Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insane Carrie Fan

Eighteen Inches lyrics

These are the lyrics to the Carrie co-write on Lauren Alaina's upcoming album:
    Eighteen Inches (Lyrics) – Lauren Alaina [Written by Carrie Underwood] « A Separate State of Mind

I think the song is BEAUTIFUL!

Question : Is it a co-write, or did she write it entirely by herself?

Insane Carrie Fan
    It's a co-write.

Quote Originally Posted by eliefares View Post
    It's a co-write.
    Cool...still, a beautiful song

I like the point you made about Carrie's stance on the issue of unplanned pregnancies and stuff like that. The way I see it, this song can be a huge source of comfort, inspiration and peace to any two people in such a difficulty. YET, it can't in any way be said to encourage teen sex and irrational behaviour. She's found the middle line very well, to the effect that the song leads to nothing but good things. I approve

Concert Stars
    Last edited by Suellen; 10-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Wow what a great song! Awww!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Sugarlandgirl4life's Avatar
    Awesome song!

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Possibly Carrie's greatest co write honestly. Then again, we havent heard all of them. I would love to just have a list of carrie cowrites that never made albums just so we could read the lyrics. I honestly feel like this song could become a teen cult anthem ALA "white houses" by Vanessa Carlton about losing your innocence (or your virginity in the most explicit sense).
    becca T

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    “There was a handful of the album that I was not real happy with,” said Bucky, “I was not feeling comfortable putting ‘Bucky Covington’ on the album, because they weren’t necessarily my picks. They were good songs, no doubt about it, but I had other songs for me.”

Bucky went back into the studio with producers Mark Miller and Dale Oliver to record new songs. “I am absolutely thrilled with the album that is now coming out, head over heels,” he says “It’s Bucky Covington through and through.”

Bucky Covington Announces His New Label Deal, Single | American Idol, Bucky Covington | mjsbigblog

Junior Carrie Follower Butterfly13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That's a really great song. It kind of reminds me of Indian Summer by Brooks and Dunn lyrically. I really like Lauren but I would've loved to hear Carrie sing this as well.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love it! I think the lyrics are so great, and I think Lauren sounds so good in that video. It reminds me of Some Hearts, the album in general

Concert Stars
    I really love the lyrics! If she has more songs like this on there, I have a feeling Lauren's album is going to be really good.

Concert Stars
    I hope it is a big hit for Lauren-- because that will reflect well on Carrie's writing.

I honestly think this song is best for Lauren anyway---- because the lyrics are more appropriate for a younger girl.....Carrie is in her 20s now so the song is better suited to Lauren.

But otherwise--- I would have loved for Carrie to record this song.

Carrie Guru
    Although Lauren does a great job, I sure would love to hear Carrie sing this one.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I think the song is BEAUTIFUL!

Question : Is it a co-write, or did she write it entirely by herself?
    It was written by Carrie with Kelley Lovelace and Ashley Gorley (the same team who came up with "All American Girl")

I know "All American Girl" is a big fan favourite, perhaps with wider radio appeal, but, from my point of view, I think "Eighteen Inches" is lyrically stronger. I agree with those who are saying it's one of Carrie's most impressively written songs to date. The refrain, which relates the distance between the head to the heart to the size of the newborn baby, laid against the new mother 's heart, is an unusual piece of imagery, and makes a strong lyrical device. Tee may have hit it on the head when she said the theme suits a teenage singer more - but, as a piece of writing, it's thoughtful, and developed. The line about 'no friends, and no family - no job out there waiting', and the whole verse beginning with 'barely make the rent' take it beyond a teenage anthem, and beyond a heart-warming young love story. They reflect Carrie's social concern - something I've seen in other songs, and in the humane attitude that people like Bono have admired in her. Artists like Ronnie Dunn tend to get critical credit for "aware" songs - it would be a shame not to give Carrie equal notice for the mature and concerned sense of realism she brings to a music scene sometimes accused of being too transient and flippant. Not for the first time, I'm genuinely impressed.

One minor point on the lyric - "Last thing they need is another mouth to feed, but they won’t call," That last word doesn't seem to make much sense - I wonder if it might be "they won't carp"? - it's very indistinct in the video, and that's only a suggestion!

Concert Stars
    ^Call their families for help, perhaps? Call a clinic, call an adoption agency. It could mean a lot of different things, I guess.

Ty
    Yeah. I took it as meaning that they're not going to call the family for financial support.

And, I agree that this is one of Carrie's most impressive lyrics, but there's one thing that's got me confused about it: Was the girl pregnant when she ran away?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Was the girl pregnant when she ran away?
    Songs are seldom fully explicit, and the writing leaves room for ambiguity - e.g. not wanting to see her daddy cry, and 'gotta go'

But I don't think so. The verse about the baby comes after the verse about the ring - and nine months is full term, so it looks as if the pregnancy comes some time after taking the apartment. (Carrie isn't judgmental on people's personal lifestyles - but I think that's the way she'd probably think while developing the sequence of events in the story line)

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Yeah. I took it as meaning that they're not going to call the family for financial support.

And, I agree that this is one of Carrie's most impressive lyrics, but there's one thing that's got me confused about it: Was the girl pregnant when she ran away?
    its prob meant to be open ended. I could see both scenarios, one being they ran away because their parents were keeping them apart, with the second being they were pregnant so they ran away.
    becca T

Concert Stars
    Wow, I'm in awe. What an incredible song. I hate to sound selfish but I would have prefer that she saved this song for her next album. I can already picture a music video for this one Needless to say, Lauren does a great job in bringing this song to life. Thanks for the find

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast