Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By CarrieVille09
  • 8 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 1 Post By supercarriefan
  • 1 Post By LouisaJessie

Thread: 'Eighteen Inches'...Song Written By Carrie Underwood

'Eighteen Inches'...Song Written By Carrie Underwood

Lauren Alaina's follow-up to Georgia Peaches is the song she got from Carrie Underwood. The fourth-season American Idolchamp wrote Eighteen Inches, the 10th-season runner-up's new single, with Kelley Lovelace and Ashley Gorley.Lauren says Eighteen Inches reminds her of a good friend. "She got married when she was 17, and she had a baby," she says. "And they moved here, to Nashville. Her husband's is going to college and has a full-time job, and she stays at home with the baby, and she doesn't know anyone here. She moved here to support him. That's, like, the story of that song. That grabbed me about that."Georgia Peaches, Lauren's previous single, peaked at No. 30 on USA TODAY's Country airplay chart. Her debut album,Wildflower, has sold 285,000 since its release last October, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Interesting story. Thanks for posting.

Carrie Follower
    I like the song and think that Lauren does a good job singing it!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I am really surprised Georgia Peaches did not chart higher. In my opinion that was very radio friendly song. Anyways. I hope she does well with Eighteen Inches.

Concert Stars
    Single Review: Lauren Alaina, “Eighteen Inches”

by Tara Seetharam
    July 2, 2012
    Lauren Alaina’s “American Idol” legacy can be summed up in one phrase: failure to meet potential. The Season 10 runner-up kicked off her “Idol”run with a fiery display of vocal talent, but she was never able to match that confidence or sense of identity in subsequent live performances. Worse yet, her “Idol” catalogue stood in stark contrast to that of winner and fellow country artist Scotty McCreery, whose best strength was his firm grasp of self.
    It’s surprising, then, that Alaina’s debut album Wildflower is one of the most authentic post- “Idol” country albums to date – a collection of tasteful, age-appropriate pop-country songs, “Georgia Peaches” withstanding. Her current single is topped only by one album gem that’s unlikely to see the light of radio.
    “Eighteen Inches” treads no new ground for country music: Teenage lovers defy their parents, jet out of town and create a life of their own that includes a new baby. But its hook sums up the root of this familiar story better than most: “There ain’t no greater distance than the 18 inches from your head to your heart” is a keen description of the power of love. Thanks to an evocative melody, this sentiment –and Alaina’s performance– soars.
    Alaina is a naturally gifted vocalist, possessing a voice that can tell a story simply through its shades and intricacies, much like that of “Eighteen Inches” co-writer Carrie Underwood. It’s a testament to this skill that she’s able to flip the Martina McBride-style power ballad into one with undertones of gritty teenage emotion. She approaches the song with youthful poise, but injects it with just enough teenage angst to crack the gloss of the pop-country arrangement.

Concert Stars
    I agree with the article.
    I do think she is a better vocalist than she is being given credit for at the moment.
    I am not sure this tune will elavate her much.
    The one genius think that M.Bright did with Carrie from the start was make her tracks "vocal showcases".
    The balance of her soft pure tone with the ability to sink her teeth into a meaty phrase showed that she was a vocalist first and a star second.
    This is not happening on Laurens tracks.
    There is far too much filler in the chorus. It seems to want to mask something. It sounds too produced.
    she is a relly good singer, no doubt. So why hide her voice in the arrangement.
    I don't think the one phrase "eighteen inches from your head to your heart" (although creative) will be enough to elavate this track.
    And since they hid the voice so much, neither will it.

Obsessed Carrie Fan NC State Carrie Fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I really don't like this song......

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I agree with the article.
    I do think she is a better vocalist than she is being given credit for at the moment.
    I am not sure this tune will elavate her much.
    The one genius think that M.Bright did with Carrie from the start was make her tracks "vocal showcases".
    The balance of her soft pure tone with the ability to sink her teeth into a meaty phrase showed that she was a vocalist first and a star second.
    This is not happening on Laurens tracks.
    There is far too much filler in the chorus. It seems to want to mask something. It sounds too produced.
    she is a relly good singer, no doubt. So why hide her voice in the arrangement.
    I don't think the one phrase "eighteen inches from your head to your heart" (although creative) will be enough to elavate this track.
    And since they hid the voice so much, neither will it.
    I think the reason her voice doesn't quite shine as much as it should on many tracks is because her voice had been seriously overused at that point. She had just come off Idol, and all the appearances following the show, when she went right into the studio. She was recording two or three songs a day plus singing on tour every night, and she has mentioned that she could barely speak at times because of the wear and tear on her voice. I think she may have actually lost her voice for a few shows during the tour. She should have been given a bit of vocal rest between Idol and the time she went into the studio. She mentioned in one interview a while back that the raspy tone worked well on Dirt Road Prayer, but made it harder to sing the bigger ballads like Eighteen Inches. I think the producer had no choice but to cover things up a bit because of the state of Lauren's voice. My hope is that Lauren gets time to rest her voice before she goes into record her second album, so that we get to hear her at her best.
    I worry that Lauren may have done irreparable damage to her voice with the overuse last summer because her speaking voice still has a strong rasp to it that it did not have at the beginning of Idol.
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    I appreciate your commentary on that.
    And I agree completely.
    She is way too young to sound that raspy.
    The only reason for that is "the over singing". But even that is a bit of a misnomer.
    Singing alot can be hard on the voice, yes. But if you are singing correctly, in your correct range, you should be able to endure singing every night. Someone like Phillip Phillips sings well within his range and comfortably delievers so he is not in threat of overdoing it.
    But when a young lady like Lauren is asked to sing "at the top of her capabilities" even one night, it is taxing. But to have to do that every night is going to hurt your voice. She is very young, as a singer, and her voice is not matured yet. Someone like Carrie's has.
    I sure hope she figures that out. Cause her bosses are not going to tell her thats for sure.
    Only she knows when her voice has had enough. And/or if she had a professional vocal coach with her at all times (which I doubt).
    I think you are right in that they hid her voice abit in the arrangement because the "rasp" (that can be so effective) was probably overtaking the basic singing. IT makes my throat hurt just thinking about it.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    The videos I'm seeing her sing in now in concert and opry seem to have a total different voice than the one we heard on Idol. Then she just seemed to be not quite in control and figured maturity and some good coaching would handle that but instead we now have this rasp which isn't working for all songs. She needs to take months off and I'm sure she is too fearful of losing fans - not sure the answer when you see how fickle fans can be.

Concert Stars
    I far prefer Lauren's raspy tone to her normal one. Her normal one is boring (though I actually love how she sounds on Eighteen Inches, and I love the song itself).

She sounds great on her low end with that raspy tone. The problem I have with her is the way she was phrasing the chorus in that AOL Sessions video. It sounded really juvenile to me. She just needs more confidence and this new voice can carry her places, imo.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I love Lauren. She has a wonderful voice and I wish her every possible success with her new single. 'Eighteen Inches' is a beautiful track.
    Gator likes this.

•