Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Carrie deconstructing her image

Thoughts on Carrie deconstructing her image

Hi All,

Thought I would open up a discussion.

In recent interviews, Carrie has gone out of her way to separate Carrie "the star" from Carrie "the person". I realize that, for her, she needs to do that to stay sane.

As fans, how do you feel about this? Should an artist retain a certain air of mystery in their private life as a way of creating a buzz among the fans or should they reveal all behind the scenes so that fans have no illusions about the artist? Does knowing the details of Carrie's home life detract in any way from how you see Carrie "the star" on stage?

I'm wondering if Carrie is preparing fans for a time in the near future (after the BA tour) when she walks away from it all for a while and decides to have a family. Perhaps the upcoming tour seems like a bit of a grind after enjoying a slower pace and time with her husband for an extended period?

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

SC
    Johngalt likes this.

Concert Stars
    I think it works differently for different personalities.
    I know Carries privacy is very improtant to her. (and keep in mind it was not that long ago that artists did not have to "hide" themselves so much because people did not "expect" to know so much about them.)
    so I think it is very natural for her to have a stage personna and a private on. All artists do this.
    Some will attempt to suggest to you that they are being completely real and open with their whole life (Taylor Swift/Lady Gaga), but that is not true at all.
    IT is true that these kinds of artists use the illusion that you are part of their private lives so as to gain the trust and loyalty of you the fan. but the truth will always be that individuals are and have privacy that is not for the public.
    So Carrie is a private person but she allows people to know about her coming and goings and even parts of who she is as a person. but none of us knows the real person behind the personna so I think it is refreshing and "real" of Carrie in her own way to say I am one person on stage but another person in private.
    I would certainly hope so.
    I would not be nearly as interested in her if I thought she was the kind fo person who craved my attention so much that she was constantly vying for attention night and day from any media outlet she could use.
    I think she is the perfect balance.

PKLongBeach

Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting points.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    One thing that has come out of her finally opening up more is unlike four or five years ago you don't see her being called "boring" by people in the media for not ever saying anything.
    Sofa Critic likes this.

Carrie Guru
    I just want to be her fans from a far: I just do not want to know every detail of her life --as long as she is a good person and respect others, it's fine with me.
    maddkat, pklongbeach, Hil and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    One thing that has come out of her finally opening up more is unlike four or five years ago you don't see her being called "boring" by people in the media for not ever saying anything.
    I agree. She seems quite charming and fun. Yet she refers to herself as boring and her family life as boring. (At least that's how she believes she may be perceived by the public).
    JB172 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    She reminds me very much of Garth. A huge superstar that people were sure had an ego to match his voice. The only publicity we ever heard about him was tour information or album release. He operated very much like Carrie. Photos of his girls were never allowed in print and when he was at home, he was such a "real" person that he got a kick out of yardsaling. I also remember him stopping to help a dstraught motorist. He enjoys entertaining and certainly does not need the money, but I very much believe at home he is Garth Brooks, Husband and Dad. Because of the income they both generate, no matter how much they try to live a simple life, there are certainly differences between famous folks and the rest of us. Personally, i am a very private person and would have huge issues with people in my personal space. Carrie had some real issues originally, but living in a gated community helps as everyone there wants to maintain their privacy. I give her credit for whatever reason she tries to keep out of print as people get tired of celebrities always being in the rags. For a while you could not pick up a magazine without reading about Britney. It did not help her career and people ended up knowing too much about her personal business. People may be curious and want to know, but they do not need to know.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofa Critic View Post
    I agree. She seems quite charming and fun. Yet she refers to herself as boring and her family life as boring. (At least that's how she believes she may be perceived by the public).

She is indeed.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The difference between the way she is now and say the CR era is just amazing, she should be proud of herself for blossoming the way she as with the media in a very good way unlike Tiger Woods who was always labeled as being "boring" by the media until Thanksgiving of 2009 when he was shown to not to be boring in a bad way.
    liz278 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie maintains a healthy balance. She isn't in the media for personal reasons. She has no scandal attached to her. She keeps her private life private. I respect Carrie's privacy. It was nice to have an insight into her marriage to Mike on the interview with Oprah, but I'm not really interested in that. I don't want to know every little detail about Carrie's personal life. I like Carrie because she comes across as someone who hasn't let fame change her. She's still a small town girl at heart.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I can see why the separation for Carrie.So it doesn't bother me.She incredibly shy around people and if she needs to assume a sort of separate persona to get up on that stage I see no problems with it.I always look on it as really not so much a separate persona as a different facet of her personality that stays hidden till she steps on stage.
    She's still a beautiful caring person on stage or off so I'm good.

as far as her stepping away in a few years, gonna be tough as a fan but I'm sure she won't disappear on us.
    And eventually will get to see those adorable little Fishers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bearball49

Are you saying Garth didn't have an ego? I'd be very surprised to hear otherwise. I remember that video he did with the Oklahoma City bombing pictures in the background and Garth with his arms outstretched. That really turned me off, because the video seem to be more about him than his concern for the victims.

If I've got Garth all wrong, please fill me in....

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I can see why the separation for Carrie.So it doesn't bother me.She incredibly shy around people and if she needs to assume a sort of separate persona to get up on that stage I see no problems with it.I always look on it as really not so much a separate persona as a different facet of her personality that stays hidden till she steps on stage.
    She's still a beautiful caring person on stage or off so I'm good.

as far as her stepping away in a few years, gonna be tough as a fan but I'm sure she won't disappear on us.
    And eventually will get to see those adorable little Fishers.
    Let me borrow Quotes from Douglas MacArthur a bit " Carrie will never stepping away from music, she just fades away for awhile" OR If Carrie is stepping away , she will say: " I shall return", just like MacArthur's promise to the people of the Philippines in 1942.

Concert Stars
    I like what Sofa said in the beginning, about Carrie possibly taking a break from it all after this tour wraps up. I really think that's what she's going to do, in order to start a family. I think that's why they're going full out with not only the album as far as quality goes, but also the tour.

It's a good chance that after enjoying her break with Mike, she's ready to take another after this year. And I think it's good that she keeps "Carrie" separate from "Carrie Underwood". I know I would go crazy if I didn't have a place to get away from it all.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I always look on it as really not so much a separate persona as a different facet of her personality that stays hidden till she steps on stage.
    Yeah, I kind of agree. In concert does she lose herself in the song? Does the audience reaction push her performance to a higher level?

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I don't think she'll step that far away from her career & music when she has kids. I envision it being much like it was this album cycle. She's said in a couple of different interviews how she wants to talk to Faith, Martina and others to see how they did the having a baby and mothering thing. I think she'll find a way to do it! Lots of women do it -- work and have children -- her mom did it. Carrie will find what works best for her.

As far as the question asked at the top -- everyone is different at work. And I mean everyone! We all try to put our best selves forward and we try to leave our personal lives at home where they should be. I believe that Carrie is always giving us glimpses of who she is. And again, that's no different than anyone one of us.

Concert Stars
    Carrie is very smart to keep a demarcation zone between the two... Her life can go on seamlessly when her career ends... The ones that will have problems are the ones whose life and career are one in the same... What happens to someone like that when their career is over?
    That's why sports figures have such a tough time retiring...
    Mike and Carrie not only have each other to lean on when their careers end...They have God...

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    Carrie is very smart to keep a demarcation zone between the two... Her life can go on seamlessly when her career ends... The ones that will have problems are the ones whose life and career are one in the same... What happens to someone like that when their career is over?
    That's why sports figures have such a tough time retiring...
    Mike and Carrie not only have each other to lean on when their careers end...They have God...
    Not only do they have God but I believe because of their faith they will be involved in some wonderful things to help others.
    liz278 and Johngalt like this.

Concert Stars
    I don't need to know all about her private life - that seems like too much of a stalker - and even tho' they are celebrities they deserve to have some private life. Carrie has said that she just wants to sing. She loves singing. I don't think in her naive way back in 2005 she knew what she was getting into. And I think when she talked to Oprah she said that it was very strange when everyone seemed to know all this stuff about her but she didn't know them at all. And she said at the CMT thing a couple years ago that if she were the Carrie on stage in real life people would be not like her very much. So I think she has grown up a lot in the last couple of years and because of that she understands this business a little more. She knows that the fans want to know some things about her, but she has come to value the life she has with Mike and knows that boundaries need to be in place - especially when she has children. (Just think about Britney and what her kids had to endure - even tho' they were young it had to be hard to constantly be photographed)
    I agree with DaisyTweets about our work and personal life. I am much different at work than I am at home.

P.S Thanks Sofa Critic for such a thought provoking thread.

Bearball49

Are you saying Garth didn't have an ego? I'd be very surprised to hear otherwise. I remember that video he did with the Oklahoma City bombing pictures in the background and Garth with his arms outstretched. That really turned me off, because the video seem to be more about him than his concern for the victims.

If I've got Garth all wrong, please fill me in....
    When Garth is here w/Trisha and the girls (in my town), they are regular folks. They go to the kids sporting and school events. My brother ran into Garth at the dentist's office. They have a huge compound and the whole family has property on it. He was seen all over town, but nobody bothered him.
    Mirasa45A likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast