Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrie and Canada crash course, please :)

Hey, people.

I actually needed a bit of help from the Canadian fans. I'm very excited to announce that I'm leaving Dubai for Canada for college. I've been accepted to University of Toronto and University of Waterloo, and I've accepted Waterloo. I'm headed to Waterloo in September, yay!

Of course, I'm excited for a number of reasons, but one of them is that in North America I'll be able to do more as a Carrie fan. I'll no longer be an "international fan" and will be able to watch music videos when they comeout right away, will be able to watch the award shows on TV rather than a crappy stream, etc.

Another thing that I'm VERY, VERY excited about is radio. COUNTRY radio. Hearing Carrie on the radio. Carrie hasn't once been played on the airwaves in Dubai so far (except once when I requested BHC like 3 million times).

What I wanted, was to get in touch and get familiar with the scene in Waterloo over the next 4 months before I head there.

That's where I needed your help. So please answer the following Carrie-related questions. If you could Private Message me some extra info about Waterloo itself (general weather, important events, stuff about the college, etc.) that'd be great, but here in the Carrie Chat section, let's stay on topic

a) RADIO! : Which radio station is the major country station in Waterloo/the entire province? I'd like to start listening to the station online in the coming months so I'm acquainted.
    b) COUNTRY EVENTS! : I read on Wiki there's one large country fest every year in the summer in Waterloo itself. Unfortunately no major stars come, so there's like zero chance of Carrie coming. Anything else I should know about?
    c) MOST IMPORTANT - CARRIE CONCERTS! : Where does Carrie typically tour in Canada? Which of the venues would be close enough for me to consider going from college? Are there any already scheduled after September - not Capital Hoedown in August - I'm missing that . Which of the following artists also tour - I'd like to see them - Miranda Lambert, Lady A, Reba, Martina, GaGa, Adele (maybe? - I know she hasn't toured yet), even SWSRN maybe?
    d) TELEVISION! : Which channels do the award shows come on? Are they regularly available in college campuses, or will I have to go out of the way to watch them?
    e) Finally, do any of you guys live in the area? You must understand I'm going to a completely new country, all by myself, with my family a 17-hour plane ride away. I'd feel very secure if I knew there's SOMEONE around who I could go to for any quick help - Carrie or non-Carrie related (info on public transport, emergencies, etc. etc.)

Thanks so much!

Like I said, if there's any extra info you have to share that's NOT Carrie related, please, PLEASE PM me so as not to anger the mods.

Thanks again :-)

Concert Stars
    I don't know the answer to these, cuz I live in the US, but congrats!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The Canadian CF'ers can help you out with your questions.

But growing up in Nothern Ohio and it being cold there is the winter, I can tell you to bring lots of warm clothes and boots.

just another fan

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    The Canadian CF'ers can help you out with your questions.

But growing up in Nothern Ohio and it being cold there is the winter, I can tell you to bring lots of warm clothes and boots.
    i would actually say don't bother bringing warm clothing from Dubai. Better, and more functional, warm clothing should be bought in Canada. It'll be at least a month before those are needed anyway.

with regards to concert events, i don't recall any in Waterloo. but im sure there were concerts in Toronto and Hamilton, which are about an hour away. Ottawa is quite a bit further away so harder to stalk the house the Fishers are putting up for sale

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    i would actually say don't bother bringing warm clothing from Dubai. Better, and more functional, warm clothing should be bought in Canada. It'll be at least a month before those are needed anyway.

with regards to concert events, i don't recall any in Waterloo. but im sure there were concerts in Toronto and Hamilton, which are about an hour away. Ottawa is quite a bit further away so harder to stalk the house the Fishers are putting up for sale
    Okay, thanks for that advice!

Toronto and Hamilton...Got it! Can't wait for the next tour now...I've always felt so left out before when she went on tour

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Toronto is the big one for concerts! And any warm clothes you think you have will not be warm enough

I don't know any particulars about Waterloo, but I live in Ottawa so I can try to help you out!! And University of Waterloo is a GREAT school, congrats!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDreams1818 View Post
    Toronto is the big one for concerts! And any warm clothes you think you have will not be warm enough

I don't know any particulars about Waterloo, but I live in Ottawa so I can try to help you out!! And University of Waterloo is a GREAT school, congrats!!!!!!
    That's cool. I'm really not looking forward to the cold

Pls help however you can, thanks, it's highly appreciated.

Any ideas about radio stations?

Thanks again

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    That's cool. I'm really not looking forward to the cold

Pls help however you can, thanks, it's highly appreciated.

Any ideas about radio stations?

Thanks again
    Have fun in the snow!!!! Hopefully there won't be crazy storms like last winter.

I googled it, and this showed up as the Country Radio for the Waterloo area....
    KICX 106 FM | KICX 106

Carrie's in their banner so it has to be good!

Concert Stars
    Wow I am very excited for you! I used to live in Buffalo NY which is 1.5 hours away from Toronto, and I can tell you, it WILL be cold... lol

But Toronto is a great city with tons of theater and culture, concerts, sports, etc. I am not familiar with Waterloo, but it is not far from Toronto.

You can even go to the Preds hockey games when they play Toronto to see Mike Fisher play if you want! lol

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Hey, people.

I actually needed a bit of help from the Canadian fans. I'm very excited to announce that I'm leaving Dubai for Canada for college. I've been accepted to University of Toronto and University of Waterloo, and I've accepted Waterloo. I'm headed to Waterloo in September, yay!

Of course, I'm excited for a number of reasons, but one of them is that in North America I'll be able to do more as a Carrie fan. I'll no longer be an "international fan" and will be able to watch music videos when they comeout right away, will be able to watch the award shows on TV rather than a crappy stream, etc.

Another thing that I'm VERY, VERY excited about is radio. COUNTRY radio. Hearing Carrie on the radio. Carrie hasn't once been played on the airwaves in Dubai so far (except once when I requested BHC like 3 million times).

What I wanted, was to get in touch and get familiar with the scene in Waterloo over the next 4 months before I head there.

That's where I needed your help. So please answer the following Carrie-related questions. If you could Private Message me some extra info about Waterloo itself (general weather, important events, stuff about the college, etc.) that'd be great, but here in the Carrie Chat section, let's stay on topic

a) RADIO! : Which radio station is the major country station in Waterloo/the entire province? I'd like to start listening to the station online in the coming months so I'm acquainted.
    b) COUNTRY EVENTS! : I read on Wiki there's one large country fest every year in the summer in Waterloo itself. Unfortunately no major stars come, so there's like zero chance of Carrie coming. Anything else I should know about?
    c) MOST IMPORTANT - CARRIE CONCERTS! : Where does Carrie typically tour in Canada? Which of the venues would be close enough for me to consider going from college? Are there any already scheduled after September - not Capital Hoedown in August - I'm missing that . Which of the following artists also tour - I'd like to see them - Miranda Lambert, Lady A, Reba, Martina, GaGa, Adele (maybe? - I know she hasn't toured yet), even SWSRN maybe?
    d) TELEVISION! : Which channels do the award shows come on? Are they regularly available in college campuses, or will I have to go out of the way to watch them?
    e) Finally, do any of you guys live in the area? You must understand I'm going to a completely new country, all by myself, with my family a 17-hour plane ride away. I'd feel very secure if I knew there's SOMEONE around who I could go to for any quick help - Carrie or non-Carrie related (info on public transport, emergencies, etc. etc.)

Thanks so much!

Like I said, if there's any extra info you have to share that's NOT Carrie related, please, PLEASE PM me so as not to anger the mods.

Thanks again :-)
    Congratulations and welcome to Canada. What made you decide to go to Waterloo over Toronto? Too bad you're not in Toronto because that is where everything is. It is for sure cold on winter time and hot in the summer time. My daughter goes to York Universiy which is just outside Toronto. I am sure happy for you. You are going for a new adventure. Goodluck to you.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Kitchener has a Jr. hockey team that you could go watch.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Wow I am very excited for you! I used to live in Buffalo NY which is 1.5 hours away from Toronto, and I can tell you, it WILL be cold... lol

But Toronto is a great city with tons of theater and culture, concerts, sports, etc. I am not familiar with Waterloo, but it is not far from Toronto.

You can even go to the Preds hockey games when they play Toronto to see Mike Fisher play if you want! lol
    It's nearly impossible to get Leafs tickets, since they're either hundreds of dollars, or owned by businesses. Junior hockey teams are your best bet if you want to see a hockey game! There's Kitchener Rangers, and London is not too far either.

You'll definitely need to spend some time in Toronto! One of my favourite places (except for the Leafs )

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I live in the States too so I am no help with all things Canada except you do NOT marry one of their favorites and get them traded - a lot of Canadians take that PERSONALLY!

ANYWAY...Congrats with your acceptance and with coming over to North America - we are all a generally nice group of people! It will be cold. COLD. No I mean COLD! Just buy everything when you get there because anything you think will work probably won't! Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by utlovescarrie View Post
    I live in the States too so I am no help with all things Canada except you do NOT marry one of their favorites and get them traded - a lot of Canadians take that PERSONALLY!

ANYWAY...Congrats with your acceptance and with coming over to North America - we are all a generally nice group of people! It will be cold. COLD. No I mean COLD! Just buy everything when you get there because anything you think will work probably won't! Welcome!
    Your post DID NOT MAKE ME FEEL GOOD! :'(

Lol, I'm sure I'll manage somehow....SOMEHOW!

Thanks for the post, it was very sweet

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to Canada. What made you decide to go to Waterloo over Toronto? Too bad you're not in Toronto because that is where everything is. It is for sure cold on winter time and hot in the summer time. My daughter goes to York Universiy which is just outside Toronto. I am sure happy for you. You are going for a new adventure. Goodluck to you.
    I'm doing Software Engineering, and almost everyone said for anything computer-related, Waterloo is the place to be....so I rejected Toronto.

It's cool though, cuz I expect I'll be in Toronto a lot for my co-op terms

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

That's great. I'm in this co-operative program, which involves 3-4 month work terms mixed in between study terms. I expect some of those work terms will be in Toronto, so I'll surely check out the city :-)

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here. You guys are very, VERY nice people, and I feel very fortunate to be a part of such a nice group. Thanks so much, I'm really grateful :-)

Have fun in the snow!!!! Hopefully there won't be crazy storms like last winter.

I googled it, and this showed up as the Country Radio for the Waterloo area....
    KICX 106 FM | KICX 106

Carrie's in their banner so it has to be good!
    I started listening to them already! No Carrie on the radio right now unfortunately

Lol, the commercials are very boring though. Here in Dubai we have these insanely creative yet annoying commercials with special effects, dialogues, etc. Here it's just people lecturing stuff! :P

Thanks again, crazydreams1818

Concert Stars
    Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here. You guys are very, VERY nice people, and I feel very fortunate to be a part of such a nice group. Thanks so much, I'm really grateful :-)

I started listening to them already! No Carrie on the radio right now unfortunately

Lol, the commercials are very boring though. Here in Dubai we have these insanely creative yet annoying commercials with special effects, dialogues, etc. Here it's just people lecturing stuff! :P

Thanks again, crazydreams1818
    No problem!!! I was in Waterloo in November, it's very much a university city. You'll have a great time! And that's DEFINITELY the best place for software engineering. The RIM headquarters is right there on campus (the makers of Blackberry). GREAT CHOICE!!!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to message me! I'm sure people who live there/closer to there may be more helpful but I'll do what I can!!!
    Oh, and it won't be TOO cold when you get here. Really cold weather (like below freezing) starts in November-December ish. A lovely white Christmas!!

No problem!!! I was in Waterloo in November, it's very much a university city. You'll have a great time! And that's DEFINITELY the best place for software engineering. The RIM headquarters is right there on campus (the makers of Blackberry). GREAT CHOICE!!!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to message me! I'm sure people who live there/closer to there may be more helpful but I'll do what I can!!!
    Oh, and it won't be TOO cold when you get here. Really cold weather (like below freezing) starts in November-December ish. A lovely white Christmas!!
    That's what I heard from everyone I asked - for Software, Waterloo is the PLACE TO BE!

Thanks again for being so great. I surely will PM you if I ever need any help. Thanks!

Junior Carrie Follower legallyblonde529's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I actually live like not even 40 minutes from Waterloo.

Radio - BX93 out of London plays a lot of Carrie, but a lot of the pop radio stations here play Carrie quite a bit as well.

Concerts - Carrie has come to London, John Labatt Centre (JLC) before, as well as Toronto and Hamilton. JLC has had brad paisley and sugarland, and some other really big acts.

TV - CTV has a lot of award shows, also CMT. Those are local channels but you can go to the big networks as well for the shows.

If you need anything, let me know since we live so close.

just another fan

Lol, I'm sure I'll manage somehow....SOMEHOW!

I'm doing Software Engineering, and almost everyone said for anything computer-related, Waterloo is the place to be....so I rejected Toronto.
    there are thousands of students from Asia/Africa/Middle East/South America in North America and almost all/most of them learn to deal with the cold, so it's not really a problem. Waterloo is definitely the place for comp science/engineering stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by legallyblonde529 View Post
    I actually live like not even 40 minutes from Waterloo.

Radio - BX93 out of London plays a lot of Carrie, but a lot of the pop radio stations here play Carrie quite a bit as well.

Concerts - Carrie has come to London, John Labatt Centre (JLC) before, as well as Toronto and Hamilton. JLC has had brad paisley and sugarland, and some other really big acts.

TV - CTV has a lot of award shows, also CMT. Those are local channels but you can go to the big networks as well for the shows.

If you need anything, let me know since we live so close.
    Thanks for the help! I'm listening to this radio station now :-)

I surely will turn to you if I need help. Thanks for being so open!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast