dumb question, but that didn't matter to me at the time.

I have been working with computers since high school (back then it was all punch cards) so I decided to go back to school and get an IT degree. The dotcom bubble hadn't burst yet it so it looked like the best way to support my now three daughters and wife. My last year of school the bubble burst and all those great jobs vanished. Now I was really angry with God. Leavening the practice was already a large drop in income. Now, I was looking at $12.00 an hour. I was now taking over $200.00 a month in drugs. But the depression and anxiety just kept getting worse and my anger toward God kept growing.

In 2008 I overdosed on my antianxiety drug. Not sure if it was intentional or not since Ativan induces amnesia. I woke up in the hospital. They wouldn't let me leave until I talked to the on call psychiatrist. Who turned out to be the best doctor I have had. After two hours he said that I had been misdiagnosed all these years and I was not suffering from unipolar depression, but had bipolar II disorder. Bipolar disorder is one hundred percent chemical. Trying to treat it with therapy is as effective as trying to treat diabetes. So he put me on a mood stabilizer and adjusted my other meds. Oh and that antidepressant was Wellbutrin, the only anti-depressant known to work on BP II depression.

It was a small miracle that I was still alive. Bipolar II disorder has the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses, 15% to over 20% if it is untreated. 50% of all people with Bipolar II attempt suicide at least once.

So we have a solution to the problem, so I should be grateful to God for providing it. Nope, my anger and bitterness only intensified. I had gone through hell for twenty years, bearing the guilt that my thinking was part of the problem and everyone, including my wife was saying I just didn't want therapy to work. More over BP II is genetic. A child of a BP II parent has a 25% chance of developing it. My youngest daughter has been displaying a number of symptoms. This did not improve my attitude toward God. Living with a person whoís bipolar is very hard. My wife is just like the woman in Lee Briceís song Hard to Love, ďYou're like a Sunday morning full of grace and full of Jesus.Ē Even she had to withdraw, I was pretty toxic.

I was encased in a bubble of hatred and bitterness. It wasn't so much self-pity, because a lot of the anger had to do with how it affected my family. Nothing had cracked that bubble in over ten years, until God used and you and Mike to crack it. I love almost all genres of music, but I was raised on country and am a big fan of most county artists, including this little girl from Oklahoma. While I like JTTW it didn't break the bubble. My thoughts about it went something like this. Well Jesus took my wheel and drove me off a cliff. Then a few months ago a series things did break that bubble.

It started when I watched the CMA Songwriters Series in Boston. I love songwriters and follow the series. When I saw Hillary, Brett, Luke and you were going to be there I had to watch it (I think you and Brett should do a duet of CC). I was moved by the feelings you expressed about Temporary Home. I had, of course heard it a many times, but the message hadn't registered on a heart level. Then I was looking for something else and I stumbled upon the interview you had with Oprah. The part that deeply affected me was you and Mikeís discussion of your faith. I hadn't read The Purpose Driven Life, on a head level I pretty much already knew most of what he was saying, but not on a heart level. I download it to my Kindle the day I saw the interview and started reading. I had already heard the story about how Mike suggested the title Temporary Home. When I got to the part about our life here being temporary, I regained something I had lost years ago, an eternal perspective.

After that first crack in the bubble I went looking for a performance of TH. The one I watched was when you received the Triple Crown award. The immense beauty of the song, its clear spiritual importance to you and your bold acknowledgement of Jesus brought me to my knees and I cried like a baby. Through you & Mikeís witness and your writing and performing Temporary Home I have my life back. It is still one day at a time and there is no cure for BP II but Iím going to church and dusted off my bible that has sat unread for years. My wife likes country music, but after bubble burst and the anger was gone, she is now a big Carrie Underwood fan.

I canít thank you and Mike enough. No matter how many fantastic songs you sing, Temporary Home will always be the one I cherish.
    Smokyiiis and opry051008 like this.

Concert Stars
    Send it!!

Concert Stars
    I agree, send it! If you have to have someone bring it to a m & g, then do it!

It is beautifully written and I know that she likes to know how her songs are impacting the lives of others. Good job!

And BTW you have touched me also. Someday I will tell you the story of my son - some similarities to your story (but some differences too, but enough to touch me) Thanks!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Send it.

Concert Stars
    I became a Christian at seventeen. Went to college, met my wife of now thirty five years there. Through a very long series of events I ended up in law school. It was hard but not as hard as practicing law. It is very difficult to be a Christian and a lawyer, ethical quagmires abound. During my fourth year I was faced with a huge ethical problem which resulted in my resigning as in-house counsel for a mortgage company. That turned out to be the best decision I made as a lawyer. However the subsequent events were incredibly stressful and in 1988 I was told by my doctor I was depressed. I was prescribed a new drug, Prozac, which worked wonders in side effects but it didn't touch the now worsening depression.

That diagnoses started a twenty year odyssey until I was correctly diagnosed. I had increasing numbers of depressive episodes. Suicidal Ideation was increasing. The doctors tried every antidepressant they thought would work. All I got was more awful side effects. I went through years of cognitive therapy with a Christian psychologist. Nothing worked, they even suggested shock therapy. Then, they found a new drug that seemed to work, at least a little.

Flash forward to 1999, I had my first panic attack in a mall. It was so scary. I’ll take depression over panic attacks any day. The attacks were infrequent at first then became more and more frequent. I had just finished an oral argument before the Washington State Court of Appeals, got in my car and had a really bad attack. At that point it was clear that continuing to practice could hurt my clients. Through another long and very unpleasant series of events I resigned as partner of my firm and left the practice. It was then that I really became angry at God. Why would he let this happen? Yeah I know dumb question, but that didn't matter to me at the time.

I have been working with computers since high school (back then it was all punch cards) so I decided to go back to school and get an IT degree. The dotcom bubble hadn't burst yet (delete it) so it looked like the best way to support my now three daughters and wife. My last year of school the bubble burst and all those great jobs vanished. Now I was really angry with God. Leaving the practice was already a large drop in income. Now, I was looking at $12.00 an hour. I was now taking over $200.00 a month in drugs. But the depression and anxiety just kept getting worse and my anger toward God kept growing.

In 2008 I overdosed on my antianxiety drug. Not sure if it was intentional or not since Ativan induces amnesia. I woke up in the hospital. They wouldn't let me leave until I talked to the on call psychiatrist. Who turned out to be the best doctor I have had. After two hours he said that I had been misdiagnosed all these years and I was not suffering from unipolar depression, but had bipolar II disorder. Bipolar disorder is one hundred percent chemical. Trying to treat it with therapy is as effective as trying to treat diabetes. So he put me on a mood stabilizer and adjusted my other meds. Oh and that antidepressant was Wellbutrin, the only anti-depressant known to work on BP II depression.

It was a small miracle that I was still alive. Bipolar II disorder has the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses, 15% to over 20% if it is untreated. 50% of all people with Bipolar II attempt suicide at least once.

So we have a solution to the problem, so I should be grateful to God for providing it. Nope, my anger and bitterness only intensified. I had gone through hell for twenty years, bearing the guilt that my thinking was part of the problem and everyone, including my wife was saying I just didn't want therapy to work. More over BP II is genetic. A child of a BP II parent has a 25% chance of developing it. My youngest daughter has been displaying a number of symptoms. This did not improve my attitude toward God. Living with a person who’s bipolar is very hard. My wife is just like the woman in Lee Brice’s song Hard to Love, “You're like a Sunday morning full of grace and full of Jesus.” Even she had to withdraw, I was pretty toxic.

I was encased in a bubble of hatred and bitterness. It wasn't so much self-pity, because a lot of the anger had to do with how it affected my family. Nothing had cracked that bubble in over ten years, until God used (remove and) you and Mike to crack it. I love almost all genres of music, but I was raised on country and am a big fan of most county artists, including this little girl from Oklahoma. While I like JTTW it didn't break the bubble. My thoughts about it went something like this. Well Jesus took my wheel and drove me off a cliff. Then a few months ago a series of things did break that bubble.

It started when I watched the CMA Songwriters Series in Boston. I love songwriters and follow the series. When I saw Hillary, Brett, Luke and you were going to be there I had to watch it (I think you and Brett should do a duet of CC). I was moved by the feelings you expressed about Temporary Home. I had, of course heard it (remove a) many times, but the message hadn't registered on a heart level. Then I was looking for something else and I stumbled upon the interview you had with Oprah. The part that deeply affected me was you and Mike’s discussion of your faith. I hadn't read The Purpose Driven Life, on a head level I pretty much already knew most of what he was saying, but not on a heart level. I downloaded it to my Kindle the day I saw the interview and started reading. I had already heard the story about how Mike suggested the title Temporary Home. When I got to the part about our life here being temporary, I regained something I had lost years ago, an eternal perspective.

After that first crack in the bubble I went looking for a performance of TH. The one I watched was when you received the Triple Crown award. The immense beauty of the song, its clear spiritual importance to you and your bold acknowledgement of Jesus brought me to my knees and I cried like a baby. Through you & Mike’s witness and your writing and performing Temporary Home I have my life back. It is still one day at a time and there is no cure for BP II but I’m going to church and dusted off my bible that has sat unread for years. My wife likes country music, but after the bubble burst and the anger was gone, she is now a big Carrie Underwood fan.

I can’t thank you and Mike enough. No matter how many fantastic songs you sing, Temporary Home will always be the one I cherish.

Love the letter Schrodinger, and made a few minor corrections for you (the old English teacher coming out in me). Hope that you don't mind!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Love the letter Schrodinger, and made a few minor corrections for you (the old English teacher coming out in me). Hope that you don't mind!
    No not at all. Thanks. This was second draft and I'm so old school that when I go for the final draft I have to print it out. Much better proofreader with paper than the screen. So you saved me some work.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    No not at all. Thanks. This was second draft and I'm so old school that when I go for the final draft I have to print it out. Much better proofreader with paper than the screen. So you saved me some work.

Ha Ha so am I! I really hope she gets a chance to read it, or share it, or something.....I think it's really inspirational!

Carrie Guru
    Okay here is the current draft. Like I said any comments would be very much appreciated.

Dear Carrie,

I have never written a fan letter before and I donít think this qualifies as one. It is really a thank you. God used a combination of Temporary Home and a portion of the Oprah interview with you and Mike to crack the shell of anger I have had toward God for the last ten plus years.

I became a Christian at seventeen. Went to college, meet my wife of now thirty five years there. Through a very long series of events I ended up in law school. It was hard but not as hard as practicing law. It is very difficult to be a Christian and a lawyer, ethical quagmires abound. During my fourth year I was faced with a huge ethical problem which resulted in my resigning as in-house counsel for a mortgage company. That turned out to the best decision I made as a lawyer. However the subsequent events were incredibly stressful and in 1988 I was told by my doctor I was depressed. I was prescribed a new drug, Prozac, which worked wonders in side effects but it didn't touch the now worsening depression.

Flash forward to 1999, I had my first panic attack in a mall. It was so scary. Iíll take depression over panic attacks any day. The attacks were infrequent at first then became more and more frequent. I had just finished an oral argument before the Washington State Court of Appeals, got in my car and had a really bad attack. At that point it was clear that continuing to practice could hurt my clients. Through another long and very unpleasant series of events I resigned as partner of my firm and left the practice. It was then that I really became angry at God. Why would he let this happen? Yeah I know dumb question, but that didn't matter to me at the time.

I have been working with computers since high school (back then it was all punch cards) so I decided to go back to school and get an IT degree. The dotcom bubble hadn't burst yet it so it looked like the best way to support my now three daughters and wife. My last year of school the bubble burst and all those great jobs vanished. Now I was really angry with God. Leavening the practice was already a large drop in income. Now, I was looking at $12.00 an hour. I was now taking over $200.00 a month in drugs. But the depression and anxiety just kept getting worse and my anger toward God kept growing.

So we have a solution to the problem, so I should be grateful to God for providing it. Nope, my anger and bitterness only intensified. I had gone through hell for twenty years, bearing the guilt that my thinking was part of the problem and everyone, including my wife was saying I just didn't want therapy to work. More over BP II is genetic. A child of a BP II parent has a 25% chance of developing it. My youngest daughter has been displaying a number of symptoms. This did not improve my attitude toward God. Living with a person whoís bipolar is very hard. My wife is just like the woman in Lee Briceís song Hard to Love, ďYou're like a Sunday morning full of grace and full of Jesus.Ē Even she had to withdraw, I was pretty toxic.

I was encased in a bubble of hatred and bitterness. It wasn't so much self-pity, because a lot of the anger had to do with how it affected my family. Nothing had cracked that bubble in over ten years, until God used and you and Mike to crack it. I love almost all genres of music, but I was raised on country and am a big fan of most county artists, including this little girl from Oklahoma. While I like JTTW it didn't break the bubble. My thoughts about it went something like this. Well Jesus took my wheel and drove me off a cliff. Then a few months ago a series things did break that bubble.

It started when I watched the CMA Songwriters Series in Boston. I love songwriters and follow the series. When I saw Hillary, Brett, Luke and you were going to be there I had to watch it (I think you and Brett should do a duet of CC). I was moved by the feelings you expressed about Temporary Home. I had, of course heard it a many times, but the message hadn't registered on a heart level. Then I was looking for something else and I stumbled upon the interview you had with Oprah. The part that deeply affected me was you and Mikeís discussion of your faith. I hadn't read The Purpose Driven Life, on a head level I pretty much already knew most of what he was saying, but not on a heart level. I download it to my Kindle the day I saw the interview and started reading. I had already heard the story about how Mike suggested the title Temporary Home. When I got to the part about our life here being temporary, I regained something I had lost years ago, an eternal perspective.

After that first crack in the bubble I went looking for a performance of TH. The one I watched was when you received the Triple Crown award. The immense beauty of the song, its clear spiritual importance to you and your bold acknowledgement of Jesus brought me to my knees and I cried like a baby. Through you & Mikeís witness and your writing and performing Temporary Home I have my life back. It is still one day at a time and there is no cure for BP II but Iím going to church and dusted off my bible that has sat unread for years. My wife likes country music, but after bubble burst and the anger was gone, she is now a big Carrie Underwood fan.

I canít thank you and Mike enough. No matter how many fantastic songs you sing, Temporary Home will always be the one I cherish.

Just Wow. Thanks for sharing and this definitely should be shared with Carrie.

It looks like there are a lot of us here who have improved their relationship with God because of Carrie. There's probably a few of us here who think that Carrie is actually an angel sent from heaven.

Concert Stars
    I'm looking for someone who has a M&G to delver the letter to Carrie. I have received nothing but positives responses include some PMs. I concluded that I am suppose to send this and in a way she will have an opportunity to read it. There seems to a be a consensus that having it hand delivered is the best shot. If you have a M&G and would be willing to deliver the letter please PM me thanks.

Concert Stars
    ^^ You can also send a letter to her mailbox at the Grand Ole Opry - each Opry member has their own mailbox - you just send it to the Opry address attention of Carrie - definitely send her the letter

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast