Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Carrie's Voice - Blown Away Tour

Junior Carrie Follower montdu39's Avatar

Carrie's Voice - Blown Away Tour

Am I the only one who had noticed that her voice seems to be giving her a hard time so far this tour? Her high notes are VERY often flat (she doesn't quite reach the notes or takes a very long time to climb up to them). On performances like I Know You Won't and All-American Girl, her high notes are sometimes painful because she's so flat.

Here's a video (skip the first few minutes of the video). Listen to her performance of I know You Won't and how flat she is on some of those notes.

Carrie Underwood - I Know You Won't / Blown Away - Live in Bridgeport - 9.15.12 - YouTube

I am very worried about Carrie's voice. I started noticing she was having a hard time with it at the beginning of this era when I noticed she was going flat on a few high notes here and there, which is something she NEVER used to do ever. Now it's getting to be every high note.

Anyone else notice this?

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I have not noticed. I am going to see her llive and then it will be clearer. Not worried.

Concert Stars
    I can only hear it on I Know You Won't. Her other performances are flawless to be honest.

Concert Stars
    with the IKYW vid if you watch she keeps fiddling with her earpiece and that thing clipped to her dress (the machine i dont know the name of but lets the singer hear themselves while theyre singing) so i think there was something wrong with it. Even still the only major problem i heard was that she was just cutting the notes short
    jaylee50 likes this.

I am not sure you can truly make a judgement call off of youtube video's as they do not give off the best sound a lot of times. That is a bad choice to use as a example as it is pretty clear she is struggling with her ear piece. Post a clear one where she isn't messing around with the ear piece
    Ann055 and jaylee50 like this.

Concert Stars
    Actually I think she sounds better then ever-- and so do the critics reviewing the shows. So I think people are being overly critical.

I didn't notice any flat notes.

The critic from the MA show said she sounded better then Celine Dion on IKYW.
    Claire2004, Hil, Ace01 and 6 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Did you see her live or using the videos as reference? I have not noticed her going flat in any of the live performances that are professionality recorded. Her performance in late July at the Boston Songwriters Series was flawless, to the point that Bob DiPiero said she was the best singer he ever heard live. The reason I ask about the professional recording is the amateur recordings are subject to all kinds of distortion caused by reverberation etc and can make a note sound flat when it isn't. Which is why artists wear ear packs or use the old monitors.

I've listed to all of her live performances of this era, recorded professionally, a number of times and I have never noticed her go flat. I would also think if she were going flat as often as you indicted it would have been picked up on and commented. Think how many times she has preformed live this era, between promo spots, Grand Ole Opry shows, CMA fest etc. I've read no such comments. If there is vocal strain I can't imagine her not seeking medical advice and going on voice rest if prescribed, just as Miranda did during her last tour. So I too am not worried.
    Daraebe, liveasong, Ann055 and 6 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I see no good coming from this thread.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Actually I think she sounds better then ever-- and so do the critics reviewing the shows. So I think people are being overly critical.

I didn't notice any flat notes.

The critic from the MA show said she sounded better then Celine Dion on IKYW.
    Yes, I have read a number of critics that say that her voice sounds richer, her technique is improving and there is vast contrast between her Idol performances and now.

Concert Stars
    Her voice seems more FLEXIBLE. If that makes any sense. LOL.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I will admit I was worried when I saw the ACM's, but by now those thoughts have faded away.

Take the CMA Fest for example, GG is one of her more challenging songs to perform, and she absolutely SLAYED IT!
    teesharky, mtreasmith and Cps235 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I've never heard her sound anything but awesome - seriously, not just defending.
    teesharky, judes and Ace01 like this.

It maybe due to her singing it a bit different than she has in the past with regards to the phrasing and stuff that are making people perceive she is not holding out the notes or going flat. She may know that to maintain her voice in top shape is to sing that song differently as it so difficult to sing and she is doing it at the end of the show

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieFan_01's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    She was obviously having problems with her in ear monitor. I've never seen Carrie mess with hers as much as she did in that video.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitocco View Post
    with the IKYW vid if you watch she keeps fiddling with her earpiece and that thing clipped to her dress (the machine i dont know the name of but lets the singer hear themselves while theyre singing) so i think there was something wrong with it. Even still the only major problem i heard was that she was just cutting the notes short
    I noticed that too. Ear packs are critical, they function just like the old monitors did. A singer can't hear her true voice coming back to her from the arena. Today's arenas are not opera houses. Their design does not take into account the acoustics need for singing..Every arena has its own acoustic signature, some have real problems with distortion. The ear packs let the artist hear her true voice without distortion. If you watch most singers they will occasionally fiddle with an ear pack. I have noticed that Kelly does it quite often.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie's voice is fine, now i am not a singer but when i played the clarinet back in high school, i would go through the summer not playing, and when school started back my playing wasn't as good, the notes didn't sound as good as they usually did but after a while i gotten to where i was before the summer started, and later i was able to reach notes i have never been able to play before, but that was then. for instance if i try playing the clarinet today i would be able to hit the majority of the notes, but my tone wouldn't be as good as it would of have been if i had kept practicing. i am sure that as the tour goes on Carrie's voice would be more warmed up, prepared, and that her lung capicity would be back to it full potential to where she can hit those high notes in her sleep, and like other's already mention carrie's voice isn't flat, at least i don't think it is.....

Concert Stars
    I thought she was struggling more than usual earlier in the era, but I actually think she's better than ever now. Listen to her Opry performances, her CMA Fest performances, and her CMA Songwriters performances. Those are some of her best performances of all-time.

Regarding the performance, you're right. That's not a very good performance of IKYW. But if you listen to the other recent IKYWs, she sounds pitch perfect. And even on this performance, you can tell the notes are still effortless and there's no strain. It appears she couldn't find the pitch. Judging by her fiddling with her earpiece, she probably couldn't hear herself, so she was guessing. Actually pretty good for guessing, though lol.

Her voice feels looser lately than back at the ACMs. It reminds me of the PO era, which is great since, imo, that was her best vocal era. And she's in that shape now.

Regarding YouTube recordings vs actually being there, I gotta disagree that being there provides the truth. I've had this discussion many times with GN'R fans who say Axl sounds amazing when you're there, but YouTube doesn't tell the same story. When I went to the show, I realized the YouTube video was more accurate than my own ears! He sounded brilliant, but when I really, really, really focused, he really did sound at some points as awful as the YouTube videos say. It's just that I was so in-the-moment that it all sounded fine to me.

I always love discussing Carrie's voice, the good and (rarely) the bad.
    teesharky, rainbow1, Hil and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstname89 View Post
    I will admit I was worried when I saw the ACM's, but by now those thoughts have faded away.

Take the CMA Fest for example, GG is one of her more challenging songs to perform, and she absolutely SLAYED IT!
    I agree. I wanted to cry after her performance at the ACMs. She knew that it was average while performing... I

Junior Carrie Follower montdu39's Avatar
    First I just want to say that I am a Carrie Underwood FANATIC so there's no reason for anyone to get super defensive with me. This thread is a serious concern from one of her biggest fans. Although it does seem she was having an ear monitor issue in the video that I posted, all the other tour videos of I Know You Won't are the same.

She's simply not hitting her notes dead-on like she used to. She's always a semi-tone (or not even) under the notes. The high note in the bridge of A-AG is another example. The last note of Two Black Cadillacs is also another example. She climbs up to the note but doesn't quite get there.

Her performances at the song-writing event this summer was outstanding. The best she's ever sounded in years, in my opinion. I just think her voice doesn't come as easily to her as it once did and it's getting more and more obvious. I mean, I knew it would happen one day. No one can belt all those songs for years and years and not lose certain parts of their voice eventually....

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Another thing we need to take into consideration is that other than the mini tour overseas she is just starting to get back into the flow of being on tour.

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast