Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is Carrie Underwood's true ethnic background?

  1. #1
    New Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6

    What is Carrie Underwood's true ethnic background?

    What is Carrie's ethnicity? Does anyone know? i heard something native american related..if this is just a rumor i don't know what her ethnic heritage.

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan carrieidol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,511
    Concert Stars
    I think I remember hearing English/Scottish? At least the name Underwood comes from the UK. Does anyone know her mom's maiden name. That should tell us more...

  • #3
    Huge Carrie Follower gran29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    782
    Concert Stars
    I read this on a site about celebrities who have Native American ancestry.

    Carrie Underwood
    Country singer and songwriter, Carrie Underwood, is an enrolled tribal member of the Muscogee (Creek) Indian nation.

  • #4
    Obsessed Carrie Fan AnthonyLovesCarrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieidol1 View Post
    I think I remember hearing English/Scottish? At least the name Underwood comes from the UK. Does anyone know her mom's maiden name. That should tell us more...
    Carrie has said that she is not Scottish, and she doesn't know where that rumor came from. I remember her saying it at the Fan Club Party in 2009. I'm pretty sure she has said she is probably a "mutt" and doesn't really know what her background is, but I think she said she has some Native American ancestry.

  • #5
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    12,279
    Concert Stars
    She is a blonde. That is an ethnicity all it's own.
    carrieguy2 likes this.

  • #6
    Carrie Guru allirishgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ireland & Carriefans
    Posts
    11,601
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    She is a blonde. That is an ethnicity all it's own.

  • #7
    New Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6
    oh ok but we don't know for sure if Carrie Underwood is native american or not.

  • #8
    Insane Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,493
    Carrie does indeed have Creek heritage. Checotah is historically a Creek town (though, like most of Oklahoma) it has residents of different backgrounds. Carrie and her parents were enrolled members of the Creek Nation - and I understand Carrie kept up active participation in Creek social groups during her College days. When she started winning awards they were reported in the Native press, with words to the effect that they were very proud of her.
    The five main organized tribal nations in Oklahoma all had pretty mixed ethnic backgrounds, going back to their earlier history in the South-Eastern states before the Trail of Tears, with many members of partly, African and European heritage. Some Caucasian-Americans definitely accompanied the Creek on their Trail of Tears. These included spouses, teachers and missionaries. Some of the African-Americans were slaves, but others were Freemen attached to the tribe. The Cherokee have recently, controversially, removed many (but not all) African descendants from their tribal rolls - but this policy was not adopted by the Creek. (Jimmi Hendricks, by the way, was an artist of part African and part Cherokee heritage).
    Part Native heritage is certainly not unique in Country Music. Kitty Wells is a prominent example. Shania Twain was raised in a Canadian First Nations community (she was adopted, but already, in fact, had First Nations heritage from a different tribe). Tommy Nash, formerly of the Dixie Chicks, is an Oklahoma Native American.
    Carrie's Creek heritage does not seem to feature in the Sony publicity, but it is acknowledged in some reference sources, including Wikipedia, where she's listed as Carrie Underwood, Country Singer, under prominent people of Creek descent.

  • #9
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    4,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Carrie does indeed have Creek heritage. Checotah is historically a Creek town (though, like most of Oklahoma) it has residents of different backgrounds. Carrie and her parents were enrolled members of the Creek Nation - and I understand Carrie kept up active participation in Creek social groups during her College days. When she started winning awards they were reported in the Native press, with words to the effect that they were very proud of her.
    The five main organized tribal nations in Oklahoma all had pretty mixed ethnic backgrounds, going back to their earlier history in the South-Eastern states before the Trail of Tears, with many members of partly, African and European heritage. Some Caucasian-Americans definitely accompanied the Creek on their Trail of Tears. These included spouses, teachers and missionaries. Some of the African-Americans were slaves, but others were Freemen attached to the tribe. The Cherokee have recently, controversially, removed many (but not all) African descendants from their tribal rolls - but this policy was not adopted by the Creek. (Jimmi Hendricks, by the way, was an artist of part African and part Cherokee heritage).
    Part Native heritage is certainly not unique in Country Music. Kitty Wells is a prominent example. Shania Twain was raised in a Canadian First Nations community (she was adopted, but already, in fact, had First Nations heritage from a different tribe). Tommy Nash, formerly of the Dixie Chicks, is an Oklahoma Native American.
    Carrie's Creek heritage does not seem to feature in the Sony publicity, but it is acknowledged in some reference sources, including Wikipedia, where she's listed as Carrie Underwood, Country Singer, under prominent people of Creek descent.
    Hmm, I thought Carrie denied this at a fan club party? Not sure that Wikipedia is the most reliable source.

  • #10
    Insane Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,493
    It's not only based on Wikipedia, though - and living celebrities usually do have active discussion boards for examining and editing any information that is in dispute. The Wikipedia entry is referenced to a Native newspaper (though only the headline now remains on-line, from what was once a longer article that I remember seeing some time ago)
    I wasn't aware that Carrie had denied it - though if she has definitely denied it, that would certainly be enough for me. Do you have a reference?

  • #11
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    4,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    It's not only based on Wikipedia, though - and living celebrities usually do have active discussion boards for examining and editing any information that is in dispute. The Wikipedia entry is referenced to a Native newspaper (though only the headline now remains on-line, from what was once a longer article that I remember seeing some time ago)
    I wasn't aware that Carrie had denied it - though if she has definitely denied it, that would certainly be enough for me. Do you have a reference?
    No sorry I don't have a reference. I just vaguely remember her answering a question about it at one of her fan club parties. LOL, at Carrie saying she's probably a mutt. I remember when I was little asking my mom what I was and she always told me 'American'!!

  • #12
    wb1
    wb1 is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan wb1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,867
    Concert Stars
    I too remember her denying it. I don't see any resemblance of Indian heritage in any of her family, including her Grandfather. Who really cares anyway? Carrie to me is just that, Carrie. One of THE most beautiful women on the planet, both inside and out. That's all that I care to know about her heritage. Most people are of very mixed ancestry though, and very few, in relation to the total population, are mixed with any Indian, no matter which one you're talking about. I grew up on the border of the Seneca Nation in Western New York, and actually knew of no one who was mixed with any of them. They stayed amongst themselves when it came to dating and marrying, but were active in the surrounding communities, like everyone else.

  • #13
    Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,542
    Concert Stars
    I've heard she's indian too. I dont see any resemblance of indians in her family, but then again my friend is blonde haired and blue eyed and is part indian.

  • #14
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    11,623
    Concert Stars
    I remember her denying it too, and I think she specifically said that she sure wasn't Creek, so maybe she had seen that written about her.

  • #15
    Insane Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,493
    Ok, thanks - I'll have to reject my earlier idea (pity, in a way, because I thought that would have added one more piece to the mosaic of interest surrounding our girl!)
    I think the trouble is, we'd all like to claim her. lol. I'm going to say she's a Sussex girl way back, with half English and half Irish heritage - that way she's a bit like me (except when I try to sing!)

  • #16
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    11,623
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Ok, thanks - I'll have to reject my earlier idea (pity, in a way, because I thought that would have added one more piece to the mosaic of interest surrounding our girl!)
    I think the trouble is, we'd all like to claim her. lol. I'm going to say she's a Sussex girl way back, with half English and half Irish heritage - that way she's a bit like me (except when I try to sing!)
    Faraway, I finally remembered where I read Carrie's response to this. It was in a thread at the FC. So I just now went over to search. The question was: Is Carrie a member of the Muscogee Creek Nation?
    Answer: on 05-10-2010, Definitely not true. I'm pretty sure I have some Native American in my background, but there's no way to prove it...and if I do I for sure know that it's not Creek...Im your typical who-knows-what's-in-there little Okie girl!

    It's pretty much a standard joke in Okla, about who slipped in to who's tent.....way back when! LOL!!

  • #17
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    11,623
    Concert Stars
    I better clarify....that last line was mine!! LOL!!
    carrieguy2 likes this.

  • #18
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,375
    Concert Stars
    Oh boy. This is the first I've heard of ANYTHING pertaining to her heritage. Major brain assault right here reading all this lol.

  • #19
    just another fan

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I better clarify....that last line was mine!! LOL!!
    hahaha. thats pretty funny.

    anyway, i think the question was more about her true racial background. i think with DNA nowadays if you want to you can test to find out. i remember George Lopez had his announced during his talk show and it was very specific, something like 50% white, 30% native american, and some asian and black. ethnically, carrie's pretty much the typical small town southern girl

  • #20
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,335
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    hahaha. thats pretty funny.

    anyway, i think the question was more about her true racial background. i think with DNA nowadays if you want to you can test to find out. i remember George Lopez had his announced during his talk show and it was very specific, something like 50% white, 30% native american, and some asian and black. ethnically, carrie's pretty much the typical small town southern girl
    While I would probably never take the time or money to have it done, that would be pretty freaking cool to have a DNA test that could tell you what race you come from. But then again, if your 100% white, I guess there's no way to tell if it's English, French, German, etc. Don't they do those tests on dogs too, lol, to find out what breed they are, lol?

    My dad always said that his grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee but I couldn't find it at all when I got into it on Ancestry. I think Native American heritage can be very hard to prove. But my dad is almost 79 years old and his hair is still more black than gray and he always tanned more red than brown.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •