Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Like Tree7448Likes

Thread: 'The Champion'

Concert Stars
    Guys--this LA Times article is interesting. It says it will be THE anthem for the Olympics- so they must not be using the Shana song as much? Also it says they liked it so much they decided to use it for both the Super Bowl and Olympics. That is so cool!

Carrie Underwood-Ludacris anthem ‘The Champion’ set for Super Bowl, Winter Olympics on NBC

Ludacris and Carrie Underwood. (Robyn Beck / AFP / Getty Images, left; Michael Loccisano / Getty Images, right)
    Sure, Pink is slated to sing the national anthem on Super Bowl Sunday, but Carrie Underwood and Ludacris will kick off the show with a video for “The Champion,” a new song that also will be the anthem for this year’s Winter Olympics.
    “When we were writing ‘The Champion,’ our main focus was to celebrate athletes at the top of their game, but we also wanted the song to resonate with people in their everyday lives,” Underwood said in a statement from NBC, which will broadcast the Winter Games from South Korea starting Feb. 9 as well as Super Bowl LII on Feb. 4.
    Christopher “Ludacris” Bridges, who is featured on the track, and Underwood, the face and voice of NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” for the past five seasons, wrote the song with Brett James and Chris DeStefano.
    Pink will sing the national anthem before Super Bowl LII»
    “When we met with Carrie last year to discuss the Super Bowl open, we each brought ideas. Carrie presented first. After she spoke, we looked at each other and said, ‘That’s the one,’ ” Fred Gaudelli, executive producer of “Sunday Night Football” and the Super Bowl LII show, said in a statement. “Later on, our Olympics producers listened to ‘The Champion’ and decided that it would be a perfect complement for our Winter Games coverage.”
    The video was filmed last year, before Underwood took a serious fall at her home and suffered a broken wrist, an injury she says altered the appearance of her face. Until then, check out the lyric video below. Yes, Underwood does sing, “I’m-a own ya.”
    txacar, lizcarlo, ethelu and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Guys--this LA Times article is interesting. It says it will be THE anthem for the Olympics- so they must not be using the Shana song as much? Also it says they liked it so much they decided to use it for both the Super Bowl and Olympics. That is so cool!

Carrie Underwood-Ludacris anthem ‘The Champion’ set for Super Bowl, Winter Olympics on NBC

Ludacris and Carrie Underwood. (Robyn Beck / AFP / Getty Images, left; Michael Loccisano / Getty Images, right)
    Sure, Pink is slated to sing the national anthem on Super Bowl Sunday, but Carrie Underwood and Ludacris will kick off the show with a video for “The Champion,” a new song that also will be the anthem for this year’s Winter Olympics.
    “When we were writing ‘The Champion,’ our main focus was to celebrate athletes at the top of their game, but we also wanted the song to resonate with people in their everyday lives,” Underwood said in a statement from NBC, which will broadcast the Winter Games from South Korea starting Feb. 9 as well as Super Bowl LII on Feb. 4.
    Christopher “Ludacris” Bridges, who is featured on the track, and Underwood, the face and voice of NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” for the past five seasons, wrote the song with Brett James and Chris DeStefano.
    “When we met with Carrie last year to discuss the Super Bowl open, we each brought ideas. Carrie presented first. After she spoke, we looked at each other and said, ‘That’s the one,’ ” Fred Gaudelli, executive producer of “Sunday Night Football” and the Super Bowl LII show, said in a statement. “Later on, our Olympics producers listened to ‘The Champion’ and decided that it would be a perfect complement for our Winter Games coverage.”
    The video was filmed last year, before Underwood took a serious fall at her home and suffered a broken wrist, an injury she says altered the appearance of her face. Until then, check out the lyric video below. Yes, Underwood does sing, “I’m-a own ya.”
    So awesome Carrie wrote song they liked it so much to use for Super Bowl and Olympics.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Always liked how Carrie sings “Agiiin”..
    BTW, this is nother hit for the Carrie+Brett+Chris Team.. Really good at making Inspirational songs.. First SITW, and now this! [insert applause here]

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by NEILHUNK View Post
    Hey guys I wonder if any of the country radios has played the song? How has their reception been?
    I checked both San Antonio country radio stations playlists for today. The Champion is not being played on either station. One station had a lot of Carrie, so maybe there were a lot of requests and they played other Carrie songs instead. The other station played her once all day - pitiful! Maybe once the stations see that how popular The Champion is, they will add it.

Is anyone else hearing it on country radio?
    oldyfan likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I just got on the computer to check how things are going. Congrats to Carrie for the #1 on ITunes!!!!!!! I kind of had it in my mind that the chances were good that they might use it for the Olympics. So happy to hear they will. I can't wait until they start and we can hear her song during them. Way to go Carrie, the Queen!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I thought some might like to know that (while Capitol Nashville retain the parent rights) this song is being distributed here by Virgin EMI (a relatively new UMG Pop imprint, which also distributes a slew of well known artists)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_EMI_Records

It's available on Amazon Unlimited here, but not Amazon Prime (which may somewhat restrict streaming - though may also encourage actual sales.) Downloads cost 99p

Sales figures here are unlikely to be near the range you're seeing in the US, as awareness of the Superbowl and its publicity build up is low here, and radio exposure has so far been limited. But, the upside is that nearly all sales are likely to stem from personal interest in Carrie, which is definitely growing. l'm afraid I didn't see the Amazon UK sales rankings earlier in the day (when its main demographic may have been most active). The highest I saw, two or three hours ago, were 46th in Pop, and around 140th all genre - but that is likely to have been well after any initial early sales peak. (It doesn't seem to be listed at all in the more specialized Country or Rap/Hip Hop fields). If Radio 2 play the song on Saturday and Sunday, when audiences tend to be high, the first day figures may well be exceeded.
    Hil, oldyfan, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Imagine if Michael Phelps was somehow swimming in the Winter Olympics. haha They would play the Champion over and over during all his wins....and he loves Rap music too so I bet he would like this song.

Is there a Ringer on Team USA this year? Perhaps Nathan Chen for the Men's Figure Skating? Or that female American skier who has been winning a lot? Or-- even that new female skater that shocked everyone at US Nationals last week? She has mad skills.
    ethelu, Hil, oldyfan and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for that info! Just curious: Do they show the pre-game stuff for the Superbowl in the UK- or just the Gam? I was curious if the opening video would be shown overseas?

But the other question is whether the song will be used overseas for Olympic promo on your stations too- or just in the USA? With Ludacris on it-- I suppose it might be shown overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I thought some might like to know that (while Capitol Nashville retain the parent rights) this song is being distributed here by Virgin EMI (a relatively new UMG Pop imprint, which also distributes a slew of well known artists)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_EMI_Records

It's available on Amazon Unlimited here, but not Amazon Prime (which may somewhat restrict streaming - though may also encourage actual sales.) Downloads cost 99p

Sales figures here are unlikely to be near the range you're seeing in the US, as awareness of the Superbowl and its publicity build up is low here, and radio exposure has so far been limited. But, the upside is that nearly all sales are likely to stem from personal interest in Carrie, which is definitely growing. l'm afraid I didn't see the Amazon UK sales rankings earlier in the day (when its main demographic may have been most active). The highest I saw, two or three hours ago, were 46th in Pop, and around 140th all genre - but that is likely to have been well after any initial early sales peak. (It doesn't seem to be listed at all in the more specialized Country or Rap/Hip Hop fields). If Radio 2 play the song on Saturday and Sunday, when audiences tend to be high, the first day figures may well be exceeded.
    sd20, Hil, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

Thanks for that info! Just curious: Do they show the pre-game stuff for the Superbowl in the UK- or just the Gam? I was curious if the opening video would be shown overseas?

But the other question is whether the song will be used overseas for Olympic promo on your stations too- or just in the USA? With Ludacris on it-- I suppose it might be shown overseas.
    The Superbowl isn't really watched in the UK. It's primarily a US event.
    Hil, Farawayhills, oldyfan and 2 others like this.

I can't believe this! Had to come back just to say this! She's achieved what Justin Timberlake and Katy Perry failed to do with their lead singles, with this completely random song that's not even her genre, without a video (like in JT's case) or a Grammy performance (like in KP's case)!

I literally thought it would do nothing and bomb No 1!!!
    Last edited by clh_hilary; 01-13-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    Claire2004, Hil, liz278 and 11 others like this.

I like the fact that Christopher “Ludacris” Bridges is given a writing credit (which not all sites have reported). The lines in his verse use an acrostic play on letters making up the word "Champion" - a long standing folk device, which fits well into modern Rap, and I like the contrast in music, as the powerful production that marks the chorus drops to a gentler background wave to accompany his voice. Also I like the way he calls "Carrie" at the changeover of their parts - we hear that a lot in Bluegrass,for example, but much less in the Mainstream - also the less obvious counter singing he introduces in the background towards the end of the song.
    For me, there's quite a contrast between his role here, and what we heard in either Hunt's role in "Heartbeat" and Carrie's own, rather underused role, in Urban's "Fighter". I think it was a smart choice on Carrie's part to give him that more active prominence in the featured guest role, as I think his part adds a lot to the atmosphere of the song, and increases its experimental feel in the context of Carrie's career.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    I can't believe this! Had to come back just to say this! She's achieved what Justin Timberlake and Katy Perry failed to do with their lead singles, with this completely random song that's not even her genre, without a video (like in JT's case) or a Grammy performance (like in KP's case)!

I literally it would do nothing and bomb No 1!!!
    Haven't heard from you in an age! Welcome back!
    oldyfan, rainbow1, ethelu and 5 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks_weyn View Post
    Always liked how Carrie sings “Agiiin”..
    BTW, this is nother hit for the Carrie+Brett+Chris Team.. Really good at making Inspirational songs.. First SITW, and now this! [insert applause here]
    That "Agiiin" , is straight Okie talk!!! LOL!!
    oldyfan, jaks_weyn, txacar and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    311,480 views on Youtube from day 1 and Spotify is saying 1,959 streams. I'm assuming the Spotify streams just haven't updated because that seems really low for a new song that was featured in the top 10 of the New Music Friday playlist.

Not sure about the first day, but Smoke Break had just over 1 million views on YT and 744k streams on Spotify after its first full week.
    oldyfan, rainbow1, ethelu and 6 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan angeliccarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I wasn't even thinking about this song charting and WOW, # 1 on I-tunes! Go Carrie! I bought it from Amazon and now I'm streaming it from Apple Music.

Needless to say, I LOVE this song! I think most people can and will relate to it.
    oldyfan, rainbow1, ethelu and 6 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I read that Carrie herself, asked for Ludacris!
    ethelu, txacar, Suellen and 9 others like this.

Spotify doesn’t update usually until early morning

Still getting dark green updates

Obsessed Carrie Fan luxoricious's Avatar
    I cannot believe how great this is doing!
    I mean, the song is amazing, but I think none of us ever thought a song that was released this low key would even crack the top 10 on itunes (well, at least I never thought about it).
    Needless to say how proud I am of Carrie, she so deserved every bit of success she has.
    Hil, ethelu, oldyfan and 7 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Holy sh*t. There is a 25% gap between the two songs.

1- Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris) 1.0000
    2- Bruno Mars - Finesse (Remix) [feat. Cardi B] 0.7522

Ultimate Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Daraebe View Post
    Spotify doesn’t update usually until early morning

Still getting dark green updates
    TC is super strong in iTunes sales! The dark green updates is one indication of increasing sales, where this indicates a stronger sale increase than a light green update. On top of all dark green updates, all other dark green updates have had a decreasing number which means TC rate of increase is higher than the dark green updates of other songs. Simply put, TC sales are zooming and the song has not been shown on a NFL playoff game yet! WOW!

•  
    Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast