Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Blown Away vs. Play On

Concert Stars

Blown Away vs. Play On

Hi guys,

Typically I'm wary of starting new threads, but I feel this one is worth it. Think of it more as a blog post from a dedicated fan. Feel free to respond with your thoughts.

After listening to the 'Blown Away' album nearly non-stop for 10 days now, I believe it's just THAT much better than 'Play On', and I really liked that album from Carrie a lot. These 2 albums are so diametrically opposed, they're in different stratospheres...and that's WONDERFUL. The overall quality of lyrics and melodies are miles beyond PO, it's amazing. Nearly miraculous, dare I say.

She has truly showed her growth and maturity in a way I was afraid we'd never witness. She's avoided being too cliche with 'Blown Away' in certain aspects like not using particular songwriters, e.g. Kara DioGuardi, Max Martin, and Raine Mada (or whatever his name is from Our Lady Peace). 'Mama's Song', 'Undo It', 'Quitter' and 'Unapologize' (while certainly some are catchy and fun to listen to, and goodness knows I LOVE playing those on guitar) did absolutely nothing for Carrie as an artist. In fact, I'd like to argue they maybe set her back in her career (at least from a critical/peer point of view). That sounds completely harsh, I know, but I believe it's true. Heck, Carrie may even admit it.

I can recall listening to 'Play On' for the first few spins not really sinking my teeth into a lot of the tracks. I didn't really get it. I didn't hate the songs by any means, but I felt no attachment, mentally or emotionally, to most of the tracks ('Someday When I Stop Loving You', 'Temporary Home', and 'What Can I Say'..heck, even 'This Time', being my lone exceptions...). I still to this day do not understand why MS was released as a single, other than it having special meaning for our girl, which is understandable so I let it pass. Love you, Carrie.

The lyrics of some of the songs didn't really even make sense to me in certain aspects. Like UI with 'you stole my happy.' What? Happy is a direct object/noun now? Kara, Kara, Kara...why? Carrie, must I ask? Why? So you can see my frustrations welling up as I'm typing this, I'm sure. I'm a grammar freak. I'll let 'ain't's and such pass, but this??? LOL I knew Carrie was smarter, and she certainly deserved better.

I think what I'm trying to convey here is Carrie has truly taken the time and the effort needed to make a transition from being really good to being excellent. She's even said this publicly. God bless her.

From the recent award drought (I'll be the first to admit I was even blind to the fact these last couple years maybe Carrie didn't deserve some of the awards I thought she should have won at the time...) until today, we know Carrie Underwood has grown both personally and professionally. She's taken the time to be, as she's stated in a recent interview, "thoughtful", in her song selection and album making process. I'm truly thankful for this. All of us are.

All this time of freaking out over no awards, no recognition, and no new music seems so silly now, doesn't it?

I cannot wait to see what the rest of 2012 and 2013 have in store for Carrie. Great things come to those who wait, and God's timing is always perfect. After being "Blown Away", we know it's Carrie's time to thrive.

Let's be thankful, sit back, and enjoy this ride.
    Last edited by hockey2k5; 05-02-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I also thought "back in the day" Carrie deserved AOTY for play on and after hearing blown away I see just why PO wasn't an AOTY winner. We all wanted it for her, but looking back it just wouldn't make sense. That's not to say it didn't have some GREAT songs, Temporary home was great and I still think it should have won something, but the album as a whole was very (hate to say it) but generic other then a few songs.

BA brings the best of Carrie's talents to the forefront. She's not just showing off her gorgeous pipes anymore, she has shown us she can be THE whole package! This is an album you can listen to all the way through and not skip. I don't know about others but I will say this, BA is my FAVORITE ALBUM OF ALL TIME! I thought at first it was just because it had been so long since I've heard her sing new material. But you don't listen to a disk 12 times over and over just because it's new. That didn't happen with PO or any other album I own.

Carrie has come back guns a blazing! This is THE album of the year. I'm talking CMA, Grammy's. ACM, CMT, Billboard, etc. Be ready for award season people. Blown away is a force to be reckoned with. To hell with critics, the fans will tell who is the true artist.

BA is the last album and we were always like "now THIS album is much better than the last one". I remember when CR was released people were telling about how good it was. And then when we had PO people start telling CR was overproduced and Carrie was oversinging and belting every song. And I clearly remember most of us were like "PO is not overproduced and it flows nicely as opposed to CR".... And then it's funny now to read all of this for BA and start reading critics for PO.... So wait till we have album #5 :P

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by _luvqry View Post
    BA is the last album and we were always like "now THIS album is much better than the last one". I remember when CR was released people were telling about how good it was. And then when we had PO people start telling CR was overproduced and Carrie was oversinging and belting every song. And I clearly remember most of us were like "PO is not overproduced and it flows nicely as opposed to CR".... And then it's funny now to read all of this for BA and start reading critics for PO.... So wait till we have album #5 :P

Lol exactly. As much as I wanna say BA is the best yet, I am holding back for a little bit until all the hype in my head settles down.

Of course according to metacritic, BA is the best lol

Concert Stars
    I was just about to make the exact same post.

Concert Stars
    I agree with what you're saying as well.

Primacy-recency theory means we're pretty much in the clouds over this latest album. I am. I admit it

Still, I've never really expressed feelings about her albums with others before. I felt pretty strongly about it this time. Hence the sharing

But, you're right. Each album will be different and have a different feeling for all of us as hindsight is 20/20.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Didn't feel this way about PO at all. I maybe listened to it all the way through twice.

Concert Stars
    ^I most certainly did feel that Play On was incredible when it first came out. I remember saying these exact words with regards to Play On: "I knew the CD would be good, but I didn't think it'd be better than Carnival Ride!!!"

Looking back, Carnival Ride is a much better CD (to me) than Play On. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I'm just the type of person that needs to let the album sink in for a few weeks before I start making definitive statements like that.

Concert Stars
    BA and PO don't even compare, for me. I don't even listen to PO anymore, at all, period. Except for Temporary Home.

This album is miles and miles ahead of PO.
    Lstname89 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    ^I most certainly did feel that Play On was incredible when it first came out. I remember saying these exact words with regards to Play On: "I knew the CD would be good, but I didn't think it'd be better than Carnival Ride!!!"

Looking back, Carnival Ride is a much better CD (to me) than Play On. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I'm just the type of person that needs to let the album sink in for a few weeks before I start making definitive statements like that.
    I remember when I heard PO, I didn't think it was Carrie's best album yet (I don't think I could ever bring myself to like a Carrie album more than SH), but there were songs on the album that I thought were her best songs to date, and I liked some songs way more than others that I don't even listen to anymore. I was infatuated with Songs Like This, for instance. I think it's one of the only songs I gave an 11/10 rating in my review. Now I can't even remember the last time I listened to it. Songs that I dismissed initially (This Time, Look At Me) have risen up the ranks and become some of my favorites. The only song that hasn't really changed for me is What Can I Say, which I still think is one of Carrie's best songs to date.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    hm, I feel like Carrie has rightfully deserved her awards....I can honestly say I've never liked every song from an album until now...and i've never been able to sit through an entire album until now. I'll just say I like the diversity.....because my ipod is totally all over the place, so this album pretty much suits my musical tastes lol. I've loved all of her albums, but I really only listen to certain songs. That being said I rarely buy entire albums of anyone ...I buy everything Carrie has ever done lol
    I totally think Carrie's deserved each and every award she's won. Now it's time to rack 'em up again, baybee
    Hil likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I mean I didn't think it was horrible, I just didn't like that many songs on it. I loved and STILL love CC, in fact its the top played song on my iPod. I just knew she could do better, but it was in the back of my head sort of deal for me. I remember buying the album, and saying "alright this HAS to be epic!!!" I put it in my player and listened all the way through... I came away feeling a bit disappointed. Did I tell people that?? Absolutely not, I told everyone it was amazing. I tell everyone everything she does is amazing, just because I'm a HUGE fan.

I have had BA for a day now and I had been listening to the stream too. There isn't one song I don't like. IT NEVER HAPPENS! Yeah, yeah, maybe her next album will be even more epic, and so be it. But it won't make BA any less to me. It will just mean she's OUTDONE herself again. That's an artists goal is to get better and better.

I believe she took a step back with PO after CR, not to say that she made a mistake but I do think she felt too rushed. She had a lot going on, and she was just trying to keep relevant to the fans. I think she knew that she needed some time to explore herself and her life as a young woman before creating BA. She had a somewhat slow (for her) 2011. I think she used that time wisely. Duet with Randy, Brad, Steven, and Tony Bennett. I think her "quiet time" was to gather herself and be with Mike. Anyone notice how much more confident she seems now? Anyway, I think those experiences led to her finding who she is as an artist, and I truly believe the real Carrie is who we see in the BA era. Go Carrie!

Concert Stars
    Interesting to read your guys' opinions on previous albums. PO is the only album that had songs I didn't like, and those two songs were Unapologize and Play On. I can't think of a song off the other two albums that's bad or filler. Especially CR. That record was just monster after monster.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Interesting to read your guys' opinions on previous albums. PO is the only album that had songs I didn't like, and those two songs were Unapologize and Play On. I can't think of a song off the other two albums that's bad or filler. Especially CR. That record was just monster after monster.
    CR may still be her fave album of mine. Difficult to rank them all in a 7 year period. But BA>>>PO.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Liked on PO:

Temporary Home
    Cowboy Casanova
    Undo It (just because I love to run with it playing)

Liked on CR:

Last Name
    Just a Dream
    So Small
    I Told You So
    Wheel Of The World
    Twisted
    I Know You Won't
    Get Out Of This Town
    You Won't Find This
    Flat On The Floor

Liked On SH:

Jesus Take The Wheel
    Before He Cheats
    Wasted
    Don't Forget To Remember Me
    Starts With Goodbye
    I Just Can't Live A Lie

Liked On BA:

All of them

Concert Stars
    I think Some Hearts just came out at a time for me where that was exactly what I wanted to hear. It's very accessible to high schoolers, and it really meant something to me at the time. So I'll always have really fond memories of that one. It's either Some Hearts or Blown Away as her best for me, but as I said before I will refrain from definitive statements for a couple of weeks.
    CarrieFaninAZ and hockey2k5 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    In fact I have Casanova tattooed on my left calf. Mainly because it's my nickname, small part because I think of Carrie when I see it.

Junior Carrie Follower Daydreamer81's Avatar
    A lot of the songs on Play on it took me a while for me to like and even now some of them I don't listen to them very often. All of the other albums i listened to/liked every song except for maybe 1 or 2. At first i thought the reason i didn't like play on so much was that i was becoming less of a fan but now with the hype of Blown Away and after listening to the actual album i know that this is not the case. I say Blown Away is her best album let there's not one song I dislike. For me right now the rank of her albums goes like this.

Blown Away > Carnival Ride > Some Hearts > Play on

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    hm, I feel like Carrie has rightfully deserved her awards....I can honestly say I've never liked every song from an album until now...and i've never been able to sit through an entire album until now. I'll just say I like the diversity.....because my ipod is totally all over the place, so this album pretty much suits my musical tastes lol. I've loved all of her albums, but I really only listen to certain songs. That being said I rarely buy entire albums of anyone ...I buy everything Carrie has ever done lol
    Oh, don't get me wrong... I think she actually deserves more then she has. Just not for PO. I too love the variety on BA, My iPod has EVERYTHING on it. Just more Carrie and Country then anything. One song you might hear Blown Away, the next could be a song by AC/DC, Eminem, or Theory Of A Deadman, LOL!

My excitement when PO was released was simply because I was excited to get new music from her. Whatever she sings, she always sounds amazing.
    But truthfully, I don't listen to the whole album all the way through. Most of the songs never lasted for me. As of right now, I only listen to SWISLY, LAM and occasionally SLT from that album. Deep down, when I read reviews for PO, I knew Carrie could do much better with picking better quality songs and trying different sounds.

I love many songs on CR, but I've always always felt that I couldn't take in the whole album all at once because it was just.... loud. Really loud. But because comments like that are generally not well-received, I kept that to myself during that album era.

With BA, I can honestly say that as I listen to every track for the 30th time, I marvel at the songwriting (whether Carrie had a hand in it or not), the stories, the production, her vocal versatility and nuance etc. Unlike PO, I wasn't just excited about hearing Carrie's voice on new songs, I was and AM truly excited about everything in BA album. It's a VERY good sign for me that, I will still be listening to many tracks from BA months/years from now.

Can she do better than this album? Of course she can! There's still room for improvement. The aim of BA is to showcase to everyone just what Carrie is capable of when she's allowed to take more artistic control, and to NEVER, EVER underestimate her. And I think BA did achieve just that, with flying colours.

I look forward to the 5th album, where it will most probably blow away Blown Away.
    Lstname89 and Hil like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast