Amy Winehouse's death, and what that means for the duet CD

Well, the shock of AW's passing has worn off. While sad, it wasn't entirely surprising, but whatever.

As most of you will know, Amy also recorded a duet with Tony Bennet for his September CD. What does this mean for Carrie's contribution now?

The bad news : Amy's duet on the album is the last thing she recorded, and the only as yet unreleased material. It's thus already being hyped (even here in Dubai!). From the news about the Blue Bloods premiere, it was strongly hinted that "It Had To Be You" would be lead single. Unfortunately, now with Amy's track getting such attention, it may become the lead single. It's a possibility. Even if Carrie's remains as the single, the real focus and attention will be on Amy's contribution.

The good news : Obviously, this is great for Tony's sales. Which means more people may buy the entire album (although most will just download the single track). However, the buzz that his album is generating because of her passing will naturally mean that more people listen to the entire thing, which means greater international recognition for Carrie.

My take is this : If "It Had To Be You" continues to be the lead single, then this will work very well for Carrie. The album has generated a lot of interest, and that will mean more people listen to Carrie.
    If Amy's track is made the single, then this is not good for Carrie.

What say you guys?

Concert Stars
    I think that, sadly, her death will definitely bring more attention to the Duets CD as it is her last recording. But I don't think they would change the lead single at the last minute. Perhaps they will promote the Amy song second?

Then again---- will any of these songs really get radio airplay anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I think that, sadly, her death will definitely bring more attention to the Duets CD as it is her last recording. But I don't think they would change the lead single at the last minute. Perhaps they will promote the Amy song second?

Then again---- will any of these songs really get radio airplay anyway?
    I think they may get airplay on a few stations.

I really hope that the attention that the CD gets brings Carrie a few more fans :-)

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Just my opinion. But I don't think it is really appropriate to be discussing the sad news of Amy's death in terms of how it will affect Carrie's career.

^^Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Just my opinion. But I don't think it is really appropriate to be discussing the sad news of Amy's death in terms of how it will affect Carrie's career.
    I certainly meant no disrespect. I admit I'm a rather cynical, matter-of-fact person. I personally didn't see it as impolite to talk about the consequences her passing will have for the CD.

Clearly most people disagree with me, though, so obviously I'm the odd one out here, lol. Ask for this thread to be closed by someone

Concert Stars
    It is inappropiate because it comes of as being insensitive. I know we all go over board sometime as how things will affect Carrie's career, but sometimes it's best to keep our thoughts to ourselves. (If it make u feel any better, I thought for a few seconds "oh man, they are going replace the lead single now"... but oh well). To honor Amy and give her fans a fnal good-bye, than I am ok with it.

God Bless and may she rest in peace!

Don't worry Carebear, we know u mean well!

•