Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Billboard Music Awards 2011: To Be Held in Vegas May 22nd!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...20110217abc03/

This article says the following:

The awards will be based on the reporting period of February 28, 2010 through March 1, 2011. Top artists will be recognized in a variety of genres, for example R&B, Rap, Pop, Country, Rock, Latin and Alternative. Such recognition will be determined and authenticated by Billboard.

Artist popularity will be recognized on stage by objective measures�capturing pure fan support through Billboard's legendary chart rankings. The Billboard Music Awards will take a holistic look at artist performance based on key fan interactions with music, including album, single and digital sales, touring, streaming, as well as social interactions on MySpace, Facebook and many of the other most popular online destinations for music. These measurements are tracked year-round by Billboard and its data partners.

Read more: Breaking News - "The 2011 Billboard Music Awards" to Air on ABC Live from Las Vegas, Sunday, May 22 | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...#ixzz1EYU6MTPo

My question for Cary is this: Is Carrie eligible for anything? Or will Taylor and Miranda sweep everything? thanx. I am trying not to get too excited as I know these are based on sales, so I am assuming Taylor will win most. But it would be so nice if Carrie could win a radio play chart.

Carrie was the top country radio female artist in 2010--- so I was curious if that could get her an award??

Carrie also toured ALOT in 2010, which will help her- since they say it is based on touring and online activity-- not just sales.

Billboard Music Awards to return to TV - themorningsun.com

NEW YORK (AP) — Billboard said Thursday it plans to bring back its annual music awards show on television after it has been dormant since 2006.

The Billboard Music Awards will be shown live on ABC from Las Vegas on May 22. In contrast to the annual Grammy Awards, which awards trophies based on the votes of industry professionals, the Billboard awards will honor artists based on sales figures tracked by the music trade publication, concert attendance and the amount of online activity connected to the artist.

-------------more at site-------------------

Ty
    I honestly think that that these advanced award show threads need to stop or at least go in the Music discussion area or something. They're just setting people up for disappointment.

Concert Stars
    Yeah but that is why it was not posted in the Times section-- because we don't know if Carrie is eligible or not. So I put it in the chat section to figure out the criteria. If Carrie is not eligible, then feel free to move this to the general discussion area.

The way I see it is this:

Carrie did not sell that many albums in 2010 since most of her album sales were in late 2009 when PO just came out.
    However, she did sell alot of digital downloads-- especially Undo It, which was all in 2010. The rules say they factor digital downloads in too, not just album sales. So that helps Carrie a little.

Carrie's best category is the touring factor. They say they look at concert sales too, and Carrie kicked butt there in 2010, beating Taylor for country in the USA, though Taylor beat Carrie overseas. That will be close.

Also, Carrie had alot of online activity and streaming, which is a factor.

So I think Carrie will beat Miranda overall, but not sure about Taylor. They don't mention radio airplay, oddly, which Carrie did really well at in 2010.

Concert Stars
    oh these awards havent been around in ages. right?

Junior Carrie Follower CarrieFan928's Avatar
    I know artists get nominated due to their sales/touring/etc. but do the winners win because of sales not by votes?

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    These awards are less subjective and related to the sales. I'm not really concern because it is totally out of our hands so I'm not concern or even that excited for them.

Concert Stars
    The only reason it would be cool, is if Carrie attended and either presented or performed. I don't really care if she wins anything since she already has 15 Billboard awards to her name. lol

But it would be nice if she were nominated, and attended. By May, maybe Carrie will feel more rested and feel more like attending something like this.

Concert Stars
    do we know when the nominations come out? thanx.

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Feb. 28, 2010 - March. 1, 2011

Assuming the Brad/Carrie duet isn't released within the next two weeks, the only things she's eligible to be nominated for are "Undo It" and "Mama's Song".
    She had such an enormous 2010 last year that it could easily be honored, so let's see what the nominations hold.
    UI - Platinum
    MS - N/A
    Taylor was quiet for the first half of the eligibility period, which will definitely hurt her a bit, regardless of the monster sales of "Speak Now". Plus, "Mine" and "Back To December" aren't #1, while UI is, and MS is #2 (same page as "Mine"). That's another thing Carrie holds over her.
    Mine - Platinum
    BTD - Platinum
    With Miranda, "The House That Built Me" IS eligible, and that was the longest-lasting #1 of 2010 for Country music. "Only Prettier" is also eligible, but that didn't even crack the Top 5.
    THTBM - Platinum
    OP - N/A

Basically they're all on an even level, but Miranda is Carrie's bigger competition of the two we're comparing Carrie to.

In addition to the BMA news, since I have the privilege of residing in Vegas... I'll try to get some tickets! If I get tix, I'll make sure to keep y'all posted throughout the show.

Insane Carrie Fan
    even though taylor was mostly quiet compared to the last year-she was still touring during earlier part of 2010 and catered to 50,000 capacity stadiums. I think she was #2 on the touring list while carrie is... 13, 15? the touring/general popularity/sales would most likely go to taylor and the singles would probably go to miranda. (HTBM stayed #1- 4 weeks. Undo it #1- 1 week. Both are platinum but HTBM is critically acclaimed and has already won her CMA, Grammy and probably more ACMs so why not billboard? >.<)
    I think we're just might be setting ourselves up for a disappointment again.... and I thought after 2009 it wouldn't get any worse.
    sigh, when will nominations come out?

Concert Stars
    ^ No Carrie was number 18 for all genres, ahead of Taylor, on the pollstar touring lists. The end of the year Pollstar touring lists for USA only, had Carrie ahead of Taylor for touring revenue. Taylor did not tour in the 2nd half of 2010 as she was promoting her album, so Carrie should still be ahead.

And both Taylor and Carrie are WAY ahead of Miranda in terms of touring and sales.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    even though taylor was mostly quiet compared to the last year-she was still touring during earlier part of 2010 and catered to 50,000 capacity stadiums. I think she was #2 on the touring list while carrie is... 13, 15? the touring/general popularity/sales would most likely go to taylor and the singles would probably go to miranda. (HTBM stayed #1- 4 weeks. Undo it #1- 1 week. Both are platinum but HTBM is critically acclaimed and has already won her CMA, Grammy and probably more ACMs so why not billboard? >.<)
    I think we're just might be setting ourselves up for a disappointment again.... and I thought after 2009 it wouldn't get any worse.
    I think you might be going by the wrong list, unless I am confused. lol Taylor was behind Carrie on the Pollstar touring list at the end of the year. Carrie came in ahead of her for USA touring. I think Billboard awards only go by USA sales, not overseas touring or sales.

Is there a different touring list that Billboard goes by?

Obsessed Carrie Fan undrwood9098's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Taylor was ahead of Carrie WORLDWIDE, but that's because Taylor did shows in Australia and Asia during 2010, while Carrie was in the US and Canada. North America-wise, Carrie was ahead of Taylor on the year-end list.

Concert Stars
    ^ Thanx. That's what I thought.

Taylor will still win the album sales awards--- or else Lady A will win that. But maybe Carrie will at least be nominated.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I think you might be going by the wrong list, unless I am confused. lol Taylor was behind Carrie on the Pollstar touring list at the end of the year. Carrie came in ahead of her for USA touring. I think Billboard awards only go by USA sales, not overseas touring or sales.

Is there a different touring list that Billboard goes by?
    I think I got confused by the general grossing of artists (that include touring gross). Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Thanx. That's what I thought.

Taylor will still win the album sales awards--- or else Lady A will win that. But maybe Carrie will at least be nominated.
    I know it's great just to be nominated but since I'm having a a bit of withdrawal from all these No carrie awards for a year from the industry (not to mention people choice that WE ALWAYS nailed for her)-I think if she loses again, I'll just be UGH. haha
    miss the days when carrie got at least 1 award at an award show. it's even more frustrating so when she's overlooked when she's most deserving.
    hopefully the 4th album era will be a back to normal carrie year. one can always wish

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I think that Carrie would rather have the Preds still playing in May.

Concert Stars
    I know it's great just to be nominated but since I'm having a a bit of withdrawal from all these No carrie awards for a year from the industry (not to mention people choice that WE ALWAYS nailed for her)-I think if she loses again, I'll just be UGH. haha
    miss the days when carrie got at least 1 award at an award show. it's even more frustrating so when she's overlooked when she's most deserving.
    hopefully the 4th album era will be a back to normal carrie year. one can always wish
    me too. I am also frustrated. I thought we had a PCA in the bag at least since it was fanvoted, but that got stolen too.

I am beginning to think 2011 will be a major quest for carrie to win a single award, whether fanvoted or industry. I am convinced she will not win a single industry voted award in 2011. I had hoped for a Dove nom for tH, but not to be.

If the ACMS and CMAS are all about Miranda and Taylor, then it is going to be a real long year for us fans.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    I think that Carrie would rather have the Preds still playing in May.
    true-- but at some point, her career has to be important again too. lol At least I hope so! lol

I do want Mike to make the playoffs though, and do well. I hope the Preds win their first playoff series this year. That would be very nice to see.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Awards do not make the career. She can still be one the top artist and not win another award.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast