Thread: Album Themes

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea

Album Themes

I just want to confirm if what I'm thinking are the right themes Carrie had in her past albums...
    For Some Heart, it's about growing up. . .
    For Carnival Ride, letting go (?)
    For Play On, it's all about love. . .

Do you think that's right?

i'm excited for the theme of Album 4... wonder what's it going to be...
    You can't tell much by the song titles yet...
    But looking at some of Carrie's co-writes, maybe it's going to be about being blessed... JMO...

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks_weyn View Post
    I just want to confirm if what I'm thinking are the right themes Carrie had in her past albums...
    For Some Heart, it's about growing up. . .
    For Carnival Ride, letting go (?)
    For Play On, it's all about love. . .

Do you think that's right?

i'm excited for the theme of Album 4... wonder what's it going to be...
    You can't tell much by the song titles yet...
    But looking at some of Carrie's co-writes, maybe it's going to be about being blessed... JMO...
    I think you are right about Some Hearts, but I think Carnival Ride was more of a mix match of various songs....not really a set theme....Ie-- there were relationship songs like FOTF, LN, I Told You So,and YWFT, etc, but then there was JAD and GOOTT, WOTW, that did not fit that theme of relationships. I don't think either PO or CR stuck to a theme.

Play On did not really stick to a theme either unfortunately. Songs like Change, Temporary Home, Play On the single, etc, were not about love, so they disrupted the theme. It started out with a love theme but they did not stick to it, which is one reason that it got mediocre reviews. I hope they stick to a theme for album 4.

I for one, hope Album 4 is about love and relationships, and that they finally stick to one theme like they did in Some Hearts. I think the song titles are pointing in that direction so far. Ie-- she has songs like "Loved by You", "Heartbreak Boots", "Set it on Fire", etc. Those songs to me are about relationships.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Had not gone so far as to think beyond wanting new music to even think we'll soon have a new cd cover and more pictures and so excited!! I personally never mind the whole "mix" of music but totally want Carrie to have the best of reviews on this cd so whatever it takes I hope they succeed. Seems like I heard in an interview Carrie admit she has had the probablem of sticking to a theme so I think they will really try to do it this time. Wish she could put out two cd's - the second include all the songs that don't fit on the first one. Don't want to see any of them thrown away!! She has never sung a song I didn't like so to think she has all these that are never heard is so sad!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I think you are right about Some Hearts, but I think Carnival Ride was more of a mix match of various songs....not really a set theme....Ie-- there were relationship songs like FOTF, LN, I Told You So,and YWFT, etc, but then there was JAD and GOOTT, WOTW, that did not fit that theme of relationships. I don't think either PO or CR stuck to a theme.

Play On did not really stick to a theme either unfortunately. Songs like Change, Temporary Home, Play On the single, etc, were not about love, so they disrupted the theme. It started out with a love theme but they did not stick to it, which is one reason that it got mediocre reviews. I hope they stick to a theme for album 4.

I for one, hope Album 4 is about love and relationships, and that they finally stick to one theme like they did in Some Hearts. I think the song titles are pointing in that direction so far. Ie-- she has songs like "Loved by You", "Heartbreak Boots", "Set it on Fire", etc. Those songs to me are about relationships.
    I don't think a a making of a great cohesive album has to concentrate solely on the same subjects or sounding the same necessarily.

Just look at Some Hearts. it was a great album and what made it great was that it wasn't JUST about same things ( love and relationships). it had a great variety and a set "Coming of age" theme.

different subjects like what's sung about in "Change", "Play On", "Temporary Home" wasn't what necessarily broke off the album. I think it was more about the direction.

Some Hearts also had completely different subject songs like the ones Play On had.

For instance, Some Hearts had JTTW (Temporary Home), Don't Forget To Remember Me (Mama's Song), Wasted (Play On), We're Young and Beautiful (This Time) Whenever You Remember, Lessons learned, <-- All different subjects, yet it all tied together

having a variety of different songs is GOOD, it's just how the songs are APPROACHED and dealt with that can make or break an album.
    it's ALL about the THEME and how the different songs can somehow tie in together and carry a similar UNDERTONE for the whole album.

Ty
    I'd say the overall message of Carnival Ride would be that the world's big & a lot of things happen that are out of our control. That's what I've always got from it at least.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

I completely agree, Chrissy.

Making a great, cohesive album isn't just about the production or flow of the record to me.

PO has some great songs, and it seems like the direction it was headed is not where you end up by the end of the record.
    Some of the songs are so near to Carrie's heart, but others just seemed like they were slapped on. I wish she would've continued with the songs that are more personal & heartfelt to Carrie- I feel like she started to go there & then abruptly threw out the idea towards the end.

Although I feel like SH was made with the intention of pleasing both pop & country fans, there are so many little peices that tie it together.

There was a strong set of songs & the way they were placed on the album didn't seem jarring or awkward, as it does with the other two at points.

On SH, I feel like we were starting a journey with Carrie & by listening to the record it came full circle- you really have a full picture of who Carrie is as an artist and as a person.

On CR, I still feel like the direction was still pretty clear.

I think that record has more of a message of finding yourself & learning to find your place, building relationships,but also learning to leave them.

Although there were songs that could seem misplaced (TMBIM, Crazy Dreams), they're just so unmistakably Carrie. They help fill in the picture of her journey and who she is.

On PO, none of these things quite redeemed the album.

You get an idea of the message Carrie wants to convey, and then it's mixed in with "Change", "Temporary Home" and "Play On."

Some of the songs are so different lyrically and musically it throws the listener off- it's hard to have a clear idea of where the record will end up.

Concert Stars
    Main reason why I would want Carrie to focus on one single theme: Get good great critics and hopefully win some awards.

As a fan, I like diversity and I love Play On to death. The "Play On" era turned me into a Carrie Underwood fan in fact!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

I completely agree, Chrissy.

Making a great, cohesive album isn't just about the production or flow of the record to me.

PO has some great songs, and it seems like the direction it was headed is not where you end up by the end of the record.
    Some of the songs are so near to Carrie's heart, but others just seemed like they were slapped on. I wish she would've continued with the songs that are more personal & heartfelt to Carrie- I feel like she started to go there & then abruptly threw out the idea towards the end.

Although I feel like SH was made with the intention of pleasing both pop & country fans, there are so many little peices that tie it together.

There was a strong set of songs & the way they were placed on the album didn't seem jarring or awkward, as it does with the other two at points.

On SH, I feel like we were starting a journey with Carrie & by listening to the record it came full circle- you really have a full picture of who Carrie is as an artist and as a person.

On CR, I still feel like the direction was still pretty clear.

I think that record has more of a message of finding yourself & learning to find your place, building relationships,but also learning to leave them.

Although there were songs that could seem misplaced (TMBIM, Crazy Dreams), they're just so unmistakably Carrie. They help fill in the picture of her journey and who she is.

On PO, none of these things quite redeemed the album.

You get an idea of the message Carrie wants to convey, and then it's mixed in with "Change", "Temporary Home" and "Play On."

Some of the songs are so different lyrically and musically it throws the listener off- it's hard to have a clear idea of where the record will end up.
    this.
    I also thought CR also had direction on it.
    Carrie's "theme title song" on the album, "Wheel of the world" is one of my faves and it summed up the album the best I believe. "Love goes out, out like a light Out like a flame, and you can't find it anymore Just when you think it's lost in rain It comes back knocking at your door" (<-- I told you so, I know you won't, You won't find this) "God put us here on this carnival ride We close our eyes never knowing where it take us next Babies are born and at the same time, someone's taking their last breath" (<--- Crazy Dreams, All American Girl) "It can open your heart It can break you apart and it never even slows down (<-- Just a Dream, So Small). "It's the wheel of the world turning around and around..."
    What a carnival ride, indeed!

It's funny, most of my TOP favorite songs are on the 2nd and 3rd album but SH is just an amazing album as a whole. Recently, I put it on speakers and listened to the whole album the whole way through (something I haven't done in a LONG time) and I was just blown away. When it finished, I truly felt like I've just gone through a journey with Carrie. Even the corny idol coronation song closed out the album quite nicely. I loved the production on it on it as well. between two producers, it felt very well balanced

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDollyDee View Post
    Had not gone so far as to think beyond wanting new music to even think we'll soon have a new cd cover and more pictures and so excited!! I personally never mind the whole "mix" of music but totally want Carrie to have the best of reviews on this cd so whatever it takes I hope they succeed. Seems like I heard in an interview Carrie admit she has had the probablem of sticking to a theme so I think they will really try to do it this time. Wish she could put out two cd's - the second include all the songs that don't fit on the first one. Don't want to see any of them thrown away!! She has never sung a song I didn't like so to think she has all these that are never heard is so sad!!
    That is not a bad idea. Have one main cd for the critics and industry, etc-- that has a nice cohesive theme and all the songs flow together nicely. Then, include a bonus disc with a mishmash of the rejects that are still probably great songs still.... lol We will love them even if the critics don't. lol

Concert Stars
    I see your point about Some Hearts and agree with you. But I think Change should have been an Idol Gives back itunes charity single. It is a wonderful song and I love it-- but it did not fit on the album. It was too obviously meant to inspire charity, and the critics were actually right about that one. I disagree with most of what they say, but the song stuck out like a soar thumb on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    I don't think a a making of a great cohesive album has to concentrate solely on the same subjects or sounding the same necessarily.

Just look at Some Hearts. it was a great album and what made it great was that it wasn't JUST about same things ( love and relationships). it had a great variety and a set "Coming of age" theme.

different subjects like what's sung about in "Change", "Play On", "Temporary Home" wasn't what necessarily broke off the album. I think it was more about the direction.

Some Hearts also had completely different subject songs like the ones Play On had.

For instance, Some Hearts had JTTW (Temporary Home), Don't Forget To Remember Me (Mama's Song), Wasted (Play On), We're Young and Beautiful (This Time) Whenever You Remember, Lessons learned, <-- All different subjects, yet it all tied together

having a variety of different songs is GOOD, it's just how the songs are APPROACHED and dealt with that can make or break an album.
    it's ALL about the THEME and how the different songs can somehow tie in together and carry a similar UNDERTONE for the whole album.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    Main reason why I would want Carrie to focus on one single theme: Get good great critics and hopefully win some awards.

As a fan, I like diversity and I love Play On to death. The "Play On" era turned me into a Carrie Underwood fan in fact!

Agree. As a FAN, I love everything Carrie does and I would take 30 albums of mismatched songs just to get more material from her. lol

But as someone who wants Carrie to get critical respect and acclaim finally, as well as win awards, I want her to focus more on producing a theme and a cohesive unit that flows nicely.

Ie--- The Dixie Chick's "Home" album is incredible...all the songs flowed nicely. Coldpay's last album was outstanding as a cohesive unit too. All the songs fit together. It was brilliant.

Adele's new album is brilliant and sticks to a theme....with all the songs flowing nicely together.

It's basically a Katy Perry versus Adele what you're looking at here. "Teenage Dream" was considered by many to signal the official DEATH of the 'album' as we know it. The CD was a randomly organised collection of radio-friendly club-friendly pop singles. It was successful in its own right.

Adele's 21 on the other hand (or even SWSRN's SN) are the last bastion for the record. They still follow themes, album flow, etc.

New Carrie Fan
    I can't wait for a Christian theme like Gospel songs.

•