Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 443
Like Tree1251Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - New Album Era

  1. #41
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    74,509
    Concert Stars
    I would love for Carrie to write a really meaningful, relevant song like Harry Styles did in Sign of the Times, or KAty Perry's Rhthym song. Both are about social issues without being political per se, so they are non-offensive.

    Carrie did a wonderful job with "Keep Us Safe"-- but sadly the world never heard it was one of those ACM limited release songs that never got to radio etc. But the writing and vocals were stellar.

    Anyway-- with all the craziness in the world, (ISIS, etc)--this is a really good time for Carrie to venture out and write a really meaningful, impactful song that could help inspire people or make them reflect, etc. Not a religious song: a powerful social message song of hope/peace, etc- perhaps. But dark is good too.
    Suellen and Josh like this.

  • #42
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    131
    I will try to keep it on topic.. but yeah I wasn't around to see this joke before so I didn't get it. but one of the ONLY things I've ever been bothered by in her music was the killing. I know she has to have some kind of edge to her music, and I get how it may seem understandable in those situations, but violence is def something I'm not okay with. I do hope she gravitates away from the murder-y songs.


    Edit: also i like how jokes about poisoning/murder are deemed funny among the carebearz here but oh well ; ) carrie does agree to it so whatev. i just wonder sometimes if just a few things were changed and someone else sung them, if people would still be okay with it.

  • #43
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I would love for Carrie to write a really meaningful, relevant song like Harry Styles did in Sign of the Times, or KAty Perry's Rhthym song. Both are about social issues without being political per se, so they are non-offensive.

    Carrie did a wonderful job with "Keep Us Safe"-- but sadly the world never heard it was one of those ACM limited release songs that never got to radio etc. But the writing and vocals were stellar.

    Anyway-- with all the craziness in the world, (ISIS, etc)--this is a really good time for Carrie to venture out and write a really meaningful, impactful song that could help inspire people or make them reflect, etc. Not a religious song: a powerful social message song of hope/peace, etc- perhaps. But dark is good too.
    You know, I really want her to sing SotT with Harry. I agree it's a time when we need that meaningful music though.
    teesharky likes this.

  • #44
    Insane Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,842
    Murder ballads have always been an element in Country Music (the theme goes back centuries, in fact, and came over with the first settlers from the British Isles). Country Music reflects life, and violent death is a part of reality, however deplorable that fact is. l would support the theme continuing to play a part in the music - though I would agree that it has to be used with care, because of its social implications. Songs that recount a man murdering a woman, in a matter-of-fact way (such as Jimmie Rodgers' "Blue Yodel No 1" - also known as "T for Texas" - and Johnny Cash's "Delia''s Gone") are among Country Music's classics - but would seldom be imitated today, at least in the Mainstream, because of their apparent cold acceptance of "done me wrong" as an excuse for killing. But the killing theme is still quite often used, in women's songs, often with the justification that it's seen as an escape from violence or abuse.

    One of my favourite songs - Tanya Tucker's "Blood Red and Going Down" - recounts a child witnessing her father killing her mother and the mother's lover - it's a stark story, but seriously recounted through the eyes of a ten year old, who understands more than her father thinks she does.
    Margaret Durante - who now sings under the name Maggie Rose - took quite a risk as a young Mainstream singer, by covering a Lisa Carver song, "Whiskey and a Gun", about a double killing, which ends with the woman recounting her story in the execution chamber.
    A recent example - Gretchen Peters' "Blackbirds" - recounts a woman murdering her drunken brother, with the story line strongly suggesting, without actually stating, a history of incest, going back to their father's example. This song was awarded at the British CMAs.
    Such songs are disturbing, but I feel, do have a valid place in the genre.

    Carrie's three or four killing songs are not, in my opinion, enough to stereotype her into that theme (If she has a risk of being stereotyped, or pigeon-holed, I would say it lies in the more general area of singing "power vocal" hits, with heavy production and belted choruses - something that many of her fan base love, but which can prove divisive outside.)
    Contrary to the killing songs being the problem, I would not want her to be identified with lightly themed, rather clichéd songs, such as "All American Girl". The killing songs, I would say, have actually been among her best - they allow her to tackle more challenging themes, with dramatic music and mood impact, while honouring a longstanding tradition within the genre. Clearly, there are other possibilities for serious and challenging songs, and I'm not suggesting that death should predominate - but I would not be averse to another one of that type being included.
    txacar, gna, Claire2004 and 7 others like this.

  • #45
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    131
    I guess when you put it that way, I can't argue with you. I know it's part of the history and that it's part of life, sadly. But, idk.. it's a personal thing lol. I just grew up with way too much violence and abuse around me, including things happening like what someone made a joke about. Sorry if I seem too offended! I'm not even saying her songs about this are really bad though and I like that she tackles these subjects. But, I just hope she avoids these songs in the future if possible! Other than that, I almost expect it from her by now.
    Farawayhills likes this.

  • #46
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Murder ballads have always been an element in Country Music (the theme goes back centuries, in fact, and came over with the first settlers from the British Isles). Country Music reflects life, and violent death is a part of reality, however deplorable that fact is. l would support the theme continuing to play a part in the music - though I would agree that it has to be used with care, because of its social implications. Songs that recount a man murdering a woman, in a matter-of-fact way (such as Jimmie Rodgers' "Blue Yodel No 1" - also known as "T for Texas" - and Johnny Cash's "Delia''s Gone") are among Country Music's classics - but would seldom be imitated today, at least in the Mainstream, because of their apparent cold acceptance of "done me wrong" as an excuse for killing. But the killing theme is still quite often used, in women's songs, often with the justification that it's seen as an escape from violence or abuse.

    One of my favourite songs - Tanya Tucker's "Blood Red and Going Down" - recounts a child witnessing her father killing her mother and the mother's lover - it's a stark story, but seriously recounted through the eyes of a ten year old, who understands more than her father thinks she does.
    Margaret Durante - who now sings under the name Maggie Rose - took quite a risk as a young Mainstream singer, by covering a Lisa Carver song, "Whiskey and a Gun", about a double killing, which ends with the woman recounting her story in the execution chamber.
    A recent example - Gretchen Peters' "Blackbirds" - recounts a woman murdering her drunken brother, with the story line strongly suggesting, without actually stating, a history of incest, going back to their father's example. This song was awarded at the British CMAs.
    Such songs are disturbing, but I feel, do have a valid place in the genre.

    Carrie's three or four killing songs are not, in my opinion, enough to stereotype her into that theme (If she has a risk of being stereotyped, or pigeon-holed, I would say it lies in the more general area of singing "power vocal" hits, with heavy production and belted choruses - something that many of her fan base love, but which can prove divisive outside.)
    Contrary to the killing songs being the problem, I would not want her to be identified with lightly themed, rather clichéd songs, such as "All American Girl". The killing songs, I would say, have actually been among her best - they allow her to tackle more challenging themes, with dramatic music and mood impact, while honouring a longstanding tradition within the genre. Clearly, there are other possibilities for serious and challenging songs, and I'm not suggesting that death should predominate - but I would not be averse to another one of that type being included.
    I always enjoy reading your knowledgeable posts, Farawayhills, but I really have to disagree with you here.

    No matter how much these songs honour the country music tradition, casual listeners have already starting to notice she's been singing about these killing/murder songs in 2 albums back-to-back. Having more of these in the third album in a row will be overkill, imo.

    Look at her boy-basher songs for example, technically she didn't even have that many of those songs, but because those singles were some of her most popular ones, people were starting to label her as always singing boy-bashers. It had come to a point where we fans actually needed to explain the difference between all these singles just to argue away that label on her music.

    As for lightly themed songs, she really only has one single like that! She can't always be tackling heavy themes only, imo. Having a good balance is better. I know Carrie loves her dark, horror movies, but I don't think she should keep doing dark themes like death anymore.
    sd20, Carrieslegs84 and oldyfan like this.

  • #47
    Obsessed Carrie Fan PRGuy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,449
    For me, a great song is a great song - regardless of the theme. Two Black Cadillacs, Church Bells, Blown Away and Choctaw County Affair all demanded their spot on Carrie's albums and transcended theme. Same with the boy-bashing songs. If Carrie comes across more that demand similar attention just because they're great, she'll likely record them, and I hope she does.

  • #48
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,296
    ^^ I am so right with you on that one...... I don't care what Carrie sings, she still captures the audience and radio loves her........

  • #49
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    I always enjoy reading your knowledgeable posts, Farawayhills, but I really have to disagree with you here.

    No matter how much these songs honour the country music tradition, casual listeners have already starting to notice she's been singing about these killing/murder songs in 2 albums back-to-back. Having more of these in the third album in a row will be overkill, imo.

    Look at her boy-basher songs for example, technically she didn't even have that many of those songs, but because those singles were some of her most popular ones, people were starting to label her as always singing boy-bashers. It had come to a point where we fans actually needed to explain the difference between all these singles just to argue away that label on her music.

    As for lightly themed songs, she really only has one single like that! She can't always be tackling heavy themes only, imo. Having a good balance is better. I know Carrie loves her dark, horror movies, but I don't think she should keep doing dark themes like death anymore.
    Look,I love Carrie's murder/killing songs just as much as the next Carrie fan,but there has to be a balance of those songs with lighter themed songs because otherwise, you get pigeonholed into only doing one kind of song, and that's what you become known for and I'm beginning to think people think that's all she sings about is killing and murdering men and bashing them because they did her wrong or cheated on her!!Her life is so good right now with the Preds killing it in the playoffs, her recent songwriting awards, her marriage with Mike is good,Isaiah is getting bigger and still just as adorable, and she seems SO happy with the way things are going for her that people being to think Mike is doing something wrong when it's the contrary when it comes to her own life.Her life is so great right now and when you all you sing about is murdering and killing men who have done you wrong and cheated on you, people begin to think that there's nothing good going on in her life right now.There has to be more songs for her to sing other than killing and murdering men and bashing them because they did you wrong and cheated on you because she is such a happy person that it's not crossing over into her music and showing up in her songwriting.I know that she loves her dark, scary and just creepy horror movies and that could come over into her songwriting, but she needs to put other themes other than death on her albums because if you keep doing songs like that on album after album, people begin to think that's all she sings about and we all know there are so many more sides to her than just those songs alone!!

  • #50
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    18,648
    Concert Stars
    Carrie took HB to #1, I don't think she;s being pigeonholed.
    Having said that I hope the next cd is devoid of murder/he cheated songs. :-)
    lolita55 and brenda218 like this.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  • #51
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Carrie took HB to #1, I don't think she;s being pigeonholed.
    Having said that I hope the next cd is devoid of murder/he cheated songs. :-)
    Sorry.I really did forget that she took Heartbeat to #1,so I guess that's really not being pigeonholed.As they say,variety is the spice of life and she needs to have more variety than just the murder/he cheated songs on the next album.I love those types of songs, but there just has to be more to her songs than murder and "he cheated on me" songs.Life is about more than murder and cheating songs and I hope that she showcases that on the next album.
    lolita55 and brenda218 like this.

  • #52
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    18,648
    Concert Stars
    ^ I think it's more of a problem that the murder/cheat songs were what SN released as singles and less that they dominated the cds.Maybe SN pigeonholed Carrie and thought thats all the public wanted? Hoping UMG sees the light and releases songs on other topics.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  • #53
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,924
    I agree on cutting back on the killing, but cheating is at the heart of country music, and I wouldn't mind if she sang more about it. Maybe not sing about damaging property, or, again killing them, but maybe similar to "Fist City", "Jolene" or "You Lie" (Reba's not The Band Perry). Some different reaction to the cheating.
    Carrieslegs84 and lolita55 like this.

  • #54
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,296
    I actually hope there is a little of everything, but pick the ones that are the real gems and play it....... Even one like CCA, go with it and see how it does, knowing Carrie, very well.....

    As for a song from Reba's repertoire would love to hear her take on "Whoever's In New England"..... It captivates the voice and she can soar with the vocals.....

  • #55
    Ultimate Carrie Fan txacar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,306
    I love Carrie's hilarious tongue in cheek murder/cheating/revenge songs. Those songs have the best music and beat -- can't get it out of your head (CB would be the one exception, for me). I also love the songs that address social/common issues (Wasted & BA, alcoholism; NETY, young girls' self esteem; JAD, tragic results of war; Change, helping the less fortunate; Forever Changed, alzheimer's disease; DTFRM, child leaving home; the wisdom of Good in Goodbye; WAW, SWISLY, WCIS, IKYW, etc., love, longing, disappointment).

    I love the variety on Carrie's albums. Perhaps, as Maddkat said earlier, label should take advantage of that variety and give listeners the opportunity to hear her lovely interpretation of different topics. It's going to be interesting to see how UMG treats her albums/releases.

  • #56
    Insane Carrie Fan lizcarlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,612
    I like Carrie murder ballads. She has such diverse discography that I hope they will showcase songs such as FC, GIG, personal song like TGYTIA, LINLYA, SWISLY, WAW ect as singles. She can have songs about sad situations that happens in life like she did in TH, FC and LTG. She could have story song without murder element.

  • #57
    Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    2,855
    Concert Stars
    I find it to be really funny that there are many, many artists out there that have stuck to one theme in their whole careers and people, including their fans, don't seem to complain about that.
    Adele and Taylor Swift, for example: the only thing they sing and write about is love/relationship. Still people continue to buy their music and praise them. And their fans don't seem to complain about that or want a new theme.

    Meanwhile, we are always saying we want Carrie to sing/write about this and that and bla bla bla. However, she has sung and written about virtually every theme possible, still we complain.
    What do we want after all?

  • #58
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    18,648
    Concert Stars
    ^wait I missed it , who was complaining?

    Carrie has such a talent that she can sing anything,most artist can't, and we just want to hear all that.

  • #59
    Insane Carrie Fan liz278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,872
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAddicted View Post
    I find it to be really funny that there are many, many artists out there that have stuck to one theme in their whole careers and people, including their fans, don't seem to complain about that.
    Adele and Taylor Swift, for example: the only thing they sing and write about is love/relationship. Still people continue to buy their music and praise them. And their fans don't seem to complain about that or want a new theme.

    Meanwhile, we are always saying we want Carrie to sing/write about this and that and bla bla bla. However, she has sung and written about virtually every theme possible, still we complain.
    What do we want after all?
    I think we all think that there are a lot of other songs on her albums that should have been released - CCA , WAW, IKYW, etc. She has such diverse albums but it seems that SN picked the same type of songs for singles. So many gems. . .

  • #60
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    216
    Miley Cyrus knows how to start off a lead single apparantly. She had a big campaign leading up to the single release, released the video the same day, and is having a major award show performance the same week. UMG needs to do this for Carrie bc Sony always released at the wrong time. GG still blows my mind bc all of the first chart week success was based off of three days, could you imagine if they would have actually given it the whole week.


  •  
    Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Carrie Underwood Fifth Album?
      By Gabeagabe in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 07-08-2013, 04:58 PM
    2. Carrie Underwood's Album Gets 'Blown Away' Using New App
      By Ann055 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 07-02-2012, 04:54 AM
    3. Carrie Underwood is all grown up on new album
      By LouisaJessie in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM
    4. Carrie Underwood, ‘Blown Away’ – Album Review
      By LouisaJessie in forum Blown Away
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM
    5. Carrie Underwood New Album
      By Liatush in forum Carrie On Youtube
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •