• 3 Post By Ty
  • 1 Post By supercarriefan
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills
  • 4 Post By liveasong

Thread: Blown Away (song) Interpretation

Junior Carrie Follower sosmallgirl's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Blown Away (song) Interpretation

I'd like to hear everyone's different interpretations of the song. I've heard several different ones, for instance, that it's talking about an abusive father and that it's not about the twister at all. Thoughts?

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I see it as a song about a girl whose mother died and who lives with her abusive, alcoholic father. A tornado is coming and instead of waking her dad and warning him, she ignores him and protects only herself by locking herself in her storm cellar. She wants her life of misery with her father to be "blown away".
    clh_hilary, Hil and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I don't think there is any doubt that Blown Away is more about the abuse the girl suffered than the actual twister. The twister serves as a symbol of the turmoil in the girl's life, and, as the lyrics in the chorus suggests, the twister signals a change for the girl because her father will be "blown away" and no longer able to abuse her.

Concert Stars
    ^ Agree. Now, if the abusive dad actually dies or not.....remains to be seen. I like to think he does. We'll see in the video, maybe?

Ty
    I don't think there's any room for interpretation.
    Hil, clh_hilary and abbeyjones18 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    I don't think there's any room for interpretation.
    I didn't really think so either, but I thought I'd reply with an answer to clear things up for those still in doubt lol.
    Hil likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Although the singer's Daddy is described as a drinker, and meets his probable end because he's too drunk to be aware of the approaching storm - it's clear from the lines about "washing the sins out of that house" and "ripping the nails out of the past" that there was a lot more than alcoholism involved in the girl's comment about "sweet revenge". Exactly what is left to the listener to supply - and that adds to the power of the song

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I kinda take the song in the "literal" sense, rather then figuratively...

Concert Stars
    MY INTERPRETATION

Carrie Underwood, also known as the Greek Goddess of high winds and heavy storms

Concert Stars
    I like the idea that the chorus of the song is the girl's prayer. The hook specifically says "There's not enough rain.../There's not enough wind..." but then in the chorus it goes "Nothing left of yesterday," to imply that in fact this twister did get rid of the past. The girl prays and prays that it will all be Blown Away.

That's my interpretation of it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    MY INTERPRETATION

Carrie Underwood, also known as the Greek Goddess of high winds and heavy storms
    Yeah! 100% ♥

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think "Blown Away" is about a girl who has gone through turmoil and abuse because of her father's drinking problem. Although it's only implied, I think that perhaps the mother being gone made a dangerous situation even worse for the daughter, because she had to protect herself once her mother was gone. I also agree that the twister seems to be a serve as a symbol of her traumatic relationship with her father, and she wants it to be "blown away" along with the troubles of her past. I like the idea that the chorus suggests the girl is hoping her past will be blown away so she can look forward to a better future. It seems realistic because even though destruction is horrific, when its gone and the pain and fear has left, it leaves you with a sense of peace, to imply "Thank goodness that's over, but now I'm OK."

Ben Foster reviewed "Blown Away" for Country Universe, and he implied the house had fallen on the father during the twister and it killed him; I thought that was an interesting interpretation. The lyrics themselves seem to suggest a quiet, but massive type of destruction, so that scenario makes a lot of sense.

At first I was a little disappointed the lyrics didn't tell us how the father died, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. There are many ways a volatile situation/relationship cause havoc, and I like that there's enough drama, but it's not too over the top.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I think it's very interesting that one of the co-writers of this song...Josh Kear also co-wrote Martina McBride's song Wild Rebel Rose. Take a listen to that song...it is also about child abuse and one of my favorites by Martina that was never released as a single.

Carrie Guru
    To be honest, I don't really pay any attention to the lyrics --BUT I like this interpretation very much

MY INTERPRETATION

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    MY INTERPRETATION

Good one liveasong. I love this pic.

New Carrie Fan
    When I listen to this song I picture an old, creepy house in the middle of nowhere. Its just kind of this house of horrors where this girl has been the victim of abuse at the hands of her alcoholic father for many years. The song is unclear about whether or not the father actually dies, its also unclear whether or not he killed the mother. There is a part in the song that calls her leaving her father out to die "sweet revenge" and I thought that maybe could be a payback for him killing the mother.

•