Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Like Tree3615Likes

Thread: 'The Champion'

Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    I think you guys are giving way too much credit to the new label. This is all Carrie and Ann. Carrie is the voice of NFL Sunday football; it's bc of her connection that she was asked to write a song and perform it. Am I missing something, what's has the new label done that is so amazing?
    Guess I assumed they had something to do with the roll out and planning of the design and strategic posting of the advertisements of the 4 big words from the chorus on social media before the release. Or do you think Carrie developed her own advertising campaign? I really don't know.

I think you guys are giving way too much credit to the new label. This is all Carrie and Ann. Carrie is the voice of NFL Sunday football; it's bc of her connection that she was asked to write a song and perform it. Am I missing something, what's has the new label done that is so amazing?
    Thank you!!

Concert Stars
    It was so awesome to see The Champion played at halftime tonight during the Eagles Playoff game! It flowed so nicely with the video montage of the highlights of the game. I bet the fans of both teams loved it.

Gosh it is going to be amazing to see the real video for the SuperBowl! Do you guys think Ludacris will be in the video too? Hope so.
    ethelu, rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Agreed. Manchs, you need to take some responsibility for your passive-aggressive posts on a country-pop artist's unofficial fan forum.
    LOL!!! I miss you.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Thank you, PK, that is exactly what I was wondering!!!
    I've been blasting it in my car which has an equalizer so I'm able to minimize the processing and she sounds fantastic!
    rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maryleepj View Post
    Guess I assumed they had something to do with the roll out and planning of the design and strategic posting of the advertisements of the 4 big words from the chorus on social media before the release. Or do you think Carrie developed her own advertising campaign? I really don't know.
    Hard to be sure - but my guess would be that it's coming mainly from the HQ (Ann Edelblute's management company). I certainly wouldn't underestimate that lady's role in Carrie's career growth.
    Hil, liz278, teesharky and 9 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    While it's too early to judge how this label will support Carrie's future albums, I think that they do deserve a certain amount of credit. I am just guessing but I have to assume that it is because of the label's support which allowed this to be released as a single. I highly doubt that NBC or Ann's management company jumped into direct contracts with iTunes/Spotify/Vevo etc...

Edit: But I guess, Faraway is right, I shouldn't underestimate Ann. : )
    liz278, Hil, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    This is truly amazing! I am sure that no one anticipated that this song, with no real promo (iTunes banner, morning /talk show appearances etc..) and being just a one-off event promo, was going to top the iTunes chart.

I can't believe how this song is connecting with people. Who would have thought that her association with NBC football would lead her to her second all-genre #1. lol.

I always thought that Carrie had the perfect voice for a rap collaboration. I am very glad that it turned out to be her song and not just one that someone asked her to feature on. Once I get past the voice processing, I can appreciate that the producer still allowed her vocals to be front and centre even with so much going on in the background. My favorite part is when Luda says "Carrie" and then Carrie just rips into "I am Invincible, Unbreakable, Unstoppable, Unshakeable, They knock me down, I get up again, I am The Champion".

Concert Stars
    ^ Good point! This song is doing this on its own merit. There is no Big Banner on iTunes to advertise it, and no promo really except the snippets on the NFL playoffs etc. But the big Super Bowl promo and Olympics etc hasn't really kicked in yet.

So right now-- the song is SLAYING for 3 reasons: !. It's Own merit-- it is a GREAT song and people are loving it! 2. Carrie Underwood has been AWOL for a long time and people miss her, so that plays into it. 3. Ludacris has a lot of fans too- and the feedback I am getting from hiphop fans is positive so far. No one is really hating on Carrie thankfully. Well- probably jealous stans of other fanbases but not his fans.

This is such an unexpected Perfect Storm to kick off the new year and new era! Never in my life did I expect this song to even go on iTunes, much less hit no! haha What a great surprise!

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I thought Triggers article was pretty good. He really gave her credit for what the song was made for. He just doesn't want it on Country. He also didn't like the transmogrified (big word) vocals, and wondered why her own wonderful vocals were so heavily changed. Can someone give me the positive reason for that, since Carrie has normally been against auto tune? Just wondering. I actually like it!
    I thought Triggers article was good too. However, he should be afraid, very afraid..... Country radio has shown they sold their soul a long time ago so when they see how this is doing on the iTunes chart I won't be surprised if we start hearing it on country radio. There is clearly no defending this as a country song but if this ever made it to the top of the country charts, it would be sweet revenge for SITW!
    liz278, rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Carrie Guru
    ^^BTW Tee, the highest I saw it on Canadian iTunes was #6. It's back down to #7 now. However on Vevo it's up to #17 trending.
    teesharky, Hil, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    You have to believe that UMG got Carrie this because if it was SONY it won't be.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    ^^BTW Tee, the highest I saw it on Canadian iTunes was #6. It's back down to #7 now. However on Vevo it's up to #17 trending.
    Thanks!! Thatís still very good though!!
    opry051008, rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    I love the idea of all the Carrie haters out there logging on to iTunes and seeing her nane at no1. Lol Revenge is a dessert best served cold. Lol

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Thanks!! Thatís still very good though!!
    Yes, very very good because Canada isn't even a big football audience so most who purchased probably never even saw the football promo.
    rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    He seems angry about a lot of things, but be so exhausting lol.
    He can be witty and perceptive - but there can also be a tone in his comments that make me uneasy about his attitude (for example, his treatment of Ludacris in that article, and his veiled disdain for some perceived political and social stands - which runs counter to his presumed support for the Roots sector). His recent personalized and sexual comments on Walker Hayes were pretty disgusting - and way out of place in a music review.

Basically, I see him as Mainstream-leaning at heart, but wanting a different Mainstream than the present one. Many of his commenters give the same impression. I see that apparent aim of a 'takeover' as unrealistic - his 'brave new Mainstream' would come under the same commercial pressures as the present one, and soon grow similar to it. The two sectors have to coexist, with their different priorities and different responses to their respective demands. I agree that a lot of very disappointing material is currently getting corporate recognition, and a lot of good material is being ignored - but I'd like him to be more encouraging of those commercial artists who are striving to improve their sector, without abandoning it. Carrie, Miranda and Margo are examples of people that he blows hot and cold on - sometimes supportive, but often preferring to pick holes in. You can't expect a reviewer to take a fan view and ignore the downside - but it's a question of emphasis, and the reviewer's own agenda shouldn't lead him into blanket judgments that too often reflect his broad-brush view of the sector, at the expense of the detail in the work being reviewed
    rainbow1, ethelu, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    First the NHL used Carrie's national anthem performance to promote the NHL playoffs, now the NFL will use her song for the Superbowl and it will also be used for the upcoming Olympic Games.

Carrie RULES the tv promo sportsworld! lol.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Good point! This song is doing this on its own merit. There is no Big Banner on iTunes to advertise it, and no promo really except the snippets on the NFL playoffs etc. But the big Super Bowl promo and Olympics etc hasn't really kicked in yet.

So right now-- the song is SLAYING for 3 reasons: !. It's Own merit-- it is a GREAT song and people are loving it! 2. Carrie Underwood has been AWOL for a long time and people miss her, so that plays into it. 3. Ludacris has a lot of fans too- and the feedback I am getting from hiphop fans is positive so far. No one is really hating on Carrie thankfully. Well- probably jealous stans of other fanbases but not his fans.

This is such an unexpected Perfect Storm to kick off the new year and new era! Never in my life did I expect this song to even go on iTunes, much less hit no! haha What a great surprise!
    I really never expected the success of this either!!Iím just so happy that she gets such a well deserved #1 even if itís only on ITunes,but itís still a well deserved number 1 for her after being away for so long & after all of her injuries!!From the comments that Iíve read on social media,a lot of them are positive,but there will always be negative ones that either hate the song,Carrieís voice,Ludacrisí part in the song or the fact that to them,it doesnít sound country enough but I try to ignore those & focus more on the positive ones that actually really do love the song.The last part is still hard for me to wrap my head around because in my own mind,I never expected hip hop fans to love a song that he does with an artist that doesnít do a lot of collaborations like this on a normal basis,but who am I to say who likes what kind of music and who doesnít?Carrie really surprised a lot of people on this one!!As I have learned over the course of this past year,surprises sometimes turn out to be really amazing&special and this one really does fall under that category of amazing & special surprises!!
    maryleepj, ethelu, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    While it's too early to judge how this label will support Carrie's future albums, I think that they do deserve a certain amount of credit. I am just guessing but I have to assume that it is because of the label's support which allowed this to be released as a single. I highly doubt that NBC or Ann's management company jumped into direct contracts with iTunes/Spotify/Vevo etc...

Edit: But I guess, Faraway is right, I shouldn't underestimate Ann. : )
    I was thinking primarily of the advertising - but you're certainly right that UMG have jumped at the chance to make this a single. As I said earlier, they are distributing it in the UK on Virgin EMI - a Pop sector flagship that puts Carrie in Elton John/George Michael territory at home, and Katy Perry/Rihanna company for overseas artists. It's an ambitious choice for this market - and I'd be cautious about how far it might lead (her only previous song to chart modestly as a single in the UK was handled by RCA, a Sony Group sister label to Arista)

If the Champion makes headway on radio in the US (as more than a Superbowl speciality number, and enters the month by month creep around the back road boys, queuing for their moment at Airplay chart topping - that will also fall to UMG staff to attempt). Cindy Mabe's teams have been good at this - but again caution is needed. An awful lot of this work depends on personal contacts between the pitchers and the radio staff. It's Sony folks who have built this image of Carrie as the radio golden girl up - and they no longer have an interest in Carrie. (I part company with many posters on this point - the Arista team were darn good at this - 23 top 3 successes - or whatever it was, is something most artists would die for - and it is very much down to careful manipulation.) The Capitol team now have to build up the Carrie image with their own contacts - the relationships are different, and can't be assumed to just pick up where Sony left off. And we shouldn't forget, UMG have a bigger pool of contenders to fight for, most of them male.

I'll leave that side of the business to the avid chart watchers - Mainstream radio is about as fascinating to me as a week old herring left at the back of the fridge. My priority is the album, what it sounds like, what mix is on it, and how the likely gems will balance the chosen singles. But I wish her and you every success with your hopes for the chart singles - though my tip would be to regard HCS as the main barometer for the future.
    txacar, Hil, rainbow1 and 4 others like this.

Ty
    Are they playing "The Champion" on the non-NBC broadcasts of football? I know they aired it during the halftime of the NBC game, but what about the one airing now on CBS?

•  
    Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast