Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Week Ending May 20, 2012. Albums: Back-To-Back Idols (from Chart Watch)

Ultimate Carrie Fan

Week Ending May 20, 2012. Albums: Back-To-Back Idols (from Chart Watch)

Week Ending May 20, 2012. Albums: Back-To-Back Idols
    By Paul Grein | Chart Watch

Adam Lambert's Trespassing enters The Billboard 200 at #1, displacing Carrie Underwood's Blown Away. This marks the first time that artists who rose to fame on American Idol have had back-to-back #1 albums. Lambert was the runner-up on Season 8. Underwood was the winner on Season 4.

Lambert is the second Idol runner-up to land a #1 album, following Clay Aiken. One other Idol "loser" has topped the chart: Chris Daughtry, who finished fourth in Season 4.

Lambert's 2009 debut album For Your Entertainment debuted and peaked at #3. But it sold more than twice as many copies in its first week (198K) as Trespassing did this week (77K). Two factors explain the disparity. For Your Entertainment was released in November, when the holiday sales season is heating up. Also, Lambert's Idol fame was more immediate then.

The sales tally for Trespassing is the slimmest for a #1 album since Adele's 21 held the top spot with sales of just 76K in August. It's the most anemic for an album debuting at #1 since Amos Lee's Mission Bell opened with sales of just 40K in January 2011.

Trespassing sold 29K digital copies (included in the overall tally), which puts it at #1 on Top Digital Albums.

"Whataya Want From Me," the biggest hit from For Your Entertainment, cracked the top 10 in May 2010 and received a Grammy nomination for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. It has sold 1,905,000 copies to date. The title track from the new album enters Hot Digital Songs at #178.

Blown Away drops to #3 after two weeks at #1. It jumps to #10 on Nielsen SoundScan's year-to-date album sales chart. It's the best-selling album so far this year by a "core" country artist. (Lionel Richie being a non-"core" country artist. See next item.)

Lionel Richie's Tuskegee this week pulls ahead of Whitney Houston's Whitney: The Greatest Hits to become the second best-selling album so far in 2011. (Adele's 21 is way out front.) At the beginning of this year, no one would predicted that either Houston or Richie would have a best-seller. Richie got one via a music/TV crossover triumph that must be deeply gratifying. Houston got one via a tragedy that is still hard to comprehend.

Link to article: Week Ending May 20, 2012. Albums: Back-To-Back Idols | Chart Watch (NEW) - Yahoo! Music

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Information on Donna Summer's albums:

In the days after her death, disco diva Donna Summer
was back on the charts, with 1979's greatest hits double-disc On the Radio running up to #74 (6,000), followed by three other singles compilations at #90 (5,000), #95 (5,000) and #194 (2,000).
    opry051008 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'm disappointed to discover Carrie has fallen to #3 on the charts. I hope she will regain the top spot soon. Please purchase more physical copies of Blown Away, if you can. Carrie needs our support.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Cannot believe that a gay guy that is just a speck compared to Carrie and her monster voice would out sell her with those numbers. Unless this is normal numbers for Carrie on weeks 2 and 3.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting. I would love to see Carrie's Blown Away back in the #1 slot. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie&Taylor View Post
    Cannot believe that a gay guy that is just a speck compared to Carrie and her monster voice would out sell her with those numbers. Unless this is normal numbers for Carrie on weeks 2 and 3.
    Ugh. I'll just keep my mouth shut and not say something that gets me banned.

Concert Stars
    Blown Away is still the #1 album in Country; will buy another copy this week.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

BTW Mayer will be #1 next week with sales of 225-250k according to Hits. He'll probably stay at the top for two weeks. I expect Adele to make a return to the top. She has some sort of NBC concert special coming up.
    opry051008 likes this.

WK 1-11/09/09 317,695 BA: 267k
    WK 2-11/16/09 128,443 446,254 BA: 120k 387k
    WK 3-11/23/09 86,218 532,472 BA: 54k 441k

Considering BA was released in May with no benefit of 4th quarter, it is less than 95k below what PO was selling in it's 3rd week.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The guy's name is Adam, and he is a very talented fellow. He isn't a speck, nor is he just defined by his sexuality. He's a human being. His voice also happens to be pretty "monster" itself. You should try actually listening to his music...you might like it.

Anyway, congrats to Adam. I wasn't sure he would pull it off with Carrie and Adele as competition. The music industry is in a truly terrible place, though, when 77k gets someone a #1 album. It really goes to show how great Carrie's first week sales numbers were in this day and age. Carrie sitting at third in her third week isn't bad at all. The album is selling very well. She should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    The guy's name is Adam, and he is a very talented fellow. He isn't a speck, nor is he just defined by his sexuality. He's a human being. His voice also happens to be pretty "monster" itself. You should try actually listening to his music...you might like it.

Anyway, congrats to Adam. I wasn't sure he would pull it off with Carrie and Adele as competition. The music industry is in a truly terrible place, though, when 77k gets someone a #1 album. It really goes to show how great Carrie's first week sales numbers were in this day and age. Carrie sitting at third in her third week isn't bad at all. The album is selling very well. She should be proud.
    This x100000000000000.

I like Adam's new album. I like Adele's album. I LOVE Carrie's album. I think they all deserve to be where they are, as they are all really great singers, unlike most artists today. Staying in the top 3 for her third week is great for Carrie. Think about it, this is where PO was in its second week, and did that sell badly? Not at all. I think Carrie's doing great still.

Back to how this relates to your post at all, I also think Adam really deserves to be #1. 77k isn't such a huge number, but he still deserves to sit atop the billboard throne. (Wow, that sounded so cheesy..) Adam's voice is monstrous, and he hits notes sometimes that I didn't even know existed. As a person, I like him too. He's very down to earth most of the time. I'm glad he hit #1 this time and hope the album does really well. (However, if he stayed 1 or more copy below Carrie, I'd be ever so happy. )

Also, Adam's huge. Lots of people know about him, and his debut single is almost 2x platinum, not bad for a speck.

Carrie Follower
    Thanks for this. I don't post much, just a lurker. Not an Adam fan, But that comment was so unnecessary. So thank you.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Here are the exact sales numbers for the top 50 albums of this past week.

Carrie Guru
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post

Adam's type of music may not be the type you like (not mine either), but that first sentence is totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post

We don't have the "like" option anymore, so I'll just post, thank you!

Yikes at Owl City debuting at #48. I know it's only an EP, but they have a platinum album and a multi-platinum cross-over, international hit. I'm surprised they didn't hit the top 10/20.

Carrie's sales are good though. Hopefully she sells at least 40k next week too.

^^The Billboard Music Awards effect will be reflected on the week 4 sales tally, right? Thanks!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    ^^The Billboard Music Awards effect will be reflected on the week 4 sales tally, right? Thanks!
    Yes, that's correct. And BA is doing quite well on iTunes, with only debut albums ahead of it at last check.

Junior Carrie Follower abdulmajeed's Avatar

This! (A BILLION TIMES)

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast