Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By allamericangirl8
  • 1 Post By robinannhunt
  • 2 Post By PRGuy79
  • 1 Post By ydumarp
  • 1 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan

Thread: What is the greatest song Carrie has ever recorded?

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars

What is the greatest song Carrie has ever recorded?

I thought about making this a poll, but there would need to be like 100 possible answers lol so...

In your opinion, what is the greatest song Carrie has ever recorded? and why?

For me, it would have to be Someday When I Stop Loving You. There is something about the tone of Carrie's voice and how it blends with the music...just BRILLIANT. It is so soft and tender and yet so POWERFUL at the same time. Plus, it has got a super relaxing vibe to it. I just love it!!! and actually, the fact that it was never released as a single may even make me love it more...I definitely didn't have this outlook a year and a half ago lol

Concert Stars
    You have to define "greatness."

Greatness is usually defined by a song that has great impact, influence, acclaim, and popularity. SWISLY wouldn't really fit the bill on any of those. JTTW and BHC would, though.

On the other hand, if you mean "best" -- a song that's not necessarily your favorite but is the best written and executed -- then I can see SWISLY making it, even though I disagree. I would say Wasted, though. I can't really explain it. I just consider it the ultimate Carrie song. It embodies everything about Carrie, it's the first track off the first album and the last single off the first album, an introduction to what makes Carrie Carrie, it's absolutely flawless, and it's absolutely timeless.
    jaks_weyn and dsfox2009 like this.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I could listen to Carrie sing IKYW over and over and over. What a voice.
    gabulldogmom likes this.

Concert Stars
    For me, it will always be "Jesus, Take the Wheel" - for several reasons. First of all, the message speaks to my heart and expresses the faith that Carrie and I share in such a beautiful way. Secondly, as her first single, this established Carrie as a serious artist, rising to the top of the charts for multiple weeks and launching the career of the artist we continue to celebrate today! JTTW became an instant classic and will forever be one of Carrie's signature songs.
    Marie2011 and JB172 like this.

Concert Stars
    Wine After Whiskey. Lyrically its the best song she's ever written. I technically, it's fantastic. I've been in love with this song since I heard the title. It's mature and it will be one of her biggest hits when she releases it probably next year.

And honestly, Wheel Of The World./Blown Away were incredibly produced. The instrumentals were fantastic, they're creative, and metaphorical (Wine After Whiskey falls under these categories too don't get me wrong).

Obsessed Carrie Fan NC State Carrie Fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think Blown Away would take the cake for me not just cause its her song thats out right now but its lyrically and musically the most in depth song shes ever recorded by far but I also love So Small and Jesus Take The Wheel

I have to say "So Small". It's the song that introduced me to Carrie. Always got chills everytime I listen to it, she sounds superb. It is the first #1 hit of Carrie co-writes, although maybe for some the lyric is kinda cliche, but it has a big impact on me. The music video makes me cry (or at least wanna cry) from the first time I watched it until now. Everything about SS is a hit-home for me.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGuy79 View Post
    For me, it will always be "Jesus, Take the Wheel" - for several reasons. First of all, the message speaks to my heart and expresses the faith that Carrie and I share in such a beautiful way. Secondly, as her first single, this established Carrie as a serious artist, rising to the top of the charts for multiple weeks and launching the career of the artist we continue to celebrate today! JTTW became an instant classic and will forever be one of Carrie's signature songs.
    JTTW is mine too.
    PRGuy79 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm gonna have to say BHC. Not because I think that it is technically her best song or vocal performance, but I feel as though this is the song that made Carrie the artist she is today. Think about it...would Carrie be as BIG as she is now without this song? While I love every song of hers (no joke...every single one of them haha), there are so many people out there that are not Carrie-obsessed as we all are. One of the main reasons that everyone knows who Carrie is, besides winning Idol, is because of BHC. So while it may not be the song with the greatest lyrics or best instrumental in her repertoire, it is going to be the song that is still played thirty years from now on country radio above all of the others.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carrieismy1idol's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    JTTW is mine too.
    It's Mine Also

Quote Originally Posted by dsfox2009 View Post
    I'm gonna have to say BHC. Not because I think that it is technically her best song or vocal performance, but I feel as though this is the song that made Carrie the artist she is today. Think about it...would Carrie be as BIG as she is now without this song? While I love every song of hers (no joke...every single one of them haha), there are so many people out there that are not Carrie-obsessed as we all are. One of the main reasons that everyone knows who Carrie is, besides winning Idol, is because of BHC. So while it may not be the song with the greatest lyrics or best instrumental in her repertoire, it is going to be the song that is still played thirty years from now on country radio above all of the others.
    It's definitely the song that influenced Carrie's career the most. It defiitely gave her her persona, and in no small way opened up the doors to the biggest hits that would later come - LN, CC, UI and GG. Not only did it do wonders for her career by not letting her fade from the mainstream spotlight, but it helped give her a "tag" that is very important.

New Carrie Fan
    So small .

Junior Carrie Follower jonas_underwood_fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    JTTW & Blown Away.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Tough question.Ill say Before He Cheats,Jesus Take The Wheel or Blown Away.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Tough question.

I think BHC has opened the most doors for Carrie, in the sense that it made her the superstar she is today, and it ended up being one of the last HUGE crossover country hits that didn't have a remix. That alone proves the popularity and likeability Carrie has across all genres, which isn't an easy thing for any country artist to achieve.

Since BHC, I think Carrie has gotten an even firmer grasp on her sense of who she is as an artist, and I don't think that would've happened, had she not had so much success with BHC. She was able to step out of her comfort zone and prove to people that she could be something other than the sweet, little innocent Okie girl.

The sass in Carrie's vocals combined with the clever lyrics and COUNTRY arrangement made for a great song. I think the success of BHC proves that ANY artist can be massively successful, and genres boundaries don't matter if you have the talent and "relatability" to sell a song. Carrie obviously already had the vocal talent, but I think the attitude in the lyrics and performance is what made so many people take notice of Carrie and the song itself.

Plus, I'm sure it paved the way for Carrie to sing songs like "Undo It," "Songs Like This," "Cowboy Casanova," and other material with a little more pop/rock influence and lyrical attitude. If she had only been successful with singles like JTWW, DFTRM, SS, etc, I doubt she would've had the courage to record the type of material she's putting out now (TBC, BA, GG).

It seems to me that Carrie has finally put her foot down and said "this is who I am," especially during the BA era; I don't think she would've had the chance to be so assertive had she not had the success with BHC, honestly. Now she has the crossover appeal, and people still remember that song as being a huge smash, too. I can't remember any other country song that had no remix that had received such a massive, universal response.

Lady A, Taylor, Rascal Flatts and TBP have all had huge songs on pop radio, but I'd be lying if I said I don't think Carrie's crossover appeal and the massive response/appeal of BHC had nothing to do with that. I think she has erased some of the stigma that has come with being a former Idol winner even more so than Kelly Clarkson. She proved you can come roaring out of the gate being who you are (JTTW), and still take a risk and manage to get people to take notice (BHC).

I think Carrie proved you don't have to pigeonhole yourself into one genre, simply because that's who you label yourself as. She proved you can play many different 'roles' on one album and be incredibly successful. You don't have to be a redneck or sing sappy love songs or be the "inspirational ballad diva" to be successful on radio or in other genres, even in country music. Imagine that.

I think Carrie is a very smart woman, and she KNEW that people struggled to take her seriously an artist at first. Being able to put her foot down and respect country music while singing HER music that shows off her unique influences made her the artist she is today.

Had she chose to record the same types of songs or pigeonhole herself the way so many others have, I don't think she would be where she is today, and I don't think people would have the same perception of artists like Carrie, Kenny, Lady A that they do now. Shania, Dolly and Garth may have started the movement, but it takes an artist like Carrie, who's willing to step out of her comfort zone and not accept the 'norm,' to keep that moving forward.

I think "So Small," "Jesus, Take The Wheel, "Mama's Song," "Temporary Home," etc, define who Carrie is as a person and artist, but the riskier songs are the ones that stand out enough to get her noticed outside of country music (BA, TBC, GG, etc).

Both are equally important from an artistic and personal standpoint, but I think being able to stand out and take risks and show that you have the ability to be massively successful (while coming off a show like Idol, no less), says a lot more about who Carrie is AND who she has become as an artist over the last 8 years.

In the future, I see BA as being Carrie's most iconic song, though. I think BHC got Carrie to where she is today, but BA is the song that shows she has now come full-circle. It's the perfect hybrid of country/pop, it's risky, it has crossover appeal, and it was all done superbly well. If she continues to move in the direction of BHC, TBC, BA, etc. I think may of her songs could end up fitting this definition, too.

But for right now, I'm going with BHC, just because of it's massive impact and the way it has influenced the direction of Carrie's current musical style.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Concert Stars
    So Small, Jesus Take The Wheel and Before He Cheats

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Obviously Thank God For Hometowns

Concert Stars
    Wasted

It was so overshadowed by BHC. I think the melody, the lyrics, the tempo, and everything else is perfect. And it is absolutely my favorite.

•