Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Last Carrie song you heard?

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Blown Away. My job always plays Carrie songs.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think Keep It Country (Europe's only dedicated Country Music TV channel) is giving Carrie pretty good support - though my impression is that much of that is due to the young female presenters who host some of the shows.

I mentioned Shauna McStravock above - a young singer from Northern Ireland - who has a Carrie clip on her Facebook page. She closed her show today by screening in full Carrie's performance of "How Great Thou Art", with Vince Gill's accompaniment and guitar solo. This emotional performance, with audience reaction, shows Carrie at her best, and I think would be well received by this channel's audience.

As a guide to what is well received in today's dedicated Country market in the British Isles, this is a recent release by Shauna McStravock herself (the song is associated with the late Linda Hargrove, and is also the title of a girls-only Country Music talent competition, which has been held annually since the 1980s). Stylistically, I'd regard it as generally quite Pop-Country, but also leaning more Traditional than Carrie or her American market today usually expect.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXol-GyhlIQ

That channel's audience tends overall to be more Traditional-leaning, and less Americana-leaning than the internet stations, or some of the BBC's flagship shows. (I'm using Americana there as a stylistic term, veering towards progressive Roots music, and Traditional as the older radio style of "core" Country). Neither the Traditional nor the Americana styles would be the areas Carrie is most associated with at home - but, as I don't believe she would be willing to present as a Pop artist to gain more international support, she would probably aim for somewhere between those approaches - neither of which automatically think of her as one of "their" artists.
    I think everyone respects her, and admires her vocal range - but don't always find her music a particularly natural fit for their playlists. Through her live performances here, and internet streaming, Carrie has wider support, going beyond people who would normally listen to Country - but gaining actual airplay here has often been more difficult. That is why the support of the younger women (whom that channel give prominent spots to in their scheduling) is likely to be particularly important in demonstrating her blend of traditional awareness with often quite daring innovative approaches.
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Heard Just a Dream in the grocery store this afternoon. Heard Remind Me in a Mexican restaurant bar tonight. Her vocals on JAD are impeccable and so beautiful.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Another snippet of news from the Country Music channel that screens in the British Isles - Sandy Kelly (a classic Country vocalist) hosts the show "Sandy's Favourites", and this evening she screened a clip from the Linda Ronstadt tribute concert that Carrie took part in. Although, unfortunately, it wasn't Carrie's Different Drum solo (to which I'm not sure if they would have the re-broadcast rights), it was still good to see Carrie singing with the legends, and standing right in front of Waddy Wachtel, and clapping to his guitar solo.

As a digression, it reminded me of how much I'd love to see more of Carrie covering classic songs - a side of the female Country tradition that she's good at, but seldom seems to explore. As an example of what I mean, this is the host, Sandy Kelly, performing "Sweet Dreams" (a Nashville Sound classic, written and first recorded by Don Gibson, and later made famous in a version by Patsy Cline.) I think Carrie has a voice made for material like this, which would fit well as an occasional extra recorded track or concert show piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9nw7IUjIlU
    txacar likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar
    Heard Cry Pretty twice. Full version both times
    txacar likes this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Undo it and cry pretty
    txacar likes this.

New Carrie Fan
    Listening to Just a Dream at the moment, such a sad song...
    txacar likes this.

Concert Stars
    Love Wins
    I seen someone in Twitter describe it as a grown up version of So Small and that blew my mind.

•  
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567