Page 73 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2448
Like Tree2349Likes

Thread: American Idol Season 12

Concert Stars
    Ok, so last time, I went back "again" and watched Funny Valentine. I will at least say this.
    I personally prefer the "tightrope" style of her singing with the full bodied tone and "by the seat of your pants" runs that she does, to Angie any day of the week.
    It just feels more authentic. It feels raw and real. It is much much more complicated and difficult to execute than anything Angie is capable of.

But!!! it is not perfect. And if perfect is what we are looking for than no, Amber is not our girl.

But as just a breath of fresh air with a wild will to blow, I do love her interpretive choices when she sings.

Ha ha ha ha but I am going to put this to bed once and for all and commit to the fact that she will go this week.

(in case america pulls a stunt and Candice goes he he he he he)
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Actually no. That's not true. Her voice is not fine technically. I don't mean to create a problem but when someone is easily carried "off tune" without the use of vocal enhancement mechanisms, they are not fine technically. She'd be a mess without accompaniment.
    Her voice isn't easily carried off pitch. She does have a few sharp notes in each performance, but I've never heard her go off more than that. And usually it's only a few cents off, not like twenty or thirty, so it's not that noticeable. Could you name specific instances?

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Thems are fighting words..........

In Carries season, the best voice almost lost to a "flavor of the month".

Luckily, she sang like her life depended on it, And the best voice won!!
    I remember Vonzell having more skill than Carrie, but I could just be having a racist memory and assuming the black girl had a better voice, not even lying. x)

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Thems are fighting words..........

In Carries season, the best voice almost lost to a "flavor of the month".

Luckily, she sang like her life depended on it, And the best voice won!!
    And she did it with an injured eardrum and in severe pain.

Concert Stars
    One thing I loved about Carrie during her season is she never made any excuses. Sick? Injured eardrum? No problemo.

Concert Stars
    And she literally poured her heart out everytime she openned her mouth.
    Not a note was thrown away.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Concert Stars
    Ha ha ha......

I thik it is fair to say Vonzell had more skill, but I even hesitate as I write that. Carrie shows a great deal of calculated skill when she sings, where as natural r&B style singing just has alot more movement in it (runs and molezma).
    Vonzell was agruably doing what she just naturally "does" and that does not automatically suggest skill.
    Carrie on the otherhand was not showing the gymnastics that Vonzell was, but her interpretive ability within the style that she was singing was very accomplished.

When you want to talk about who is a better singer, it becomes difficult if you are talking across style barriers.

Patsy Cline never had to do any kinds of gymnastics to meet the requirements of her style, but her delivery was so poised and artistic it was mesmorizing.
    Where as someone like Chaka Khan blasts to the roof with no sublty at all but is delivering a dynmite vocal.

I think Carrie sang better than Vonzell. If you add every component together.

I think Amber sings better than Angie for the same reasons. Even though the styles are switched.

Concert Stars
    Well, Carrie doesn't use proper technique, and if memory serves correctly, Vonzell did, so that's why I was saying Vonzell was technically better, because her technique was better. Again, though, this is just to my recollection. The non-special contestants kinda all run together for me eventually.

Carrie Guru
    You don't need to be technical, you need to move people.

Just for fun.....

Concert Stars
    I think each of the remaining contestants have their strengths and are beyond great singers. Vocally the best top 4 ever! No one can touch the power in Candice's voice or her runs (Lovesong). When Angie is at the piano singing something she believes and can feel, she's the best (her original song). There is no one with as much emotion and beauty as Kree vocally (Help Me Make It Through The Night). Amber has a big range and a lot of strengths as well (What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life).

I just like country so I gravitate to Kree. Plus how can you not love the girl that irons everyone's clothes?
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Which is why the most skilled isn't usually the winner. :P
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    So I went back and listened to Vonzell. IT was actually not quite as good as I remember her being.
    There was a lot of good going on, no doubt. And she was doing things technically that are probably not in Carries wheelhouse.

But the Patsy Cline / Chaka Khan analogy comes back to mind.

Two very different styles of singing. And both are singing what comes naturally to them.

When its that good, it starts to become about who you like better.

I am still of the feeling that Angie does not stand up to any of who we have discussed thus far.
    Carrie/Chaka/Pasty/Vonzell/Amber........

Concert Stars
    Lol I wouldn't put Amber up there either. Only Candice, honestly.

But like I said earlier, I don't think any of the top 4 are stars. Great batch of vocalists, but I don't personally see much potential in any of them post-Idol.
    opry051008 and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars

Just for fun.....

And so this is where the debate regarding art starts and stops.
    Is art when you can make someone feel something?
    Is art the mastery of a craft or technical ability?
    I think it is the combination of both. And I don't think it is fair to get too lost in one or the other.

This is a perfect example of a moment or opportunity to make people "feel" something. Napkin commericals do that to.

This was not good singing.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Just for fun.....

Love that,a far sight better then any performance on Idol this year imo.
    Mirasa45A likes this.

Concert Stars
    So TV ratings news has Idol as 3rd place even among "competition shows" this week.

Voice - #1
    DWTS - #2
    AI - #3

I think it is still a healthy franchise but I also think it is clear that its run as the #1 show for 9 straight years is over.
    What makes it difficult is when competing shows want to "go up against" each other.
    A 12 year old show is going to suffer with newer product coming out.

My take on voice is that between the four judges, there is just enough chemestry to carry the show.

(I tuned in lastnight and I just don't like the format at all. And I don't see any interest in any of the contestants. So I really think this show is about the judges. And frankly, without Adam #1 and Blake #2, the show itself would be in a world of hurt)

And I gotta say I am still surprised that so many people are still interested in watching these singing shows.

Carrie Guru

Just for fun.....

Thank you for posting this . This is pure God's given talent and emotion ! LOVE, LOVE this !

Concert Stars
    [QUOTE=allamericangirl8;4450600]Her voice isn't easily carried off pitch. She does have a few sharp notes in each performance, but I've never heard her go off more than that. And usually it's only a few cents off, not like twenty or thirty, so it's not that noticeable. Could you name specific instances?

Could you tell me one single redeeming instant in this entire song? She should have been evicted and sent to musical prison after that performance. My ears still hurt.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post

Could you tell me one single redeeming instant in this entire song? She should have been evicted and sent to musical prison after that performance. My ears still hurt.

Thanks for posting a video! You're right; that performance is awful. :x I actually don't hear many pitch issues, though. The problem is that she's freaking screaming the whole time. That's one of her worst problems, I think. Her voice can easily sway from being strong and clear to being shrill. Each contestant has her Achilles's heel (Amber's clumsy delivery, Kree's polish, Candice's runs during every word), but Angie's shrillness is the worst.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

I kinda feel alone here because I loved Amber since she sang My Funny Valentine and then I Believe in you and me.
    I don't think she's a star nor she will get the same success Carrie and Kelly achieved but I really do like her and even more than Angie. I'm sorry but Angie = drama to me.
    Smokyiiis and pklongbeach like this.

•  
    Page 73 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast