Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed Carrie Fan AnthonyLovesCarrie's Avatar

Will "Oklahoma Wind" be on album #4?

A lot of us fans were up set when "Oklahoma Wind" didn't make the cut for Play On, but how confident are you that Carrie will include it on this album? And if she doesn't, would you be upset or disappointed?

Concert Stars
    I would love to see it as a bonus track at least....but I am not sure as we have begged for it for 3 years now, with no results. lol

I am sure her team saw all our threads and begging for the song by now... lol. So they will either throw us a bone, or they will ignore us for whatever reason. Maybe they don't see it as a strong enough song for some reason, but I think it is a superb song.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I've honestly never heard that song in my life, so I can't say. But it's all you guys have talked about for a long time, so it must be good. So yes.

I was never able to hear it either, but from all the dialogue about it on here, I sure hope it's on the album. I would really like to be able to listen to it and I'm sure I'd love it as much as everyone else does.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    It's a really great song, and I really hope it makes the album

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    I have that awesome song on sound cloud. Been awhile since I logged in. Hope I still remember login info. Not sure if I can post link on here or not.

Junior Carrie Follower Carrielover21's Avatar
    Im OBSESSED WITH THIS SONG! I havent been able to find Carries version on youtube for a while. Does anyone have it? I want to listen to it so bad!!!

I kind of doubt it'll be on the new album, but I'd be happy to be wrong. That said, I don't think I'll mind if it isn't, because the working tape version is beautiful as is.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrielover21 View Post
    Im OBSESSED WITH THIS SONG! I havent been able to find Carries version on youtube for a while. Does anyone have it? I want to listen to it so bad!!!
    Just Google her name & soundcloud & song name.

Concert Stars
    Well I said ALONG TIME AGO IN A LAND FAR FAR AWAY THAT PRINCESS CARRIE WOULD CALL HER NEW ALBUM OKLAHOMA WIND..... So yes I believe that if the album is called OKLAHOMA WIND then OKLAHOMA WIND will be on OKLAHOMA WIND .....Of course after yesterday she could of wrote a song called OKLAHOMA SHAKING.....But that's another story .... Oh and may THE FORCE BE WITH YOU MY FRIENDS.......

Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    Well I said ALONG TIME AGO IN A LAND FAR FAR AWAY THAT PRINCESS CARRIE WOULD CALL HER NEW ALBUM OKLAHOMA WIND..... So yes I believe that if the album is called OKLAHOMA WIND then OKLAHOMA WIND will be on OKLAHOMA WIND .....Of course after yesterday she could of wrote a song called OKLAHOMA SHAKING.....But that's another story .... Oh and may THE FORCE BE WITH YOU MY FRIENDS.......
    I just found Oklahoma Wind and it is so beautiful...now I know what everyone is talking about!!! And Russ, you're too funny...Oklahoma Shaking was right...kinda scary for us Okie's who've never been in an earthquake before...we're used to tornadoes.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks, Carrie&Taylor (are you also Fan4Carrie?). Earlier, I'd only heard Jon Randall singing it (Great guy, but somehow, not quite reaching me like Carrie )

Here are the lyrics:

"I leaned upon a fencepost and watched that cloud of dust
    Billow through the wheat fields behind his old blue truck
    I stood there for hours and I watched that windmill spin
    While all my dreams were scattered by the Oklahoma wind

I shook off the cold and crawled back into bed
    I could smell his cologne on a pillow by my head
    Outside I saw a robin on an ancient oak tree limb
    But her song was stolen by the Oklahoma wind

Chorus:
    I guess I should have seen it coming
    And heard the thunder in the clouds
    I tried to make him change direction
    But I couldn't tie him down
    Every time I think he's here to stay
    he blows away again
    It's like stopping the rain, trying to tame the Oklahoma wind

Someday the dust will settle but I can't wait that long
    I need to find a quiet place and shelter from the storm
    I know it won't be long before he comes rolling in
    But I'll be gone, moving on like the Oklahoma wind

(Chorus)

Every time I think he's here to stay
    he blows away again
    It's like stopping the rain or trying to tame the Oklahoma wind
    I can't stop the rain and I can't tame the Oklahoma wind.
    "[/i]

It was co-written by Jon Randall and Bill Anderson - the same team who wrote the outstanding song "Whiskey Lullaby" (which should be a strong recommendation for picking future songs)
    Jon Randall comes from a similar West Texas background as the Dixie Chicks. He formerly played in Emmylou Harris's band, the Nash Ramblers, and shared a Grammy for for Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal in the '90s. Bill Anderson is an Opry veteran writer and performer, who is known to be a big admirer of Carrie.

The most likely reason the song wasn't on "Play On" is that "Some Day When I Stop Loving You" was picked, and Carrie's "Young Country" career and mixed fan base tend to limit the number of songs of that type likely to be included.

However, as a Roots fan, I also suspect there may be a secondary reason that tended to tip the balance against it. "Oklahoma Wind" is also the title of a different song by Billy Joe Shaver.
    Although the two songs are not alike in subject matter, and it's very common for songs to re-use titles - the problem in this case is that the first "Oklahoma Wind" song could be considered "off message" in Nashville. The Mainstream industry is notoriously cautious - Billy Joe is an iconic figure on the Texas and Oklahoma Outlaw and Red Dirt scenes, but some in Nashville would not like people assuming a possible connection between the two titles. Also, the subject matter of the earlier "Oklahoma Wind" would appear controversial to some in Nashville. So, unfortunately, I do think, given a bit of Mainstream paranoia, the title may have worked against it.

Here's the first "Oklahoma Wind" (Billy Joe's not Carrie's), in case anyone wonders what I'm talking about.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Carrie Underwood - Oklahoma Wind (acoustic demo) by Fan4Carrie on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here is the link to Carrie's acoustic version.

Very beautiful. Has a "Someday When I Stop Loving You" feel to it.

I have always wished for Oklahoma Wind to be included in her album ever since I first heard the Jon Randall demo, and even more so when I heard Carrie's demo of it. IMO it is the most beautiful song that Carrie co-wrote. If she won't include it on this new one I hope someday she will find a spot for it on her future albums.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think there's a good chance she will release it at some point. It seems a type of song she's fond of (for example, she called SWISLY her favourite from Play on). Also, the title links it to her home State. And collaborating with Country "greats" is definitely a strand in her love for the genre. I don't think we've heard the last of that song.

one can only hope she will release OW on if not this album the next. Its a beautiful ballad and I love Carries ballads.

Concert Stars
    I doubt it will be on the new album and I wouldnt be disappointed. It was three years ago, Im over it lol

Is it an amazing song? YES! but im ready but a bunch of new songs.

Concert Stars
    I really feel the only reason it wasn't on "Play On" was because "Someday When I Stop Loving You" was. Carrie said some awesome songs did not make the album simply because they didn't fit the album. The two songs definitely have the same theme and definitely have similarities. I prefer "Oklahoma Wind" and I feel like by no other artists recording it in the time since it has been written, that is a good sign that Carrie was holding it for her next album. I think Carrie knows she has a gem on her hands with that song and I bet it is already recorded and tracked to be on album #4. Pretty confident.

I'd also love the album to be titled "Oklahoma Wind".

Quote Originally Posted by CUFan7 View Post
    I really feel the only reason it wasn't on "Play On" was because "Someday When I Stop Loving You" was. Carrie said some awesome songs did not make the album simply because they didn't fit the album. The two songs definitely have the same theme and definitely have similarities. I prefer "Oklahoma Wind" and I feel like by no other artists recording it in the time since it has been written, that is a good sign that Carrie was holding it for her next album. I think Carrie knows she has a gem on her hands with that song and I bet it is already recorded and tracked to be on album #4. Pretty confident.

I'd also love the album to be titled "Oklahoma Wind".
    I agree with you completely since I've now heard Oklahoma Wind. I do hope she has saved it for this album.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    If OW fits on this album, I'd love to hear her finished version of it. However, if Carrie doesn't think it fits on this album, then that's okay, too. At least we have the working tape to enjoy!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast