• Don't forget to remember me

6 37.50%
  • Flat on the floor

1 6.25%
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By gocountrymusic
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By JB172

Thread: What is the countiest song on SH, CR, PO, or BA LYRICALLY? (part 1)

What is the countiest song on SH, CR, PO, or BA LYRICALLY? (part 1)

Based just on the lyrics for each week vote for the one song that you think is the countriest based only on the lyrics.

This poll is meaningless. A song can't be "lyrically" country. Lil Wayne rapping about Jesus, beer and trucks wouldn't be country.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I disagree actually, the problem is its just really subjective. It might not be the subject matter that makes a song country but the way it is told. I feel that "country lyrics" can best be defined as a cohesive narrative that talks about something normal people aka non-celebrities can relate to. Based on my feelings of what a country song is I would go with Don't Forget To Remember Me for this poll with Cupid being a very close second based on the title alone.
    Farawayhills and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Define "countiest" and I might give an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lstname89 View Post
    Define "countiest" and I might give an answer.
    in this case the one that you think tells the story/the moment/the emotion the best.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    You missed my joke. It's a sad day!

In the poll you have it as countriest, but the title of the thread says "countiest"

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    This poll is meaningless. A song can't be "lyrically" country. Lil Wayne rapping about Jesus, beer and trucks wouldn't be country.
    No, I disagree - I think it does make sense. If he sang a song written with Country lyrics, the lyrics would still be Country, even if his interpretation wasn't. The lyrics refer to the themes, imagery and wording used in the songwriting, not to the singer's style or musical influences.

Out of the songs listed in the poll, I'm picking "Don't Forget to Remember Me" as the one that strikes me as having the lyrics which most evoke the idea of a Country song. It includes several classic Country themes - the initial eagerness to leave, the implied loosening of family ties, the looking back to a lost security, the central focus on the mother's concern, the tension implied in things not going too well, but feeling the need to pretend they are, the religious allusions (lines like "Here's a map and here's a Bible If you ever lose your way" and "But Lord I feel so small sometimes in this big old place" are I think rather unlikely to figure in a number one radio song outside Country - and the word "memaw" for grandmother might not even be recognized outside.

If anyone sang the lyrics of DFTRM, in whatever vocal or instrumental style, I think it would still be pretty clear that they were singing a song that originated in the Country genre.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    What if Lil Wayne put a couple of banjos in it too? lol

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    As others have said I would go with DFTRM.

•