View Poll Results: What is your favorite song from PO? (pick up to 3)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cowboy Casanova

4 16.67%
  • Temporary Home

6 25.00%
  • Someday When I Stop Loving You

9 37.50%
  • Look At Me

6 25.00%
  • What Can I Say

12 50.00%
  • This Time

3 12.50%
  • Undo It

2 8.33%
  • Songs Like This

3 12.50%
  • Quitter

3 12.50%
  • Other (Change, MS, Unapologize, PO)

3 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By epicamends
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By rainbow1

Thread: Favorite song from PO

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Favorite song from PO

What's your favorite song from Play On??

Play on love that song ☆☆☆☆☆

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    SWISLY, TT, and Quitter for me!

Cowboy Casanova! best first single ever!!! I still remember the first time I heard it for the first time! so awesome!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    My view of "Play On" is, sadly, rather harsh - but I think that stems from my less Mainstream musical background. I have to confess, though, that it is probably the Carrie album that gives me the most difficulty. Few of the songs stood out for me as really strong or memorable, and I'm afraid I've found few of them have improved with time. I regard "Temporary Home" as the best example of Carrie's songwriting in this era - but even that is one that I prefer mainly for its structure as a song. This era certainly enabled Carrie to hold her own as a fan favourite and radio stalwart - but I thought most of the songs lacked the musical or lyrical depth to really enhance her reputation. "Blown Away" came, for me, as a big relief, since I saw it as putting Carrie's song choices back on track, with some strong numbers that better reflected her enormous potential.

Only two tracks here really strike me as ones that I'd place among my Carrie favourites - the gently reflective "Someday When I Stop Loving You" , and the fiercely committed "Songs Like This" - and those are the two I'm voting for .
    countrymusicfan15 and pgk like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Someday When I Stop Loving You, What Can I Say and quitter (but I prefer the live version of TT over the live version of Quitter). I just feel the album was misrepresented. There were so many different ways that her team could have approached choosing Carrie's singles, but I think they played it fairly safe.

Concert Stars
    SWISLY, WCIS, and Look at Me ( I forgot about this until the YouTube video from earlier today)

1) What Can I Say (should've been a single)
    2) This Time
    3) Temporary Home

Concert Stars
    I love Temporary Home and the tenderness in which she sings every single word!

I'd be interested in what people feel about the high register, almost falsetto, effect, that Carrie employs briefly in some key passages of "Temporary Home", and also in one or two other places on this album. Personally, I'm not keen on it, and find it rather distracting.

(There's a well-established tradition of male falsetto singing in Western music - Marty Robbins and Slim Whitman were obvious examples, and much of the "calling" in the Western Swing style that Carrie honoured in her Grammy tribute was performed in an artificially high male voice. I'm sure Carrie is aware of that tradition - but I'm not sure if the effect she's striving for directly stems from it. )

Concert Stars
    What Can I Say could have been a Need You Now caliber hit.

Concert Stars
    SWISLY - TH

Can't choose

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I'd be interested in what people feel about the high register, almost falsetto, effect, that Carrie employs briefly in some key passages of "Temporary Home", and also in one or two other places on this album. Personally, I'm not keen on it, and find it rather distracting.

(There's a well-established tradition of male falsetto singing in Western music - Marty Robbins and Slim Whitman were obvious examples, and much of the "calling" in the Western Swing style that Carrie honoured in her Grammy tribute was performed in an artificially high male voice. I'm sure Carrie is aware of that tradition - but I'm not sure if the effect she's striving for directly stems from it. )
    I absolutely love when Carrie goes into her falsetto-type voice. I think it works particularly well on "Temporary Home," especially the "I can see God's face" line. Her vocal delivery, to me, brings an extra gut-punch to that line emotionally.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    That's the climax of the song to me and my favorite line. I love the softness of her voice, the way she sings it. It makes me feel that he IS seeing God's face.
    epicamends likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I voted for Cowboy Casanova - loved it the first time and still do. Not thrilled with video as thought it would have been a perfect time for her to do the western theme with blue jeans and flannel check shirt and made it really country but that doesn't take away my love of the song - still love it when it comes on the radio!! Do love the other fan favorites WCIS and SWISLY - both should have been singles - would have been hits on the radio for sure!!

I actually think the video is one of her most successful, and also both the boldest thing about the song, and the strongest indication of what she was trying to do with "Cowboy Casanova". I see it as an updating and progression of tradition - which reflects the music (whereas a more literal "out with the kickers and the truckers and the cowboy angels" approach would have jarred more incongruously with the music and with Carrie's image)

Nevertheless, the overwhelming visual effect of the setting, with the all-girl beginning, the evening style dance hostess dresses, the warnings against the men, and the later arrival of the more briefly seen male figures suggest to me a "Honky Tonk Angels" scenario - but one that is updated to a sophisticated, more glossy setting - not exactly "modern", since the setting evokes a somewhat retro, twenties or thirties look - but certainly a step up from the saloon look. To me, touches like the masks, the contrast between the rather seedy outside walls and the sophisticated lounge interior, with a bar backdrop in some shots, suggest a setting more like New Orleans than a Western town.

If anyone remembers the first publicity launch of the song, it contrasted a brief clip of Tammy Wynnette, played on a juke box, morphing into Carrie's more modern, upbeat music. That in itself suggested the idea of a progression of tradition - but the video brings that idea out more emphatically. "Honky Tonk Angels", which is also built around a "dubious" night life and warnings against the hypocrisy of men, was the song that really made the career of the "Queen of Country Music", Kitty Wells, who died in her nineties less than two years ago. I believe that Carrie and her director were consciously addressing a similar theme - but developing the setting in line with the development of the music itself. Despite the more sophisticated gloss, I think Carrie is still saying that women can face some of the same issues, and today's Country singers can still portray them, in a way that reflects the passage of time.

Here's a reminder of the video itself, which, at least for me, did suggest the interpretation I've tried to outline:

rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Probably WCIS.

Concert Stars
    Loved reading that, Faraway!!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I actually think the video is one of her most successful, and also both the boldest thing about the song, and the strongest indication of what she was trying to do with "Cowboy Casanova". I see it as an updating and progression of tradition - which reflects the music (whereas a more literal "out with the kickers and the truckers and the cowboy angels" approach would have jarred more incongruously with the music and with Carrie's image)

Nevertheless, the overwhelming visual effect of the setting, with the all-girl beginning, the evening style dance hostess dresses, the warnings against the men, and the later arrival of the more briefly seen male figures suggest to me a "Honky Tonk Angels" scenario - but one that is updated to a sophisticated, more glossy setting - not exactly "modern", since the setting evokes a somewhat retro, twenties or thirties look - but certainly a step up from the saloon look. To me, touches like the masks, the contrast between the rather seedy outside walls and the sophisticated lounge interior, with a bar backdrop in some shots, suggest a setting more like New Orleans than a Western town.

If anyone remembers the first publicity launch of the song, it contrasted a brief clip of Tammy Wynnette, played on a juke box, morphing into Carrie's more modern, upbeat music. That in itself suggested the idea of a progression of tradition - but the video brings that idea out more emphatically. "Honky Tonk Angels", which is also built around a "dubious" night life and warnings against the hypocrisy of men, was the song that really made the career of the "Queen of Country Music", Kitty Wells, who died in her nineties less than two years ago. I believe that Carrie and her director were consciously addressing a similar theme - but developing the setting in line with the development of the music itself. Despite the more sophisticated gloss, I think Carrie is still saying that women can face some of the same issues, and today's Country singers can still portray them, in a way that reflects the passage of time.

Here's a reminder of the video itself, which, at least for me, did suggest the interpretation I've tried to outline:

I've never seen anyone else that wanted the more traditional blue jeans and checked shirt so you are probably spot on! ha Regardless the video never took away my love for the song - Funny how we all get a different vision when we hear a new song.

•