Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: Album 6 Discussion: Writing Has Begun

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^DL didn't feel forced to me at all.And many , many people can relate to a cheating spouse.Many.As many as related to BHC.
    CDS felt forced.That song is just not Carrie in any way.

I didn't mean the theme of the song. I meant some of the lyrics like "All the Ajax in the world ain't gonna clean your dirty laundry" and "And I can tell by the smell of that perfume, it's like forty dollars too cheap". I guess it relates to some people but I can't imagine it being Carrie. She's trying to relate to the working class but idk. Also her accent in it just feels more forced kind of, like purposefully southern. Which is okay, but idk it's cool.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by gocountrymusic View Post
    I feel that lyrics are part is part of the sounds and the way writers (Carrie included) tackled the characters in Smoke Break are in the same style of the way Carrie tackled characters in Temporary Home and Something in the Water despite vastly different subject matter. I don't know how to explain it but that's why I always hear it as a a Carrie plus from bridge to the end where Carrie just lets loose I though was definitely Carrie sounding. I understand the rest of the production was different from Carrie has done, but I still loved even though clearly not everyone else did lol. Dirty Laundry is classic Carrie and a perfect example when Carrie talked about the songs being more laid back. This definitely is an updated and laid back vocal of subject matter she's covered before. I will admit Heartbeat doesn't really have much an identity. It does sound like a Sam Hunt song. Carrie sounds great on it but I do agree even though the song is personal to her (and Mike) the track itself could sound like a Sam Hunt track.

As for WAY, it just always felt so out of place to me on the album. The more contemporary songs were on the first half of the CD so to have it at the end after shifting sound for the whole second half it just never felt it belonged. When I listen to Carrie songs on shuffle I do enjoy it but it is not a song I ever really connected to. I also kinda associated Mutt with my favorite Shania songs so this felt like a letdown too.

This is what I meant. It feels more Shania and less Carrie. More of an early 2000's, outdated single, less of a song that should have been on BA and very odd sounding compared to the rest of it. But, I appreciate her working with Mutt as I missed Shania lol.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAddicted View Post
    It's so great to see how opinions can largely vary. If everyone thought the same, it would be boring.

Who Are You has always been one of my all-time favorite Carrie songs. Ever since I first listened to Blown Away (album). I completely fell in love with it.
    To me, everything is perfect about it: Carrie's vocal performance, the sound/production, the lyrics. Gosh, I LOVE it to death.

The lyrics: I've always seen it as ambiguous, meaning anyone can picture "who" is it, depending on the situation: God, a loved one, a friend, a family member etc. Such an amazing concept. Genius, IMO.
    I've also always pictured the video for it: different people in different situations praising/searching for the "who", while narrates the stories. In the veins of "So Small".

The sound/production and Carrie's vocals: totally my taste. A contemporary, mainstream sound and production that fully allows her to showcase her trademark vocals. It's just SO Carrie.
    Totally destinated to major crossover success. With a proper promotion, it woulda topped all genre-especific charts (country, AC, Adult Pop etc).

Gosh, shoulda been the fifth single.

CarrieAddicted, what artists do you like? Asides from Carrie Underwood that is.

"She's a small-town, hard-working woman just trying to make a living, Working three jobs, feeding four little mouths in a run-down kitchen, you never taking nothing and doing nothing but giving, It's hard to be a good wife and a good mom and a good Christian"/ "He's a big-city, hard-working man just trying to climb the ladder, First generation to go to college instead of driving a tractor, Never had nothing handed to him on a silver platter, It's hard to be a good man, good son, do something good that matters" is Carrie stamp of her songwriting especially the one where Christianity is injected in one of the stories. I could never picture Miranda writing those specific lyrics.

Dirty Laundry lyric "lipstick on your collar, well, it ain't my shade of pink, And I can tell by the smell of that perfume, it's like forty dollars too cheap, And there's a little wine stain on the pocket of your white cotton thread, Well, you drink beer and whiskey, boy, and you know I don't drink red" / "If the neighbors get to asking, I won't cover nothin' up, I'll tell 'em every little detail, how you drug me through the mud, I'm gonna string up your old button-down and slide it on the porch, Just in case you get the nerve to come knockin' on my door" is examples Carrie to me.

Those are songs that's more laid back version of her in my opinion. Carrie has always sang about certain characters having everyday problems like in TH, LTG ect. Miranda writers about herself more than specific characters especially recently.
    Last edited by lizcarlo; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:48 AM.
    gocountrymusic and brenda218 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    Disagree.

If she only keeps releasing same old "classic Carrie" power vocals only, it gets stale. Pretty soon, the only ones left will be her hardcore fans, general public will move on to next fresh artist.
    Even as a fan, I get bored when an artist do the same thing over and over again.

Artists need to continuously keep things fresh and reinvent themselves. Sometimes taking risks pays off, sometimes it doesn't. If it didn't work as well as hoped, it is still not a good reason to fall back into safe zone.
    Well, she "reinvented herself", took a risk and... the result is there for anyone to see: lowest selling and charting album and singles.The general public moved on and left her.

Funny thing: less than a year before Smoke Break, the public was still with her and made SITW (classic Carrie) a massive hit.
    So clearly it was her "fresh sound" (SmB) that made them go away, not the "classic".

Was it worth it? No. Did she even get more awards or recognition for it? No.

Clearly didn't work for her.

Funny thing: "Church Bells" - the only classic Carrie song released as a single was the one nominated for a Grammy and the era's biggest hit. Again proving that "classic Carrie" is still the formula that works.
    Josh likes this.

^ Awards are never going to happen, regardless. We all know that unless she switches to WME, the chances are almost zero. Now we can only hope the new label has better influence.

What went wrong in this era was the choice of singles, not her album. Also the lack of hype and good videos didn't help either. Of all the songs on the album, the label chose a single that was weak in composition and sounded like a Miranda track to lead off the album. Carrie can do this sound, but the song just isn't a strong introduction for that sound for her. Find a better song, don't be so fixated on only releasing songs written by Carrie.

Even then, frankly I think she did well this era. Not outstanding, but well, imo. Maybe we have different expectations.

I still don't agree with you though. You are basically saying Carrie should never take any step outside of her comfort zone. That, to me, if you look at long term and not just short term success, leads to career death. I don't want her to be another Martina McBride.

Also, speaking of critical acclaim, critics generally hate too much belting. If you want to see critical acclaim, classic Carrie sound are never going to win over these critics, tbh.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I didn't mean the theme of the song. I meant some of the lyrics like "All the Ajax in the world ain't gonna clean your dirty laundry" and "And I can tell by the smell of that perfume, it's like forty dollars too cheap". I guess it relates to some people but I can't imagine it being Carrie. She's trying to relate to the working class but idk. Also her accent in it just feels more forced kind of, like purposefully southern. Which is okay, but idk it's cool.
    I don't think the lyrics to BHC or LN exactly relate to Carrie either but like with DL she nails them.As far as trying to relate to the working class....that's the heart of all Carrie's songs & to me DL does that as well as any.

What are your favorite Carrie songs if any?

Well, she "reinvented herself", took a risk and... the result is there for anyone to see: lowest selling and charting album and singles.The general public moved on and left her.

Funny thing: less than a year before Smoke Break, the public was still with her and made SITW (classic Carrie) a massive hit.
    So clearly it was her "fresh sound" (SmB) that made them go away, not the "classic".

Funny thing: "Church Bells" - the only classic Carrie song released as a single was the one nominated for a Grammy and the era's biggest hit. Again proving that "classic Carrie" is still the formula that works.
    imo no one should record using a 'formula'

I suspect the songs on ST worked for Carrie personally and that's why she recorded the songs she did.Big sale numbers and awards that'll never happen anyway aren't everything.I liked sound of SB and hope she continues in that direction.She probably won't with the new label and all but I hope she at least includes at least one song like SB. To do a whole cd of all out wailing would be over the top and not enjoyable.
    Claire2004, txacar, HuiZ and 5 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Had Story Teller been done with UMG I would love to have seen how it would have played out...

From a critic stand point I don't think Carrie would ever win out those folks unless she would stick to all traditional sounds and we know that wont happen. I think that is why ML is the critics darling....

Will be very interesting from here out with the new label... Of course i agree, doing a whole CD with over the top productions would be over kill, but strong songs that let her voice transcend to those natural notes are what i love vocally about her voice.......

Strong powerful gems like SITW is definitely a must.......

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Absolutely, not true. Sorry, but you keep pushing this narrative that is 100% false. Did she sell less, yes, but you consistently want to neglect the fact that every artist is for the most part selling less. She's still hitting platinum, which many artist are not doing. Just in 2016, only 4 albums actually sold 1,000,000 copies, if that doesn't tell you how poor the industry is, then I don't know how you can see it. She still got 4 #1s, were sales lower, again, the same story holds from above. She went on the biggest tour she's ever done, where the general public helped her sell out most of shows, so...they definitely did not move on. She reclaimed Female Vocalist at the CMAs, so whether we like it or not, and I think we do, she got recognized, even if small. Plus the EOTY nominations were victories from a broken awards system. So, I don't know, keep saying she failed, most of us aren't buying it, I don't understand how you arrive at these conclusions.
    gna, rcramer, HuiZ and 9 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I also found it interesting that Carrie when she first heard WAY she looked at it as a love song but then when Mark Bright mentioned to her from a spiritual point of view, that is when all it clicked for her and she fell in love with it....

Interesting that it was written by Mutt Lange, and he felt that the song would have been perfect for Carrie to record.. After hearing it i truly agree.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Lets face it, the awards this year were/should have been Carrie's, but was blocked, so like HuiZ said unless she switched to WME she will continue to be the dominating force and wont win unless the new label has strong clout... We can only stay positive and optimistic......
    rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

I just hope that Storyteller was just her experiment/risky era and now she come back to the country pop rock Carrie! I really don't want another "laid back" "Miranda sound" album.
    Bring back the Cowboy Casanova, Good Girl, Blown Away, Something in the Water, Little Toy Guns, See You Again type of songs please!
    Josh likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Why can't Carrie go a little countrier without being compared to Miranda? Miranda doesn't corner the market on country sounding songs, plus Carrie and Miranda have totally different voices, so she's literally never sounded like Miranda. It's just ridiculous that Carrie can't put a fiddle or something in a song without a Miranda comparison. Can't we just talk about Carrie and her style?

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    Why can't Carrie go a little countrier without being compared to Miranda? Miranda doesn't corner the market on country sounding songs, plus Carrie and Miranda have totally different voices, so she's literally never sounded like Miranda. It's just ridiculous that Carrie can't put a fiddle or something in a song without a Miranda comparison. Can't we just talk about Carrie and her style?
    Exactly.

I love seeing a different side of Carrie, especially with all the different instruments this era.

She can go as country as she want but with her style!! (Wasted, JTTW, DFTRM, Last Name, Just a Dream, ITYS, TH,,etc) .
    And that is just what I want, if you disagree its fine, we all have our own opinions.
    Josh likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    I also found it interesting that Carrie when she first heard WAY she looked at it as a love song but then when Mark Bright mentioned to her from a spiritual point of view, that is when all it clicked for her and she fell in love with it....

Interesting that it was written by Mutt Lange, and he felt that the song would have been perfect for Carrie to record.. After hearing it i truly agree.

I still hear it as a love song

agree it's a ridiculous comparison that people continue to make and I just don't get it.Lambert does not have a lock on all songs country.
    adam1995 and ethelu like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    She can go as country as she want but with her style!! (Wasted, JTTW, DFTRM, Last Name, Just a Dream, ITYS, TH,,etc) .
    And that is just what I want, if you disagree its fine, we all have our own opinions.
    But you were saying that Storyteller was like a Miranda phase, how?

Last Name was not strictly country, more on the rock side, which is fine but why is that ok as country, but not Smoke Break? SB was country, but it was Carrie, because Carrie wrote and sang and played the guitar for it, Miranda did none of that with the song. It's just that this hatred or jealousy or whatever it is with Miranda really bogs down these threads.
    ethelu likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I still hear it as a love song

agree it's a ridiculous comparison that people continue to make and I just don't get it.Lambert does not have a lock on all songs country.
    Yes, personally I'd love to hear Carrie go classic with her sound, at least a little bit. Anytime I've heard her sing "Stand By Your Man" it just seems like a style that would fit her like a glove.
    ethelu and DazzledByCarrie like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Yes, personally I'd love to hear Carrie go classic with her sound, at least a little bit. Anytime I've heard her sing "Stand By Your Man" it just seems like a style that would fit her like a glove.
    I'm not much of a country music fan, but I love do classic country. I would love it if Carrie did something that had that feel.
    adam1995 and DazzledByCarrie like this.

But you were saying that Storyteller was like a Miranda phase, how?

Last Name was not strictly country, more on the rock side, which is fine but why is that ok as country, but not Smoke Break? SB was country, but it was Carrie, because Carrie wrote and sang and played the guitar for it, Miranda did none of that with the song. It's just that this hatred or jealousy or whatever it is with Miranda really bogs down these threads.
    It's called Twang!! Rock sounds much better on Carrie. (I do love some of the twangy songs, tho, now that I'm used to it.) I think she exaggerated the twang in DL because it was a typical back-woods "country" story. Agree with Simon, however. Hope she's back to traditional Carrie on the next album, but would prefer a few more soft songs mixed in.
    simonplay and Josh like this.

•  
    Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast